Why would a Christian wear a Prayer Shawl?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

presidente

May 29, 2013
A prayer shawl is not prayer, any more than a stove is the food we eat, but it is useful for prayer like a stove is useful to prepare food.

God designed it, and God is a wonderful designer, and God told us how to use it in Num. 15:37-40. God designed it for us when the numbers of believers was to large to fit in the meeting tent. It creates a special meeting place where you can be alone with the Lord.

Numbers 15: 37 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue:

39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the Lord, and do them ; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring:

40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.

41 I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the Lord your God.
I notice the passage says fringe on their garment not one time ritualized munugarment with fringe for prayer. The prayer shawl was probably an application of this passage for environments where wearing traditional clothing was difficult.

massorite

Jan 3, 2015
The scripture has said men do not need to cover their heads.

No further explanation or debate is needed.

Do what ever you want to do.

As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord and his word.
So much arguement with no scripture at all to back a claim. But you are peyond the shadow of a doubt very wrong.
Here is the command to where a prayer shawl for ever.
Num 15:37 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

Num 15:38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue:
Num 15:39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring:
Num 15:40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.
Num 15:41 I am the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the LORD your God.

It's called a "Tzitzit" and it is a "Prayer Shawl" with the Tzitzit/ tassels at all 4 corners of the prayer a shawl and men are commanded to ware one while praying to God.
Wearing Tzitzit Is a Reminder of God’s Laws, Yeshua Wore Tzitzit, Wearing Tzitzit Exalts God and His Commandments.
The Prayer Shawl with the Tzitzit is called the "Tallit Gadol" and here is another command to ware a prayer shawl.
Deu 22:12 Thou shalt make thee fringes upon the four quarters of thy vesture, wherewith thou coverest thyself.

The tallit gadol (Yiddish/Ashkenazic Hebrew tallis godoil; traditionally known as tallét gedolah among Sephardim), or "large" tallit, is worn over one's clothing resting on the shoulders. This is the prayer shawl that is worn during the morning services in synagogue by all male participants, and in many communities by the leader of the afternoon and evening prayers as well.

Christ wore a prayer shawl.
Mar 5:25 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years,
Mar 5:26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,
Mar 5:27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.
Mar 5:28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
Mar 5:29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.
Mar 5:30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?
Mar 5:31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
Mar 5:32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing.
Mar 5:33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.
Mar 5:34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

The woman was reaching out to touch the Tzitzit on the prayer cloth Christ was wearing.

Feb 29, 2020

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When brethren discuss and share what they learn from the Word, it should be understood it is honest conv ersation. To simply repeat chapter and verse with no understanding is far worse than sharing in the Holy Spirit.

massorite

Jan 3, 2015
What thread are you reading, sir?

I provided scripture.

His CLOTHES.

Not a "prayer shawl".

You are adding to scripture.
You gave no scripture to prove it wasn't a prayer shawl. You just gave a scripture and assumed it wasn't a prayer shawl. I gave scripture to prove it was in fact a prayer shawl as well as scripture to prove that men were commanded to ware a prayer shawl.

Feb 29, 2020
You just gave a scripture and assumed it wasn't a prayer shawl.
I am not assuming anything.

The scripture you provided about the woman approaching Jesus says that she touched his "clothes".

You are the one assuming she touched a "prayer shawl".

massorite

Jan 3, 2015
What thread are you reading, sir?

I provided scripture.

His CLOTHES.

Not a "prayer shawl".

You are adding to scripture.
It wasn't clothing she was reaching for it was a ""Tzitzit" she was reaching for. In Matt. 9:20 the word "Hem" is talking about a Fringe or Tassel. Strong's and Thayer's Greek/English Lexicon #G2899. This same definition applies to the word "border" in Luke 8:44 #G2899
In Mark 5:27 and 28 the word "Garment" and cloths" is speaking of the same thing which is a cloak Strong's #2440 and more intimately explained in the Thayer's Greek/English Lexicon as being an upper garment I.E. a cloak or mantle which is thrown over the tunic (his cloths). In Luke 8:44 the #G2440 applies to the word "garment" also.
So according to the definition of the words in question the woman never reached for the cloths was wearing but intstead she was reasching for His prayer shawl which had the "tzitzit" on all 4 of corners of His prayer shawl.
Do the research and know what you are talking about before you post.

massorite

Jan 3, 2015
I am not assuming anything.

The scripture you provided about the woman approaching Jesus says that she touched his "clothes".

