Why is CCM so bland and boring?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
I used to be someone who always listened to stations like K-Love. A few years ago where I live K-Love moved to another channel and in that channels place came a new Christian station which is slightly better, more rock, some hip hop mixed in but still has the same problems. In CCM stations whether it be local or satellite, all the songs sounds the same, same repetitive chords and voices. Nothing just sounds creative, it's all bland. It's all boring. I am a Christian but I admit I do have my own musical tastes and the slow worship songs are fine but not for me. Why does Christian radio have the most boring and bland collection of Christian music? You really have to search for actual good Christian artist, I been looking at more indie Christian musicians and other alternative bands who you won't hear on CCM radio and they are great. I would love to turn on the radio and hear some hard rock, any form of hip hop, alternative rock, ecteronic style music. The hardest rock they'll have is Casting Crowns. The only Skillet songs I've heard were any of their soft ballads. There is nothing wrong with adding some The Letter Black on the radio. Sometimes I would rather listen to secular music because those artists for the most part care about creating art, why can't Christian music have that mentality, you can still worship God while creating something good.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I used to be someone who always listened to stations like K-Love. A few years ago where I live K-Love moved to another channel and in that channels place came a new Christian station which is slightly better, more rock, some hip hop mixed in but still has the same problems. In CCM stations whether it be local or satellite, all the songs sounds the same, same repetitive chords and voices. Nothing just sounds creative, it's all bland. It's all boring. I am a Christian but I admit I do have my own musical tastes and the slow worship songs are fine but not for me. Why does Christian radio have the most boring and bland collection of Christian music? You really have to search for actual good Christian artist, I been looking at more indie Christian musicians and other alternative bands who you won't hear on CCM radio and they are great. I would love to turn on the radio and hear some hard rock, any form of hip hop, alternative rock, ecteronic style music. The hardest rock they'll have is Casting Crowns. The only Skillet songs I've heard were any of their soft ballads. There is nothing wrong with adding some The Letter Black on the radio. Sometimes I would rather listen to secular music because those artists for the most part care about creating art, why can't Christian music have that mentality, you can still worship God while creating something good.
Because it's what sells. Labels are going to put out what makes them money.
Especially when it comes to music, most Christians prefer 'safe' sounding music that is considered 'God approved'.
But ultimately it's also put out by secular labels as well. And that should be telling. The same label that puts out your favorite secular artist may also be putting out bland CCM. So clearly they Could make the music better, but it's not what people want.
Western Christianity has created its own church culture, and that culture is about conformity to their rules, and part of that conformity is blandness and a lack of individuality. Creativity is not often supported and encouraged beyond an amateur level.

Odelschwanck

Jan 7, 2015
To make money off Christians without rallying them against CCM's non-Christian owners' values (is my current theory).

Apr 29, 2012
Because it's what sells. Labels are going to put out what makes them money.
Especially when it comes to music, most Christians prefer 'safe' sounding music that is considered 'God approved'.
But ultimately it's also put out by secular labels as well. And that should be telling. The same label that puts out your favorite secular artist may also be putting out bland CCM. So clearly they Could make the music better, but it's not what people want.
Western Christianity has created its own church culture, and that culture is about conformity to their rules, and part of that conformity is blandness and a lack of individuality. Creativity is not often supported and encouraged beyond an amateur level.
This is spot on true.

Apr 29, 2012
A suitable question is what does the listener seek? Does he seek to worship GOD or does he seek to be entertained?

Songs sung by an artist from the heart as worship to GOD are very different from songs sung from the head about GOD.

True worship songs, sung from a pure heart by someone with clean hands can (and usually do) bring a greater sense of GOD's presence.
Songs sung from the head about GOD are often just lip service - but those do make money.

Aug 14, 2021
I first heard this on KLOVe, while in the car. I cranked it up because it sounded sooo from the heart, I raise my hand, praise the Lord and listen to it daily.

