A Very Simple Question

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The only One Who obeyed all the law and destroyed its curse, death, is our Savior, Jesus.

We oby all the law in our souls (Psalm 119) and we are not held to the guilt of our sin (Psalm 32) but we are no perfect, for that work was begun within each of us when each of us named the name, Jesus...……...He alone is doing that work of perfecting us and it will not be complet until His day. Yes we may slip and sin, a lot, but we are seen as innocent by the Blood upon us.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
When people post quotes of the Holy Scriptures with the understanding by the Holy Spirit, it is alive……..I do not recommend never making reference to the scriptures with understanding by the Holy Spirit. I am simply indicating that many scholars will come our way with no idea of what they are saying because they have managed to draw a circle with textx pasted but no understanding…..you knowthem by their fruits.
Yeah? Comes with the territory, when posting in public venues, eh? ;)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah? Comes with the territory, when posting in public venues, eh? ;)
Its so frustrating when they do this. But sometimes I think they deliberatley misunderstand it and confuse it to make everyone else try and answer their questions they think they already know just so they can prove them wrong. People that debate like that are just ...I dont know the word for it...devils advocate? Playing around? Like when the sepent asks Hath God said? When trying to bait Eve.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Wonderful quotes but if you include the ten commandments as the only scripture that kills, you lack something.

You need to back this up with some other scripture J - it could be argued that the letter without the spirit is dead, but you used a specific portion "written code alone kills" of scripture to make a claim.

I gave you the context, it could be argued that you have eisegised this portion of scripture therefore you have not spoken with "understanding from the Holy Spirit" and your whole opening post should be rejected.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
It had occurred to me to expound on this subject much, but a simple question should not only say what I have to say on it but give the response too.

When we post, which is more in keeping with faith, cutting and pasting a lot of text quoted fromt he Word or simply sharing our understanding from the Holy Spirit., that living Representation of the Maker of all that is giving us understanding?

The written code alone kills, while the Spirit gives life. Must I here give you the chapter and verse of this? If so, I am not addressing you.
I say both as well.

It is important to share our thoughts with others IF we expect them to share theirs with us. That's why I won't respond with my thoughts to someone who just asks a "flaming" question, and offers no thoughts/insights of their own..........Call it flaming or pfishing or trolling.............it stinks in my opinion.

We should share our thoughts/insights and provide Scriptural support.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I say both as well.

It is important to share our thoughts with others IF we expect them to share theirs with us. That's why I won't respond with my thoughts to someone who just asks a "flaming" question, and offers no thoughts/insights of their own..........Call it flaming or pfishing or trolling.............it stinks in my opinion.

We should share our thoughts/insights and provide Scriptural support.
Almost my bedtime here, so Happy New Year P...……..

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It had occurred to me to expound on this subject much, but a simple question should not only say what I have to say on it but give the response too.

When we post, which is more in keeping with faith, cutting and pasting a lot of text quoted fromt he Word or simply sharing our understanding from the Holy Spirit., that living Representation of the Maker of all that is giving us understanding?

The written code alone kills, while the Spirit gives life. Must I here give you the chapter and verse of this? If so, I am not addressing you.
On first reading, I saw a question mark, but not a question.

Now I see it. Good grammar and punctuation make all the difference. :/

In a discussion thread, the biblical text quoted either supports or refutes a point. That point is the commentary conveying our understanding. In a thread devoted to Scripture only, there is no need for discussion so the text stands by itself.

Dec 27, 2018

Just clicking...The written code is the Law, by which no one can be justified. The Law can reveal that we are sinful and in need of a Saviour. But Jesus' words, which includes those written by the apostlea, being inspired by His Spirit, these Words are Spirit and they are LIFE

God's word kills and makes alive. The old man has to die, and you are resurrected spiritually as a New Creature, by faith through the hearing of the Word, which both cuts and quickens, kills and makes alive.

You must first die with Him to live with Him

Blessings

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Seems like the issue here is whether one is 'properly handling' God's Word. Is he just grabbing Scriptures and throwing them out willy nilly hoping they stick? or is he using Scripture with precision led by the Holy Spirit and his wealth of maturity coupled with His knowledge of Scripture?

When it comes to ...

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth. For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.
(2Co 3:6-11)

This in context is a comparison of the two Covenants ...the eternalness of the one and the temporalness of the other...the lifelessness of the one and the life empowering of the other

Mar 23, 2016

When Jesus was in the wilderness, He responded with " It is written " and then quoted Scripture upon which He relied in overcoming satan's feeble efforts to tempt Him.

