Writing game/challenge

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tinuviel

Spring is a long time coming in my neck of the woods, and for me that means: games! Here's a writing game that I've always really enjoyed.

The rules are really simple, Write the first few sentences/paragraphs of an imaginative novel using the five words provided for you by the user above. All words/content should be Christian-friendly :) It can be a super simple classic fairy tale, or more complicated--the beginning of a saga yet to be written. Some enjoy spinning it out as long as possible, others prefer the challenge of fitting all the words into a short sentence or two. Ideally, you not only use all the words, but also make it really interesting and get the readers hooked! The fun is making all the words hang together, and making your words for the next user as difficult as you can. Here's a really simple example of how it works:

Feed
Dog
Wherever
Sudden
Bed

Mary had a sudden fear that Sam--wherever he was--had forgotten to feed the dog. She jumped out of bed to check.

Remember: this isn't a round-robin game. The next user does not have to be continuing the story, (though of course they are allowed to!) but rather they are beginning a story of their own. The beauty of the game is it's flexibility, so run with it!

Here's the words:

Petunia
Baking
Pompadour
Lipstick
Sigurd

One, Two, Three...Go!

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Sigurd came home from a long day's work, drawing what life he could from the baking fields. There was hope for the petunia below the bay window, but the lipstick red sun scorched the green out of everything else.

"I'd have better luck making pompador wigs.", the Swede muttered under his breath.

legal pad
mug
german shepherd
swiss army knife
lighter fluid

J

joefizz

Spring is a long time coming in my neck of the woods, and for me that means: games! Here's a writing game that I've always really enjoyed.

The rules are really simple, Write the first few sentences/paragraphs of an imaginative novel using the five words provided for you by the user above. All words/content should be Christian-friendly :) It can be a super simple classic fairy tale, or more complicated--the beginning of a saga yet to be written. Some enjoy spinning it out as long as possible, others prefer the challenge of fitting all the words into a short sentence or two. Ideally, you not only use all the words, but also make it really interesting and get the readers hooked! The fun is making all the words hang together, and making your words for the next user as difficult as you can. Here's a really simple example of how it works:

Feed
Dog
Wherever
Sudden
Bed

Mary had a sudden fear that Sam--wherever he was--had forgotten to feed the dog. She jumped out of bed to check.

Remember: this isn't a round-robin game. The next user does not have to be continuing the story, (though of course they are allowed to!) but rather they are beginning a story of their own. The beauty of the game is it's flexibility, so run with it!

Here's the words:

Petunia
Baking
Pompadour
Lipstick
Sigurd

One, Two, Three...Go!
(I might try later if I can ever get "bold" to work properly for words)

T

Tinuviel

Sigurd came home from a long day's work, drawing what life he could from the baking fields. There was hope for the petunia below the bay window, but the lipstick red sun scorched the green out of everything else.

"I'd have better luck making pompador wigs.", the Swede muttered under his breath.

legal pad
mug
german shepherd
swiss army knife
lighter fluid
Man, either I'm exceptionally bad at this today, or you play a mean game.

Kip stiffined beside Crissy, and she quickly laid a hand across the German Shepherd's muzzle, silencing him before his sharp bark alerted the official-looking man who stood with his back towards them on the trail. In the world of Swiss Army knives, flint-and-steel and log cabins where Crissy lived, the nicely dressed man with his legal pad and briefcase looked strange and out of place; but that was not what caused Kip's alertness. Crissy's sensitive woodland nose smelled it a few seconds after Kip's: kerosene. Kerosene in the woods could only mean one thing in the daytime, and that was lighter fluid. The man had a whole mug full that he was pouring out on the forest floor.

porridge
clematis
foray
jumped
lemon

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
The hungry dog jumped over the fence and ate the lemon porridge that had been knocked over during the foray that the clematis had started.. A startled cat sadly watched the dog eat what WOULD have been his breakfast, had the other dogs not bumped into the table.

Weather
Flowers
Sneakers
Daffodils
junkyard dog

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
The fridgid wind blew thick snow sideways. Jen ran to her car holding her coat closed at her neck, her hands freezing. When would this weather finally stop? She climbed into her car blowing her warm breath into her cupped hands and finally reached into her pocket for her keys. She started the engine and turned the defrost on at her feet to warm them. The snow was already melting through her sneakers. The daffodils had already began to sprout in her yard. This cold would reek havoc on her flowers. As she backed out of the parking space she heard a thud and a loud yelp followed by high pitched whimpering. She felt her heart sink as she put the car in park and jumped back out into the blinding snow. She ran behind the car and fell to her knees as she recognized old Mr. Peterson's junkyard dog...

Sipped
Skipped
Slipped
Sailed
Surfaced

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I can see this thread getting jumbled if it gets popular...

