A "Personal Relationship" with God is not biblical

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jennie-Mae

saying things like " when was the last time you flipped a page in the Bible " seems sarcastic to me

( no offense 7seas )

Just think maybe we could try being more loving , thats all
I agree with you, but somebody’s made a habit out of being sarcastic about other people’s Bible reading abilities.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
I would never presume to argue with any person who insists they do not have a personal relationship with God. That in itself is a personal knowing that can't be persuaded against itself by someone else.

So as to assure and inform others. KJV Bible Verses About Relationship With God
John 1:10-13 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

God is not like a bad human parent. That mortal one who has children but yet isn't in a relationship with them. More like a sire or a womb, than a caring loving empathetic relation with their child/ren. God is eternal, benevolent, and all knowing. His only son told him to tell us that we are his children when we are in Christ. Becasue we are children of God. Much like we think of the phrase, Jesus is the son of God. We too are the sons and daughters of God. That is relationship. We can talk to our father anytime we wish. We are given comfort by our father anytime we need it. We are guided by our father when we journey in this life and when we fall on the wrong path.

If we were not in relationship with our father we would live alone. And that would make a poor testimony of what it means to be in his only son, Christ Jesus, when trying to tell others about what it means to be in the body of Christ and the living truth and grace filled salvation covenant the father sent Christ to deliver through his sacrifice.

Dec 12, 2013
I guess you are not known by Him or know Him.

Everywhere I go, I take Jesus with me, because He is in me, and I in Him.

And through Him I can pray to my Father in Heaven and He hears because of my "relationship" to His Son. The curtain is torn between Him and me because of Jesus's completed work.

So I feel sorry for you for not having an intimate relationship with Christ.
Can you imagine the ignorance of saying a personal relationship with God is not biblical.....

God walked and talked with Adam and Eve....they blew it and even after God clothed them and interacted with them...JESUS RESTORED THAT FELLOWSHIP (1ST JOHN, Ephesians, The gospels, etc.)

It amazes me....how many people go to seed on some false premise such as revealed in the OP........

7seasrekeyed

I agree with you, but somebody’s made a habit out of being sarcastic about other people’s Bible reading abilities.

aww you go jennie

saw an opp to say something negative to me because I keep pointing you back to scripture with regards to your judgemental and unbiblical views on homosexualtiy?

transparent you are

J

Jennie-Mae

aww you go jennie

saw an opp to say something negative to me because I keep pointing you back to scripture with regards to your judgemental and unbiblical views on homosexualtiy?

transparent you are
I will even stay transparent if it can help you stop pointing me back to your unbiblical works based views on Christ as our savior.

7seasrekeyed

I will even stay transparent if it can help you stop pointing me back to your unbiblical works based views on Christ as our savior.
right

you referred to Romans 1 as Old Testament...Old Testament!

when I said transparent, I was referring to your untruthful statements about others

it seems you also do not know what works based salvation is, as people here know I have posted multiple times, over and over, that salvation is by faith only

jennie I don't know what your game is, but you do not seem to know much about the Bible so I don't know why you go on as you do

here's the thread wherein Jennie argues with everyone who tries to illustrate from scripture why homsexuality is not acceptable to God

do you have anything to offer regarding the op? anything you can say that contributes to the actual op?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
do we really need to be sarcastic in replying ?
maybe this person is searching , who knows
there is certainly a point to be made about neglecting to fear God because of a attitude that Jesus is our home, boy

7seasrekeyed

there is certainly a point to be made about neglecting to fear God because of a attitude that Jesus is our home, boy

well of course there is

but there is also a difference between a personal relationship that God offers and exaggerating it by saying boyfriend...which no one is saying here

U

UnderGrace

The purpose of coming to Christ is not happiness, joy, all the feel good emotions we love. It is for the forgiveness and atonement for sin.

I agree with you on this, it is for forgiveness and atonement for sin. However their is a personal individual component to this forgiveness.

