Why do so many Christians end up in Hell?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GyO

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
UK
Nobody is in heaven or hell yet! I believe the dead are asleep. Paul may have said: to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. OK, to close your eyes at night: presto - it is morning. It is the same principal.

Nobody is in heaven yet: John 3:13: "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven." They are asleep.

Acts 2:29: "Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day."

Acts 2:34, 35: "For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Until I make thy foes thy footstool."

All the OT patriarchs are mentioned in Heb.11 and none of them have received their reward yet. Heb. 12 is just a reference to Mount Zion which is new Jerusalem, yet future. Heb. 11:40: "God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect." New Jerusalem is being prepared and is coming to earth with the "many mansions" that the father is preparing.

Nobody is going to heaven. Heaven (the Kingdom of) is coming to earth. At least until the 1000 years are over. But even then New Jerusalem will be here.
Heaven (the Kingdom of) is coming to earth. Rev. 5:10: "And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth." Rev. 20:6: "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years."

From this, we can deduce nobody is in heaven and nobody is going there.

The following was excerpted from another posting I had saved that answers NDEs.

Be aware that Sheol and Hades simply refers to the grave. Our doctrine of a dwelling place of the dead is inserted into Strong's Concordance as a reference. The reference in Revelation where they are tormented day and night forever, their smoke ascending forever could refer to something captured on film, therefore forever preserved. The reference in Mark 9:44: "Where their worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched" I believe is another example of that. It just does not make sense of a maggot that never dies.

All said, as I stated before all scripture has to fit together, in what we teach, or none of it is valid. Some things were presented in parables with figurative speech. Some things maybe we don't quite understand yet. God will not reveal some things until He is ready for us to know. I feel Lazarus and the rich man is a parable despite the proper names.
I can't believe how many 'christians' here are already deceived by Satan. I tell you something: in a grave there is no gnashing of teeth or being in flames. Jesus said about HELL where is unquenchable fire and torment and it is NOT GRAVE!!!

Victor1999

Jul 8, 2019
THIS POST IS VERY MISLEADING AND NOT ENTIRELY BASED ON SCRIPTURE

If by this you mean that no one is in the Lake of Fire as yet, that is correct.

This is TOTALLY FALSE. There are no souls and spirits six feet under. Just little furry creatures. When humans die, their bodies are interred in their graves. However their souls and spirits either go to Heaven immediately (if saved) or go to Hades (if not saved). And Hades is in the heart of the earth, or the lower parts of the earth, according to Christ. That would be near the core of the earth.

Resurrection pertains to the bodies which have turned to dust. At the *first resurrection* the Lord Himself brings the souls and spirits of departed saints with Him, and gives them resurrected and glorified bodies. THE SAINTS WILL NOT FACE JUDGMENT. However, at the resurrection of damnation (the second resurrection), all the unsaved dead are given bodies and then judged at the Great White Throne (Rev 20). These are the ones who face judgment.

The graves never did have souls to begin with. Just bodies.

Now this remark shows total ignorance about salvation and the finished work of Christ. Christians -- by definition -- do not face Hell.

God will have mercy on all those who obey the Gospel. If all would repent and believe all would be saved. And once they have been justified by grace through faith, they receive the gift of eternal life. NO GENUINE CHRISTIAN WILL EVER FACE HELL.

This OP is purely nonsensical, and Satan loves to bring such foolish ideas before people.
The Bible plainly says that the dead will be brought back to life to be judged. Read the book of revelation.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The Bible plainly says that the dead will be brought back to life to be judged. Read the book of revelation.
I have not said anything different. But there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between the resurrection of the just and that of the unjust.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I can't believe how many 'christians' here are already deceived by Satan.
Even if you did have something worthwhile to offer, your arrogance and insults are unlikely to garner you a hearing.

