Why Do We All Think We're So Cool When We're Young?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2009
I liked grown ups when I was a kid. They were always nice to me. I never really went through a time when I felt I was cooler than grown-ups, although I didn't understand why they always seemed to tire easily and didn't like to bend down to pick stuff up..

Feb 26, 2018
Hormones. Blame it on them, they control everything.

S

Stranger36147

Seeing this thread, I'm reminded of a certain song.

[video=youtube;SSCzDykng4g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSCzDykng4g[/video]

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Hey Everyone,

Pippy's "Cray Cray Bae Bae" thread got me thinking about my own teen/young adult years and how ironic they were.

Many people here who are familiar with my posts know that I was definitely not one of the "cool" kids in school. I was just a nerd who was usually kind of in the middle, talking to people from an array of different groups, but I was definitely not seen as one of the "in" crowd.

And yet... Why did I somehow think that compared to adults, I was just so cool? :rolleyes: Why did I roll my eyes at most anything they had to say, and question most everything that was ever taught to me at the time?

The inspiration behind this thread is a recent incident in which a 15-year-old family member declared, "Don't leave me here with all these old people!!!"

And then I had to look around... and realize... that I had become one of THOSE old people.

Why is it that most of us think we're so "cool" when we're young, and that "old people" around us don't know a thing?

(Everyone is welcome to post, including the younger people who regularly visit the singles forum--go ahead--you can tell us "old" people why we're uncool. :)) I would actually be pretty interested in your answers.

As I've gotten older, I think that for myself, I've come to realize that what I really dislike isn't a person's age, but when a person talks down to me. I am a much better student to someone who says, "Hey, we can both learn from each other," rather than the person who pats me on the head and says, "You're just a baby," (and plenty of people in their 60's and 70's say that to me.)

I have no problems with people having more wisdom and life experience and wanting to tell me about it--I'm just very cautious around anyone who sees my life and my own experiences as having no value to them in return. This being said, I have to give a shout out to Magenta, notmyown, Angela, and JesusLives--I have gone to them several times for advice about different things, and they are always respectful, very encouraging, and go out of their way to never make it sound like they're talking down to me (thank you ladies ever so much!)

I greatly appreciate older, wiser people who can lead in a respectful way because it often seems so rare.

My family has a friend who is in the triple digits as far as age, and that person could easily pat a 95-year-old on the head and tell them they're just a baby, too, but I have never heard this person do that, and I hope that I can be like that when I get older (actually, seeing as the young people here would already see me as old, I guess I'd better start practicing.)

I must admit that I have to fight myself to not have a condescending attitude as well, especially when I see a post from a 24-year-old lamenting that, "I have been single my whole life!!!" (It could be worse, sweetheart. You could be me... :))

But I have met many young people who have already gone through enough heartache to cover 10 lifetimes, and so I know I need to keep asking God for help in remembering that we all have a story, and everyone has something valuable to share.

