Wild melons

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
We have over 20 small round melons growing in the cow pasture here. They look just like store watermelons. So I googled them and got different info about them. Some said edible, others say bitter. Then apparently some are poisonous.

Also read that they can be fried like green tomatoes. That is something I'd like to try but I don't want to get sick or worse.

Does anyone know for certainty?

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
Does your wife know that you are searching for wild melons on the internet?

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
We have over 20 small round melons growing in the cow pasture here. They look just like store watermelons. So I googled them and got different info about them. Some said edible, others say bitter. Then apparently some are poisonous.

Also read that they can be fried like green tomatoes. That is something I'd like to try but I don't want to get sick or worse.

Could you post a picture? And what part of the country?

7seasrekeyed

apparently, or so I have heard, if melons or similar start popping up like that, they are growing from a field previously planted with that crop

also in FL and have seen what you are talking about

my husband calls them 'volunteers' and he has spent most of his adult life in FL

but a pic would still help I guess ;)

if you live in FL, sooner or later some plant is bound to pop up somewhere :LOL:

or ants. they pop up too

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I hate fire ants!!!! The others too but fire ants have to come from hell. ☠️

7seasrekeyed

I hate fire ants!!!! The others too but fire ants have to come from hell. ☠️
I don't think I have ever met anyone who gets along with them

I have scars on my ankles before I became a believer in never ever walk barefoot in FL

being from the far north, I was an innocent waiting to be taken advantage of by fire ants

sometimes driving by pastures, you see these gigantic mounds and you just shudder to yourself knowing what's in them :eek::oops:

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I don't think I have ever met anyone who gets along with them

I have scars on my ankles before I became a believer in never ever walk barefoot in FL

being from the far north, I was an innocent waiting to be taken advantage of by fire ants

sometimes driving by pastures, you see these gigantic mounds and you just shudder to yourself knowing what's in them :eek::oops:
Me too. A Pa. girl and never knew about them. Was initiated fast. No sandals anymore until I get to the car.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I took pictures of the melons but the files are too large. Not sure what to do now but will try later. Here's my three dogs though. Toby, Lady, Jessie. ❤️

Attachments

7seasrekeyed

what a bunch of sweeties!!

here's a b/w of one of my huskies. all my dogs are comedians

1553101132415.png

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I took pictures of the melons but the files are too large. Not sure what to do now but will try later. Here's my three dogs though. Toby, Lady, Jessie. ❤️

Open the large photos in any image processor and resave them smaller. If you want to keep the originals at their larger size, rename the smaller ones…..

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Open the large photos in any image processor and resave them smaller. If you want to keep the originals at their larger size, rename the smaller ones…..
Image processor? Will have to google that. Thank you Jaume❤️

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
apparently, or so I have heard, if melons or similar start popping up like that, they are growing from a field previously planted with that crop

also in FL and have seen what you are talking about

my husband calls them 'volunteers' and he has spent most of his adult life in FL

but a pic would still help I guess ;)

if you live in FL, sooner or later some plant is bound to pop up somewhere :LOL:

or ants. they pop up too
...yeah, the ants - fire ants.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
This is Baby. He lives in the woods next to the field. Comes into the pasture every morning to be fed dog food. Strangest looking dog I've ever seen, but he loves us. We can pet him. 😎

IMG_0464.JPG

Feb 24, 2019

Yes! I know for certain!!
Stop thinking about things growing in the cow pasture and drag your eyes to Jesus Christ!
Let the melons rot.
Children are starving. Peter and Paul agreed they should "keep mindful of the poor"!
Think of Jesus suffering on the cross. Picture it! Him bleeding on that cross for our sakes!
Think of his compassion.
Think of his mercy - you remember the woman caught in adultery in John 8! - "neither do I condemn you"
Think of His words!
Think of how overwhelmingly beautiful He was!
And FOCUS!!! (and forget about the melons!)
:)

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
You sound an awful lot like my oldest son. "It's a good thing".. 😇