You are the one assuming she touched a "prayer shawl".
Do the research on the word cloths in that scripture and you will find that the word cloths is talking about a cloak and not His cloths.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The woman said to herself if I were to just touch the fringe *tzit/tzit" of His garment I will be healed. She did, and she was! Praise God.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
Considering all scripture in totality, (as a man*) I am not inclined to use any material things to compliment prayer.

He will regard the prayer of the destitute (Psalm 102:17).

The prayer of the upright is his delight (Proverbs 15:8).

He hears the prayer of the righteous (Proverbs 15:29).

*However, women are told to use a covering when they pray (1 Corinthians 11:5-6); using nature as an example why this should be so (1 Corinthians 11:14-15).

The prayers that God will not hear are described here:

And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment (Isaiah 1:15-16).
make sure you quote the entire section

1 Corinthians 11:1-5 (KJV)
1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

So who is the HEAD of the Woman MAN , so if her HEAD is to be covered according to scripture her HUSBAND should be covered.

Who is the HEAD of man, JESUS. when men pray don't cover JESUS

HMMMM interesting when you read all scriptures isn't it.. certainly not what is taught .

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
In Romans 14: 3. One who eats must not look down on one who does not eat, and one who does not eat must not criticize one who does, because God has accepted him. Same for prayer shawls.

I think the Lord gives us both freedom to choose to accept a prayer shawl as wonderful for prayer, and accept the choice not to use one, but God doesn't accept being critical of each other.
I agree...and it was exactly WHY I pointed to Romans 14

Feb 29, 2020
It wasn't clothing she was reaching for
Give me a break.

The Bible says clothes, garment.

I marvel at people who go into greek and hebrew languages to meddle with the scripture for foolish things like this

Find me a translation that says that Jesus was wearing a "shawl".

massorite

Jan 3, 2015
Give me a break.

The Bible says clothes, garment.

I marvel at people who go into greek and hebrew languages to meddle with the scripture for foolish things like this

Find me a translation that says that Jesus was wearing a "shawl".
It is not my fault that you fail to do any kind of research and simply assume what scripture says or doesn't. I am an uneducated student of the Bible who has never been to any Bible collage, Seminary, institute or anything like that and have never studied the Greek or the Hebrew languages. But I have learned how to properly interpret scripture by having an open mind and a good study habits which are study habits you seem to be ignorant of and that is on you, not me. I also have research tools of integrity. Please don't blame me for your short comings. God gave us research tools to use in our efforts to fully understand His word and the Holy Spirit to guild us in that endeavor. Describing a prayer shawl with tassels and all should be enough to educate you on what the Bible is telling us with proper research tools and habits. Below are Jewish men in prayer wearing prayer shawls just as they are commanded to by God in His Word. Prayer shawls come in many different sizes from the ones you see in the picture, They can be smaller or go down to the ankles but all have tassels and they are cloaks, not clothing and they can be worn over or under clothing.
Looks like you didn't even bother to look up what I posted to see if what I was telling was true or not. So as usual when I prove someone wrong using recommended scriptural interpretation techniques and tools, all you have left is to insult and doubt cast on the scripture I quoted. I didn't write the word God did so doubt casting on the Word of God because you for whatever reason have refused to properly research the Word and left yourself unlearned and ignorant.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Mixing the grace of God that the body of Christ on earth receives in our new heart, with law is contamination.

To me, this is a fad that groups adopt from the scriptures and if presented in this light as a means to be alone with the Lord, then go for it. But, beware of wanting to be seen by others as being more spiritual and becoming prideful.

Just be real.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Considering all scripture in totality, (as a man*) I am not inclined to use any material things to compliment prayer.

He will regard the prayer of the destitute (Psalm 102:17).

The prayer of the upright is his delight (Proverbs 15:8).

He hears the prayer of the righteous (Proverbs 15:29).

*However, women are told to use a covering when they pray (1 Corinthians 11:5-6); using nature as an example why this should be so (1 Corinthians 11:14-15).

The prayers that God will not hear are described here:

And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment (Isaiah 1:15-16).
I agree about material things. If a prayer shawl is used materially, only, it is just a material thing. It is the use of this shawl that makes it valuable.

I will not let anyone touch my shawl, even, for fear of them thinking o it as a material object. It is a tool I use to create a meeting place with the Lord, that is it's only value. I value it, but not as a material piece pf white and blue wool, but as this meeting place with the Lord.

