Why do I get so angry?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Happy_hobnob

Mar 11, 2023
Anger. Frustration. Irritation.

We all feel it from time to time. Sometime it just explodes at our kids, our spouse, our co-workers and we wonder if there’s something dark lurking inside us.

Anger doesn’t have to run or ruin your life. In fact, if you learn to manage anger correctly it can give insight into areas of your life where you're living short of all God intends for you.

The thing you probably want answered first is, “Why do I get so angry?”

The simple answer is: You get angry because you have some hopes and dreams for yourself and your family, but all around you are threats to those dreams.

When you get angry at something happening to you, it’s always because of something happening inside you. Anger isn’t a sin. It’s just a sign. It’s a sign that one of your hopes and dreams is being threatened.

There are three specific hopes and dreams that we all have. We want:

1. Security: (physical, financial, emotionally)
2. Connection: (relationships, feeling valued and accepted)
3. Control: (feeling empowered to make choices and have options)

We get angry when we feel one of those three is being threatened.

When you start feeling that threat, your brain energy shifts away from your prefrontal cortex (the problem-solving part of your brain.) At that point, all rational and reasonable thought basically shuts down. So we have to step away, take a deep breath, calm down, and get thinking straight again.

Take a moment right now and think about practical and healthy ways you can calm yourself down when you get angry or irritated things like prayer, breathing deeply, or taking a walk so you respond in a way that doesn't turn your anger into sin.

When you start feeling angry, read your favorite verses a few times, then calm yourself down in a healthy way.

God bless you all

Thanks
Thanks for sharing, I call anger irritation and frustration, internal combustion,
Not necessarily a mind issue, but more a natural part of our health and hormonal mechanism s. That when combustion starts to arise are emotions become stimulated, arousing hormones to fly around inside our body to bring down combustion to a lower level,

Sometimes tho combustion requires a release of energy, which if we don't help that in anyway befor combustion reaches a critical level, then then our hormones take over our rational thinking, to the point where irrational thinking can occur lol.

Jun 20, 2022
Abraham learned his Nephew Lot was hostage and in return he killed hundreds and took their possessions and then not long afterwards gave 10% to the pre incarnate Jesus, Melchizedek, Abraham's personal High Priest.

Clearly, this type of anger Abraham revealed in setting Lot, his Nephew, free was accepted by God and God accepted 10% of the tithing of the spoils.

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
Yes, His anger is righteous always, ours is most often not, would you agree?
Most often, yes, but sometimes it’s righteous and there’s nothing wrong with being angry when it comes to defending righteousness.

oyster67

May 24, 2014

We all feel it from time to time. Sometime it just explodes at our kids, our spouse, our co-workers and we wonder if there’s something dark lurking inside us.

Anger doesn’t have to run or ruin your life. In fact, if you learn to manage anger correctly it can give insight into areas of your life where you're living short of all God intends for you.

The simple answer is: You get angry because you have some hopes and dreams for yourself and your family, but all around you are threats to those dreams.

When you get angry at something happening to you, it’s always because of something happening inside you. Anger isn’t a sin. It’s just a sign. It’s a sign that one of your hopes and dreams is being threatened.

When you start feeling that threat, your brain energy shifts away from your prefrontal cortex (the problem-solving part of your brain.) At that point, all rational and reasonable thought basically shuts down. So we have to step away, take a deep breath, calm down, and get thinking straight again.

Take a moment right now and think about practical and healthy ways you can calm yourself down when you get angry or irritated things like prayer, breathing deeply, or taking a walk so you respond in a way that doesn't turn your anger into sin.

When you start feeling angry, read your favorite verses a few times, then calm yourself down in a healthy way.

God bless you all

Thanks
Amen! Good post. (y)
Anger shows us where we need to grow and where we need to die to self.
I often get frustrated when I forget that God is always in complete control and allows things to happen for our ultimate good.

Romans 8:28
“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

Vascowon

Mar 21, 2023
I think people are getting angry because they lack humility. We should learn how to humble ourselves and how to be meek. God does not like us being angry with eachother, angry behavior is a sin that we should try to overcome.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I agree and disagree. I agree anger's a sign of something going on within us; but it's also sinful.

"Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." Galatians 5:19-21

Anger is sinful and we need to get rid of it, not manage it.
anger isn’t sinful , if you see a grown man beating a small child it should make you angry. If you see a six five man rob and beat an eighty year old woman it should engine fury and anger because your witnessing injustice wickedness abuse predation like animals the strong predating upon the weak

My point is God gets angry furious at times with the wickedness in the world it isn’t sinful

anger is a conduit within man if we harbor it in our heart it can lead to sin , but it’s not sinful God gets angry just like we do at the right things to be angry about

There is a righteous anger within man that won’t lead to sin and we do have to manage that because it’s not sinful there are simply things in this evil world that will make a Christian , who’s morality is being shaped after Gods morality , angry.