For the most part, I try to include Scripture if/when I quote from Scripture so the reader can see for him/herself what is written in Scripture.

Jesus also read from Scripture when He taught in the temple. In Luke 4:16, we see that Jesus stood up when He read from Scripture and He sat down when He explained what the passage meant (Luke 4:20).

It was good enough for the Lord Jesus Christ and I will follow His example.

Oct 12, 2012
We always need to use scripture, but keep it to a minimum and just enough to make your point. When someone tries to write a book, or use A ton of scripture; it kills the thought and spirit of the debate. As things ratchet up between several people more scripture may apply.

It's the mind that reveals the thoughts in us, of our interpretation of the Holy Writ; in other words what we've been taught is manifested and laid bare for all to see, and vice versa! Everyone can see what is laid bare in others but not themselves!!!

VERY IMPORTANT this is where the mind of Christ occasionally creeps through surprising us all.😋

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Must I here give you the chapter and verse of this?
The only simple question I found is this one, and obviously in any Bible discussion, chapter and verse are necessary.

Now, to answer your question, we have this Scripture: To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [SCRIPTURE] it is because there is no light in them. (Isa 8:20)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
On first reading, I saw a question mark, but not a question.

Now I see it. Good grammar and punctuation make all the difference. :/

In a discussion thread, the biblical text quoted either supports or refutes a point. That point is the commentary conveying our understanding. In a thread devoted to Scripture only, there is no need for discussion so the text stands by itself.
Did you know that in old Hebrew, Biblical, there were no separations of words and no capital letters? Yet the educated were given to understand what they were reading. I do know how to use grammar and punctuation quite well, but the problem is with an aging keyboard and not being able to see what I touch type, it suffers according to our modern ways of puncuations and grammar. Also, yesgterday evening the responses to this thread and others in which I am have come in very fast so I have not been using my text to voice to correct for the time it consumes.
When reading what I post, just ignore all if it makes no sense because it probably makes no sense.......sometimes my fingers get off the home row alos....then it is nothing but jibberish. Happy New Year and may God bless you each day of it., and always.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When the Holy Spirit is involved, noneare, however when one or mare in a thread do not understand due to a lack of faith, and are discussing simply from their minds, verses will help, but only the Holy Spirit imparts truth, or are you able to seize all truth from our Father? No man is. It is a gift.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When Jesus was in the wilderness, He responded with " It is written " and then quoted Scripture upon which He relied in overcoming satan's feeble efforts to tempt Him.

For the most part, I try to include Scripture if/when I quote from Scripture so the reader can see for him/herself what is written in Scripture.

Jesus also read from Scripture when He taught in the temple. In Luke 4:16, we see that Jesus stood up when He read from Scripture and He sat down when He explained what the passage meant (Luke 4:20).

It was good enough for the Lord Jesus Christ and I will follow His example.

Please do not bend my words…….I do not day to never quote, but I do say share in the Holy Spirit...

Mar 23, 2016
Please do not bend my words…….I do not day to never quote, but I do say share in the Holy Spirit...
Apologies if it appeared I attempted to "bend [your] words". I only shared how I habitually post. I do the same when I share God's Word with someone. I either pull out a Bible or go to a Bible app when I speak to others about Scripture. Just a habit I've developed over the years.

Hope/pray you have a very blessed 2019 :)

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
This in context is a comparison of the two Covenants ...the eternalness of the one and the temporalness of the other...the lifelessness of the one and the life empowering of the other
When one totally ignores the scriptures in the Old Testament they fail how to see God's character built in and around the law and why it was first implemented. If you say all the law was/is temporary and outdated, you can learn nothing from it. Jesus Himself taught and quoted it as enduring truths. But one has to delight in the law before one can be led by it (Psalms 1:2). :cool:

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
of wielding a sword:

sometimes all you have to do to strike your opponent is to put the blade in the right place, and let his momentum carry himself into its point. at other times you must move it skillfully, controlling his weapon and guiding yours into its target.

i think in terms of the OP, it is the same.

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018

It seems like an interesting question...trouble is: I don't understand it.
Maybe I'm one of those to whom you're not speaking.

Could you rephrase it?
It seems like you're asking if quoting verses alone is the letter of the law.
??