Are you a leader?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
This been in my mind for a while now, although i wasnt sure how to put it. One time i was in a prayer mtg, and was seated across our church bulletin board, where i could read the church mission and vision, etc. Part of it said we hope to be a leader of leaders in such and such...

I know some people are just choleric and seem to command respect... but for the meek and slow, although God is working in us all, did you seriously think or consider yourself to be a leader or a would-be leader (even as a mother, child, student, etc.)? The discussion may go on to mention servant leadership, which is interesting. Please help me understand how even the poor, the weak and the foolish (in Christ) can truly be leaders in God's sight. Pertinent verses are esp. appreciated.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
All you have to do is look at many of today's politicians. Romans 13:1

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
There are leaders who are corrupt and who got their position through evil ways. There are also those who are wise and appointed by God. As for me, I can see myself as a leader and I think God is leading me to that path. I have been praying the prayer of Jabez (1 chronicles 4:10) It is to help me find God's will in my life and for protection and to enlarge my influence. My willingness and weakness + God's will and supernatural power = my expanding territory/influence.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
There are leaders who are corrupt and who got their position through evil ways. There are also those who are wise and appointed by God. As for me, I can see myself as a leader and I think God is leading me to that path. I have been praying the prayer of Jabez (1 chronicles 4:10) It is to help me find God's will in my life and for protection and to enlarge my influence. My willingness and weakness + God's will and supernatural power = my expanding territory/influence.
I believe the verse I put up says that ALL authorities are ordained of God. Do you mean that some weren't?

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Honestly, I consider myself a bond-servent for Christ, a follower of Him. I have always been a better Indian than a chief, as I tend to be meek. I def do not command respect. I do think we should give that to everyone, though, because of who we are called to be not because of others. I do want to be an ambassador for the cause of God. Do you consider yourself a leader of leaders?

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
I believe the verse I put up says that ALL authorities are ordained of God. Do you mean that some weren't?
Yes all are appointed by God even the evil ones who are greedy and who seek their own glory but God has His own plans against then so that His glory will prevail. But those righteous leaders are different. God is pleased with them so they are appointed as leaders.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
All you have to do is look at many of today's politicians. Romans 13:1
Hi Didy, just wanted to post the scriptures you referenced.....

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Romans 13:1-4 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Romans 13:1-4&version=KJV

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
The question was, “Are you a leader?”

Well, yes and no. :giggle:

Sometimes I lead because I know what to say or do.....other times, I follow because I don’t know what to say or do!! Lol! :giggle:

M

Miri

We are all leaders to some extent.

Most people have some sort of authority over another.
Parents - children
Bosses - employees
For example

Many see the word leadership and think of being in charge of crowds of people but
it’s not the case.

Men pick the top dog to be leaders, the tall, strong, rich, people who have the
gift of the gab, people who are egotistic, slightly psycho. Lol

God picks the foolish to confide the wise, the meek shall inherit the earth.
When we are weak then we are strong because we are not relying on our own
strength, but God’s. Much better to be positioned by God than by man.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Yes all are appointed by God even the evil ones who are greedy and who seek their own glory but God has His own plans against then so that His glory will prevail. But those righteous leaders are different. God is pleased with them so they are appointed as leaders.
Thank you for clarifying.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
This been in my mind for a while now, although i wasnt sure how to put it. One time i was in a prayer mtg, and was seated across our church bulletin board, where i could read the church mission and vision, etc. Part of it said we hope to be a leader of leaders in such and such...

I know some people are just choleric and seem to command respect... but for the meek and slow, although God is working in us all, did you seriously think or consider yourself to be a leader or a would-be leader (even as a mother, child, student, etc.)? The discussion may go on to mention servant leadership, which is interesting. Please help me understand how even the poor, the weak and the foolish (in Christ) can truly be leaders in God's sight. Pertinent verses are esp. appreciated.

I know of many people in my time that are "leaders" in the spirit though seemingly not so. This is where we ust learn the teaching of not to judge by appearances but with right judgment.

A very early example in my walk was a wonderful lad from a "ghetto" area where I was sharing the Word. He could not read so he had to hear the Word. I shared all I could with him and others with joy.

After a few days he came to me to tell me something. He was beaming and smiling big time. He said do you know what, Jack? I am David. Well, my first thought was he was on something other than hot coffee. Then he went on to say, "I am David, we all are, and I pick up a stone, (one of those five), and I slay Goliath with It. Goliath is Sastan and the Stone is Jesus."

I weep for gladness even now as I recall how humbling it was for me. learned to try to see our Lord everywhere because of this illiterate, beautiful child. Please pray he remained in the way, that was in 1969.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When Paul was taken prisoner in Jerusalem he had not problem in back talking to what he thought was a political authority.

When he found it was the High Priest for that year he apologized profuselydeclaring he had not been made aware that the man in authority was the High priest.