Nov 26, 2012
I’m actually shocked how much Breaking Benjamin lyrics are biblically relevant. It’s definitely not Christian music but clearly inspired by end times. You are accurate in your assessment about Christian music. I feel the music produced comes from the inner most source. It is the expression of an intangible emotion transformed into a sensible form. Words and melodies resonate through our ears and causes our brainwaves to be more or less active dependent on frequencies. It literally causes thought patterns to alter. It’s quite the science. Those who focus on their flesh cause fluctuations in hormones to excite neurol activity. When we want to be pumped up about something we listen to highly stimulating music, and opposite for calming moments. When people are writing about spiritual things, and worship, our brain activity is relatively at a lower spot. If a Christian artist came out with extremely hard rock they would most likely be in an extreme carnal state of influence, more angry at God than anything. That being said, we are flesh and spirit. The music we listen to effects thoughts and movements at a neurological level.

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
I know what you mean. It does kinda sound the same. So I either change stations when a song comes on that I'm not in the mood for or i just listen to my playlists. I love rock too so I have always listened to OC Supertones. I wish there were more groups Christian praise rock groups too. I've been to lots of concerts and acts like Toby Mac, Skillet, P.O.D., Kutless, Thousand Foot Crutch etc are a few that have put on a great rock show, but I will have to say the my fav will always be the OC Supertones. I love Ska and they're a great ska band. Look online and check out some other Christian rock bands. Its interesting that not all members are Christian, but they are part of the most important message. Bands like Red are rockers that aren't given the chance because they rock in their message. My suggestion is look online and ck some out. Make your own playlists. There are times I'm blasting hard rock and other times I love beautiful praise music. I just appreciate God seeing me happy dancing and praising Him! I'm sure the people in the car next to me are just jealous!! just kidding :)

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I know what you mean. It does kinda sound the same. So I either change stations when a song comes on that I'm not in the mood for or i just listen to my playlists. I love rock too so I have always listened to OC Supertones. I wish there were more groups Christian praise rock groups too. I've been to lots of concerts and acts like Toby Mac, Skillet, P.O.D., Kutless, Thousand Foot Crutch etc are a few that have put on a great rock show, but I will have to say the my fav will always be the OC Supertones. I love Ska and they're a great ska band. Look online and check out some other Christian rock bands. Its interesting that not all members are Christian, but they are part of the most important message. Bands like Red are rockers that aren't given the chance because they rock in their message. My suggestion is look online and ck some out. Make your own playlists. There are times I'm blasting hard rock and other times I love beautiful praise music. I just appreciate God seeing me happy dancing and praising Him! I'm sure the people in the car next to me are just jealous!! just kidding :)
Red not given the chance? They're one of the biggest Christian bands in the secular market. And they play a style that is Flooded with countless bands. Christian or secular it's hard to stand out in radio rock due to so many bands. Skillet is also quite big in the same genre.
Christian bands do have a disadvantage, but if they're good enough they'll still get noticed. In the early to mid 2000s Christian bands dominated the secular metal core market. In the 90s some Christian bands were getting play on MTV. In the 80s Stryper was doing world tours.
Even now August Burns Red, Demon Hunter and Silent Planet are holding their own.

As someone that spent decades listening to mostly Christian bands and who now mostly listens to secular I realized just how mediocre most Christian bands are compared to the secular bands. And that encompasses a variety of genres, not just radio rock. Or just Christian music in general. But there are those few that have proven you can break through if you're good enough.

Even in rap. There's never really been a breakout Christian rapper in all these decades. Now NF has come along as a Christian rapper with original music, rap skills and relatable lyrics and he's Huge.

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
Red not given the chance? They're one of the biggest Christian bands in the secular market. And they play a style that is Flooded with countless bands. Christian or secular it's hard to stand out in radio rock due to so many bands. Skillet is also quite big in the same genre.
Christian bands do have a disadvantage, but if they're good enough they'll still get noticed. In the early to mid 2000s Christian bands dominated the secular metal core market. In the 90s some Christian bands were getting play on MTV. In the 80s Stryper was doing world tours.
Even now August Burns Red, Demon Hunter and Silent Planet are holding their own.

As someone that spent decades listening to mostly Christian bands and who now mostly listens to secular I realized just how mediocre most Christian bands are compared to the secular bands. And that encompasses a variety of genres, not just radio rock. Or just Christian music in general. But there are those few that have proven you can break through if you're good enough.

