Anyone read the entire Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheIndianGirl

Anyone read the entire Bible in a short period of time (like a year or two years)? How did you feel after you read the entire Bible?

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Anyone read the entire Bible in a short period of time (like a year or two years)? How did you feel after you read the entire Bible?
Like starting over again.

If you are serious about reading the entire Bible, find a close friend who will commit to reading it with you.

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
I think this picture describes how a lot of people feel when it comes to reading the Bible. It's probably accurate for some Christians too.

untitled.png

T

TheIndianGirl

I am taking a NT class in a few weeks so hope to have read the NT by this summer.

I find that I'm not understanding fully a lot of what I read, and discussion is necessary, so hopefully the class will help.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I read the Bible from the start to the end and became a Christian as i was doing so.. I do not know the exact time it took me.. Probably a year.. Sometimes i would have a big session of reading and at other times i would read a few verses, but i persisted till the end and it changes my whole world view and it changed me too..

How did i feel.. Lots of feelings but the biggest one was Peace.. Peace of Mind.. Before i read the Bible i was a person given to having bouts of depression and mild anxiety worrying a lot about things like fitting in to society and being accepted by people.. After reading the Bible my depression bouts ended and i was assured of my acceptance by my loving LORD and did not need the approval of other men.. His Word lifted me up from all that and set me free.. :D

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I have read the complete bible 4 times and currently on a 5th reading. Read a chapter or two a day depending on length or what is being covered. Usually takes 2 years. Running a little behind this time and it will probably take closer to 3 years.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Like starting over again.

If you are serious about reading the entire Bible, find a close friend who will commit to reading it with you.
That's a good idea. My wife and I read it together as part of our daily devotion.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I think this picture describes how a lot of people feel when it comes to reading the Bible. It's probably accurate for some Christians too.

View attachment 209251
It can seem daunting indeed and a lot of people are just too lazy to even start.. The best policy is to look at the Bible as a collection of 66 different books some long some short.. That way you can have the easier objective of reading one of the 4 Gospels or even a letter or two in the New Testament.. Once you think of the Bible in this way things become less daunting and more doable..:)

After reading a few of the smaller books/ letters a hunger can develop for reading the Bible ( Holy Spirit motivated hunger ) and you end up reading the big books too..

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I am taking a NT class in a few weeks so hope to have read the NT by this summer.

I find that I'm not understanding fully a lot of what I read, and discussion is necessary, so hopefully the class will help.
There are times that even though I may have read a certain passage many times a light comes on and I get a new perpective or deeper understanding.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Yes, many times. I read it cover to cover in 2019. I didn't "feel" anything, but I knew I had accomplished my goal.

Dec 30, 2019
I read the Bible 5 times. Maybe more and I actually was confused over what was most important to concentrate on and follow. Each day we need to claim a promise of God and meditate on one passage. When we read the entire Bible it is nice because then the Holy Spirit can get us thinking about a passage and we can look it up to see how that passage fits with what we are dealing with today. I read ALL of the Bible ALL of the begats. This is what has me convinced that all of the people in the Bible are real people.

Dec 30, 2019
Once I read the Bible in 3 months. I was reading up to 12 hours a day. I would usually read a whole book in a day. I under line as I read. So I know what books I had read. So I could pick an book each day that was interesting.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hi TheIndianGirl,

Reading the Bible certainly seems intimidating at first, but if you start small, and if possible, don't set any time limits, it can seem much more manageable.

It might also take time to find what works for you. I like reading cover-to-cover but others like 1-year Bibles that might skip around a bit.

I've found that I do best with a study Bible that contains extra footnotes and articles that help me understand what I'm reading, but you might like something different.

I also learn much more when I add my own color tabs and notes, writing down topics of interest on notecards, then adding relevant passages to each subject as I go along. Color also helps me remember, so I buy a big pack of colored gel pens and use those to write my notes.

I think the last time took about 5 years. I just bought a new Bible (I think this is my 7th) and am starting again this year.

However, the embarrassing thing is that I grew up in Christian schools and was taught to memorize Scripture since kindergarten, but my brain only remembers key words so have to Google the passage references every single time!

Right now I read about 2 pages at a time, so it's going to take a while, but that's ok! I personally get more out of it when I go at a slower pace, but that's just me.

You might even want to start out with a children's or teen Bible just to get started (I still shamelessly enjoy the pictures!)

Best wishes and let us know how you're doing. 🙂

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Hi Ig,
Ive read the Bible several times, not remembering exactly how many tho=). Sometimes i followed a reading guide, or i picked books and chapters to read. As i love Proverbs, for one, ive read thru it a few times w/in some years, while doing more slowly in other books=).

There are times i see material i'd like to read too, like a child's gr. 7 or 9 reading requirements (novels) at school, etc., wc i try to find time for in trickles. But having established Bible reading habit w/ note-taking and underlining or highlighting too, i am thankful and happy to hear His words more, even if not everything is clear or understandable at the time. Ah, and i also sometimes read out loud, to myself when theres no other around i could 'disturb.'

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
I have read the entire Bible. Actual Bible and electronic. I have a notebook where I write important verses according to topic. In my mobile Bible I also have notes on important verses per topic. Makes it easier to access them when I need to.

Jan 1, 2020
several times! the bible convicts you, converts you, confuses you, enlightens you, terrifies you, comforts you, encourages you, gives you peace, love, and joy, and creates the greatest trials of your life! it leaves no reader untouched! it gives you power to overcome satan and all demons! and faith to do all miracles through God's power! It is essential to read it often, to memorize it, and use it in every day life! it contains the only message that gives you life purpose and meaning! it gives the only message that give you hope for the future! and comfort in pain. It contains Gods message to mankind! and should always be revered and obeyed! It is Holy! and we learn how to be holy from its pages! It contains the answer's to the questions 'why are we here'? what is the meaning of life? what is my purpose? How do i conduct myself in a manner that pleases God, and helps men" What is love? How do we love God and each other? it gives us the secretes to eternal life in Christ! It tells us about Gods judgement, heaven, and Hell. and how to escape going to Hell when we die and go to heaven instead!
The bible is the most essential book that mankind has! there is no other book like it!

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Yeah. I felt glad. Some books, I was glad to finish and be done with, but others I just wanted to read again and again because there is too much to take it all in at once. I liked the history - lots of action, battles, fair maidens, villains etc. The law books were a little boring, but also interesting, with the customs showing us a little bit about what God is like, and true justice. Proverbs is just so wise, Song of Solomon has some great imagery, gospels are incredible - even reading Jesus' words today, its hard to understand why some don't believe. Daniel and Revelation are also really interesting prophecies.