Would you marry a Catholic?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
They don't pray to the saints, but they ask for the saints to pray for them (if I understand correctly). To me, this seems to be similar if I ask someone else like a friend to pray me (I'm not praying directly to God in this sense, but asking someone else to pray for me).

It is just their excuse but I don't buy it. They are on their knees while doing it and you call that not praying? And besides, there is only one intercessor and He is Jesus Christ.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

1 Timothy 2:5 KJV

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"And, from observation of many words put forth, it is disturbing, the absence of how LOVE
appears to be missing, and the necessity of LOVE needed within families.
Forty-six years of our union of marriage...'Praise God'.
And, we were each raised in a completely different 'faith', and family background.
It is irrelevant as to which 'faith', as a true LOVE should be strong enough to overcome

all things. We have learned acceptance, commitment, forgiveness and willing to change
for a more compatible relationship. Somewhere within these pages, I have shared my thoughts
concerning family unity. And, from my life 'history', only by the grace of God, I have come
to learn the profound significance of God's LOVE, which has enhanced our family LOVE.

When you omit LOVE, and the ability to express such, expect undesirable consequences."
~Thoughts to ponder~

View attachment 208367 :)
"Yeow, tried to delete this one with text color malfunction, but the thought is relevant.".....:D
"I crack me up sometimes, a senior thing"....perhaps."

John146

Jan 13, 2016
If you had waited until she became a believer she probably would have married someone else who would accept her as she was. What makes you believe that you were not following the Word of God?
Unequally yoked. She was not a believer at the time of our marriage.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
I don't know too much about Catholicism vs Protestantism but I find Catholics to be Christians. They believe in the main doctrines (Trinity, meaning of Christmas, Good Friday, Easter, etc.). They don't pray to the saints, but they ask for the saints to pray for them (if I understand correctly). To me, this seems to be similar if I ask someone else like a friend to pray me (I'm not praying directly to God in this sense, but asking someone else to pray for me). The biggest distinctions are that Protestants believe in faith alone, and scripture alone, whereas Catholics believe in both faith and works, and scripture plus tradition.

Protestantism is only about 500-600 years old, and is fairly new. Personally, I've questioned the credibility of Martin Luther (founder of Protestantism) after I learned that he wanted to remove a few additional books from the New Testament such as Hebrews, James, and Revelation. He had concerns over these books because they supported faith plus works-based salvation. So, sometimes I think we should just rely on the original (Catholic) Bible that has all the books.

A big reason due to the different beliefs is that we are using different books.
Praying to Saints is praying to the dead and the Bible tells us not to do that.
Following traditions aswell as following the Word of God is adding to the Word and we are told not to do that. These are traditions of men and doctrines of demons which the Bible speaks against.
I am not a Protestant or a Catholic I am a Bible believing, born again, Christian.
The original Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek it is not Catholic.

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
I'm not fond of the RCC for many many reasons .. I do prefer a church that goes by 1 Tim 3 for appointing preachers and elders .. But if anybody shouldn't have married anybody my wife shouldn't have married me

T

TheIndianGirl

Despite all the difference between Protestants and Catholics, and there are many, Catholics are still Christians. Period. A lot of issues that Protestants disagree with Catholics, such as praying for the dead, purgatory, veneration of Mary, etc., are based on the rejected books. The Catholics are not pulling this out of thin air. Martin Luther took at least seven books from the Catholic Bible, and wanted to also take out Revelation, Jude, James, and Hebrews. The Catholics have their reasons on why they regard these books highly/ same level as Scripture, to me the reasons are logical and supported by the books they use. The Catholics give heavy weight to the Catholic Church/tradition because the Catholic Church put together the books of the Bible (particularly New Testament) and so they have some authority, or did the Bible put together the Catholic Church, it is the chicken or the egg argument.

The early Catholic Church put together the Canon (the books in the Bible, before Martin Luther took out some of these books for the Protestants).

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Despite all the difference between Protestants and Catholics, and there are many, Catholics are still Christians. Period. A lot of issues that Protestants disagree with Catholics, such as praying for the dead, purgatory, veneration of Mary, etc., are based on the rejected books. The Catholics are not pulling this out of thin air. Martin Luther took at least seven books from the Catholic Bible, and wanted to also take out Revelation, Jude, James, and Hebrews. The Catholics have their reasons on why they regard these books highly/ same level as Scripture, to me the reasons are logical and supported by the books they use. The Catholics give heavy weight to the Catholic Church/tradition because the Catholic Church put together the books of the Bible (particularly New Testament) and so they have some authority, or did the Bible put together the Catholic Church, it is the chicken or the egg argument.

