Why is praying in tongues necessary?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

Romans 8:26-27 New International Version (NIV)
26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

This common proof text does not say the Holy Spirit is praying in tongues unknown to the Human through the Human's mouth. A groan is not a human language and Acts 2 was plainly in Human Languages.

Acts 2
5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken.7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans?8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language?9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,[b] 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Because, after all, two active threads on this contentious issue weren’t enough.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

This common proof text does not say the Holy Spirit is praying in tongues unknown to the Human through the Human's mouth. A groan is not a human language and Acts 2 was plainly in Human Languages.

Acts 2
5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken.7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans?8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language?9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,[b] 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

It isn't necessarily necessary!
Unless, you want it to be!
Some denominations require "speaking in tongues", as proof of conversion.
Just like Catholics require anyone entering into the "priesthood" or "convent", remain celibate!
And, ya see what happened with "that!" Right?

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014

Acts 2
It is not necessary for an believer. It played its role in the apostoilic Time. But even in this time it was not necessary, because only an part of believers got this Gift.
Today we find a man Made Doctrine who claimes it is necessary.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Eph 6
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the equipment of the gospel of peace; 16 besides all these, taking the shield of faith, with which you can quench all the flaming darts of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 Pray at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that utterance may be given me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

Eph 6:18 is another proof text I have heard and it too says nothing about praying in tongues as others claims.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Jude 17 But you must remember, beloved, the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; 18 they said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” 19 It is these who set up divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit. 20 But you, beloved, build yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit; 21 keep yourselves in the love of God; wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And convince some, who doubt; 23 save some, by snatching them out of the fire; on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Jude 20 is another proof text I have heard and it too says nothing about praying in tongues as others claims.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I cor

4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. 5 Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but xeven more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.

6 Now, brothers,1 if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some yrevelation or knowledge or prophecy or zteaching? 7 If even lifeless instruments, such as the flute or the harp, do not give distinct notes, how will anyone know what is played? 8 And aif the bugle gives an indistinct sound, who will get ready for battle? 9 So with yourselves, if with your tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be bspeaking into the air. 10 There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning, 11 but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be ca foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me. 12 So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.

13 Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. 15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; dI will sing praise with my spirit, but I will esing with my mind also. 16 Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider2 say f“Amen” to gyour thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? 17 For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up.

that I have no answer for.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
For people to pray in tongues they would have to be given that particular gift from the Holy Spirit. I don't believe that it states in scripture that it is necessary for a human being to speak in tongues. I don't believe that the bible mentions that Jesus, when praying to the Father, prayed in tongues either.

noblenut

Nov 29, 2017
prophecy is necessary, not tongues

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Acts 2
Praying in tongues is unnecessary..

Certain people in the body of Christ get different gifts, So the teaching that everyone should have this or that gift is just false..

Mar 28, 2016
prophecy is necessary, not tongues

Tongues is prophecy spoken by God in many languages . When we pray to God we pray in our langue or tongue. He looks upon the heart. No outward sign. Believing God is our confirmation.

The sign is against those who refuse to hear prophecy in any language . The faithless as those who in the end of the matter see no evil in not believing in a God who has no form. Oral traditions of the fathers become their source of faith as in who needs a God not seen.

As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, we will not hearken unto thee. But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil. Jeremiah 44:16-17

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I cor

4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. 5 Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but xeven more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.

6 Now, brothers,1 if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some yrevelation or knowledge or prophecy or zteaching? 7 If even lifeless instruments, such as the flute or the harp, do not give distinct notes, how will anyone know what is played? 8 And aif the bugle gives an indistinct sound, who will get ready for battle? 9 So with yourselves, if with your tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be bspeaking into the air. 10 There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning, 11 but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be ca foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me. 12 So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.

13 Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. 15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; dI will sing praise with my spirit, but I will esing with my mind also. 16 Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider2 say f“Amen” to gyour thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? 17 For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up.

that I have no answer for.
Thats your answer also look at verse 15. PAul says to do both. Pray in tongues alone or with believers (or insiders) when it comfortable to do so but pray with your mind when there are outsiders who cant understand what you praying about.

I mean does anyone say amen to a prayer they couldnt even understand? I dont. They could be praying for the mountain to move or for peace on earth or they could just be praying their children get married or their bills get paid. How would I know?

jb

Feb 27, 2010
For those interested, you can find a study Here on the operation of the gift of tongues in private prayer, it is number 8 in the list...

Dec 12, 2013

Acts 2
It's not...........God understands our hearts just fine........and what every words we pray in....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodnewsman

Jan 4, 2016

Acts 2
because God knew we would need the spirit to pray for us from time to time.

thats like reading Hebrews 11 and asking and asking is faith necessary

Mar 28, 2016
because God knew we would need the spirit to pray for us from time to time.

thats like reading Hebrews 11 and asking and asking is faith necessary
They would need the spirit to pray what for us, from time to time? What would be the purpose if we did not understand?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
They would need the spirit to pray what for us, from time to time? What would be the purpose if we did not understand?
Perhaps you have never experienced not knowing how to pray. It would probably make sense to you if you had.

It's a heavy burden knowing that there is a need or concern, desiring to bring it to the Lord, but not knowing how to express it in words. The Holy Spirit knows exactly what to pray in every situation. He doesn't need us to understand in order to pray about it.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
At first sight, the "groanings" signified by the Greek "stenagmoi" in Romans 8: 26 need not refer to tongues. But that changes when it is realized that the phrase "groans without normal speaking" occurs in its Latin equivalent at Delphi, where it refers to ecstatic gibberish that needs interpretation. That is the linguistic background of its use in Romans. So when we speak in tongues, the Spirit intercedes through us for what we really need to pray for, as opposed to what we imagine we need.

Beyond that, I should speak from experience. Except in my youth, I rarely ever attend a Pentecostal or Charismatic church. Yet when O was Loosing my faith as a skeptical 16 year old, an unexpected experience of praying in tongues restored my faith and was so electrifying that it instantly removed my doubts and changed the quality of my mind so dramatically that it transformed me from an ordinary tudent into someone who got his Masters at Princeton and my doctorate at Harvard. There is scarcely a week that goes by decades later in which I fail to draw great inspiration from the mere memory of that fateful day, by far the happiest day of my life!

The experience "ambushed" me as I knelt alone in prayer in a darkened amphitheater on a lakeside campground. I was a depressed skeptic who was challenging God to make Himself real to me. Suddenly, there was a supernatural wind that I at first thought came off the nearby lake. Overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit, I found myself speaking in tongues, as wave after wave of liquid love surged through my being, each more intense than the last. The commotion drew spectators and one lady later told me that my face was glowing in the dark. Finally, a Lutheran pastor interrupted me, telling me he didn't believe in that sort of thing. But when I gently touched him, he exploded in other tongues! Interestingly, I have seldom felt prompted to speak in tongues in the decades after that experience. But I absolutely revere the memory and have no doubt that if any of you had the same experience you would hail it as the happiest and richest day of your life.