Why is it wrong to be a workaholic?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is it wrong to be a workaholic?

• Yes

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Possibly

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
Apr 3, 2019
I have the catholic work ethic.

That's the opposite of the protestant work ethic :giggle:

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Nothing wrong with working hard, in fact the bible encourages it. When Peter told Jesus that he had fished all night and caught nothing, Jesus told him to go back to work. (Luke 5:4)

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Nothing wrong with working hard, in fact the bible encourages it. When Peter told Jesus that he had fished all night and caught nothing, Jesus told him to go back to work. (Luke 5:4)
No one is griping about hard work.
But the point of the OP is 'should work become so important to self, that it usurps God's place in our lives'?

Even Peter responded in that passage...
Luke 5:5 NASB
[5] Simon answered and said, "Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing, but I will do as You say and let down the nets."

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
By definition a workaholic would fail this test if they inserted 'job' into the mix.

Matthew 10:37 NASBS
[37] "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
Who is to say though that a workaholic does not love God more than the occupation? You can insert anything into that verse and if you truly loved whatever it was more than God you would fail the test. I have a lot more respect for a workaholic than someone who is able-bodied and refused to work to support their family thereby becoming a burden to others that must pick up their slack.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Just to add, if you working during the night or when you meant to be sleeping, thats not really good for your body clock. There is something in the Bible about people who work at night.

Check out.
John 9:4

Juggling two jobs, well you might need to let one go eventually. No man can serve two masters. Althougn that was talking about God and money. And if you not having at least one day off a week ie, a sabbath, thats not really Gods way. He worked six days and had a rest on the 7th. You not enjoying God if you dont make that time to rest.

So I guess why people say working all the time its bad, its because God rested, and so we ought to too.
In America it is a 24/7/365 world, especially in the workforce. Many work the overnight shift out of necessity or preference. The body learns to adapt. Even in the bible there is mentioned of people keeping watch during the night. I agree with you about having at least one day off a week, preferably the Sabbath but that's not always possible either. Regardless, the body needs rest and relaxation to recover from the stress of the working environment.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Apparently, Jesus has a low tolerance for slackers.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
You can insert anything into that verse and if you truly loved whatever it was more than God you would fail the test.
That's my point. Our work (or laziness) can be an idol (idle).
-forgive the pun.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
In America it is a 24/7/365 world, especially in the workforce. Many work the overnight shift out of necessity or preference. The body learns to adapt. Even in the bible there is mentioned of people keeping watch during the night. I agree with you about having at least one day off a week, preferably the Sabbath but that's not always possible either. Regardless, the body needs rest and relaxation to recover from the stress of the working environment.
My dad always worked nights and sundays. But he wasnt a workaholic cos he just stuck to the hours he worked at his job and didnt go overtime.
He only needed five hours sleep at most, but, the thing is he just worked when he wanted to as was his preference so our family never had any holidays away I think I only remember one holiday we actually went away together as a family. He worked on christmas eve too.

When I worked full time and had to work weekends, it seemed unfair because the thing had changed and now libraries were meant to be open 7 days a week. So some didnt under old contracts and some did under new contracts. i didnt know at the time that they coulndt ask you to agree this if you objected.

Anyway what hapoened was I worked for several years like this till God said to me I need you to worship Me and honor my Sabbaths. So He said I needed to take a Sababtical whereby my rest time was spent all for Him, not man. The organisation wouldnt give me a sabbatical. Well it turned out to be I was to be off full time work for exactly seven years and God provided everything.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I simply believe there are a few here that are confusing what a 'workaholic' is and equate it with a hard worker.
Like an alcoholic where they have little to no control over their urge to drink, so a workaholic will forsake all else, if needs be, in their quest to be working even if it cost them their devotion time to their God and family. There is even 'ministry-holics', I know, at one time I was both.
The work-a-holic needs to remember...

Psalm 127:1-2 NASBS
[1] Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain. [2] It is vain for you to rise up early, To retire late, To eat the bread of painful labors; For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep.

M

Miri

There’s nothing wrong with working hard. Indeed there may be some jobs where your work is your life. Pastor, doctor, missionary etc.

For many it’s not though, and people just spend all hours at the office in the shop etc. To the detriment of their relationship with family and God.

I can’t imagine that anyone on their death bed would wish they had spent more of their time at the office! But the way they live you would think that’s their motto.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
How about 'convince-a-holics' who do or say all they can to convince others they are right?
Or 'friend-a-holics' who bend over backwards to make or keep a friend even if it means putting forth a false image of themselves by lying or compromising the truth?
Or 'style-a-holics'? (fill in the blanks)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Who is to say though that a workaholic does not love God more than the occupation?
Any and all addictions are harmful. The term "workaholic" indicates an ADDICTION TO WORK. So draw your own conclusions.

Someone has said that a 24 hours day should ideally have three divisions:
8 hours of work
8 hours of relationships and recreation
8 hours of rest
The Bible says that man's work week should be limited to six days.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Any and all addictions are harmful. The term "workaholic" indicates an ADDICTION TO WORK. So draw your own conclusions.

Someone has said that a 24 hours day should ideally have three divisions:
8 hours of work
8 hours of relationships and recreation
8 hours of rest
The Bible says that man's work week should be limited to six days.
I don't know very many people that only work 8 hours a day. Most people work longer hours out of a financial necessity to provide for their family. During my work week I probably average an hour of relaxation a day, less on the days that I work and more on my days off. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
There’s nothing wrong with working hard. Indeed there may be some jobs where your work is your life. Pastor, doctor, missionary etc.

For many it’s not though, and people just spend all hours at the office in the shop etc. To the detriment of their relationship with family and God.

I can’t imagine that anyone on their death bed would wish they had spent more of their time at the office! But the way they live you would think that’s their motto.
I am going to surmise that there might be a few peeps that are on their deathbed that regret that they did not always give a 100% effort in the workplace or were deliberate underachievers that tried to get by only doing the minimum amount of work to keep their job.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I am going to surmise that there might be a few peeps that are on their deathbed that regret that they did not always give a 100% effort in the workplace or were deliberate underachievers that tried to get by only doing the minimum amount of work to keep their job.
That would not be a wise move, as the devil is an expert at bringing up our sins of the past. It would be wiser to appeal to the imputed righteous of Jesus Christ on our deathbed...

For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
(Rom 5:19)

love_comes_softly

Feb 13, 2019
Working is not a bad thing and neither is working hard. God should come first and if you're able to do that, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

I do however caution you, if you are working to keep yourself from doing something, you should really try to work on other ways to heal those issues. You can do this through prayer, reading His word or seeking help from a pastor. Work will not make the issue go away.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I do need to work to pay the bills, but I could work less. The extra money goes to my parent, who can't work because of health reasons. I have a brother who takes care of the parent so he doesn't get to work much either.

P.S my morning job earns me only 229 USD a month and I am absolutely not allowed to quit it. It's a long story and I won't talk about it here.
Wow, so you and your brother help care for your parent. Admirable. I hope that you are taking care of self because working needs your good health, as does your parent and brother, and of course yourself.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
How about 'convince-a-holics' who do or say all they can to convince others they are right?
Or 'friend-a-holics' who bend over backwards to make or keep a friend even if it means putting forth a false image of themselves by lying or compromising the truth?
Or 'style-a-holics'? (fill in the blanks)
You missed choc-a-holics who love chocolates and love giving them to others.