The early Catholic Church put together the Canon (the books in the Bible, before Martin Luther took out some of these books for the Protestants).
God will decide if Catholics are Christians, not you. If you read His Word it is plain to see that many will think they are saved when they are not. Jesus said, 'If you love me keep my commands.'
So if Catholics are Christians why are they still disobeying Him blatantly by obeying Catholic doctrines of men.
God put the Bible together; and I am not interested in what books theCatholics regard, because they are clearly deceived if they follow Catholic doctrine.
I am interested only in God's Word.
The Bible did NOT put together the Catholic Church; in fact it is an abomination before Him.
It is not just Protestants that disagree with the Catholic doctrine, it is any Bible- believing born again Christian who reads and understands the Bible and seeks to love and obey God.
The Catholic Church has NO authority whatsoever, it is God who has authority.
He has given us His Word; this is authority, which the Catholic doctrine contradicts. It is impossible to obey both.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The Catholics have their reasons on why they regard these books highly/ same level as Scripture, to me the reasons are logical and supported by the books they use.
You will need to examine this is more depth. The Catholic Church has no divine authority for including the apocryphal books within their Bibles. When Jerome was translating the Latin Vulgate directly from the Hebrew Bible, he discovered that those books did not belong in the Bible and wanted to exclude them. But he was compelled to include those 7 extra books. Of course they were in the corrupted Greek Septuagint (LXX) which has many more of those books.

Nov 8, 2019
London, England
Are Roman Catholics Christian or Anti-Chrisitian/Antichrist? If the latter, the question can be reworded to, "Would you marry an Antichrist?".

Douay–Rheims Bible

The Douay–Rheims Bible (pronounced /ˌduːeɪ/ or /ˌdaʊ.eɪ ˈriːmz/[1]) (also known as the Rheims–Douai Bible or Douai Bible, and abbreviated as D–R and DRB) is a translation of the Bible from the Latin Vulgate into English made by members of the English College, Douai, in the service of the Catholic Church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douay–Rheims_Bible

Lucifer invoked at the Vatican

Douay-Rheims Bible

Prophecy of Isaias (Isaiah) - Chapter 14

"...[12] How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, who didst rise in the morning? how art thou fallen to the earth, that didst wound the nations?..."

"...[12] "O Lucifer": O day star. All this, according to the letter, is spoken of the king of Babylon. It may also be applied, in a spiritual sense, to Lucifer the prince of devils, who was created a bright angel, but fell by pride and rebellion against God...."

http://www.drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=27&ch=14&l=12-#x

T

TheIndianGirl

Catholics are Christian because they accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and that Christ died for their sins. Plain and simple.

M

MegMarch

Catholics are Christian because they accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and that Christ died for their sins. Plain and simple.
I was a devout Catholic before I was saved. I can remember missing church once or twice in my life. I went to adoration weekly with my mom on and off. We prayed the rosary as a family most nights. I went through many of the sacraments in the church. I was not a Christian. I had no relationship with God. I went through the motions of religious activity, but my heart was hard and my spirit was dead. Would I have said I believed in Jesus at that time? Yes, but I didn't live my life as if I did. I was not born again or indwelt by the Holy Spirit. I didn't truly believe in God's Word. My life changed dramatically once I was saved.

All of that to say, we cannot generalize and say all Catholics are Christian merely because they say they believe in Jesus. We also cannot generalize and say that no Catholics are Christian because, as some as said, God sees the heart and judges accordingly. We are not completely privy to that information. We will know them by their fruit, but we see through tainted eyes. This is a case by case basis as most things are in life. I no longer believe in most of the Catholic doctrines as truth, but my family still remains Catholic. I love them more now as a Christian than I did before. It's not so cut and dry.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I was a devout Catholic before I was saved. I can remember missing church once or twice in my life. I went to adoration weekly with my mom on and off. We prayed the rosary as a family most nights. I went through many of the sacraments in the church. I was not a Christian. I had no relationship with God. I went through the motions of religious activity, but my heart was hard and my spirit was dead. Would I have said I believed in Jesus at that time? Yes, but I didn't live my life as if I did. I was not born again or indwelt by the Holy Spirit. I didn't truly believe in God's Word. My life changed dramatically once I was saved.

All of that to say, we cannot generalize and say all Catholics are Christian merely because they say they believe in Jesus. We also cannot generalize and say that no Catholics are Christian because, as some as said, God sees the heart and judges accordingly. We are not completely privy to that information. We will know them by their fruit, but we see through tainted eyes. This is a case by case basis as most things are in life. I no longer believe in most of the Catholic doctrines as truth, but my family still remains Catholic. I love them more now as a Christian than I did before. It's not so cut and dry.
Very well said; thanks for sharing. :)

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Is it the same Jesus? The Bible says that many false will rise up. If people say they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for their salvation and then do a whole load of other things which they trust in for salvation then they only SAY they believe on Him, but their actions show different and they are living a lie. We must be truthful about this because God said He desires truth in the inward parts and the salvation of souls is the most important thing there is, that is why a sinless, precious Christ the very Son of God/God in the flesh sufferedand died. It doesn't get any more important or serious. This is about eternity. We must be honest about all this from scripture.

M

morefaithrequired

they're coming out of the closet now 😁

M

morefaithrequired

youve just stolen the whole Protestant premise. they wont like that.