Georg's sled sailed over the hard-packed snow. The dogs were feisty this bright morning and seemed to enjoy running and pulling the full load. Georg ran too, only jumping on the back for a moment as he sipped his steaming coffee from his new travel mug. His encouraging shouts echoed off the trees as they crossed onto the frozen lake. The sled skipped over an ice ridge near the shore, and the dogs lurched as it came down again. As they turned toward the sun, Georg jumped on again to adjust his goggles... and missed seeing the darkening ice underneath. Suddenly the dogs barked, slewing sideways to avoid the crumbling ice beneath their paws. Georg helplessly watched as the sled slipped almost sideways on the thinning ice and broke through, dragging him in with it. The dogs fought to drag the sled out before they were pulled in as well. With claws tearing at the ice they strained against the traces. Every second was deadly... the dogs sensed the danger and strove harder. Finally, with the sled half-floating, Georg surfaced beside it and hollered. The dogs redoubled their efforts and, with Georg pushing and paddling, he was dragged onto solid ice and then to shore and safety.

piston
leaf
camel
negative
nutmeg

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Petunia
Baking
Pompadour
Lipstick
This could be fun.

While Sigurd was fixing his pompadour, he realized that the petunia lipstick that he was baking had way to much animal fat in it.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
I can see this thread getting jumbled if it gets popular...

Georg's sled sailed over the hard-packed snow. The dogs were feisty this bright morning and seemed to enjoy running and pulling the full load. Georg ran too, only jumping on the back for a moment as he sipped his steaming coffee from his new travel mug. His encouraging shouts echoed off the trees as they crossed onto the frozen lake. The sled skipped over an ice ridge near the shore, and the dogs lurched as it came down again. As they turned toward the sun, Georg jumped on again to adjust his goggles... and missed seeing the darkening ice underneath. Suddenly the dogs barked, slewing sideways to avoid the crumbling ice beneath their paws. Georg helplessly watched as the sled slipped almost sideways on the thinning ice and broke through, dragging him in with it. The dogs fought to drag the sled out before they were pulled in as well. With claws tearing at the ice they strained against the traces. Every second was deadly... the dogs sensed the danger and strove harder. Finally, with the sled half-floating, Georg surfaced beside it and hollered. The dogs redoubled their efforts and, with Georg pushing and paddling, he was dragged onto solid ice and then to shore and safety.

piston
leaf
camel
negative
nutmeg
Good job man!

The Camel while eating the nutmeg leave had an adverse affect and had an incident which shot out like a piston.

Nuts
cream
Dog
win
coat

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Ralph removed the last camel from the paper cartridge and quickly noticed his girlfriend's negative expression. Her fist formed a ball and shook like a piston.

"What?!" he said, "It's just a leaf. Like uhhh nutmeg!"

Hog
Filter
Gasoline pump
The Pope
Mountain

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
What can we do, when tin's game pulls like a magnet early on sunday morning, and we got to be preparing for church...! Here, i see others have made their stories, but i'm not able to write one again soon i think, so..

"Have you ever seen a piston? " the leaf asked a camel passing by. The latter indicated negative by shaking his head, and walked on to search for his nutmeg treat.

What a lame story... Anyway, try these:

jasmin
donuts
tearful
donkey
coconuts

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Jasmin mounted her donkey for what was sure to be a tearful goodbye. Never again would she run through the shores as soft as powdered donuts or delight in the coconuts which hung at arm's length in the shade.

Ladder
Lamp
Bread
Chess
Candles

L

LittleMermaid

Belle climbed down the ladder with the lamp in her hand. She found the book she was looking for. How to Make Candles. She was sure the Beast would enjoy candling making with their bread and cheese snack. After all, they did have a lot of fun playing chess the night before.

Cow
Pencil
Sky
Lettuce
Purse

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
After a meager dinner of bread and cheese , Oliver and Charlie climbed the ladder to the small loft where they slept. They took out the last two candles they had and lit the old lamp on their makeshift desk. "One game of Chess before bed , Charlie ask." "Okay" whispered Oliver, "but we must be quiet so Mum doesn't hear "

Storm
Glasses
Trees
Fidget
Tears

T

Tinuviel

Storm
Glasses
Trees
Fidget
Tears

The storm tossed the trees above us as we sat crouched in the shadows. Tommy had lost his glasses, Elsa was in tears. I was at my wits end. I couldn't handle any more, and I snapped at Joe when he began to fidget. This would be a long, cold night.

Hair
Case
Stocking
Gone
Whenever

A

AuntieAnt

Miss Marvel’s hair was its usual hot mess, so she reached into her leather case for a stocking cap. Pulling the knit cap over her head, she ran down the steps and was gone to wherever the day would take her, and would return whenever.

Cat
Hula-hoops
Oldsmobile
Mayonnaise
Earbuds

T

Tinuviel

"Com'mon!" My little sister was tugging at me; her hands had mayonnaise on them, and she even had some in her hair. I had a new shirt on and I pushed her dirty hands away from me. "Stop it!"

"Nicole, you're gonna miss it!"

"This better be good," I muttered. Sisters! I had been listening quietly to my music, trying out my new earbuds, not bothering anyone, and she had had to grab me, drag me away, and annoy me.

As it turned out, I'm glad she did, and I'll never forget that day when we saw the cat juggling hula-hoops on top of the Oldsmobile.

Lisa
Jerry
Sarah
Dominique
George

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
"I say, Jerry. Lake George is beautiful this time of year."

"Right you are, Xavier. Nearly as beautiful as my Sarah."

"Slander sir! My Lisa is the flower of the Hudson!"

"My rapier 'Dominique' says otherwise, you cad!"

People in Eastern New York sound nothing like that.

canon
cannon
powerball
banjo
tango