"Personal relationship" I agree is a probably not how those in ancient civilizations would describe it, nonetheless the atonement does restore fellowship which one of the reasons God created us.....to fellowship with Him.:)

The result of the atonement is indeed joy and love......... God can and does impart those to us.

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
Hello HistoryPrincess, :love:

I absolutely love your post! You know why? Because you're being very real, open and honest with the cry of your heart! God hears you, and so do I!

The personal relationship we have with God is in the spirit. It is not in the natural realm. When Jesus returns to Earth in His physical body, then we will have a physical face-to-face relationship with Him, but for now - it is a spiritual personal relationship.

Just like we have 5 senses (smell, taste, touch, sight, and hear) in the natural realm, we also have the same 5 senses in the spiritual realm - this is where we communicate and commune with God.

Being saved is only the beginning - Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit and Fire. Being indwelt by the Holy Spirit is like being a cell phone that is "activated." We can now send and receive messages; however, keep in mind - like a cell phone, we've got to get plugged in and recharge or else we lose power and connection.

I shall say a prayer for you.........

Dear Heavenly Father, :love:

Thank You for HistoryPrincess. Fill her with Your Holy Spirit. There is a desire and hunger in her to know You personally. Lord Jesus, baptize her with the Holy Spirit and quicken her spiritual senses to connect with you. Forgive any and all sins with the Blood of Jesus. In the Name of Jesus, amen. :)(y)
Excellent post, Lafftur!

I do think HP has a point, and she shouldn't be getting AS MUCH pushback as she's getting.

Like I alluded to in my post upthread, we have to be careful to not go to one extreme or the other.

Feb 20, 2016
I have one verse here that suggests we can have a personal relationship with Christ:

John 15:15 "Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you." I rest my case.

View attachment 188355
The modern hymn calls Jesus a "friend" and some may appeal to a verse in John where Jesus calls his disciples "friends". But the understanding of the word is decontextualized. People of the time of the Bible did not "get to know" each other as modern persons in the West do. A "friend" meant a person who looked out for your practical interests -- not someone you had beer and watched football with.

U

UnderGrace

The modern hymn calls Jesus a "friend" and some may appeal to a verse in John where Jesus calls his disciples "friends". But the understanding of the word is decontextualized. People of the time of the Bible did not "get to know" each other as modern persons in the West do. A "friend" meant a person who looked out for your practical interests -- not someone you had beer and watched football with.
Actually as some from a Mediterranean heritage, a friend is a far deeper meaningful relationship than what is presently seen in North American society and far, far more than someone who looked after practical interests, that is actually just as superficial as the beer buddy.

Feb 20, 2016
Excellent post, Lafftur!

I do think HP has a point, and she shouldn't be getting AS MUCH pushback as she's getting.

Like I alluded to in my post upthread, we have to be careful to not go to one extreme or the other.
Actually as some from a Mediterranean heritage, a friend is a far deeper meaningful relationship than what is presently seen in North American society and far, far more than someone who looked after practical interests, that is actually just as superficial as the beer buddy.
Perhaps, but societies always change over time.

Feb 20, 2016
Excellent post, Lafftur!

I'm used to getting pushback, and I'm used to being misunderstood. That's what happens when you're on the spectrum.

I've explained what it's like before, but I'm going to say it here.

As someone on the spectrum, relationships, or at least the emotional component of them, are not an easy thing for me to grasp. My default way of thinking is logic, and while I do have emotions, I don't have the ability to instantly emotionally connect to people. I haven't had one close friend in years, and I've never been one a single date in my life. But I do have my family.

So really, the only way I've experienced love is through fulfilling obligations to my loved ones whether I'm happy doing it or not, not in that sappy, shallow, romantic way. But try living that way in the Bible Belt, where having a date is a rite of passage. Try hearing "relationship" theology that you just can't relate to every Sunday.

The only kind of relationship I really understand is that between an employer and a worker. No one likes that person who takes everything and then gives nothing in return. This however, is a mutual give-take. I do this for you, you do this for me. I work, you pay. Straight forward, black and white, clear rules, no surprises. And let's be honest, are relationships really easier than religion?