Victor1999

Jul 8, 2019
I have not said anything different. But there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between the resurrection of the just and that of the unjust.
The Bible says that the just will come back to life during the first resurrection when Christ returns. If they are alive in Heaven they can't come back to life from death because they are already alive. I don't understand you

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The Bible says that the just will come back to life during the first resurrection when Christ returns. If they are alive in Heaven they can't come back to life from death because they are already alive. I don't understand you
It is not me that you do not understand. You simply do not understand the afterlife and what follows.

1. Human beings are tripartite -- body, soul and spirit.

2. Physical death is SEPARATION -- the soul and spirit are separated from the body.

3. The body is placed in the grave and eventually turns to dust.

4. The soul and spirit have two destinations depending on their relationship to Christ.

5. The souls and spirits of believers go directly to Heaven to be with the Lord. They are very much alive in Heaven, without their bodies.

6. The souls and spirits of the unsaved go directly to Hades, where they too are very much alive.

7. The first resurrection is the resurrection of the just (the justified ones). Christ brings their souls and spirits with Him at the Resurrection/Rapture and gives them immortal glorified bodies, then takes them to Heaven. This is all instantaneous.

6. The second resurrection is the resurrection of the unjust at the Great White Throne judgment. See Revelation 20.

Victor1999

Jul 8, 2019
It is not me that you do not understand. You simply do not understand the afterlife and what follows.

1. Human beings are tripartite -- body, soul and spirit.

2. Physical death is SEPARATION -- the soul and spirit are separated from the body.

3. The body is placed in the grave and eventually turns to dust.

4. The soul and spirit have two destinations depending on their relationship to Christ.

5. The souls and spirits of believers go directly to Heaven to be with the Lord. They are very much alive in Heaven, without their bodies.

6. The souls and spirits of the unsaved go directly to Hades, where they too are very much alive.

7. The first resurrection is the resurrection of the just (the justified ones). Christ brings their souls and spirits with Him at the Resurrection/Rapture and gives them immortal glorified bodies, then takes them to Heaven. This is all instantaneous.

6. The second resurrection is the resurrection of the unjust at the Great White Throne judgment. See Revelation 20.
What makes you think that the soul is judged **before** the judgement?

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Examine yourself! Are you good enough or confident that you will pass all tests of God?!!!
Why so upset?
Do you consider yourself to be amongst the Christians who wind up in hell as you claim?

I will keep asking until you answer properly

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Im sure you read about Marty Sampson renouncing his faith?

This becomes shaky ground as to know who really believes and who doesnt. But in the case with Marty Sampson, was he a believer before he renounced his "faith"?

i don't know who that is.

i'll look it up, tho, and check in again later. :)
well i found out who that is, and read what he did say and what he didn't say. he's silly to snipe back at John Cooper IMO; Cooper has a point.

this is what i think of it:

Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow.
But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root.

(Matthew 13:5-6)
it is noteworthy that the common criticism leveled against Hillsong et al - 'modern Christian worship' - is tantamount to this. shallow soil in rocky places. receiving the Word with joy, but not developing roots. lacking doctrine. this is the complaint usually brought when discussing the content of the radio songs being played/sung in many churches these days, and the 'concert atmosphere' in the sanctuary: that it trades spectacle for depth, and emotion for truth. the same can be argued about many pulpits.

i can't say it's a surprise.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
well i found out who that is, and read what he did say and what he didn't say. he's silly to snipe back at John Cooper IMO; Cooper has a point.

this is what i think of it:

Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow.
But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root.
(Matthew 13:5-6)
it is noteworthy that the common criticism leveled against Hillsong et al - 'modern Christian worship' - is tantamount to this. shallow soil in rocky places. receiving the Word with joy, but not developing roots. lacking doctrine. this is the complaint usually brought when discussing the content of the radio songs being played/sung in many churches these days, and the 'concert atmosphere' in the sanctuary: that it trades spectacle for depth, and emotion for truth. the same can be argued about many pulpits.

i can't say it's a surprise.
I dont think we should put so much expectation on these singers. They arent preachers, or teachers, they use the gift God gave them. Doesnt mean they have sound doctrine or great faith.

