Born Again Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

Jud 1:20 But G1161  ye, G5210  beloved, G27  building up G2026  yourselves G1438  on your G5216  most holy G40  faith, G4102  praying G4336  in G1722  the Holy G40  Ghost, G4151 

Building up:

Do you not look at the roots of words? I always do..

G2026
ἐποικοδομέω
epoikodomeō
ep-oy-kod-om-eh'-o
From G1909 and G3618; to build upon, that is, (figuratively) to rear up: - build thereon (thereupon, on, upon).
Total KJV occurrences: 8

G1909

G1909
ἐπί
epi
ep-ee'
A primary preposition properly meaning superimposition (of time, place, order, etc.), as a relation of distribution [with the genitive case], that is, over, upon, etc.; of rest (with the dative case) at, on, etc.; of direction (with the accusative case) towards, upon, etc.: - about (the times), above, after, against, among, as long as (touching), at, beside, X have charge of, (be-, [where-]) fore, in (a place, as much as, the time of, -to), (because) of, (up-) on (behalf of) over, (by, for) the space of, through (-out), (un-) to (-ward), with. In compounds it retains essentially the same import, at, upon, etc. (literally or figuratively).
Total KJV occurrences: 885

G3618
οἰκοδομέω
oikodomeō
oy-kod-om-eh'-o
From the same as G3619; to be a house builder, that is, construct or (figuratively) confirm: - (be in) build (-er, -ing, up), edify, embolden.
Total KJV occurrences: 39

If you look also at scriptures that speak of Jesus doing miracles, you see that He superimposed time, space, order, and rank.

Embolden. To be in the Spirit and using a voice gift...you speak out of heaven, and in the authority of it.

There’s nothing like the gift of prophecy and tongues in this realm we live in.

Or moving in the Spirit to do His work.

I’ve tasted these things and thirst for more. More of You Lord!
Lol

1. You did not shw me anything I did not already know.
2. I always look up words. (My logos bible has multiple greek-hebrew lexicons, Dictionaries and helps of all kinds, Strongs is but one source.)
Many words have different meanings, so they must be taken in context. Stongs is one which gives multiple defenitions, as so many others do. So context is everything,

In our case, But building up a person or the body is always the same thing, no matter HOW it is done. It is encouraging them, strengthening, Helping them grow in Christ. Paul speaks of many things and many ways in which God helps a child or a body grow. We must not limit God

While I may agree, in the early church prophesy and tongues were used mightily (since the word was not yet complete) I do not agree wiht that today. God works in so many ways, you seem to be bent on trying to limit him

And I have tasted God in ways you can only imagine, the fact you even hint that I have not. That just hurts your case and shows you need to open up your mind some more. Because God works in so many ways, I fear you have not even imagined the way God works.

E

eternally-gratefull

Do you seriously believe that God would allow scriptures specific to salvation to be modified? We are told that everyone will be judged by the words Jesus spoke.

There are bible translations that have altered the meaning of some scriptures. However, I have found through study that not one change has been made to scripture that pertains to salvation. Coincidence? I don't think so.

John 12:48
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Yes they will. Everyone will be judged by every word God spoke in HIS WORD (from genesis to revelation)

And God is always consistant wiht his word. He is the same yesterday today and tomorrow

He did not change the way he works AFTER his death He just COMPLETED the way that everyone has always in every age has been saved. He purchased grace.

So why would we or anyone else want to add works?

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
I have never spoke in tongues , but I do know one thing for sure , and here it is...

Romans 8:16 The Spirit himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God's children...
Praise the LORD , and thank You Jesus...xox...
Amen sis

😏

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I find nothing amusing about doctrinal error. I do attribute it to a lack of good bible discipleship but it is still unsound doctrine. There is simply no support for praying in tongues in the bible. Praying in the or with the Holy Spirit is not praying in tongues. The Holy Spirit comes along side us to help us but the Holy Spirit does not remove us from the equation.

2 Tim 3:1 ¶ This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Denying the power of godliness, from such turn away.

We are sanctified by Holy Spirit.

2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Yes it is.

No, It is because the HS has baptised us into Christ, Into his death, and into his body. where we are completely washed, and made clean, and where we who were dead in tresspasses and sins have been made alive-in christ. Through Gods mercy, not through our own works.

