Why pray?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
Why pray if God already knows how we feel about things and how things will turn out?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Because Scripture teaches us to. It is how we communicate with God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Why pray if God already knows how we feel about things and how things will turn out?
What you say is true to a point. We, as His children, pray always and while we pray we hope we are within His will. We do pray they will be done every day., and I do believe this states loudly that our petitions we would have also in His will or not have the petitions granted at all.

Many times the Father answers our petitions even if we do not pray them because we think it to be wrong to petition, and even though we do not ask, He grants our petittion. I have experienced this a few times, just this past week for on.

I want to always be in the Father's willand I am certain all others who believe feel the same.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
There are many reasons for prayer.

Relationship of Dependence:

The most important may be that it draws our hearts back into proper relationship with God.
It is an act of submission and dependence.

How?
When we pray, we must submit to God's power, and to God's authority over us; this happens when we ask for things which we have no mortal power to bring about.
In prayer, when we seek divine intervention, we are reminded of our relationship to God... that he is the all powerful creator, and we are the humble creation.

Prayer is, inherently, an act of dependence and submission to God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
There are many reasons for prayer.

Relationship of Dependence:

The most important may be that it draws our hearts back into proper relationship with God.
It is an act of submission and dependence.

How?
When we pray, we must submit to God's power, and to God's authority over us; this happens when we ask for things which we have no mortal power to bring about.
In prayer, when we seek divine intervention, we are reminded of our relationship to God... that he is the all powerful creator, and we are the humble creation.

Prayer is, inherently, an act of dependence and submission to God.

A very good primer for any looking to know about praying; it helps me. You know this though.

P

pottersclay

Prayer is a exercise that needs to be taught. It is the most powerful tool you have.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Sometimes? It's not that you may know something concerning yourself, and, you know God knows. In fact, God does know! He just wants to "measure" your ka-hoonies in the telling Him!

Who knows? You may even "feel" someone deep inside of you smiling afterwards!

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Prayer should be about thanksgiving and praise of God.
Praying in His will requires you KNOW His will.

Follow the ACTS principle.........
A - adoration
C - Contrition
T - Thanksgiviing
S - Supplication

Dec 12, 2013
Why not pray?.......my son comes to me and will ask me for stuff all the time....and I take great pleasure in giving him what he asks me for....

1st Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing!

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Prayer is a exercise that needs to be taught. It is the most powerful tool you have.
I would argue faith is, expectation. More so the object of that faith, even. Scripture teaches us to pray and says to "believe that you have received, and ye shall have them" (Mark 11:24).

As I am sure you know, prayer is more than just the reception of said desires (be it material, deliverance, liberty, or what have you) but is instead the enjoyment of the reconciliation Christ purchased with His blood. Prayer is fellowship. It is so many things, including the desires of our hearts being granted as God hears our petitions. It is both an avenue for fellowship, and intercession (for oneself and/or others).

Dec 2, 2018
Praying is how we communicate and build our relationships with God

P

pottersclay

I would argue faith is, expectation. More so the object of that faith, even. Scripture teaches us to pray and says to "believe that you have received, and ye shall have them" (Mark 11:24).

As I am sure you know, prayer is more than just the reception of said desires (be it material, deliverance, liberty, or what have you) but is instead the enjoyment of the reconciliation Christ purchased with His blood. Prayer is fellowship. It is so many things, including the desires of our hearts being granted as God hears our petitions. It is both an avenue for fellowship, and intercession (for oneself and/or others).
Oh benftw why did you do this??? Here I am in my p.js with my sleepy eyes focused on my flannle sheets checking out the forum for the last time Tonite. When a dear saint that I love says he wants to argue faith over prayer.

Jesus Prays for Himself Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You, as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him. And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was. Jesus Prays for His Disciples “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You. For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me. “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth. Jesus Prays for All Believers “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

I believe we can agree that Jesus had no problem in faith area......but why did he pray?

And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”

Prayer seems to supercede faith.

Your turn

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Oh benftw why did you do this??? Here I am in my p.js with my sleepy eyes focused on my flannle sheets checking out the forum for the last time Tonite. When a dear saint that I love says he wants to argue faith over prayer.

Jesus Prays for Himself Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You, as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him. And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was. Jesus Prays for His Disciples “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You. For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me. “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth. Jesus Prays for All Believers “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

I believe we can agree that Jesus had no problem in faith area......but why did he pray?

And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”

Prayer seems to supercede faith.

Your turn
Two sides of the same coin. Prayer and faith work in unison. So no argument here. :)

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Prayer is a great way to honor and worship the One who deserves to be the desire of our hearts. It is fellowship and communion, an invested relationship with God. He is fine with or without our prayers, for us, our spiritual well-being is dependent on time in prayer.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
We can pray for other people too not just ourselves, especially if the other person isnt praying or is hindered or sick or doesnt have the energy. We can pray for those who forget to pray! Jesus asked his disciples to pray too. GOd loves to hear our prayers as they are as incense to him...

Imagine being in a relationship with someone and you just never communicated or said a word. Plus prayer is a time to listen to God as well its not all one way.