They arent leaders is what im trying to say. The leaders are on the pulpit. The main leader we all look to is Jesus. Our Shepherd. Man will always fall short in one way or another.

I enjoy listening to praise and worship music, I never feel like the person singing must be a prophet or know every scripture to support what they are singing.

Im not surprised the guy is struggling with his "faith" now that he has all the money and fame. Temptation will do that when you build your faith on sand. Jesus is the rock we must build on.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Luke 6
Building on a Solid Foundation
46 “So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say? 47 I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. 48 It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. 49 But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house right on the ground, without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.”

GyO

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
UK
Even if you did have something worthwhile to offer, your arrogance and insults are unlikely to garner you a hearing.
If this is what you need to wake up and open your eyes to the truth then I do not mind being arrogant!

PERFECTION

Aug 14, 2019
We all are going through trials at certain points of our life when Satan makes requests of God to swift us and sadly many fall and do not stand up. Is it because they are lukewarm Christians or lacking of faith?
Dear Brother: In regard to these Christians who are lacking in faith or those who may be considered week in faith. God said to us when the Christ comes to his people " a bruised reed will he not break and smoking flax will He not quench. I have seen a reed that was bent over. The reed was still green but nevertheless it was bruised in the middle and to me it look to be without remedy. I have seen a candle wick when the flame was blown out nevertheless in the dark there was always this last glowing ember. They are the souls to whom Jesus is always speaking. Weakness is something all Christians know about. Remember Jesus will always be found at the bottom of the rope. May Christ give us all hope and strength. Blessing to you in Christ.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What makes you think that the soul is judged **before** the judgement?
That should be obvious from Scripture.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. (John 3:36)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Nobody is in heaven or hell yet! I believe the dead are asleep.
Soul Sleep is FALSE DOCTRINE. ALL the OT saints as well as ALL the NT saints who have passed on are in Heaven. Take some time to search out the passages which clearly say so.

Mar 28, 2016
I can't believe how many 'christians' here are already deceived by Satan. I tell you something: in a grave there is no gnashing of teeth or being in flames. Jesus said about HELL where is unquenchable fire and torment and it is NOT GRAVE!!!
Yes the dead know nothing, feel nothing, have no spirit by which he could suffer or remember why. Hell is living suffering of the wrath of God of a dying creation revealed from heaven the unseen .

A Christians suffering. . . dying...

His suffering is tempered with Christ in us. We can rest being yoked with him. like the Son of man, Jesus yoked with the father as with Jonas two parallel parables to be compared to each other as the last sign and wonder. The wonderment was fulfilled with the Son of man . Both receiving rest from our father strengthening us to finish the work he begins in us. No dead sacrifices...

Jonah 2 King James Version (KJV) Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly, And said, I cried "by reason of mine affliction" unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

And like Jonas after the third time used to signal the end of the matter they were delivered by the hand of the father. .

Cain the marked man (666) refused to buy the gospel truth and killed his brother as in out of sight out of mind .The pagan form of government.(no faith) Cain like Esau who sold their birth rites were not given the sabbath rest .But rather a increase suffering the living hell.. . . turning up the heat..

Eat, sleep and search for more food, live. Eat, sleep and search for more food, live.

The Holy Spirit had changed that work and made it hardered.as one Cain said he could not bear of his own self .recognizing only Christ could bear the wage of sin .

Matthew 26:38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying,
O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Victor1999

Jul 8, 2019
That should be obvious from Scripture.

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. (John 3:36)
The verse is true and I am also correct. Let me explain myself: who does the Bible say is 'asleep in Christ'? There are verses in God's Word that speak of the resurrection of the saints to eternal life.

wretched

Aug 18, 2019
The world consists now of nothing but false Christs (false gospels and false teachings of Christ).
Anyone can know for sure if they are sincerely seeking His Truth. Although hidden in plain sight by careful design, if you do this in sincerity you will discover that it is the key to everything:

Bread of Life