ArtsieSteph's dad's cancer superthread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
He is doing the new stuff right now and I'm a little not sure how to react

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Usually when I get gassy, it means I have to poop.. lol

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
So far so good. Sadly though at this point I have literally no idea what to expect about his side effects, pain, nausea , anything at all.

P

pottersclay

Steph, just to let you know I read your thread everyday. I'm here if ya need me and it goes without saying you and yours are always in my thoughts and prayers.
I have not responded to anything lately because I'm waiting on direction from the Lord but am anticipating a great work from his hand.
Please let your dad know the saints are in one Accord here and we are before the throne often on his behalf.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I deeply appreciate it. The more prayer the better. I am literally so nervous for him I can't stop moving/fiddling with my phone

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Dad woke up this morning and he says he actually feels pretty great. His body was more wore out from all the premeds, Benadryl, etc. He said he actually woke up and did the treadmill which is crazy. He doesn't have the pump anymore either just the one infusion.

So far pretty amazing!! Thank God! There is a possibility of more side effects over the first week but we'll be watching him closely.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
You just gotta remember, Steph, that it always gets worse before it gets better. And daddy's already gone through the worst, so it can only get better from here. :)

Also, I view the unpleasantness of illness, as weakness leaving my body. :) Like when I had sciatica in my left leg, and I was on steroids to reduce the swelling, every day my leg felt like it was in a vise, getting squeezed and released, over and over. Every day it did that, going down my leg one spot at a time until my back stopped herniating and the sciatica went away.. :)

So don't look at daddy's symptoms, as him getting worse with the cancer. Look at it as, it's the weakness of cancer leaving his body.. And tell daddy to look at it that way too. :)

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Daddy keeps having faith battles. He finds himself briefly questions Gods existence, is there a heaven, etc etc. He knows He's saved but he has doubts and the fact he has those doubts and unbelief he is seeming to slowly drain in spiritual strength.

We go over the same thing and I find myself becoming frustrated because He knows and then doubts and I just...I don't know what to do. I'm scared for him and he's scared.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
God has been good and used my mental situations to help with daddy. If I hadn't gotten the problems that I had, and maybe Dad has the exact same one to a lesser degree, I would have no idea how to help him handle it.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Daddy keeps having faith battles. He finds himself briefly questions Gods existence, is there a heaven, etc etc. He knows He's saved but he has doubts and the fact he has those doubts and unbelief he is seeming to slowly drain in spiritual strength.

We go over the same thing and I find myself becoming frustrated because He knows and then doubts and I just...I don't know what to do. I'm scared for him and he's scared.
one of our daughters struggled with this. all you can do is (as patiently as you can) keep bringing him Scripture to remind him of God's love and faithfulness. we found that in doing that, gradually our daughter became more calm because that Word is alive!

of course he's going to question, right? what a battle you're all undergoing. i think it's marvelous you can see God working ALL things together for good. :)

you're truly one of my heroes, Steph. i read every post, and i pray. ♥

Z

Zi

Time to cast down imaginations and everything that exalts itself above His word.

It is written God created the heavens and the earth, so yes heaven exists. Etc

When thoughts linger, we can get into these troubles. The enemy will bring thoughts. Not all of what he's thinking came from him(dad)

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
That makes sense. And thank you all! He had a very very bad night last night with panic attacks and his fears. He says he gets this feeling of fear just sitting on his chest. And then his biggest thing is "Why an I thinking all this?" I don't know what to tell him because I had the same problem and had to take medication to get rid of it or at least lessen it. I just keep praying with him.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
hey, just a thought... i got this set of CDs for my grandchildren, and liked them so much i have a set in my car, now.

here's a link to one on Amazon. it might be helpful, the songs are based on the Word of God and this particular volume has songs like "take no thought for tomorrow" (addressing worry), "peace, be still" (fears and panic), "let not your heart be troubled" (distress and anxiety), and more.

you can play them on you tube, i believe, or i would be honored to mail you a set, if you think it would help.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Yeah he has been listening to nothing but like praise music, watching sermons, listening to the Bible when he isn't working. It's just so hard...I feel like I'm gonna lose it myself emotionally because I feel so helpless.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Steph, please have him read my cancer thread.. :)

Yeah he has been listening to nothing but like praise music, watching sermons, listening to the Bible when he isn't working. It's just so hard...I feel like I'm gonna lose it myself emotionally because I feel so helpless.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Daddy is having a hard time. Last night he thought he was falling away from God because he felt doubt and fear and wasn't sure he believed in God despite praying and trusting in God and expect ect.

Just like I had in like 2012. I had to had medicine, and right now Dad has decided to take medicine for anxiety to help. His brain chemistry is being attacked and changed, and I keep telling him that. It's like "no but this situation is different" just like I had.

I truly think I went through my issues to help daddy. I thank God for that. That it wasn't for no reason as I sometimes thought.

D

Depleted

When John went through chemo, they gave him an antidepressant as standard treatment. It calmed him down.

All these years later, he's taking one again. The doctor says it's to help give him back feeling in his pinkies and ring fingers, but the time has already past that that will ever happen. (It's improved, but never going to go back to normal.) He calls them his anti-rage med.

Something literally does happen to the brain when on chemo. Whatever it is, it is helped by Milk Thistle too. (You can find Milk Thistle along with other supplements in the vitamin section of your store.) We would have done that while John was on chemo too, but money was too tight back then. (We were on Welfare, living on $839 a month, and got the foreclosure on the house during that time. THAT tight. Not saying Milk Thistle is ridiculously expensive. It really isn't.)

And you'd be surprised how much fathers pick up from watching their little girls live their lives. Dad would never have remarried if he didn't truly believe it was okay for me to marry an older man. (The woman he wanted to marry is John's age. lol) So, yes! No doubt, God had you going through your thing, in part, so it proved to your dad that it is okay now. Fathers learn a lot from their little girls, even when their little girls aren't little anymore. :)

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
He went through a HUGE battle today and can't sleep, and is having such great anxiety. Now I am so spent mentally and emotionally that I can't slee either and I feel sick. I don't know what to do or how to help him. It just comes in huge waves.