And BECAUSE we have been saved completely through this baptism of God we are able to rest. Or stop from our work of continaully trying to match up to Gods standard and having to save ourselves.
The disciples believed in God and were assured a home in Heaven, but the gift of the Holy Spirit in the upper room was something altogether different. :)

7seasrekeyed

such confusion. this is what happens when cessationists try to make scripture fit their belief

to be baptized in the Holy Spirit does not mean this is what happens when you accept Christ as your Savior. this is not the biblical model and is a corrupted interpretation

first off, as I brought up some weeks back, the actual GREEK is to be baptized IN and not with. throughout the entire NT there are only 2 prepositions used with the verb phrase 'to baptize'. those words are IN and INTO

when Jesus states 'for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.' Acts 1:5, before he was taken up into heaven, He also states that the purpose of such a baptism is

8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.' Acts 1

now the disciples and all those who were still with Jesus were obviously already saved.

let me repeat that. THE DISCIPLES WERE ALREADY SAVED WHEN JESUS SAID THIS

so, this errant teaching that baptism in the Holy Spirit is accepting Christ is corrupt and not biblical

there are some individuals here who do not accept the baptism IN the Holy Spirit and therefore, have created their own version of what the words mean

so, the fact the disciples were saved and yet Jesus told them to WAIT for the Holy Spirit whom the Father was going to send, indicates that the baptism in the Holy Spirit is a separate and DISTINCT event

so we understand, from Jesus' words and the chronological events described in the book of Acts, that you are saved when you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (don't confuse this with sanctification or anything that comes after. this is an even IN the history of your life that is not duplicated) and the enduement for power to witness for Him comes when you are baptized IN the Holy Spirit

any other version of events or meaning is, again, a corruption of the text and should be tossed aside like the lie that it is

the Bible is more than clear that if you do not have the baptism IN the Holy Spirit you do NOT have this power that Jesus speaks of

there is no way around that, other than to deny the words of Christ and create a corruption of the text

notuptome

May 17, 2013

2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
This has nothing to do with tongues and lends no support to your doctrine. Sanctification is not speaking in tongues.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

E

eternally-gratefull

When Jesus was baptised, the Holy Spirit came upon him. This is in addition to the indwelling of Christ within us at salvation.
Did Jesus need saved?

Or was this a sign to john the baptist and all who saw that this was the messiah?

Was that not what John the baptist was told?

John 1:33
I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

And is this not a picture of our salvation, When we are baptised by the Holy Spirit (our sins washed away and we are regenerated in christ) that the holy spirit anoints us just like he anointed christ immediately after he came up out of the water?

Is this not the same picture in the law. When moses baptized Arrons sons, And THEN anointed them with the Holy oil.

E

eternally-gratefull

I have never spoke in tongues , but I do know one thing for sure , and here it is...

Romans 8:16 The Spirit himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God's children...
Praise the LORD , and thank You Jesus...xox...
Its sad some people think they need some sign to be sure.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Fruit is of Holy Spirit. Not of man.
Indeed but this is a problem for you. The fruit of the Holy Spirit does not include tongues.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

E

eternally-gratefull

The disciples believed in God and were assured a home in Heaven, but the gift of the Holy Spirit in the upper room was something altogether different. :)
Yep

And those gifts were not promised to everyone. They had a specific purpose. On that day, To show people something new is here, And it was used as a witness to help them to see it was from God.

And the baptism of the spirit is STILL the act of God baptizing us INTO CHRIST, (rom 6, 1 cor 12, col 2 and gal)

E

eternally-gratefull

Yes we are

But that does nto mean tongues or any gift. It means the whole council of God in our lives.

7seasrekeyed

Such nasty rubbish. I see no evidence of the fruit of the Holy Spirit in what you post. Repent. The accuser of the brethren is already sealed unto his fate.

