Why the Baptism with the Holy Spirit is not for Today

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 17, 2020
This has generated lots of interest so I am posting my understanding of the issue. (I used to be Pentecostal).

Understanding the Baptism with the Holy Spirit in Acts is difficult. But I found the keys are the Ethiopian Eunuch Acts 8:27 and the Samarians Acts 8:5. In essence, all had the Holy Spirit but only the Samarians had the Baptism with the Holy Spirit.

These received the gift of the Holy Spirit according to Peter in Acts 2:38 just as we do today. But the Samarians also received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit through the apostle’s hands which the Eunuch did not.

On Pentecost God baptized the 12 Apostles with the Holy Spirit who also spoke in tongues. According to Acts 2:38 the eunuch and the Samarians had the gift of the Holy Spirit through Philip’s preaching. But Philip could not provide the baptism of the Holy Spirit for either. Acts reveals that beyond the two outpourings, only the Apostles through the laying on of their hands could baptize people in the Holy Spirit. It was the proof of apostleship Hebrews 2:4.

When the Apostles visited the Samarian converts, they laid their hands on them baptizing them in the Holy Spirit. But this was not the case with the Eunuch. It says he went on his way rejoicing after Philip baptized him in water.

So the Samarians and the Eunuch received the gift of the Holy Spirit through Philip’s preaching. But only the Samarians received the baptism with the Holy Spirit through the Apostles’ hands.

About 7 years later, God poured out the Holy Spirit on the gentiles at Cornelius’ house which resulted in their speaking in tongues just as the Apostles did at Pentecost.

Scripture doesn’t mention the 3000 converts on the day of Pentecost as baptized with the Holy Spirit. Nor the 5,000 converts days later. But we might assume those whom the Apostles baptized in water also received the baptism with the Holy Spirit through their hands. But anyone baptized by someone other than an apostle would have been like the Eunuch who received only the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Later, Paul preached to the disciples at Ephesus Acts 19:1. These like the Eunuch received the gift of the Holy Spirit. But they also received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit through the apostle’s hands the same way the Samarians did.

The Baptism with the Holy Spirit provided God’s word through tongues and prophecy until the New Testament canon became complete. How do we know this? Paul says scripture thoroughly equips us 2 Timothy 3:17. Paul said tongues and prophecy provided only partial knowledge 1 Corinthians 13:9. So it makes sense scripture replaced them when completed.

Beyond Acts, the Corinthians no doubt received the Baptism with the Holy Spirit through Paul’s hands. And Paul mentioned he wanted to visit the Romans to give spiritual gifts to them too Romans 1:11. Paul mentions laying his hands on Timothy who also received a gift 2 Timothy 1:6.

So we can say scripture directly supports the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for those ministered to by an apostle. That it was not for all. The Baptism with the Holy Spirit passed into history with the rest of the apostles Hebrews 2:4 because only they provided it as a sign of their authority. And that scripture replaced the fragmentary gifts of tongues and prophecy with the completed revelation. And we can confidently say believers from Pentecost on have the gift of Holy Spirit according to Acts 2:38, but not the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. Just as the Eunuch and believers since then.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
In my understanding Scripture speaks of being “indwelt” and also being “filled” with the Holy Spirit. We are indwelt at the point of initial salvation. Paul speaks of being carnal or being spiritual (filled). At any point in time we are either carnal (out of fellowship) or spiritual (in fellowship) with the Holy Spirit, after we are saved.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It is evident from the title of the OP that you have a serious misunderstanding about this subject.

BAPTISM WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
I [John] indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: He [Christ] shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: (Matthew 3:11)

THE OUTPOURING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. (Acts 1:4,5)

ACTS 2: THE DAY OF PENTECOST (TONGUES FOR THE APOSTLES AND DISCIPLES)
1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

ACTS 2: THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT WITHOUT A MANIFESTATION OF TONGUES
36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized
[Christian baptism, not tongues]: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

So what we see is that the baptism WITH the Holy Ghost is the same as receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit without necessarily speaking in tongues (languages). Is it as essential today as it was then? ABSOLUTELY. No one can be saved without receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
This has generated lots of interest so I am posting my understanding of the issue. (I used to be Pentecostal).

Understanding the Baptism with the Holy Spirit in Acts is difficult. But I found the keys are the Ethiopian Eunuch Acts 8:27 and the Samarians Acts 8:5. In essence, all had the Holy Spirit but only the Samarians had the Baptism with the Holy Spirit.

These received the gift of the Holy Spirit according to Peter in Acts 2:38 just as we do today. But the Samarians also received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit through the apostle’s hands which the Eunuch did not.

On Pentecost God baptized the 12 Apostles with the Holy Spirit who also spoke in tongues. According to Acts 2:38 the eunuch and the Samarians had the gift of the Holy Spirit through Philip’s preaching. But Philip could not provide the baptism of the Holy Spirit for either. Acts reveals that beyond the two outpourings, only the Apostles through the laying on of their hands could baptize people in the Holy Spirit. It was the proof of apostleship Hebrews 2:4.

