Why the Baptism with the Holy Spirit is not for Today

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
I thought you were done too

LOL!

I'm not the reason people have a problem with your posts

they have a problem because what you believe is not in the Bible

this is what people are having a problem with:

filled with the Holy Spirit before salvation? you say yes, Bible says no

baptized or a person is not saved? you say yes, Bible says no

if baptized not using Jesus name only, must be re baptized you say yes, Bible says no

water washes away your sins you say yes to water regeneration, Bible says no

you ask for scripture to support the responses you get, people give you the scripture and you ignore it and then you post on an old thread to pretend you forgot something to cover the fact that scripture clearly showed that you were not following what it says

so whatever

you may not be done, but I am done with your inability to address what is posted and then complaining that people are trying to silence you

you are still here. so obviously no one has silenced you nor have they tried to do so
Have you ever considered how the following scripture relates to God's command that all MUST repent, get water baptized in Jesus' name and be filled with the Holy Ghost?

"And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thess 5:21

According to that scripture individuals can be found guilty of disobeying God in one or more areas that pertain to the human makeup; spirit, soul or body.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
The following conveys why the baptism of the Holy Ghost is still for today:

Upon hearing and believing the gospel the Samaritans immediately got water baptized in Jesus’ name by Philip the Evangelist. I wondered why Peter and John were sent for to impart the Holy Ghost. Considering Philip was full of the Holy Ghost why didn’t God just use him? I felt in my spirit that I was missing something. So, I questioned God about it.

A short while later I came across the scripture in Luke where the Apostle John (who accompanied Peter into Samaria) was rebuked by Jesus for asking if he and other disciples should call down fire and consume the Samaritans when they would not receive Jesus. (Luke 9:52-56)

Immediately realization hit me. God gave John a front row seat to witness exactly what Jesus meant when He said “I have come not to destroy men’s lives but to save them.” Yes, the Samaritans did receive fire from Heaven but not to destroy them. The fire come down from Heaven was in the form of the Holy Ghost that the Samaritan people needed in order for them to be saved.

May 29, 2018
This has generated lots of interest so I am posting my understanding of the issue. (I used to be Pentecostal).

Why the Baptism with the Holy Spirit is not for Today

Understanding the Baptism with the Holy Spirit in Acts is difficult. But I found the keys are the Ethiopian Eunuch Acts 8:27 and the Samarians Acts 8:5. In essence, all had the Holy Spirit but only the Samarians had the Baptism with the Holy Spirit.

These received the gift of the Holy Spirit according to Peter in Acts 2:38 just as we do today. But the Samarians also received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit through the apostle’s hands which the Eunuch did not.

On Pentecost God baptized the 12 Apostles with the Holy Spirit who also spoke in tongues. According to Acts 2:38 the eunuch and the Samarians had the gift of the Holy Spirit through Philip’s preaching. But Philip could not provide the baptism of the Holy Spirit for either. Acts reveals that beyond the two outpourings, only the Apostles through the laying on of their hands could baptize people in the Holy Spirit. It was the proof of apostleship Hebrews 2:4.

When the Apostles visited the Samarian converts, they laid their hands on them baptizing them in the Holy Spirit. But this was not the case with the Eunuch. It says he went on his way rejoicing after Philip baptized him in water.

So the Samarians and the Eunuch received the gift of the Holy Spirit through Philip’s preaching. But only the Samarians received the baptism with the Holy Spirit through the Apostles’ hands.

About 7 years later, God poured out the Holy Spirit on the gentiles at Cornelius’ house which resulted in their speaking in tongues just as the Apostles did at Pentecost.

Scripture doesn’t mention the 3000 converts on the day of Pentecost as baptized with the Holy Spirit. Nor the 5,000 converts days later. But we might assume those whom the Apostles baptized in water also received the baptism with the Holy Spirit through their hands. But anyone baptized by someone other than an apostle would have been like the Eunuch who received only the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Later, Paul preached to the disciples at Ephesus Acts 19:1. These like the Eunuch received the gift of the Holy Spirit. But they also received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit through the apostle’s hands the same way the Samarians did.

The Baptism with the Holy Spirit provided God’s word through tongues and prophecy until the New Testament canon became complete. How do we know this? Paul says scripture thoroughly equips us 2 Timothy 3:17. Paul said tongues and prophecy provided only partial knowledge 1 Corinthians 13:9. So it makes sense scripture replaced them when completed.

Beyond Acts, the Corinthians no doubt received the Baptism with the Holy Spirit through Paul’s hands. And Paul mentioned he wanted to visit the Romans to give spiritual gifts to them too Romans 1:11. Paul mentions laying his hands on Timothy who also received a gift 2 Timothy 1:6.

So we can say scripture directly supports the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for those ministered to by an apostle. That it was not for all. The Baptism with the Holy Spirit passed into history with the rest of the apostles Hebrews 2:4 because only they provided it as a sign of their authority. And that scripture replaced the fragmentary gifts of tongues and prophecy with the completed revelation. And we can confidently say believers from Pentecost on have the gift of Holy Spirit according to Acts 2:38, but not the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. Just as the Eunuch and believers since then.
Thanks for the information.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Our Father and His chilcren are the same today as they were at Abraham-s time, and I do not exclude those before Abraham either.