ArtsieSteph's dad's cancer superthread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Could he try sleeping with a noise machine? Or a fan? I have my fan on all night, the sound helps me sleep. Also, there are several online sites that have free nature sounds (ocean waves, rain, etc) that you could put on for him to listen to..

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I don’t know, I tried suggesting sounds of like the ocean but he just immediately shot them down. Not sure why.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
We got dad 5-HTP as well as some vitamins, and he used his melatonin with lorazepam and the HTP and he said he slept on and off. Praise God.

interesting thing is when he was awake a little he said he prayed and was like ok Lord we gotta discuss this fear and doubt. And he said to God “we’re gonna the fear in this pillow while I sleep.” And he said when he prayed that he didn’t feel the panic and he slept. Then he did some reaffirming prayers of faith and felt the fear again (because he’s human) and I thought that was weird. But God works in weird ways sometimes.

D

Depleted

We got dad 5-HTP as well as some vitamins, and he used his melatonin with lorazepam and the HTP and he said he slept on and off. Praise God.

interesting thing is when he was awake a little he said he prayed and was like ok Lord we gotta discuss this fear and doubt. And he said to God “we’re gonna the fear in this pillow while I sleep.” And he said when he prayed that he didn’t feel the panic and he slept. Then he did some reaffirming prayers of faith and felt the fear again (because he’s human) and I thought that was weird. But God works in weird ways sometimes.
That's not weird. That's human.

We're forever giving something to the Lord, then taking it back, then giving it again, then taking it back, until the taking it back gets to exhausting. Basically, we like being in control, until we realize we have a lousy mastering of control, and ultimately realizing the Lord is the Control all along.

Holy cow! That means... your dad is human! And that he keeps giving it back to the Lord means the other thing too... he's saved. Whew!

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Hehehe indeed I keep having him ask me things like “Oh I been thinking ____ and ____” and I keeping going “Uh huh, like a human.” He, like myself when I had problems, keeps thinking this is not normal for a Christian person. And I keep telling him I did, and God has kept me from jumping off the ‘what if I’m not a Christian anymore’ train so many times.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
General update, dad is on his second round of this new chemo and has found himself getting a little bit weaker than he was before. Other than that it’s been pretty good. This chemo is weird and tends to affect him more in his head then it does anywhere else, and the weird thing is is that he ends up being able to work the next day after he has a day to rest so it’s kind of crazy.

P

pottersclay

Na na na naaaa na your dad's a chemo head. Just kidding sis. Believe it or not that's good news. It means it's working properly especially if it's in second round. As it was explained to me if side effects happen to soon it means the body immune system is weak or exhausted. Too late means the immune system is fighting off the chemo. A gradually thing means that they are working together as best as they can.
The Lord's got this sis and what ever the out come he's in control. How he chooses to work is beyond our understanding but little is much when God is in it.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Oh man I was terrified today. He had his first reaction to it, meaning where he started to get flushed, feverish, horrible back cramps, and swelling in the face to possible anaphylaxis. They went around him very quickly and helped him with benedryl and Pepcid. I told my mom about it and she’s like “IM ON MY WAY NOW.” This is like 20 minutes after I told her he’s fine.

D

Depleted

Oh man I was terrified today. He had his first reaction to it, meaning where he started to get flushed, feverish, horrible back cramps, and swelling in the face to possible anaphylaxis. They went around him very quickly and helped him with benedryl and Pepcid. I told my mom about it and she’s like “IM ON MY WAY NOW.” This is like 20 minutes after I told her he’s fine.
How is that terrible?

Daughter worries so calls Mom. Mom already worried, cuz that's hubby. Wifey must see hubby NOW! Seems perfectly normal to me.

Sure, hubby says something-something 'bout hovering, but, yeah! So what? I hover! If he'd go off and not do anything that worries me, I won't hover.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
No yeah I was very happy mama came. Sadly something has happened today. Dad was not feeling well, feeling full. That is a big marker that food is having a harder time getting down his stomach, meaning his tumor may be getting bigger. This is obviously a concern and we may need to just abandon this current line of therapy and go straight to the immune therapy. I’m scared.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Today daddy stayed home, feeling full again. Bad sign. Both of us are very scared.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Ok so we went to the doctor and there is a possibility that there is a blockage not from the tumor getting bigger -which is still a possibility- but from scar tissue that has been caused by the tumor shrinking. He may have to get a feeding tube in his nose and I just am so terrified of what we need to do to help him.

D

Depleted

Ok so we went to the doctor and there is a possibility that there is a blockage not from the tumor getting bigger -which is still a possibility- but from scar tissue that has been caused by the tumor shrinking. He may have to get a feeding tube in his nose and I just am so terrified of what we need to do to help him.
Assuming he's still moving -- getting up, walking around, for all those many reasons people do that, might I make a suggestion? Have doctor explain why tube-in-stomach isn't a better idea than tube-in-nose. Seriously, either way stinks, because you can't eat, (but he can't eat anyway), but the problem with nose-tube is just moving your head tickles in a sneezy kind of way. And he will feel it every time he turns his head, neck, and stomach. Sometimes you can feel the stomach one too, but only when moving the stomach. You're more likely to move the head than the stomach. And usually, hubby only felt it in his stomach when he was being fed.

There really are reasons to go with nose over directly into the stomach, but ask. Because I distinctly felt like sneezing the entire time it was in there, and feared every time I did sneeze.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Yeah it’s gonna have to be asap. Like Monday they’re gonna go to the cancer center and figure out what he needs to do. He’s starting to feel like he’s gonna vomit, which is symptomatic of a blockage. Whether it’s tumor or scar tissue or whatever, he’s gonna have to have some kind of assistance.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Yeah it’s gonna have to be asap. Like Monday they’re gonna go to the cancer center and figure out what he needs to do. He’s starting to feel like he’s gonna vomit, which is symptomatic of a blockage. Whether it’s tumor or scar tissue or whatever, he’s gonna have to have some kind of assistance.
is it safe to wait till Monday?

love, a chronic worrier :eek:

D

Depleted

is it safe to wait till Monday?

love, a chronic worrier :eek:
Me too, considering I was thinking the same thing. If his stomach is blocked for two (four? Longer?) days what's that do to him?

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
So far he seems to be ok, he has been eating every hour and a half, with soft foods and ensures. They don't tend to have appointments on the weekends so....

notmyown

May 26, 2016
So far he seems to be ok, he has been eating every hour and a half, with soft foods and ensures. They don't tend to have appointments on the weekends so....
Steph, how kind of you to let us know this! thank God!

what's with doctors and weekend appointments?
like, don't they know people get sick on weekends and holidays, too? :rolleyes:

still praying for you all.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
The cancer center is weird. They are open on the weekends for sure, they take things out if people need to, but they don’t have infusions or appointments and I don’t even know if the cafeteria is open either. Today daddy is going to church so that will help him.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I've heard good things about Cancer Treatment Centers of America.

Has anyone here had any dealings with them?