You see he obeyed the law of obedience to thoe in authority, but because it was the High Priest. He did not care if it was someone representing Caesar or Herod, for that would not be breaking th e law of Israel. I am sorry many take this the wrong way giving leave to fake authority to do das they please. This is how we wind up with Hitlers, Mussolini's and worse. This also will be the excuse for many with the anti-Christ.

The authority mentioned in the Word is in reference to our leaders in the faith………..if many prfer to use this to excuse satanic leaders, we all know where they will wind up.

Obey the authorities of God, not of men..... Do not confuse the two.

Nov 26, 2012

The short answer: look behind you. If nobody is following, you’re not a leader.

The long answer: Some people God has specifically called and ordained to influence populations. Others may just be inspired to make a difference by being led by what drives them. For the Christian this is hopefully the Holy Spirit. For the worldly man it is his “treasure”, like money, sex, power and legacy.

God has imbedded in us a system that chooses leaders both self appointed and elected. The alpha males demonstrating superiority in the various fields usually rise above their peers. These by design are leaders. Usually they recognize their own giftedness and desire to either bless or manipulate others with their influence. Christian leaders are to be shepherds, caring for the flock.

HanCris

Nov 12, 2018

I believe everyone of us is a leader, if not yet, has the potential to be a leader. It can be at work, school, home, church and community. But the best example for being a leader is Jesus Christ. As Mark 10:45 says. Jesus came to serve and not to be served. We have to put that in our heart. In leading you have to serve first, thinking about others than yourself. And I believe a good leader is a good follower. So it starts by being a good follower. Remember, big things comes from small things.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Thanks to all who read and responded. When Israel was told to be the head and not the tail, it meant they were to lead, right? I hear and read abt people not really thinking or dreaming of leading, but when God called, how could they not obey? From Moses, Isaiah, Jeremiah.. and Paul was not eloquent either, just as a few i hear abt on radio. When we're commanded to go to all the world and make disciples... and we teach and train another, discipling is also abt leading, is it not? As some here have said, even mothers have that leadership role which is not always obvious, but is there.

I wish i could reply individually to more here, but will find time, hopefully later. To han, yes, Jesus is our best example of a leader to follow. I hope He really is that leader we follow today.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I guess we all. or at least most of us, take a turn at being a leader, in however great or little a capacity that might be.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks to all who read and responded. When Israel was told to be the head and not the tail, it meant they were to lead, right? I hear and read abt people not really thinking or dreaming of leading, but when God called, how could they not obey? From Moses, Isaiah, Jeremiah.. and Paul was not eloquent either, just as a few i hear abt on radio. When we're commanded to go to all the world and make disciples... and we teach and train another, discipling is also abt leading, is it not? As some here have said, even mothers have that leadership role which is not always obvious, but is there.

I wish i could reply individually to more here, but will find time, hopefully later. To han, yes, Jesus is our best example of a leader to follow. I hope He really is that leader we follow today.
You say "even mothers!" I say especially mothers and fathers. I have seen such holy women in my time but one has been on my mind these past few days, the mother of one of my friends in while I was in high school. I was not yet a full believer not having received the Holy Spirit. This woman not only gave her son wisdom but guided all of us who came by in Jesus Christ. At the time I thought, wow, poor Davidd, his mom is so strict. Oh to have all women to be a little like this woman, Mrs. Marcel. The entire world would be a much better abode,but this was not yet to be. Tha time will come. All love in Yeshua, Jesus....j

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
You say "even mothers!" I say especially mothers and fathers. I have seen such holy women in my time but one has been on my mind these past few days, the mother of one of my friends in while I was in high school. I was not yet a full believer not having received the Holy Spirit. This woman not only gave her son wisdom but guided all of us who came by in Jesus Christ. At the time I thought, wow, poor Davidd, his mom is so strict. Oh to have all women to be a little like this woman, Mrs. Marcel. The entire world would be a much better abode,but this was not yet to be. Tha time will come. All love in Yeshua, Jesus....j
Years ago, before I was a believer, I met a woman who was so full of the love of Jesus that I could actually see the glowing light radiating from her. Her name was Gloria, a former prostitute/heroin addict/murderer. I'd say she had such an impact on me that she led me to Christ.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Years ago, before I was a believer, I met a woman who was so full of the love of Jesus that I could actually see the glowing light radiating from her. Her name was Gloria, a former prostitute/heroin addict/murderer. I'd say she had such an impact on me that she led me to Christ.
It seems these people are sent to us to demonstrate Christ lives and IS always. What a wonderful testimony. All blessing j.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Jesus is my Leader..

I would not say i am a good follower,,, But good or bad follower Jesus is still my King of Kings..

When it comes to other people i don't seek to be a leader and i rarely see any human Being worthy to follow..

That is probably way i ended up single.. Most people either was to lead in a relationship or follow..