The other day I saw a video on the news on a school bus a sixteen year old young man was mercilessly beating an eight year old girl on the bus in front of twenty kids and a bus driver on video

i have to tell you the instant I saw it I became irate furious even totally upset at the thought of what I was seeing

i don’t think I’ve sinned brother I think it’s evidence that God is working on my morality compass the right way being mad about someone offending me is not the way , being mad about evil is another matter we do have to still manage our feelings and emotions in this world

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Most often, yes, but sometimes it’s righteous and there’s nothing wrong with being angry when it comes to defending righteousness.
Hey Snacks,
Just thinking on this why does one have to be angry to defend righteousness certainly one can be dispassionate and defend what is right?

Vascowon

Mar 21, 2023
Hey Snacks,
Just thinking on this why does one have to be angry to defend righteousness certainly one can be dispassionate and defend what is right?
I got mad when my nephew in grade two is talking about how two men or two women can adopt a baby and have a normal family.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
I got mad when my nephew in grade two is talking about how two men or two women can adopt a baby and have a normal family.
Yes this angers me too, I am only asking if we have a right to have this anger according to biblical principles or is it the domain of God?

I really do not know, I guess that is an oddity here where everyone is an expert. Just having fun, don't get angry now. :);)

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
Hey Snacks,
Jesus overturned the tables in the temple. He scolded the Pharisees and Sadducees. He referred to Herod as a fox. We are created in the image of God, and one attribute we have is an emotion of anger. Is it godly to walk through life angry all the time? No. But trying to eradicate a human emotion is a lesson in futility at best.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Jesus overturned the tables in the temple. He scolded the Pharisees and Sadducees. He referred to Herod as a fox. We are created in the image of God, and one attribute we have is an emotion of anger. Is it godly to walk through life angry all the time? No. But trying to eradicate a human emotion is a lesson in futility at best.
I see.

Okay let's tease this out a bit,

Do you think that Jesus as the Messiah always had perfect righteous anger?
I think He did.
However, my concern is that jealousy is a human emotion as well, God states He is a jealous God, however are we allowed to be jealous?

This has has been an unresolved question in my mind over the years.

I am thinking and I am now of the mind that human anger is part of the flesh and should be regarded as part of our fallen nature.

Having said this anger is an important survival emotion in certain situations, so I dunno if it always a sin.

“Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil” (Eph. 4:26-27).

So it seems there is a line that can be crossed.

Joelightening

Feb 27, 2023

God bless you all

Thanks
Anger is not good. People get angry when they don't get what they want. They also make themselves a judge of others and wish to inflict punishment upon them. When people get angry, it is a sin. I overcame many years of anger with help from God. Remember, vengeance is mine says the Lord. I will repay. Leave vengeance with God. Pray for those who trouble you and treat you wrong. If someone is a threat to you or your family, you can ask the Lord to move them away from you.

L

Locoponydirtman

Mostly folks who have anger issues have unresolved hurts. Plus being a sinful human (we are all sinful humans) compounds the problem. My advice is to pray and give those hurts over to Christ, forgiving the one who did the hurting. Understanding that hurt people, hurt people.

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
I see.

I think He did.
However, my concern is that jealousy is a human emotion as well, God states He is a jealous God, however are we allowed to be jealous?

I am thinking and I am now of the mind that human anger is part of the flesh and should be regarded as part of our fallen nature.

Having said this anger is an important survival emotion in certain situations, so I dunno if it always a sin.

“Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil” (Eph. 4:26-27).

There’s definitely a line that can be crossed, specifically when anger inflicts pain, be it physical, spiritual, emotional, financial, social and maybe a few other ways that don’t come to mind right now

jb

Feb 27, 2010
A few thoughts.

Gal 5v19-21: "Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like..."

"Outbursts of wrath," Greek, "thumoi" plural of "thumos," (Strong's NT: 2372):

Passionate Explosions Of Anger “Thumoi."

“Thumos,” occurs in Luke 4v28, Acts 19v28, Rom 2v8, 2Cor 12v20, Gal 5v20, Eph 4v31, Col 3v8, Heb 11v27, Rev 12v12, 14v8,10,19, 15v1,7, 16v1,19, 18v3, 19v15. It speaks of “stirring emotions,” then, “a flair up of temper,” or “passionate explosive outbursts of anger. “Thumos” anger is “great but transient anger,” and is “like fire in straw;” which distinguishes it from “orge” (Strong’s NT:3709) anger; which is a long-lasting anger and cherished in the memory. “Orge” is used to speak of God's weighed judicial verdict; His anger of justice. Rom 1v18, Eph 5v6, Col 3v6, Rev 6v16,17, 11v18. etc.

“Thumos” can be used of anger in a good sense, of righteous indignation.

“Thumos” is used to speak of God's explosive righteous anger in His judgmental acts in the Great Tribulation, and on the great day of His wrath at Christ's coming. However, Paul states that anger (“orge") and wrath (“thumos”), are now resting upon all those who are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness. Rom 2v8. Our Lord's anger in Matt 23, shows that it is very necessary to be angry at injustice and evil; anger can be an instrument of God's purposes; indeed, it is a sin not to be angry at times. God's “thumos” anger springs from His love; and gives us a revelation of His heart and mind, and His great concern and care for His creation.