When the Apostles visited the Samarian converts, they laid their hands on them baptizing them in the Holy Spirit. But this was not the case with the Eunuch. It says he went on his way rejoicing after Philip baptized him in water.

So the Samarians and the Eunuch received the gift of the Holy Spirit through Philip’s preaching. But only the Samarians received the baptism with the Holy Spirit through the Apostles’ hands.

About 7 years later, God poured out the Holy Spirit on the gentiles at Cornelius’ house which resulted in their speaking in tongues just as the Apostles did at Pentecost.

Scripture doesn’t mention the 3000 converts on the day of Pentecost as baptized with the Holy Spirit. Nor the 5,000 converts days later. But we might assume those whom the Apostles baptized in water also received the baptism with the Holy Spirit through their hands. But anyone baptized by someone other than an apostle would have been like the Eunuch who received only the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Later, Paul preached to the disciples at Ephesus Acts 19:1. These like the Eunuch received the gift of the Holy Spirit. But they also received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit through the apostle’s hands the same way the Samarians did.

The Baptism with the Holy Spirit provided God’s word through tongues and prophecy until the New Testament canon became complete. How do we know this? Paul says scripture thoroughly equips us 2 Timothy 3:17. Paul said tongues and prophecy provided only partial knowledge 1 Corinthians 13:9. So it makes sense scripture replaced them when completed.

Beyond Acts, the Corinthians no doubt received the Baptism with the Holy Spirit through Paul’s hands. And Paul mentioned he wanted to visit the Romans to give spiritual gifts to them too Romans 1:11. Paul mentions laying his hands on Timothy who also received a gift 2 Timothy 1:6.

So we can say scripture directly supports the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for those ministered to by an apostle. That it was not for all. The Baptism with the Holy Spirit passed into history with the rest of the apostles Hebrews 2:4 because only they provided it as a sign of their authority. And that scripture replaced the fragmentary gifts of tongues and prophecy with the completed revelation. And we can confidently say believers from Pentecost on have the gift of Holy Spirit according to Acts 2:38, but not the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. Just as the Eunuch and believers since then.
Dave L, I see you're making your rounds on this topic still. :)
1689Dave

Are you preaching? Or opining?

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Matthee

Matthew 3:11-12 (TLV)
"As for me, I immerse you in water for repentance. But the One coming after me is mightier than I am; I am not worthy to carry His sandals. He will immerse you in the Ruach ha-Kodesh and fire. His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He shall clear His threshing floor and gather His wheat into the barn; but the chaff He shall burn up with inextinguishable fire."

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Is baptism essential for salvation? No. I would say though if Jesus did it as an example, Believers if given the opportunity should probably be immersed. It’s a true symbolic proclamation.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn

! Cor 12 :7- The Gifts are given by the spirit = GOD , 12:7 But the manifestation of the spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8. for to one is given by the spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same spirit ;
9. to another faith by the same spirit ; to another the gifts of healing by the same spirit ;
10. to another the working of miracles ; to another prophecy; to another discerning of the spirits ; to another the interpretation of tongues ;
11 . But all these worketh that one and the selfsame spirit , dividing to every man severally as HE will . The laying on of hands dose not GIVE no gifts . GOD gives them out as HE sees FIT FOR HIM !!!!
1 Cor 12:31 , BUT covet earnestly the best gifts ;
Ephesians . 4:8wherefore HE saith , When HE ascended up on high, HE led captivity captive , and gave gifts unto men .
1 timothy . 4:14 . Neglect not the gift that is in thee , which was given thee by prophecy , with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery .GOD bless as HE sees fit .

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
On Pentecost God baptized the 12 Apostles with the Holy Spirit who also spoke in tongues. According to Acts 2:38 the eunuch and the Samarians had the gift of the Holy Spirit through Philip’s preaching. But Philip could not provide the baptism of the Holy Spirit for either.
Scripture does not tell us exactly who was present on Pentecost, but it does say that they all were filled with the Spirit and spoke in tongues. Scripture does not state that Philip "could not" baptize with the Holy Spirit. It doesn't even say that he "did not"; you can only conclude that from later events with regard to the Samaritans, and you are making an argument from silence regarding the eunuch.

Acts reveals that beyond the two outpourings, only the Apostles through the laying on of their hands could baptize people in the Holy Spirit. It was the proof of apostleship Hebrews 2:4.
Acts 10 is an exception. Hebrews 2:4 does not discuss "the baptism of the Holy Spirit" as proof of apostleship. Again, you're making an argument from silence.

However, Scripture does not say that Peter laid hands on Cornelius or the others with him. It says the Holy Spirit "fell" on them as Peter was speaking. This completely undermines your assertion that the baptism is only transferred by the laying on of the apostles' hands.

While your assumption is reasonable, using an assumption as the basis for further points is making an argument from silence.

