Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

Yes, the Ten Commandments hang on the law and they are still in force and need to be obeyed. (Some say they have been cancelled.) But look at them, apart from the 4th, they are all about NOT harming people, and about honouring God and parents. If you apply the law of love or even replace love with respect then we are not going to do any of those things are we.

1. I am the Lord thy God, thou shall not have any gods before me.
  2. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything.
  3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
  5. Honor your father and your mother.
  6. You shall not murder.
  7. You shall not commit adultery.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
  10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house, wife, or property.

And you have not kept all ten, You can not keep all ten, and you will not keep all ten.

If you think you have, are or will. Then as John said, if we say we have no sin we decieve ourselves, and there is no truth in us.

E

eternally-gratefull

One is in our understanding, the other is in our actions.

Living the life, comes from our understanding of the law, and it is our understanding that leads us to walk in paths of righteousness.

So, turning to James, works are the result of faith. First comes the knowledge or the faith and the evidence of that faith that is born of knowledge, can be seen in our works.

Heart first, and works follow, so yes, you are right.
You want to walk and live a righteous life, do as paul and Jesus said,

1. seek after the things of the spirit, and you will not fulfill th elust of the flesh.
2. Love the Lord your God will all your heart mind and soul and your neighbor (including your enemy) as yourself. (In these two commands hang ALL the law and prophets.

If you try to live a moral life by following law. You will utterly fail, because that is not why the law was given,

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Yes. They are blotted out. God looks at the person who believes in Christ and sees no outstanding debt of law concerning a literal Sabbath. Sabbath rest is fulfilled in the reality that the type only represented. That reality being Christ.

When a person believes in Christ and walks according to the fruit of the Spirit, God sees the requirement for Sabbath rest fulfilled and satisfied in that person. So there's no reason or purpose for the believer to HAVE to keep the literal stipulations of the Sabbath laws. But more importantly, in the context of Colossians 2, there is no outstanding debt to fulfill anymore concerning RABBINICAL law regarding Sabbath laws. The slavery of the Rabbi's inane judgments is no longer binding on the people of God (remember, by law you HAD to follow them-Deuteronomy 17:10).

Since the literal requirements of the Sabbath itself have been set aside as not needed anymore (that is, not needed to draw near to God now that we are already brought near through the new way of faith in Christ) the rabbinical judgments that drew their strength and authority from the Sabbath law are now rendered impotent and non-binding and are even made a spectacle of.

That is the point of Colossians 2. You can tell Rabbi so and so to talk to the hand when he tries to judge you in how to keep a literal Mosaic Sabbath rest because now even the Sabbath law itself is obsolete (not needed). Paul says they were useless at changing you anyway. They had much ado about carnal things of the world and nothing to do with heavenly things.
amen, simply come to Jesus, He give the real sabbath.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
amen, simply come to Jesus, He give the real sabbath.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

This rest has notig to do with a Sabbath but with learning from Jesus directly.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Mat 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
Mat 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
Mat 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

PS

Jan 11, 2013

And you have not kept all ten, You can not keep all ten, and you will not keep all ten.

If you think you have, are or will. Then as John said, if we say we have no sin we decieve ourselves, and there is no truth in us.
You could stay in bed and keep all ten commandments, including the fourth. :D

PS

Jan 11, 2013
You want to walk and live a righteous life, do as paul and Jesus said,

1. seek after the things of the spirit, and you will not fulfill th elust of the flesh.
2. Love the Lord your God will all your heart mind and soul and your neighbor (including your enemy) as yourself. (In these two commands hang ALL the law and prophets.
That is what I, and in fact every Christian I know does.

Just to add, faith itself is of the spirit.

If you try to live a moral life by following law. You will utterly fail, because that is not why the law was given,
True.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
You could stay in bed and break them all, too :rolleyes:
Yes!

Jesus shows us that all of them are judged in the heart, rather than in the outward action. If you hate, you are guilty of murder, no matter whether you have physically done so.
What does this precept look like with regard to Sabbath rest?

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Yes!

Jesus shows us that all of them are judged in the heart, rather than in the outward action. If you hate, you are guilty of murder, no matter whether you have physically done so.
What does this precept look like with regard to Sabbath rest?
What has hate got to do with being lazy :confused:

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I believe thinking about thinking may deal well with the dilemma..

PS

Jan 11, 2013
If I hate you, I won't lift a finger to help you. You'll call me and I'll stay in bed
If you hated me, then I would doubt whether or not you are a child of God who said even to love our enemies.

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
Any law is a command and any command is a law. you break the command, you break the law.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Any law is a command and any command is a law. you break the command, you break the law.
The point is, with Jesus in our life, would we even want to break the commandments.

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
If everyone would do unto others as they would want them to do unto them, then that pretty much cover everything. everyone wants to be treated with love, kindness, and respect.