Why are we often so quick to dismiss what older people might have to teach or share with us?
I don't think i do that i try to listen and stuff but i do call them old i just called some people at work old but that was mainly cuz they were smoking and idk they are the same somehow. Anyway if i called someone old well that's what i think old is and when I'm that age then ill be old too idk why people act like beijg old is bad or something. And i don't really care if they talk down to me like when it comes to calling me a boy or a kid or stuff like that i haven't earned the right to be called a man tbh so i dont really care. But when they act loke im stupid or less intelligent, like im a five year old cuz im not their age, it's pretty annoying at times. Or when they tell us we don't know anything about certain topics, like if you say you love someone for example " you don't know what love is" like what? Just cuz im not old enough to drink i just can't learn about love? Oh OK lol. But yea that stuff can seriously get on my nerves but regardless I'll still take their advice with a grain of salt and try to compare it to the word or things oyher people that are wise told me, i don't know as many Christian adults so I can't just assume everything they say is right cuz most of the time it's the opposite of what i should do. And the old people being uncool thing if i think that which i think at times i do maybe, i would say it's cuz they are just so boring and stuff I'm not saying you have to do everything i like but so many people as they get older they lose more and more of what makes them a person lol like you don't see many old people talking about how they like to eat all the time or sports or anything really, it's like all the old people i think of just watch the news and other boring stuff that has nothing to do with what makes them unique, then you have those people who try to be 15 their whole life it's extremely uncool like dude you shouldn't be like playing with action figures at 30 i get it there's things people like to do or whatevs and that's fine but if you're just completely immature when your that old or try to be younger then you are intentionally it can come off as lame. And people who say that they can learn from younger people tend to turn around and still act like your stupid, oraybe I'm just prideful that's a thing maybe but that's it i think. I definitely don't wanna be like 40 and all i do is work and watch the news, or some other boring thing or something like dude, your a human being why can't you do human stuff like everyone else, i feel like older people, as in older then me, think they are getting old and because of that get so depressed because theyre old and just like throw themselves into a stereotype. I think I'm pretty lame though so what do i know

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I don't think i do that i try to listen and stuff but i do call them old i just called some people at work old but that was mainly cuz they were smoking and idk they are the same somehow. Anyway if i called someone old well that's what i think old is and when I'm that age then ill be old too idk why people act like beijg old is bad or something. And i don't really care if they talk down to me like when it comes to calling me a boy or a kid or stuff like that i haven't earned the right to be called a man tbh so i dont really care. But when they act loke im stupid or less intelligent, like im a five year old cuz im not their age, it's pretty annoying at times. Or when they tell us we don't know anything about certain topics, like if you say you love someone for example " you don't know what love is" like what? Just cuz im not old enough to drink i just can't learn about love? Oh OK lol. But yea that stuff can seriously get on my nerves but regardless I'll still take their advice with a grain of salt and try to compare it to the word or things oyher people that are wise told me, i don't know as many Christian adults so I can't just assume everything they say is right cuz most of the time it's the opposite of what i should do. And the old people being uncool thing if i think that which i think at times i do maybe, i would say it's cuz they are just so boring and stuff I'm not saying you have to do everything i like but so many people as they get older they lose more and more of what makes them a person lol like you don't see many old people talking about how they like to eat all the time or sports or anything really, it's like all the old people i think of just watch the news and other boring stuff that has nothing to do with what makes them unique, then you have those people who try to be 15 their whole life it's extremely uncool like dude you shouldn't be like playing with action figures at 30 i get it there's things people like to do or whatevs and that's fine but if you're just completely immature when your that old or try to be younger then you are intentionally it can come off as lame. And people who say that they can learn from younger people tend to turn around and still act like your stupid, oraybe I'm just prideful that's a thing maybe but that's it i think. I definitely don't wanna be like 40 and all i do is work and watch the news, or some other boring thing or something like dude, your a human being why can't you do human stuff like everyone else, i feel like older people, as in older then me, think they are getting old and because of that get so depressed because theyre old and just like throw themselves into a stereotype. I think I'm pretty lame though so what do i know
I guess 40 is old now.

That's ok, I have old man grip...... I could crush the air out a tennis ball.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
I would say your old when your getting around the late fifties but my mom was like " im not old and you'll understand when your older" and I'm like but your old at that point....like 30 is your prime right? After that you kinda start to suck more lol so by 60 you should be old i think idk

Feb 14, 2018
I guess 40 is old now.