Even in rap. There's never really been a breakout Christian rapper in all these decades. Now NF has come along as a Christian rapper with original music, rap skills and relatable lyrics and he's Huge.
Im saying that Christian bands that rock aren't given the airplay that lots of other Christian groups get. Idk what station that would be that plays rock like Red, Demon Hunter etc. A lot of Christian stations just play 'family friendly' Christian music. Maybe if they did play more hard rock/metal w a Christian message, more young people would pay attention.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Im saying that Christian bands that rock aren't given the airplay that lots of other Christian groups get. Idk what station that would be that plays rock like Red, Demon Hunter etc. A lot of Christian stations just play 'family friendly' Christian music. Maybe if they did play more hard rock/metal w a Christian message, more young people would pay attention.
Ah. Christian stations. Usually if they play it at all it'll be some late Friday or Saturday night show. I remember as a teen my buddy got a gig hosting a Christian metal show on Christian radio. Once a week, only a few hours and on Friday night. Rest of the week wasn't even CCM, but more mellow than that.
But, really, radio isn't a major source for teens anymore. With Bandcamp, Spotify, YouTube, SoundCloud and more, not to mention internet radio, which will have more options, the radio isn't going to hold much for younger people. It's more likely to have a larger adult audience.
Personally I never really cared for radio. I never understood the point of it.

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
Ah. Christian stations. Usually if they play it at all it'll be some late Friday or Saturday night show. I remember as a teen my buddy got a gig hosting a Christian metal show on Christian radio. Once a week, only a few hours and on Friday night. Rest of the week wasn't even CCM, but more mellow than that.
But, really, radio isn't a major source for teens anymore. With Bandcamp, Spotify, YouTube, SoundCloud and more, not to mention internet radio, which will have more options, the radio isn't going to hold much for younger people. It's more likely to have a larger adult audience.
Personally I never really cared for radio. I never understood the point of it.
:LOL:
You never went cruisin' with your honey in a big ol' V8 playin' rock n roll on your favorite am station? :LOL: Mine was XERB Rosarito Beach, B.C. with Wolfman Jack! :ROFL: Before I ever heard of Christian Rock.

Enough silliness. Different strokes for different folks. I can't stand old mission songs much. Like "Power in the blood", "Onward Christian Soldiers", "What a friend we have in Jesus", etc. The songbook they came from was Published for the Salvation Army in 1893. That's the first non Catholic, christian music that I ever heard & learned. :whistle:Yawn.

The total emersion doctrine (19th century Methodists) would like us to stop listening to non christian media all together. No movies, tv, newspapers or radio, at all. Because they poison our minds. I grateful that CCM came and broke that mold.

I discovered CCM in 1977, and the Resurection Band in 1981. PTL.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
:LOL:
You never went cruisin' with your honey in a big ol' V8 playin' rock n roll on your favorite am station? .
Actually, yeah I've done that. My first car was a 1967 Dodge Polara with a ragtop. Car was a gas hog but who cares when it's 22 cents a gallon. This was in 1973. Blasted out rock from CKLW from Windsor, Ont. across the river from Detroit.

"Those were the days my friend,
We thought they'd never end..."

I was a wild and crazy guy back in the day. I composed a little poem-

With the top down on my car
Cruising to all the local bars in town.
And Hair down to my collar,
Picked my pool cue up and holler,
"Hey, it's time to lay your money down".

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
My hair still reaches my collar.

Apr 29, 2012
The rock group Kansas from back in the day released 2 songs That spoke to GOD's dealing with at least one of the members. 'Dust in the Wind' and ' Carry on my wayward son'.

Believe it or not, GOD spoke to me through the Eagles song 'Desperado' in mid July 1987 as I drove the rental truck full of our stuff, near Smithfield Va, around 6pm, on a 2 lane road, running away from Him. It has been a long journey

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Yeah I would agree that most of it's cheesy but there is some good stuff out there. I met some people from Memphis who do a Christian hip-hop ministry. They're pretty good at what they do

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
CCM is often uninspired and derivative. Christian record labels typically encourage CCM to be at the intellectual and artistic level of popular music in order to bring in the popular music dollars. They consequently promote what amounts to cover bands.

There is some great Christian music out there though. You just have to go hunting for it. That and find inspiration in the lyrics of old hymns.

Cabrillo

Sep 6, 2021
Well the Beatles and the Beach Boys started of copying Chuck Berry and look how they turned out.