“Thumos” can speak of outbursts of uncontrolled harmful rage.

“Thumos” anger, and “orge” anger, and bitterness, clamour, evil speaking and malice, are to be put away from us; and are to be replaced by tender-hearted forgiving love. Eph 4v31,32. The “thumos,” explosive temper; and the “orge,” brooding anger; are to be “put off,” with the other evil works of the flesh. Col 3v8. In Matt 5v22, Jesus said that those who are angry with their brother without cause, are liable to judgement. “Without cause,” is in the Majority Text. We can be angry, and yet not sin. Eph 4v26. In 2Cor 12v20, Paul states his fear that he would find outbursts of anger in the church at Corinth, along with other works of the flesh. Paul warns them that violent outbursts of "thumos" anger and bitter smouldering "orge" anger, injure the weak and innocent, and destroy homes and churches.
Further to my post above:

The way to conquer and crucify the works and desires of the flesh, is by receiving life in the spirit

Paul exhorts us not to make any provision for the lusts of the flesh, Rom 13v14; but to cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of flesh and spirit. 2Cor 7v1. The law of the spirit and life in Christ makes us free from the law of sin and death. Rom 8v1-4. Walking in the Spirit means that we shall not fulfil the lusts of the flesh; and by the Spirit's power we are able to crucify the works of the flesh, and put off the sins of the flesh. Col 2v11, Gal 5v16,17,24. We are not to allow sin to reign in our bodies, but to use them as instruments of righteousness. Rom 6v6-23. Paul says that Christians are “spiritual,” “pneumatikos” (Strong’s NT:4152) when they walk and live in the Spirit. 1Cor 2v15, 3v1, Gal 6v1. Our spiritual weapons are not “of the flesh,” “sarkikos.” 2Cor 10v4.

The conflict in the soul for the soul

Two totally opposite forces seek to dominate the soul, and Gal 5v17 shows us that victory comes through the Spirit of God. Two forces lined up in conflict with one another, “allelois antikeitai,” like trench warfare. When the Spirit of God dominates, moulds, and controls, it produces godly fruit of character. When the flesh dominates and controls, we find the evil works of the flesh. The domination of the Spirit produces life, the domination of the flesh produces corruption. Gal 6v8.

We Should Not Confuse The Works Of The Flesh With Possession

Some books on demon possession name the evil spirits that possess a person as spirits of envy, of lust, of anger, of pride, etc., and in some books dozens of such names are given. There is no basis in Scripture for this. These preachers have confused the works of the flesh with demon possession, for what they call demon possession, Paul clearly calls works of the flesh in Gal 5v19-25. The Bible clearly distinguishes between the world, flesh and the Devil, and so should we. 1John 2v15-17, 1Pet 5v6-9. Let us now consider these works of the flesh.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I see.

I think He did.

The etymological root of jealous is zeal. God has a zeal for His people, just as Jesus did for
His Father's house (the temple). Reading up on the differences (and similarities) between
these two words may deepen your understanding.
Here (<= link :)) is a good place to start .:D

Jun 20, 2022
There’s definitely a line that can be crossed, specifically when anger inflicts pain, be it physical, spiritual, emotional, financial, social and maybe a few other ways that don’t come to mind right now
Odd isn't it?
You are driving down in the bad areas of town, where people are lost, trapped, deceived, high on smack, trying to escape their present reality. Anywhere from 15 year old children, YOUNGER, to grown old adults, abducted into a life that our Adversary prepared for them. Now, I don't know about you, but, if it were Possible, I'd love for God to allow me to Physically Assault the Enemy of God. Beat em right up to just before the very breathe of life left them.

I think about Abortions, the types of Sin, things our Society has Legalized as Normal, and so much more. Someone, deserves, a real butt whooping. I know God will give it, but, how SWEET would it be, if God's plan, to whoop them, included, my fists obliterating them

L

Locoponydirtman

Odd isn't it?
You are driving down in the bad areas of town, where people are lost, trapped, deceived, high on smack, trying to escape their present reality. Anywhere from 15 year old children, YOUNGER, to grown old adults, abducted into a life that our Adversary prepared for them. Now, I don't know about you, but, if it were Possible, I'd love for God to allow me to Physically Assault the Enemy of God. Beat em right up to just before the very breathe of life left them.

I think about Abortions, the types of Sin, things our Society has Legalized as Normal, and so much more. Someone, deserves, a real butt whooping. I know God will give it, but, how SWEET would it be, if God's plan, to whoop them, included, my fists obliterating them
To be angry at evil and sin is righteous. It is just as God is. Also i see you have compassion on the victims of evil. Also as God does. This is righteous.

Bruce_Leiter

Feb 17, 2023

God bless you all

Thanks
The healthiest way to calm our anger down, I've found, is to express it to God in persistent, private prayers. It's called lamenting, but it's not in our western culture. God taught it to me through the laments in the Bible (Job 10; Psalms 6, 22, 37, 88, and many other Psalms; Habakkuk; and, of course, Lamentations [especially chapter 3]).