Why do we argue over the meaning of scriptures in the Bible among ourselves?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
All Christian people accept the Bible is true and God's words to the world.

Why do we join in community and not discuss but argue over what the various teachings or supporting passages are actually saying?
Is it up to us to translate God's words to our liking?

And why is it that in most all Christian communities the BDF, Bible Discussion Forum, is the most incendiary , drama filled, anger filled, confrontational, mean, board of any other on any Christian community site?
Do you have any ideas of how we can put it to a conclusive end?

I think that we should ask people to stop bothering us, giving them multiple chances to stop. When they refuse to stop, we need to let them know that they're being placed on the Ignore list so that they'll understand why, in the future, when you try to communicate with them, we won't respond. Then, after a period of time, I believe that these folks should be taken off of the Ignore list and given another chance. Christ gave each of us a chance . . . we owe that same consolation to each person here.

Every person on this Forum is important to me. There are no exceptions. I value each person at a basic, core level. I don't value the cruel things that are said, nor do I value the continued, repeated jabs, but I do recognize that all people have the opportunity to change how they feel inside and should be given an opportunity to be given as many chances as they ask.

I am not perfect, thus I cannot expect anyone to be perfect. I have hurt others in the past, so I am no greater than anyone who has ever lived. And because I have hurt others in the past, it seems ridiculous to point fingers. The truth is, is that we have all hurt folks in our past; we are all guilty. Therefore, if we're all guilty, then forgiveness ought to be easy. It's a wash. We're simply playing the game of the Devil as he sits back and watches us bite one another to death. All that we have to do is make a commitment to be respectful of each other's ideas and opinions. If we don't like what another has to say, just say, "Okie doke" and move on (for example). It isn't hard; it isn't a requirement that we make hard points.

I don't know about you folks, but I have a basic, core Love for each of you and it cannot be shaken regardless of anything said against me.

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
Why do we join in community and not discuss but argue over what the various teachings or supporting passages are actually saying?
Because many believe the distortion of truth is deserving of correction. The intention is valid, but the conversation could be kinder. There is a time and a place for everything, even authoritative reproof.
“These things (vs 2- "the things fitting for sound doctrine") speak and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you.” (Titus 2:15)

Regardless, the sword will cut those who hear, but we may better prepare them with gentleness.

“with gentleness correct those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth” (2 Timothy 2:25)

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

And why is it that in most all Christian communities the BDF, Bible Discussion Forum, is the most incendiary , drama filled, anger filled, confrontational, mean, board of any other on any Christian community site?
Good questions.
Why do you think these things exist?
You go first.......no, no, I insist

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021

In a perfect world what would the forum look like?

Rhomphaeam

Dec 14, 2021
England
www.nblc.church

Just between you and me bro, when I was at theological seminary some while back an Emeritus Professor called Black Rod came to me when I was cleaning the toilet block and spoke to me quietly, in such a soft voice in fact that I had to drag him by the neck into the very throne of effluence and require him to speak a little louder so that I could hear him. He smiled with an unnerving approval and then proceeded to tell me that in the future there would be a place available for the whole world to be able to train Calvinist Ministers up and set them at variance with one another to determine who would be elected to the best pulpits in the land.

Realising that he was of course quiet mad I simply smiled an unerring smile back at him and he seeing the haze of reason in my eyes, nodded knowingly. So I said, illuminating my Lord Black Rod. Then as if he were venturing into a secret that he hadn't spoken to another living soul he thrust his manic face into mine and breathlessly whispered, Illuminati, my son.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
That's interesting because I actually do re-read my comments multiple times, and again when someone icons them in one fashion or another. Were you speaking of me?
No, I was not speaking of you.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
There are many reasons for arguments. The root cause, of course, is sin (as in a fallen world, not personal sin). Many people have inadequate instruction in the Word, and are attempting to promote (or defend) views that simply cannot be defended from Scripture. There are legitimate differences of interpretation of certain verses and passages. Some people come to promote a particular divisive opinion which need not be promoted at all. Most people don't have training in logic, and may have difficulty seeing their own flaws of reasoning. Emotions get in the way, with people either getting too aggressive or too easily hurt when others disagree. Of course, ego is part of the mix as well; humans just don't like being wrong, and often would rather fight to defend the ego rather than surrender a bad idea.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Thank you for answering. Some would have avoided the question.

Love in Jesus to you,
Kelby
I asked a similar question of someone else recently, and appreciated the answer. Just passing along the grace. :)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well, nobody knows EVERYTHING...or do you?

wHen Jesus taught, even he had to explain things to the disciples they didnt quite get. Loads of times!