We build buildings we use for worshiping in, would you consider them a material thing it would be better not to use?

presidente

May 29, 2013
So much arguement with no scripture at all to back a claim. But you are peyond the shadow of a doubt very wrong.
Here is the command to where a prayer shawl for ever.
Num 15:37 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

Num 15:38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue:
Num 15:39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring:
Num 15:40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.
Num 15:41 I am the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the LORD your God.

It's called a "Tzitzit" and it is a "Prayer Shawl" with the Tzitzit/ tassels at all 4 corners of the prayer a shawl and men are commanded to ware one while praying to God.
Wearing Tzitzit Is a Reminder of God’s Laws, Yeshua Wore Tzitzit, Wearing Tzitzit Exalts God and His Commandments.

No doubt he was referring to I Corinthians 11 about men not having to cover their heads. I read that in the first century, Judean Jews did not cover their heads to pray, and that this was a Babylonian Jewish custom.

The passage you quoted said nothing about praying with a prayer shawl. It talked about remembering the commandments. And it does not say 'prayer shawl', but rather a garment. Why would you think they would just use an occasional ritualized garment instead of having tassles on their regular clothes?

Also, the audience is Israelites, not Gentile Christians. If the Torah commands Gentiles to wear tzitzit, please show me.

The Prayer Shawl with the Tzitzit is called the "Tallit Gadol" and here is another command to ware a prayer shawl.
Deu 22:12 Thou shalt make thee fringes upon the four quarters of thy vesture, wherewith thou coverest thyself.

IF there is something in the Hebrew, let us know. I don't see anything about a PRAYER shawl in the verse. It's a command about their clothing, not about a prayer shawl per se. The prayer shawl may be the remnant of a practice of keeping the commandment or an application of the commandment to modern dress.

May 23, 2020
A prayer shawl is not prayer, any more than a stove is the food we eat, but it is useful for prayer like a stove is useful to prepare food.

God designed it, and God is a wonderful designer, and God told us how to use it in Num. 15:37-40. God designed it for us when the numbers of believers was to large to fit in the meeting tent. It creates a special meeting place where you can be alone with the Lord.

Numbers 15: 37 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue:

39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the Lord, and do them ; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring:

40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.

41 I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the Lord your God.
Those verses don’t say it was for the purpose you describe. It says so that they remember the commands of God, not so that they have a private place to pray when meeting.

massorite

Jan 3, 2015
No doubt he was referring to I Corinthians 11 about men not having to cover their heads. I read that in the first century, Judean Jews did not cover their heads to pray, and that this was a Babylonian Jewish custom.

The passage you quoted said nothing about praying with a prayer shawl. It talked about remembering the commandments. And it does not say 'prayer shawl', but rather a garment. Why would you think they would just use an occasional ritualized garment instead of having tassles on their regular clothes?

Also, the audience is Israelites, not Gentile Christians. If the Torah commands Gentiles to wear tzitzit, please show me.

IF there is something in the Hebrew, let us know. I don't see anything about a PRAYER shawl in the verse. It's a command about their clothing, not about a prayer shawl per se. The prayer shawl may be the remnant of a practice of keeping the commandment or an application of the commandment to modern dress.
OOOPS you got a bit lost there. Nowhere did I talk about Christians wearing a prayer shawl and the research I have done has not revealed anything about covering the head with a prayer shawl. As best as I can tell it is supposed to be draped over the shoulders.
So I think a question might be "Should a Christian use a prayer shawl?" I think we can choose to wear a prayer shawl or not. Iether way there is no scripture that forbids us from using a prayer shawl in our efforts to Glorify God. I think if we wear a prayer shawl for the reasons set forth by God in Old Testament scripture I have already quoted I doubt very much if it would be eternally significant.

Mar 28, 2016
The scripture has said men do not need to cover their heads.

No further explanation or debate is needed.

Do what ever you want to do.

As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord and his word.
Do not need or do not dare as a loving commandment ?

Yes, as part of the two part demonstration a part of the law. Men are commanded not to cover their hair. Further explanation must be given .As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord and his word.

Why should his head of hair not be covered and her hair covered? What's the object lesson of the two working as one?

Mar 28, 2016
Those verses don’t say it was for the purpose you describe. It says so that they remember the commands of God, not so that they have a private place to pray when meeting.
The ends of the garments frayed are signified as temporal not finished to represent or earthen bodies as living temples . awaiting the new . Blue is used to represent the temporal. It is used to cover the gold as the measure of faith . It could be compared to the ark of the covenant concealing things inside. Cotton private place blankets with blue fringes keep a person warm doing a study. Like a hot cup of coffee or a supportive spouse.