BAPTISM

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The KJV Bible instructs method of baptism;

1611 edition KJV Matthew 28:19..... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:.
Why is there a question about who should be referred too when baptizing?
Only to try and establish doubt...by the new age religion type..
When a person is baptized in the name of Jesus, it is tantamount to theFather, the S"on and dthe Holy Spirit. It is taught in Isaiah 9:6.. There is no mistaking this is true. I read the KJV always, however I have read many versions of the Word, and they all concur.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I find it ironic that here we are debating the words that should be said when someone gets baptized. Maybe we should stop debating words and start baptizing.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
The KJV Bible instructs method of baptism;

1611 edition KJV Matthew 28:19..... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:.
Why is there a question about who should be referred too when baptizing?
Only to try and establish doubt...by the new age religion type..
“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

They did baptize in the name of father , son and Holy Ghost

“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:38‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭19:5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭8:12‬ ‭

“For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

There is one name it’s Jesus name in his is father son and Holy Ghost, father son or Holy Ghost arent names , Jesus is the name. Of father son And Holy Ghost together in one.

I and my Father are one.”
‭‭John‬ ‭10:30‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭3:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:27‬ ‭

“Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

They were told to baptize in the name of
Father son Holy Ghost , they are one and the name is Jesus it isn’t new age it’s just. What they did in the beginning notice there are no verses where anyone was baptized in three titles of God but always in his one name

“For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:1‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“but these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.”
‭‭John‬ ‭20:31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus made his name known was the point. Baptism is meant to be in the. Name of Jesus because it’s the name of God the father , son and Holy Ghost.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I find it ironic that here we are debating the words that should be said when someone gets baptized. Maybe we should stop debating words and start baptizing.
have you ever noticed how very important the name of Jesus is in scripture though? Not really something we should see as irrelevant

LoveBrokeThru

Mar 17, 2022
Biblically how many times should someone be baptized after being a believer?
Being born again is when your spirit is re-birthed by the spirit of God, INTO the Spirit of God, ... becoming "one with God".. "In Christ".
God causes this, and this is the "washing of regeneration" that is the spiritual baptism.
When this has happened, you are born again.

NOW... ... next...go and get water baptized, as this is your self identification as := "the old man is crucified with Christ" and the new man, born again spiritually, is risen with Christ.

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
When a person is baptized in the name of Jesus, it is tantamount to theFather, the S"on and dthe Holy Spirit. It is taught in Isaiah 9:6.. There is no mistaking this is true. I read the KJV always, however I have read many versions of the Word, and they all concur.
And you are missing the point also. A name may be tantamount to what ever you are saying.... but that does not equate to Isaiah 9:6 "He shall be called"

If you read what Jesus supposedly said in Matthew it is a direct command based on the following verse.
Matt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Going back to the original point that this was being addressed (starting with Chi-town in #30) ....Why did the apostles not follow the formula or words that Jesus instructed them to do? that is the question. ....They followed His instructions from Acts 1:4 ....commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

It's not a question on anything other than that.
And like I stated other than what Eusebius quoted to Constantine.... I did not find anything contradictory to what is written although I tend to believe that originally it stated in my name and not….. the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit ….but that is because..... that is what the Apostles baptism in.

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
Being part of the discussion where this somewhat derailed the OP's intent ...I apologize.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Being born again is when your spirit is re-birthed by the spirit of God, INTO the Spirit of God, ... becoming "one with God".. "In Christ".
God causes this, and this is the "washing of regeneration" that is the spiritual baptism.
When this has happened, you are born again.

NOW... ... next...go and get water baptized, as this is your self identification as := "the old man is crucified with Christ" and the new man, born again spiritually, is risen with Christ.
“Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭18:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“for this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭26:28‬ ‭KJV‬‬

To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭10:43‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,

and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:38‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? ( for our sins )

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: (the souls that sinned have died )

that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:3-4, 6

“For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins,

should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭2:24-25

“I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one.”
‭‭John‬ ‭10:15-16, 27-30‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“if so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: that ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

and be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:21-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Being part of the discussion where this somewhat derailed the OP's intent ...I apologize.
it’s hard to remain in a box when comments start to open things up , but also I apologize if I get off track to the op.

it seems discussion leads to more and differing lines of thinking I rarely ever seen a post here that remains specifically on topic of they do it’s about three comments long.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
I have a question about that verse which has puzzled me for some time. I have researched it to the best of my abilities, but I am not like some of these people who are fairly in-depth when it comes to research.