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

I’d say mostly it’s because of false teachings having spread through the church some believe those things others believe what’s plainly written

once a false doctrine takes root in our mind it has a blinding effect and can destroy faith causing us to reject what is plainly stated in the Bible. Doctrine is super important because it shapes how we think and believe.

It’s why we are warned so very much not to stray from the gospel and the doctrine of Christ

Whether it was Jesus saying it in the gospel or Peter or Paul or John

“But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭2:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:3-4‬ ‭

“Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.

He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:”
‭‭2 John‬ ‭1:9-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

throughout the epistles we are warned severely not to part from the truth of Jesus Christ and his word. This is not something we should ignore as so many do if we stick to the truth of the gospel we will come to agreement and this understanding

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:20-21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

false doctrine will always corrupt mankind it’s why Adam and Eve fell
Into sin and death and will always lead us to that place of we reject what God said and accept what satan said which is what false doctrine actually is the word of the devil

all we have to do is stick to learning from the gospel and our Lord and savior Jesus Christ and we can trust his promises as well as his instructions

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Accepting his word provides that same promise over and over but to reject his word promises this over and over

“He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.”
‭‭John‬ ‭12:48‬ ‭KJV‬‬

false doctrine has been spread into all the world because the gospel has been spread into the world it’s satans only hope of destroying us to get us to deny the word of our Lord and savior so like he did in the beginning he questions what God said and offers alternate “truths “

just like the popular teachers who sell thier books do today spreading thier own ideas for profit calling a believer to believe “ the gospel Jesus spoke really isn’t for you trust my word instead “

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
usually people are pretty good at sniffing out false gospel and not even acknowledging it on here, though I dont quite get why some posters like to always post dubious you tube videos and get people to watch them, even when they are false to expose them

they dont even deserve the exposure, it just calls more attention to them. why waste time on lies when you can know the truth? Dont even invite them to your hard drive. You might put a NO JUNK mail sign on your letterbox, why not do the same on your posts.

garbage in, garbage out.

it would be like me posting advertising on here and saying hey everyone look how terrible and misleading this ad is! Its so wrong! lets all discuss how wrong it is!

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
well, nobody knows EVERYTHING...or do you?
Definitely not me, despite what many claim about me. I know enough to know that the Mysteries of God can never be understood even perhaps when we are in His Holy Presence. God is simply that amazing and Powerful.

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022

I’m new here but it seems in the Bible Discussion Forum many threads pertain to negativity and gloom rather than uplifting topics. Maybe that’s part of why there’s hostility. We catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. Just my opinion.

allsaved

Sep 13, 2015
Do you have any ideas of how we can put it to a conclusive end?

I think that we should ask people to stop bothering us, giving them multiple chances to stop. When they refuse to stop, we need to let them know that they're being placed on the Ignore list so that they'll understand why, in the future, when you try to communicate with them, we won't respond. Then, after a period of time, I believe that these folks should be taken off of the Ignore list and given another chance. Christ gave each of us a chance . . . we owe that same consolation to each person here.

Every person on this Forum is important to me. There are no exceptions. I value each person at a basic, core level. I don't value the cruel things that are said, nor do I value the continued, repeated jabs, but I do recognize that all people have the opportunity to change how they feel inside and should be given an opportunity to be given as many chances as they ask.

I am not perfect, thus I cannot expect anyone to be perfect. I have hurt others in the past, so I am no greater than anyone who has ever lived. And because I have hurt others in the past, it seems ridiculous to point fingers. The truth is, is that we have all hurt folks in our past; we are all guilty. Therefore, if we're all guilty, then forgiveness ought to be easy. It's a wash. We're simply playing the game of the Devil as he sits back and watches us bite one another to death. All that we have to do is make a commitment to be respectful of each other's ideas and opinions. If we don't like what another has to say, just say, "Okie doke" and move on (for example). It isn't hard; it isn't a requirement that we make hard points.

I don't know about you folks, but I have a basic, core Love for each of you and it cannot be shaken regardless of anything said against me.

allsaved

Sep 13, 2015
"Do unto others..." It will take patience, but eventually the trouble makers will get out if there is no one to fight and argue with.

allsaved

Sep 13, 2015
"Do unto others..." It will take patience, but eventually the trouble makers will get out if there is no one to fight and argue with.
Also, ignore rudeness and rude people. It is called extinction and is a well known method of behavior modification.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
I hear what you're saying. On the other hand, we have an obligation to protect and defend those who are suffering and struggling. I can't sit by and idly watch others be devoured. And because of my willingness to defend, people use my defense as a way to state that I am divisive and even "unwell."

I will never stop defending those who are struggling. When I see someone in a ditch, I will stop and pull them out. When I see a fire, I will run straight to it. That's how I've always been and I don't know that it can change until the Lord causes me to change.