Paul did not say that tongues and prophecy provided only partial knowledge. He said that we know in part and prophesy in part. You're misconstruing Paul's words to suit your agenda.

So we can say scripture directly supports the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for those ministered to by an apostle. That it was not for all.
Scripture does not say anywhere that the baptism of the Holy Spirit was not for all. It does say that specific gifts are not given to everyone, but that is within a specific context, and the baptism is not mentioned in that context.

The Baptism with the Holy Spirit passed into history with the rest of the apostles Hebrews 2:4 because only they provided it as a sign of their authority. And that scripture replaced the fragmentary gifts of tongues and prophecy with the completed revelation. And we can confidently say believers from Pentecost on have the gift of Holy Spirit according to Acts 2:38, but not the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. Just as the Eunuch and believers since then.
You're a long way from making a compelling case on any of these points. I'd suggest you do some homework on logical arguments.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
The laying on of is given to all of GODs saints . And we need to practice it . But the Gifts GOD gives as HE sees fit for HIS Church , GOD bless as HE sees fit

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014

You Said oN Pentacost God babtized 12 apostle

Who are there

1 you forget Judas not with them anymore so It was only 11

2. Peter say God Will poor or baptized with Holy spirit to all flesh, not only apostle.

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Judas had been replaced by drawing lots to fill his place by a second Matthew.

E

eternally-gratefull

Just for reference sake

the Bible says the HS will baptize us, not that we will be baptized into the Holy Spirit.

if one is not baptized by the Hs (Rom 6, Col 2, 1 cor 12, etc etc) one has not recieved The washing of regeneration or spiritual circumcision spoken of by Paul, hence they are not saved,

Also, baptism in water, and baptism of the HS are two different events.

One is performed by God, one is oerfomed by man.

One saves a lost soul, one gets us wet, but is a command of God,

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
The laying on of is given to all of GODs saints . And we need to practice it . But the Gifts GOD gives as HE sees fit for HIS Church , GOD bless as HE sees fit
It may not be essential for salvation but it is absolutely essential for the saved.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them , Repent , and be baptized every one of you in the name of JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins , and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost .
Acts 10:44 Some received the Holy GHOST while peter was preaching , even before they was baptized .
Acts 10:48 . And he commanded them to be baptized even after they had received the Holy Ghost .So it is very important to be baptized .
Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou ? arise , and be baptized , and wash away thy sins , calling on the name of the LORD .
Romans 6:3 Know ye not ,that so many of us as were baptized into JESUS CHRIST , were baptized into HIS death ?
6:4 Therefore we are buried with HIM by baptism into death : that like as CHRIST was raised up from the dead by the glory of the father , even so we also should walk in newness of life .
Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into CHRIST have put on CHRIST . I would say brother that you need to take another LOOK at BAPTIZISM , IT LOOKs like a MUST to ME , HE that knoweth to do good , and doeth it not , TO HIM IT IS SINS .
Even the Jews were baptized when they went through the sea , the BIBLE says . 1 Cor 10:2
God bless as HE sees fit

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
Just for reference sake

the Bible says the HS will baptize us, not that we will be baptized into the Holy Spirit.

if one is not baptized by the Hs (Rom 6, Col 2, 1 cor 12, etc etc) one has not recieved The washing of regeneration or spiritual circumcision spoken of by Paul, hence they are not saved,

Also, baptism in water, and baptism of the HS are two different events.

One is performed by God, one is oerfomed by man.

One saves a lost soul, one gets us wet, but is a command of God,
With fire , But not unto JESUS death , THIS is done through Water baptism . Satan can cause you to errow in the scripture if you are not carful & preying .

E

eternally-gratefull

With fire , But not unto JESUS death , THIS is done through Water baptism . Satan can cause you to errow in the scripture if you are not carful & preying .
Wrong

it says we were baptized INTO Jesus death. Not INTO water

john Said jesus will baptise with Hs and FIRE and those who are baptized into fire shall be burned ...HELL

you better pick which one you want, because you will be baptized by God, one way or the other

Jan 17, 2020
Tongues ceased
“Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.” (1 Corinthians 13:8–10)

What is the “Perfect” = complete in Greek?
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17)

When John finished Revelation, scripture was complete.

So the Complete scripture replaced the incomplete prophecy and tongues.

If you want more consider this.

Paul said; “so that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the revelation [apocalypse] of our Lord Jesus Christ; who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye be unreproveable in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 1:7) = a Revelation [apocalypse] before the final apocalypse. What is it?

“The Revelation [apocalypse] of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass: and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John;” (Revelation 1:1)

Both of these themes fit together perfectly. And history confirms the gifts ceased until a few groups claimed to have them. But all is hearsay with no eyewitness or firsthand accounts.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
Wrong

it says we were baptized INTO Jesus death. Not INTO water

john Said jesus will baptise with Hs and FIRE and those who are baptized into fire shall be burned ...HELL

you better pick which one you want, because you will be baptized by God, one way or the other