That's ok, I have old man grip...... I could crush the air out a tennis ball.
Hey Tommy - if the youngies are so cool then that means we are HOT! As in hot stuff eh? LOL there is hope for us yet :p

T

Tinuviel

I would say your old when your getting around the late fifties but my mom was like " im not old and you'll understand when your older" and I'm like but your old at that point....like 30 is your prime right? After that you kinda start to suck more lol so by 60 you should be old i think idk
All a matter of perspective. For me, I never thought of my parents as old, and me dad is 65. I call 70 or 75 old, but the "old" date keeps getting pushed farther and farther back lol.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
All a matter of perspective. For me, I never thought of my parents as old, and me dad is 65. I call 70 or 75 old, but the "old" date keeps getting pushed farther and farther back lol.
Yea true idk i think ill be old really quickly xD like if my kids, if i had any, were like your old dad when im like 30 I'll just be like yup.....oldddddd i just don't really care what im called when it comes to stuff like this, now if they were to say i look like a girl they'd go straight to foster care but i doubt that'll happen cx

J

joefizz

I still remember yet don't remember a commercial that said "men" are old at 50 "women" are old at 60.

S

Susanna

Hey Everyone,

Pippy's "Cray Cray Bae Bae" thread got me thinking about my own teen/young adult years and how ironic they were.

Many people here who are familiar with my posts know that I was definitely not one of the "cool" kids in school. I was just a nerd who was usually kind of in the middle, talking to people from an array of different groups, but I was definitely not seen as one of the "in" crowd.

And yet... Why did I somehow think that compared to adults, I was just so cool? :rolleyes: Why did I roll my eyes at most anything they had to say, and question most everything that was ever taught to me at the time?

The inspiration behind this thread is a recent incident in which a 15-year-old family member declared, "Don't leave me here with all these old people!!!"

And then I had to look around... and realize... that I had become one of THOSE old people.

Why is it that most of us think we're so "cool" when we're young, and that "old people" around us don't know a thing?

(Everyone is welcome to post, including the younger people who regularly visit the singles forum--go ahead--you can tell us "old" people why we're uncool. :)) I would actually be pretty interested in your answers.

As I've gotten older, I think that for myself, I've come to realize that what I really dislike isn't a person's age, but when a person talks down to me. I am a much better student to someone who says, "Hey, we can both learn from each other," rather than the person who pats me on the head and says, "You're just a baby," (and plenty of people in their 60's and 70's say that to me.)

I have no problems with people having more wisdom and life experience and wanting to tell me about it--I'm just very cautious around anyone who sees my life and my own experiences as having no value to them in return. This being said, I have to give a shout out to Magenta, notmyown, Angela, and JesusLives--I have gone to them several times for advice about different things, and they are always respectful, very encouraging, and go out of their way to never make it sound like they're talking down to me (thank you ladies ever so much!)

I greatly appreciate older, wiser people who can lead in a respectful way because it often seems so rare.

My family has a friend who is in the triple digits as far as age, and that person could easily pat a 95-year-old on the head and tell them they're just a baby, too, but I have never heard this person do that, and I hope that I can be like that when I get older (actually, seeing as the young people here would already see me as old, I guess I'd better start practicing.)

I must admit that I have to fight myself to not have a condescending attitude as well, especially when I see a post from a 24-year-old lamenting that, "I have been single my whole life!!!" (It could be worse, sweetheart. You could be me... :))

But I have met many young people who have already gone through enough heartache to cover 10 lifetimes, and so I know I need to keep asking God for help in remembering that we all have a story, and everyone has something valuable to share.

Why are we often so quick to dismiss what older people might have to teach or share with us?
Well....ahem...cough, cough...that's because some of us...ahem...actually was cool at that point of life.

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tinuviel

I still remember yet don't remember a commercial that said "men" are old at 50 "women" are old at 60.
Ah-hem. Harrumph. Young man, if you ever were to enter into the state of matrimony, you would do well to remember that women (or most importantly the one you're married to), NEVER get old :p

Feb 14, 2018
Ah-hem. Harrumph. Young man, if you ever were to enter into the state of matrimony, you would do well to remember that women (or most importantly the one you're married to), NEVER get old :p
Well said lovely! J

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
My grandmother died when I was 24. She was 29 at the time

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I had a sociology teacher in High school who honestly thought the government should print more money, so everyone would have some.

I was smarter than Ms. Tarver. That made me cooler.
She was probably prettier than you though. :)