Basic bible study -

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Reading the the bible and studying the bible are two different things. We read for pleasure, we study for knowledge. Every student of the bible should have a 1. Translation of the Bible (not a paraphrase version)
2. Strong's Concordance
3. Dictionary
I use the Hermeneutic method, asking the who what when where why questions
Should also acquire at least some knowledge of customs and history of the times the bible was written
Rule to follow always, NEVER take a verse out of context. Context often determines the meaning of a word or words.
Scripture out of context is PRETEXT. Scripture picking is for the spiritually disabled.

Study to be approved as a workman who is able to handle accurately the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I agree with some of this. But Strong’s is a backwards translation of KJV English.

Better to use a proper lexicon, although you do need to learn to use the Greek alphabet for Bauer, BDAG, or Hebrew for Brien-Driver-Briggs.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
If you want to spend so much time studying the Bible, then the question is why not to learn Greek to read it in original language instead of tuns of dictionaries.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I agree with some of this. But Strong’s is a backwards translation of KJV English.

Better to use a proper lexicon, although you do need to learn to use the Greek alphabet for Bauer, BDAG, or Hebrew for Brien-Driver-Briggs.
Yes, I also balked somewhat when I saw Strong's as some kind of authoritative source….there is no source for truth outside of the Word guided by the Holy Spirit.

Reading the Word in Hebrew I discovered for myself just how lacking Strong's is…….at times completely misleading..

No one may approach learning God's truth as some kind of intellectual…...prayer and meditation are the only true tools when in the process of reading to learn...…..God reveals, not flesh.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
There are two Threads with different Titles, but same subject matter.........for whatever reason

(so I'm going to post this here as well as on the other Thread)

I understand all of this, and see the value.............BUT, it sure seems as if a person could get so involved in outside sources that they completely forget that the Holy Bible is the inspired Word of God.

The Holy Spirit (in my unlearned opinion) is the absolute BEST Reference Guide/Translator there ever was, is, or ever will be,

Gods Holy Word can touch the dullest wit and soften the hardest heart...........and It does not require commentary, translations or any such to do so.

Now, I'm not knocking folks who enjoy all of this, BUT, let us NOT say a person can not learn, grow, mature and reach full understanding of the Word of God THRU reading the Word of God itself.

No Commentary, Translation, or any such will EVER replace the Indwelling Presence of the Holy Spirit for revealing the Truth of the Word! now........that's just me I suspect

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Reading the OP's of both Threads, I kinda get the idea that there may be a wee bit of someone wanting to rely on their wisdom rather than on God/Holy Spirit.........

dunno, will see how it plays out............

That "iron sharpening iron" thingy is ok, but it can become far more destructive to Christian Fellowship than edifying Christian Fellowship if one is not careful

This IS NOT a Gladiator Ring........even though it may sometimes resemble one more than it does a Christian Fellowship Website

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Yes, I also balked somewhat when I saw Strong's as some kind of authoritative source….
Strong's is simply an excellent Bible concordance and dictionary. It has established itself firmly as a reliable source to clarify the meaning of words. That does not mean that other Bible study tools such as lexicons or expository dictionaries should not be used.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My comment on Strong's is from a half century making reference to it on occasion, however what I posted is true.

Now, my friend, if you are following this thread andJesus, you will see the Authority for understanding the Truth from God is uniquely from the Holy Spisrit, albeit God may use something that is not to bring down something whichis...…….He used an asss one time a long time ago.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Brother Jamue...........IF you were speaking to me in the above comment........I was not referring to you in it......

After posting that comment...... #6 (above), I signed out/off. I did some serious praying, because I was having some serious misgivings about this Thread and it's Sister Thread.......

Something is not right here...........and I am only commenting now because I saw your comment above. I did not want you to think I was referring to you.......Something is not right here.........and I will not be commenting on either of these Threads after posting this message for you.