Psalm 2:1 ¶ Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

I have noticed you are actually getting worse

you are hatching viper eggs. look it up

notuptome

May 17, 2013
such confusion. this is what happens when cessationists try to make scripture fit their belief

to be baptized in the Holy Spirit does not mean this is what happens when you accept Christ as your Savior. this is not the biblical model and is a corrupted interpretation

first off, as I brought up some weeks back, the actual GREEK is to be baptized IN and not with. throughout the entire NT there are only 2 prepositions used with the verb phrase 'to baptize'. those words are IN and INTO

when Jesus states 'for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.' Acts 1:5, before he was taken up into heaven, He also states that the purpose of such a baptism is

8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.' Acts 1

now the disciples and all those who were still with Jesus were obviously already saved.

let me repeat that. THE DISCIPLES WERE ALREADY SAVED WHEN JESUS SAID THIS

so, this errant teaching that baptism in the Holy Spirit is accepting Christ is corrupt and not biblical

there are some individuals here who do not accept the baptism IN the Holy Spirit and therefore, have created their own version of what the words mean

so, the fact the disciples were saved and yet Jesus told them to WAIT for the Holy Spirit whom the Father was going to send, indicates that the baptism in the Holy Spirit is a separate and DISTINCT event

so we understand, from Jesus' words and the chronological events described in the book of Acts, that you are saved when you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (don't confuse this with sanctification or anything that comes after. this is an even IN the history of your life that is not duplicated) and the enduement for power to witness for Him comes when you are baptized IN the Holy Spirit

any other version of events or meaning is, again, a corruption of the text and should be tossed aside like the lie that it is

the Bible is more than clear that if you do not have the baptism IN the Holy Spirit you do NOT have this power that Jesus speaks of

there is no way around that, other than to deny the words of Christ and create a corruption of the text
Nope to take your position is to nullify Ephesians 2. It is the Holy Spirit that quickens us unto eternal life in Christ. Titus calls it a washing of regeneration Titus 3:5.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I have noticed you are actually getting worse

you are hatching viper eggs. look it up
The light of the truth hurts your eyes? I have come to expect you to deny bible doctrine that is actually found in the bible.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

7seasrekeyed

Nope to take your position is to nullify Ephesians 2. It is the Holy Spirit that quickens us unto eternal life in Christ. Titus calls it a washing of regeneration Titus 3:5.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
well, we are to turn aside from such as you are

you are leading people away from their Savior

and you will one day have to give an account of why you corrupted the very words of Christ and did so with passion

7seasrekeyed

The light of the truth hurts your eyes? I have come to expect you to deny bible doctrine that is actually found in the bible.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
viper eggs

Isaiah 59

They rely on empty pleas; they tell lies;

they conceive mischief and give birth to iniquity.

5They hatch the eggs of vipers

and weave a spider’s web.

Whoever eats their eggs will die;

crack one open, and a viper is hatched.

6Their cobwebs cannot be made into clothing,

and they cannot cover themselves with their works.

Their deeds are sinful deeds,

and acts of violence are in their hands.

you are so bold only because of the few here that you think are the same as you

however, they have not quite reached the heights of iniquity that you have

notuptome

May 17, 2013
well, we are to turn aside from such as you are

you are leading people away from their Savior

and you will one day have to give an account of why you corrupted the very words of Christ and did so with passion
Truth is that you want to lead them away from Christ. I am urging folks to seek the truth and not false doctrines that are fabricated out of well meaning but mislead ideas that are simply not scriptural.

These are prodigal and wandering far from the Father who waits their return. The Father does not condemn then but patiently waits their return.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Hi stones...
I thought praying in the Holy Spirit was when we do not know what to pray...
Say for example , someone who has just had some awful news , they are numb , in shock , they cannot pray , let alone think , but they are indeed in need to pray to God , but just cannot think , is it not at those times , the Holy Spirit prays for us on our behalf , in groans to deep for us to even know , yet God knows , because God knows what our heart is really feeling at that time of brokeness , the Holy Spirit intercedes for us , nothing to do with us , nor tongues...xox...
This is true Rosemary. Scriptures do say in certain places that Holy Spirit prays for us. But, tongues is the method of opening your mouth to speak it out.

I had the experience only once of those groanings which happened when a young member of our church left a suicide note and took off.

She was found before it happened.

Rosemary, the gifts are from Jesus to us. They are good. And is nothing like a ghost overtaking you. That’s Hollywood. It’s communion through Holy Spirit to Father directly and is perfect prayer. No doubt voiced.