God is not a human being, so I just can't think of him as having human attributes no matter what the Bible says. And yes, I know, Jesus was a human being. But 1) He was not human like we are, and 2) That doesn't change the fact that he's not physically here right now. God alone cannot meet all my needs. We need people, food, water, etc.

And no matter how much the Bible says God loves me and says I should love him, the fact is I honestly don't think I ever really can because I will always remember that he's God and I'm not. He's my Lord and Savior, not my best buddy or my boyfriend. Believe me, I've tried relating to him in more intimate terms, and nothing worked. It felt forced and unnatural, like having an imaginary friend.

And a lot of people may not like what I'm about to say, but I don't care. For someone like me, who can spot a fake a thousand miles away, it's not "who I am" but what I DO that defines me. Anyone can say they're something or make certain claims about themselves. The issue is what do you have to back it up?

U

UnderGrace

Perhaps, but societies always change over time.
They do, however your idea that people in ancient societies like the Hellenic period for example, did not develop deep meaningful relationships (friend) is definitely not born out in ancient literature.

Feb 20, 2016
They do, however your idea that people in ancient societies like the Hellenic period for example, did not develop deep meaningful relationships (friend) is definitely not born out in ancient literature.
For one thing, marriages were about economics rather than love. They involved the whole community rather than just those two people. And arranged marriages even now tend to do better and last longer than love based marriages. What are you gonna do when that romantic high disappears?

U

UnderGrace

I'm used to getting pushback, and I'm used to being misunderstood. That's what happens when you're on the spectrum.

I've explained what it's like before, but I'm going to say it here.

As someone on the spectrum, relationships, or at least the emotional component of them, are not an easy thing for me to grasp. My default way of thinking is logic, and while I do have emotions, I don't have the ability to instantly emotionally connect to people. I haven't had one close friend in years, and I've never been one a single date in my life. But I do have my family.

So really, the only way I've experienced love is through fulfilling obligations to my loved ones whether I'm happy doing it or not, not in that sappy, shallow, romantic way. But try living that way in the Bible Belt, where having a date is a rite of passage. Try hearing "relationship" theology that you just can't relate to every Sunday.

The only kind of relationship I really understand is that between an employer and a worker. No one likes that person who takes everything and then gives nothing in return. This however, is a mutual give-take. I do this for you, you do this for me. I work, you pay. Straight forward, black and white, clear rules, no surprises. And let's be honest, are relationships really easier than religion?

God is not a human being, so I just can't think of him as having human attributes no matter what the Bible says. And yes, I know, Jesus was a human being. But 1) He was not human like we are, and 2) That doesn't change the fact that he's not physically here right now. God alone cannot meet all my needs. We need people, food, water, etc.

And no matter how much the Bible says God loves me and says I should love him, the fact is I honestly don't think I ever really can because I will always remember that he's God and I'm not. He's my Lord and Savior, not my best buddy or my boyfriend. Believe me, I've tried relating to him in more intimate terms, and nothing worked. It felt forced and unnatural, like having an imaginary friend.

And a lot of people may not like what I'm about to say, but I don't care. For someone like me, who can spot a fake a thousand miles away, it's not "who I am" but what I DO that defines me. Anyone can say they're something or make certain claims about themselves. The issue is what do you have to back it up?
I understand what you are saying to some extent, the only thing I can say is the relationship with God is not emotional it is spiritual.

I am not on the spectrum, so I can only reason from my own logic and experience, reason and the bible tell me that how your brain is wired should not be a road block for God to make His love and presence known to you on a spritual level.

U

UnderGrace

For one thing, marriages were about economics rather than love. They involved the whole community rather than just those two people. And arranged marriages even now tend to do better and last longer than love based marriages. What are you gonna do when that romantic high disappears?
God does not touch reach us through our emotions, it is spiritual.

Having said that for the human the emotions do intertwine with the spiritual side, however, what God gives is pure spiritual love, acceptance, sometimes discipline, the experience is not even close to human emotions.

L

LPT

Who was Lazarus to Jesus?