Will Receiving Negative Feedback Discourage People from Posting and Participating in the Forums?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Good morning, Everyone! :)

Like everyone else, I am trying to figure out all the new beeps and whistles of the new system. :)

One major change I'm sure everyone has noticed is the ability to now give out things like dislikes, angry faces, and even a big pile of poo in response to someone's post or thread.

For anyone who remembers the old rep system--when I started on CC in 2009, there used to 3 categories of rep that you could give someone: green (positive), gray (neutral), or red (negative.) Eventually, all that was left was green or gray, but then the gray only occurred when you were given rep by someone who didn't have any rep points to give you.

I know the rep system was occasionally used by some to give anonymous negative feedback or even abusive comments, and there was a member I used to correspond with here who pretty much gave up posting anything because people were anonymously telling him that his posts were "boring" and "a waste of time."

I'm glad to at least see that if someone does choose to give negative feedback in the form of a symbol, the system will show you who gave it.

But I also have to wonder, will the prospect of receiving 34 dislikes, 18 piles of poo, and 14 counts of erroneous spelling discourage a sincere member from continuing to post or trying to write threads?

I'm not criticizing the new system at all--there are several things I think we're all going to like once we get the hang of it, and I'm thankful to the administration for all their hard work.

But I also had to think about the fact that for many people, negative feedback totally shuts them down, and many just seem to give up trying (please forgive the fact that I am not on Facebook, so options like this are new to me, seeing as CC is about my only source of social media.)

Personally, if I wrote a thread that received a record number of dislikes and a whole mountain of poo... Chances are, I would most likely just go ahead and write a Part 2 sequel to the original thread because I'd be thinking, "Wow, this is a subject that people must really be passionate about, so I'd like to see it discussed from several different perspectives."

How about the rest of you?

* Do you find negative feedback on social media sites such to be harmful? How do you cope with it?

* What would you do to channel the negative feedback into positive actions you can take in your life?

* Do you think the capacity to give and receive feedback to posters will discourage people from posting?

Of course, I know that not everything in life is rosy and if you are doing anything worthwhile in life, chances are you are going to meet opposition. But how can we all overcome the negativity and turn it into something positive and productive?

Once again, I am not trying to criticize the new format at all--I would just like to hear your thoughts about how you think some of the new changes will affect our community.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
I don't mind getting a little negative feedback. I understand and respect that I'm not everyone's cup of tea.

Unless it turns into harassment, I'd continue to post .

N

NoNameMcgee

nahhhhh thumbs down wouldnt effect me one bit unless its from someone who has shown they are mature in their walk with God

in which case it would cause me to reflect on what it is i said

but haters are gonna hate
lol

i dont pay em no mind

im much more broken about the new format

no groups

huge text

i feel like a cave man trying to figure this out

(probably because i havent topped whining and dragging my feet)

T

toinena

I think the different feedback options are good. And if you try to provoke, as I sometimes may have a tendency of doing, or use irony then you are bound to get someone to dislike your post. I think it is better to get a angry face than angry PMs......

If you get more negatives than positives, it is perhaps time to review your posting style or find another place to be grumpy.

I choose to be positive about the changes. We are blessed to have this site to connect, interact and express ourselves. We can use it for free, and many spend hours making it possible for us working as volunteers. Yes, we might donate, but to have a commercial free site like this, it is totally worth it, and it is a great ministry.

T

toinena

nahhhhh thumbs down wouldnt effect me one bit unless its from someone who has shown they are mature in their walk with God

in which case it would cause me to reflect on what it is i said

but haters are gonna hate
lol

i dont pay em no mind

im much more broken about the new format

no groups

huge text

i feel like a cave man trying to figure this out

(probably because i havent topped whining and dragging my feet)
Huge text is a blessing for old folks like me. Don't mock that (ctrl+- and you get it as small as you want)

BruceWayne

Aug 7, 2013
Gotham City
* Do you find negative feedback on social media sites such to be harmful? How do you cope with it?
* Do you think the capacity to give and receive feedback to posters will discourage people from posting?

While it would not bother me, and I'm actually kind of liking this new layout, that's the one feature that I think is unnecessary. I never liked the idea on any site and do think it will take away from the experience of some users.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
Negative feedback on Melita? Pfft good luck trying to find something bad to say about me!

I’m a delight, dang it!!!!!

But for the real, it won’t bother me none.

:cool:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
All right ladies, I see we have another feller here we're gonna have to rescue! :)

We're all trying to figure out this new format together... Another fellow (male) poster was getting discouraged as well and a few of us ladies were trying to talk him through it.

I was joking that it felt like being in that scene where Forrest Gump is trying to give Lieutenant Dan a reason to live!!!

It's ok, NoName... Even if we have to pick up and can carry you (or just drag you through the newly formatted jungle), we are all going to get through this! :D

Nobody gets left behind. :)

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I miss the rep comments. That's how I anonymously sent love notes to other members.

Treadstone

May 21, 2018
I'm too laid back to get up in arms about negative feedback. But when I do I drink Dos Equis.

M

Miri

As Once Fallen said in another thread. It’s not poo, it’s chocolate ice cream! Lol
:poop::poop::poop:

M

Miri

All right ladies, I see we have another feller here we're gonna have to rescue! :)

We're all trying to figure out this new format together... Another fellow (male) poster was getting discouraged as well and a few of us ladies were trying to talk him through it.

I was joking that it felt like being in that scene where Forrest Gump is trying to give Lieutenant Dan a reason to live!!!

It's ok, NoName... Even if we have to pick up and can carry you (or just drag you through the newly formatted jungle), we are all going to get through this! :D

Nobody gets left behind. :)

It’s these young people you know. They aren’t as technically minded as us older ones.

:geek:

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
Maybe the negative comment/feedback deal will help us to have thicker skin. Or helps us not care as much. Idk. Something.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
This is the only social media site I participate in and negative feedback does not bother me at all, rather, I find it amusing unless it is from someone that I care about. In this circumstance I would just consider it constructive criticism and would consider it in possibly changing my perspective regarding what it concerned. Either way, no big deal.

Treadstone

May 21, 2018
I think if we all have a good attitude about it and not take it personal, we could have fun with it. Too much feelings getting hurt these days , oh no I hope nobody got hurt by this comment. :p

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Oh well, I have openly in writing been labelled a heretic preaching heresies,
along with posting crap and also preaching totally harmful content to the detriment of others;
then there's accusations of being too narrow, to condemning, too moral, too serious …

now it can all be expressed through little pictures - like this is what I think of your position on
speaking in tongues :poop: :poop: :poop: