🌷 Being single and longing for marriage…

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Maryyy2

New member
Sep 29, 2026
18
15
3
18
Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about how deeply I desire marriage and a family of my own someday. I genuinely have such a heart for being a wife, creating a Christ-centered home, and loving and serving my future husband and family. šŸ’šŸ•Šļø

I know I’m not supposed to rush God’s timing, and I truly want to trust Him with every part of my future. But sometimes it’s hard when marriage is something I desire so deeply. I want to be able to share life with someone who loves Jesus wholeheartedly and desires to build a beautiful, God-honoring marriage together. 🌸

I’m praying for a husband who is kind, intentional, humble, faithful, and deeply rooted in Christ. Someone who wants to pray together, grow together, serve together, and ultimately keep Jesus at the center of everything. šŸ¤

For now, I’m trying to embrace my season of singleness, grow closer to the Lord, and become the woman He is calling me to be. I may not know when marriage will come, but I trust that God knows exactly what He’s doing. 🌷

ā€œDelight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.ā€ — Psalm 37:4 ✨

I’d love to hear from other Christian women who also have a strong desire for marriage. How do you balance wanting marriage while still trusting God’s timing? šŸ’•
 
I remember this lady speaking at church (to other ladies) and how she desired marriage, I think she was in her 30s when she got married.


So Rosie writes Christian books, and apparently her Barn Chronicles are very popular. Yes she lives on a farm (with a barn) and now has a big family and even a grandmother now.

The devotional, which I have, is about her journey esp when she was in Papua New Guinea being a missionary while everyone else in her church circle was getting married.

She published her diaries to be helpful to other Christian women on similar journeys, and she now has a wonderful husband (I haven't met her husband) that she waited a long time for.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: TabinRivCA
Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about how deeply I desire marriage and a family of my own someday. I genuinely have such a heart for being a wife, creating a Christ-centered home, and loving and serving my future husband and family. šŸ’šŸ•Šļø

I know I’m not supposed to rush God’s timing, and I truly want to trust Him with every part of my future. But sometimes it’s hard when marriage is something I desire so deeply. I want to be able to share life with someone who loves Jesus wholeheartedly and desires to build a beautiful, God-honoring marriage together. 🌸

I’m praying for a husband who is kind, intentional, humble, faithful, and deeply rooted in Christ. Someone who wants to pray together, grow together, serve together, and ultimately keep Jesus at the center of everything. šŸ¤

For now, I’m trying to embrace my season of singleness, grow closer to the Lord, and become the woman He is calling me to be. I may not know when marriage will come, but I trust that God knows exactly what He’s doing. 🌷

ā€œDelight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.ā€ — Psalm 37:4 ✨

I’d love to hear from other Christian women who also have a strong desire for marriage. How do you balance wanting marriage while still trusting God’s timing? šŸ’•

Hi, Mary!

Desiring these things is normal. And desiring them intensely is normal, too.

Marriage is supposed to be a genuinely good thing, so it's certainly acceptable to desire it. I think it helps to understand the picture at the Garden of Eden. Marriage was part of God’s original design for humanity. Isn’t that interesting? The first marriage happened while Adam had a perfect, sinless relationship with God. Isn’t that interesting? In other words it wasn’t a lack of ā€œGod being enoughā€ that made Him create Eve and put them together. God looked at Adam and said it wasn’t good for man to be alone.

Wait! You mean even when he was totally with God, Adam still needed someone else? Whoops.

Of course, what happened afterwards? Mankind rebelled, sin entered the world, and everything has been screwed up ever since. We live in a bad world, where bad things happen and life doesn’t always go our way. I’m sure many people are single because we simply live in a fallen world, not because it’s God’s gracious and generous Master Plan. I’ve often read that there’s more Christian women in the world than there are Christian men. If that’s broadly accurate, it means that not everyone will be able to marry. In Matthew 19 Jesus talks about singles (well, eunuchs), and he mentions a few different types. People who choose to live that way, people who are made that way by God, and people who are made that way by other men. So some people are single, and it’s not because they chose it or because God chose it. It’s just how life turned out.

Yes, God is good. But we live in a world that is not good.

You also mentioned "God's timing." Sometimes, when single Christians question why they're still single they'll get Christianese answers like "because it's not God's timing" or "not God's plan right now" or something like that. According to these people, God has one person for you that He's going to provide but just hasn’t done it yet. if you've listened to sermons about this, or read Christian books about this, you've probably encountered this idea.

Apparently, you need to be "patient," because "God's ways are better than our ways." And God will bring you The One." You need to learn to "trust God's plan." You need to learn to "trust God's timing." Etc., etc. On and on the Christianese clichƩs and platitudes go.

They'll also try to use biblical examples, like Isaac and Rebekah, or Ruth and Boaz. So, yeah, if you're a single guy , just send your servant to a well. :ROFL:

These people mean well, they do. Usually, I'm sure, they're just trying to be comforting. It can also be a quick, easy, and painless way to exit an uncomfortable conversation. It might help you sleep better at night. But it probably won't help you find a spouse.

God never promised marriage to any of us. How can you trust God to fulfill a promise He never made to you?

A lot of people think that God is a Puppetmaster who's running every aspect of your love life. Personally, I doubt that, though. The people who believe that are, in my experience, people who met each other by coincidence (when they "stopped looking" as the clichƩ goes) and then got married at 21. Easy for them to say.

The Bible doesn't teach us anything about "soulmates." See 1 Corinthians 7:39, for instance. And Jesus even says that that there is no marriage in Heaven. The idea of a "soulmate" comes from Greek philosophy and mythology. But the Bible doesn't mention it. The Bible doesn't even talk about how to find someone to marry. Also, when you believe in "soulmates," it can put too much pressure on your personal interactions with people you find attractive, causing you to over-analyze whether so-and-so is "The One." And when people think about their "soulmate," they often think about how that person will be "perfect" for me, not so much the other way around. Believing in this sort of thing can also keep us from working on our stuff. For example, I, personally used to struggle a lot with certain sins, insecurities and alack of ability to communicate with the opposite sex. Obviously, this got in the way of me attracting a potential partner. I don't attribute these things to "God's plan."

Also, when people tell you that "God has a plan" and that you just need to be more "patient," well, the funny thing about this sort of advice is that we don't give it in other life situations. What if you're homeless, or unemployed, or being abused, or sick? Are people going to tell you to just wait, be "content" with those situations, and wait for God to do everything for you? Probably not. When those sorts of things happen, is it because that's "God's plan" and God's best for you right now"? I would say no.

Another reason a lot of Christians might be single is because their belief in "The One" keeps them from working on their own stuff. Some of us might be single currently because of our (or other people’s) sin, insecurities and/or lack of ability to communicate with the opposite sex. It’s not anything that I’m doing, or the choices that I or others around me make. It’s all God’s fault, or God's plan, or something.

Attributing all this stuff to God can be a way to hide from things. Like our disappointment with God. He hasn’t delivered me a spouse but, hey, it’s all good, He must have a different ā€œplan." It can also keeps us from dealing with our own stuff. Waiting on God often seems to mean, ā€œI’m not doing anything wrong....it’s just that God hasn’t sent me The One yet.ā€ Yeah, it couldn’t possibly have anything to do with me. Yikes! And it often just leads to inaction on our part, where we feel like we don't have to take any risks, where we're waiting for some perfect scenario, or we're not doing the obvious things that may help.

Besides, if marriage is entirely in "God's hands," then why has God suddenly decided to make people wait longer to get married? It used to be common, in ancient times and for a long time afterwards, for people to marry in their late teens and twenties. Then, in more modern times, it keeps getting pushed back. So God suddenly decided to make people wait longer to get married? Huh? Why? Does He want to "test" us more these days or something? :ROFL:

Apparently, back in the day God wanted everyone to be married early but then, for some weird reason, He changed his mind. Apparently, in the 1950s, something like 90% of Americans identify as Christians, and something like 67% of American adults were married. In 2026, something like 62-67% of Americans identify as Christians, and something like 47% of American adults are married. Is that because of "God's plan"? Apparently, God said, ā€œYou know, I’m tired of everyone being married, let's change it up.ā€ :ROFL:

And why did God do away with betrothals and arranged marriages? Why did he have to invent the modern dating scene? :ROFL:

Attributing all this stuff to God can also be a way to hide things. Like disappointment with God. He hasn’t delivered me a spouse but it’s all good, He must have a different ā€œplan." It can also keep us from dealing with our own stuff. "Waiting on God" often seems to mean, ā€œI’m not doing anything wrong – it’s just that God hasn’t sent someone yet.ā€ Yeah it couldn’t possibly have anything to do with me. Yikes!

I think we sometimes have bad motives for leaving these situations in ā€œGod’s hands.ā€ For example, we’re scared to make the first move, we don’t like dealing with rejection, we don’t like dealing with our own insecurities or shortcomings, or we don’t like dealing with our fears. And, of course, as Christians we often just over-spiritualize everything. That’s how we get to places where we think things like ā€œIt’ll happen when God wills it.ā€ Of course, none of this stuff is helpful if you’re still single at, say, 25 or older. I mean, if we’re on a job search, we don’t approach it that way, now, do we? Or goals like, say, weight loss.

I mean, if you're, say, 25 or older and you want to get married, but you're still single, and all you've done is "wait on God's timing," you should probably put some serious effort into it. It's probably not going to "just happen."
 
  • Heart
Reactions: TabinRivCA
Cont.
People will also tell you that, if you're currently single, the Good Christian Thing To Do is to learn to be "content" with it. The Bible doesn't say that, though. When Paul talks about "contentment in Philippians 4, he talks about being content in all things, not with all things. I think there's a difference. And, in 1 Corinthians 7, Paul doesn't say that if you're currently single you have to learn to be "content" with it. He says that if you're not content with it, then maybe you should get married. Paul does say that he, personally, is content with being single, and that he wishes that everyone was like him. But he also says that not everyone is like that.

I mean, striving to be content in order to be "ready" or "good enough" to find a spouse is not good. First, it’s a little dishonest. If I’m trying to become "content" so that I can get married, well, then I’m not really content, am I. And what about the people who date in high school, date in college, and then get married at 21 without ever entering a long "season of singleness"? married early in life. Were they content in singleness first? I’m gonna say no. Why didn't God have to make them single so they could learn all the Christian Contentment Lessons? We can definitely over-spiritualize this stuff.

People might also tell you that you're in a "season of singleness," and probably add that God ordained it that way. The Bible doesn't say anything a "season of singleness." It talks about marriage, and it talks about people who stay single. And you are not required to stay single if you don't want it. God doesn't promise us marriage, but it's perfectly fine to pursue it.

What all does Paul say about singleness? In 1 Corinthians 7 Paul says he has no ā€œcommandment from Godā€ about this. Paul says that he wishes that everyone was single like him ── not that God wishes it. He says that he, personally, is content with being single ── but he admits that not everyone is like that. He says that it’s good to stay single, but that it’s better to marry if you have strong desires. Paul ā€œsupposesā€ that it’s better to stay single because of ā€œthe present distress,ā€ some crisis that the church in Corinth was dealing with at the time. He says you’re not sinning by marrying. Paul says a widow would be happier if she stayed single, but he admits that this is just a personal opinion. Evidently, many people are not happier being single. In 1 Timothy 4:1-3 Paul also condemns people who forbid marriage. And if Paul wrote the Book of Hebrews, then he also said that marriage is a good thing.

When Paul talks about "contentment" in 1 Corinthians 7, he is not saying here that if you're unmarried, then you don’t have to worry about the things of marriage. It would be more accurate to say that one of the ways to see if you are called to celibacy is to ask if you are worried about it. Otherwise, Paul would be saying that single Christians people are "better" followers of Jesus than married Christians. If that were true, well, then no one should get married. :ROFL:

I may have started rambling. Anyway, the desire for marriage is normal and good. But, I would be careful about putting too much stock into the Christianese platitudes you hear about "God's timing" and "being content" and waiting for "The One" and things like that. Sometimes we have to take action to make our dreams happen. And it's not a sign of "weak faith" to take action. Isn't it in acting that our faith is proven?

Are you single for a reason? Probably. Maybe a couple reasons. But I wouldn't automatically assume that these reasons are all because of "God's Plan."

So, yeah, I would definitely spend the single "season" to learn about marriage. Maybe read some Christian books about it. Maybe get house in order with whatever skills you might need to be a wife or mother. Maybe build up your finances. And don't be afraid to be proactive in the dating scene, if you're ready to date. I wouldn't just "wait on God." That might keep you single forever.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: TabinRivCA
Also, as a single person, I currently have lots of time to read, and I do it often. Some of these books, of course, deal with singleness and dating. maybe some of these will be helpful:

Single Dating Engaged Married (Ben Stuart)
Not Yet Married (Marshall Seagall)
Outdated (Jonathan Pokluda)
Living Whole Without A Better Half (Wendy Widder)
Thrive (Lina AbuJamra)

These books are pretty good, although they all explain the "gift of singleness" by using the analogy of being a "present," that you have to be "grateful for" and "take advantage of," probably my one point of criticism for each of these.

When Paul calls singleness a ā€œgift,ā€ he seems to be referring to an ability, not the state of being single. Remember, Paul didn’t write these epistles in English. In Greek, the word ā€œgiftā€ here means an ability. It’s the same word he uses for spiritual gifts. He also says in 7:9 that this gift is ā€œfrom God.ā€ Which lines up with Matthew 19, where Jesus teaches that some people stay single because God made them that way, while others choose to stay single, and others are single because of worldly circumstances, and not because they chose it or because God chose it.

Paul does not say that you have the "gift of singleness" until you get married. He says that if you have the gift of singleness, then don't get married. And one of the ways to know if you have it or not is to ask whether or not marriage, or the desire for marriage, is "distracting." And if you do have the desire to marry, you're allowed to pursue that.

Christian books about singleness aren't always good, but these are all pretty good, I think. Maybe they'll help a bit.
 
I had a look at my copy of My Heart Overflows - a devotional by Rosie Boom

and for todays entry it has 2 Timothy 2:24-25

She writes about gentleness, being kind and patient that leads others to repentence. Not being quarrelsome. She writes that she will learn these 2 verses off by heart.

I agree we need to learn (also when dealing with children). She also has another quote.

Better make penitents by gentleness than hypocrites by severity - St Francis de Sales
 
Rosie writes that she wrote this devotional for about 2 years while being a missionary in Borneo, and when she finished it she met her now husband (who came over to Borneo to visit) got married and had 6 children. She gave the devotional to her husband on her wedding day.
Then God reminded her that it would be good of her to publish it so she did.

She dedicated the book to her mother who lived to be 92 years old.

Her mother was a missionary so I suppose if you are from a missionary family every single day is devoted to the Lord, since that is your full time job. The rest of us have to earn money to survive, we aren't paid to spread the gospel!
 
Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about how deeply I desire marriage and a family of my own someday. I genuinely have such a heart for being a wife, creating a Christ-centered home, and loving and serving my future husband and family. šŸ’šŸ•Šļø

I know I’m not supposed to rush God’s timing, and I truly want to trust Him with every part of my future. But sometimes it’s hard when marriage is something I desire so deeply. I want to be able to share life with someone who loves Jesus wholeheartedly and desires to build a be✨autiful, God-honoring marriage together. 🌸

I’m praying for a husband who is kind, intentional, humble, faithful, and deeply rooted in Christ. Someone who wants to pray together, grow together, serve together, and ultimately keep Jesus at the center of everything. šŸ¤

For now, I’m trying to embrace my season of singleness, grow closer to the Lord, and become the woman He is calling me to be. I may not know when marriage will come, but I trust that God knows exactly what He’s doing. 🌷

ā€œDelight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.ā€ — Psalm 37:4

I’d love to hear from other Christian women who also have a strong desire for marriage. How do you balance wanting marriage while still trusting God’s timing? šŸ’•
In regard to God's timing - this will also require effort on your part to act decisively if a good opportunity to form a loving and enduring relationship that may lead to marriage.

Your description of the traits of a potential husband closely matches my wife.

Love the Psalm verse that you provided.

I pray that all goes will in this area for you. In the meantime, like you have said, embrace the season of singleness.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: seoulsearch
Ok that's itšŸ¤” I'm starting a Thread 'The Match Game'. Have to wait til after my Bible study but stay tuned possibly after 7 tonight I'll roll it outšŸ™šŸ˜‚
 
  • Love
Reactions: seoulsearch