I found something from: oh man, if I could remember his name, it’s been a couple years, something like Ellubies (spelling?) back in the 4th century where he quoted the verse Mat 28:19 but he didn’t have - in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: It seems like I may have found that on google.

The whole reason I did research on it (if you want to call it research) Is because I couldn’t find anyplace in the gospels or in the epistles that the apostles baptized that way, using - in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

I know Catholic religion does that, or used to, and maybe others do also, but can you find it anyplace that the apostles did that?

Do you or anybody else know why that is. It seems if Jesus Asked them to do that it should be very important.

I don’t know what this has to do with water, It just caught my attention and I would love an answer on it.
The phrase "in the name of" simply means by the authority of. So, when the Apostles did baptized " in the name of" Christ, they were claiming by the authority of Christ that specifically says baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost and that nothing contradicts at all.

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
The phrase "in the name of" simply means by the authority of. So, when the Apostles did baptized " in the name of" Christ, they were claiming by the authority of Christ that specifically says baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost and that nothing contradicts at all.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
So, that is like saying "by the authority of the Father, and by the authority of the Son, and by the authority of the Holy Ghost"...???

Or, by the authority of [all three]...???

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
And you are missing the point also. A name may be tantamount to what ever you are saying.... but that does not equate to Isaiah 9:6 "He shall be called"

If you read what Jesus supposedly said in Matthew it is a direct command based on the following verse.
Matt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Going back to the original point that this was being addressed (starting with Chi-town in #30) ....Why did the apostles not follow the formula or words that Jesus instructed them to do? that is the question. ....They followed His instructions from Acts 1:4 ....commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

It's not a question on anything other than that.
And like I stated other than what Eusebius quoted to Constantine.... I did not find anything contradictory to what is written although I tend to believe that originally it stated in my name and not….. the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit ….but that is because..... that is what the Apostles baptism in.
I stand on the Word as given in the Bible.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Biblically how many times should someone be baptized after being a believer?
By immersion, once.

And this a response to already been converted.. not the means of conversion. A symbol of what Christ does for the believer. The immersion.. symbolising the burial.. the coming out of the water.. symbolising the resurrection of Jesus.

As to Holy Spirit baptism.. this happened to already saved GROUPS of believers in Acts.. and wasn't about receiving eternal salvation. At Pentecost the disciples got this baptism, who were already converted believers. And they were not individuals alone.. but as an assembled group.

Think about the difference between the Holy Spirit indwelling a believer.. coming 'upon' a believer and being 'in the midst' of a church.

Different things... not all roles to do with eternal salvation.. except the first of indwelling.

So.. immersion baptism.. that is after salvation and done once. Holy Spirit baptism? Happened to groups, churches.

Oh.. if the baptism is done without the right authority on the part of the person baptising.. and is not immersion.. then it need to be done again.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Anyone who was baptized as an infant should disregard that. Believers are to be baptized only once, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. And since water baptism is symbolic of death, burial, and resurrection, it must be by immersion.
What is the name? Father, Son and Holy Ghost are not a name, they are titles. According to scripture everyone is to be baptized in water in the name of Jesus.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
" Only the first baptism, into Christ, is involuntary. We must choose Spirit and Water baptism." -- Gideon
This is not according to Scripture. Spirit baptism is supernatural and the issue of choosing it does not arise. Those who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Spirit baptism). As to water baptism, that is A COMMAND (not an option). So the issue of choosing it also does not apply.
Not according to Paul in Acts 19:1, "Have you received the Holy Ghost SINCE you believed?" Clearly Paul's question makes the point that believing does not automatically result in receiving the Holy Ghost. The entire experience recorded in Acts 19:1-6 provides further confirmation of this truth. The group believed in Jesus, were rebaptized in water in the name of the Lord Jesus and afterward received the gift of the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues and prophesied.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What a shameful misrepresentation of Scripture!

Here are verse 5-6 WITH the words you conveniently left out:

"And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."