I appreciate you asking, even if I don't have the chops in Greek to offer assistance. Many people have closed minds on the subject, as you have seen.I'm sorry I asked.
Live long and prosper. No, that's Star Trek.May the Force be with you.
Since τίς is an indefinite in Titus 1:6, could εἴ τίς ἐστιν suggest that women can also serve as elders in the Church? I would be pleased to hear argument from both sides of the question.
Since τίς is an indefinite in Titus 1:6, could εἴ τίς ἐστιν suggest that women can also serve as elders in the Church? I would be pleased to hear argument from both sides of the question.
Joel3:282:28, I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh and your sons
and your daughters shall prophesy.
Either women can be elders, or they cannot. Your ‘rare situation’ cannot be the justification for allowing something otherwise completely forbidden. Alternately, women may indeed be elders, regardless of the availability of men to serve in that role.To serve as an elder over a congregation, one must be a qualified biological, Christian, man. Reading more into Titus, it seems that this is less about a woman's inability to serve equal to or greater than a man, but more about the relationship of men and women in creation.
That being said, in the absence of a qualified Christian man, a godly woman should be able to be an elder to a congregation in unique, but rare, situations such as when there are no qualified spiritually mature Christian men available. While Paul doesn't directly say any of this, it seems inferred in the context of Titus, and τίς may possibly be an allusion to that.
Either women can be elders, or they cannot. Your ‘rare situation’ cannot be the justification for allowing something otherwise completely forbidden. Alternately, women may indeed be elders, regardless of the availability of men to serve in that role.
I am not saying that women are completely forbidden; rather, you are saying they are forbidden except in rare circumstances. I say that is inconsistent, and that you must either make allowances that the text doesn’t, or you must rethink your position.Eldership is conditional and there are prerequisites. One of those prerequisites is being a man. What constitutes a qualified man, among other things, is what follows:
Titus 1
5The reason I left you in Crete was that you might put in order what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you. 6An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.
In the rare event there are no men available, who have the above characteristics and qualifications, then they aren't the kind of men Paul said a woman can't have authority over. Hence why it wouldn't be a violation for a woman to oversee unqualified men of these types.
So my questions for your claims are, where is a woman completely forbidden from being an elder? In the event my "rare situation" occurred, is it better to leave the congregation without an overseer of God's household?
I am not saying that women are completely forbidden; rather, you are saying they are forbidden except in rare circumstances. I say that is inconsistent, and that you must either make allowances that the text doesn’t, or you must rethink your position.
That's accurate about what I believe the Bible says. What I see is Paul had a preference for male eldership and leadership in general. This isn't an all or nothing sort of thing to do, i.e., either allow for women eldership or don't allow it at all. I think it's conditional upon if there are qualified men available and if there aren't a qualified woman should step up.
In the event my "rare situation" occurred, is it better to leave the
congregation without an overseer of God's household?
I see what Dino is saying... She's either qualified or not, if this scripture is used as a qualifer.That's accurate about what I believe the Bible says. What I see is Paul had a preference for male eldership and leadership in general. This isn't an all or nothing sort of thing to do, i.e., either allow for women eldership or don't allow it at all. I think it's conditional upon if there are qualified men available and if there aren't a qualified woman should step up.
I will take a shot at it.Since τίς is an indefinite in Titus 1:6, could εἴ τίς ἐστιν suggest that women can also serve as elders in the Church? I would be pleased to hear argument from both sides of the question.
I understand your position, though I disagree with it. Thanks for explaining.That's accurate about what I believe the Bible says. What I see is Paul had a preference for male eldership and leadership in general. This isn't an all or nothing sort of thing to do, i.e., either allow for women eldership or don't allow it at all. I think it's conditional upon if there are qualified men available and if there aren't a qualified woman should step up.
If women weren't allowed, it seems we would see God's judgment for
rebellion, wouldn't we? For judgment must first come to the House of God
first
I'm sorry I asked.
.
.• Rev 3:19 . . As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten
I think we have to accept the rather unpleasant reality that there are
churches Christ doesn't love; in point of fact: quite possibly has never loved.
_