God bless

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
Reading the the bible and studying the bible are two different things. We read for pleasure, we study for knowledge. Every student of the bible should have a 1. Translation of the Bible (not a paraphrase version)
2. Strong's Concordance
3. Dictionary
I use the Hermeneutic method, asking the who what when where why questions
Should also acquire at least some knowledge of customs and history of the times the bible was written
Rule to follow always, NEVER take a verse out of context. Context often determines the meaning of a word or words.
Scripture out of context is PRETEXT. Scripture picking is for the spiritually disabled.

Study to be approved as a workman who is able to handle accurately the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15
Those are good points. I've used Strong's Concordance for decades and it's been invaluable to me. Another good tool is Treasury of Scripture Knowledge - a cross reference work.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Brother Jamue...........IF you were speaking to me in the above comment........I was not referring to you in it......

After posting that comment...... #6 (above), I signed out/off. I did some serious praying, because I was having some serious misgivings about this Thread and it's Sister Thread.......

Something is not right here...........and I am only commenting now because I saw your comment above. I did not want you to think I was referring to you.......Something is not right here.........and I will not be commenting on either of these Threads after posting this message for you.

God bless

Not at all. Had you any thought that way about me, it is certain you would have let me know long ago..God bless you.…...I understood you to a t.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
JohnRh, so far you are the ONLY one to get this. Sure does sort the sheep from the goats, doesn't it??

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
JohnRh, so far you are the ONLY one to get this. Sure does sort the sheep from the goats, doesn't it??
It's helpful of you to reveal your heart's condition so plainly in your first few days on this site.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Strong's is simply an excellent Bible concordance and dictionary. It has established itself firmly as a reliable source to clarify the meaning of words. That does not mean that other Bible study tools such as lexicons or expository dictionaries should not be used.
Strong's is useful because it is exhaustive, and several other reference works are keyed to it. If you read the KJV regularly, then having Strong's as your concordance makes good sense. If you read the NIV, then Goodrick and Kohlenberger is the one to have, and Strong's is of little use. Other well-established translations have their own exhaustive concordances. If you use online tools or Bible software, then you don't need a physical concordance; sites like BibleGateway and BibleHub provide search and cross-reference capabilities that far eclipse Strong's.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
It makes little sense to disagree over which references we use, I would prefer to see some STUDY and using those tools for iron to sharpen iron. I never learned anything from pew sitters except that I needed more bible study, but I grew in grace and understanding when my brothers and sisters in Christ came beside me to show me what they had learned, to encourage me to go further. True understanding brings true humility and a grateful heart.

But I do disagree that anything out-eclipses Strong's. Most "helps" are what other men have decided the words mean and like bible studies they reflect pre-digested views looking for pre-digested answers.

Bible Gateway I have used along with Internet searches for information on a subject. All good sources. Use whatever is good, toss out the rest.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Yes, I also balked somewhat when I saw Strong's as some kind of authoritative source….there is no source for truth outside of the Word guided by the Holy Spirit.
Yes JaumeJ, the Holy Spirit is our only authoritative source. No tool is perfect including bible translations. The Spirit of Truth will lead us if we are listening. God's word defines God's character; which in turn defines the word properly. :cool:

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Yes JaumeJ, the Holy Spirit is our only authoritative source. No tool is perfect including bible translations. The Spirit of Truth will lead us if we are listening. God's word defines God's character; which in turn defines the word properly. :cool:
For myself I haave read the Word in many languages, again for myself. It is always a blessing, yet all that is important for me and for others for salvation came to mewith the entering of the Holy Spirit into my being, heart, soul and mind.

Now I read, but I rely on the Holy Spirit and the Word in the many varied forms allowed by our Father...Al blessings in Jesus Christ aways. j

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
But I do disagree that anything out-eclipses Strong's. Most "helps" are what other men have decided the words mean and like bible studies they reflect pre-digested views looking for pre-digested answers.
When Strong's allows you to do multi-word concordance searches, provides instant comparisons with 40+ other translations, and links automatically to the original-language text(s) behind the translation, then I might consider that it has not been eclipsed. Technology has enabled several tools that Strong's doesn't provide.

Regarding your other comment, such generalized criticism is no different than slander.