Can a man love ONLY ONE woman?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I say yes, with an explanation.
People are imperfect and can be too easily swayed or sidetracked. Since we are not perfect, neither is our love. I think, ideally, the answer would be no, but in a fallen reality the answer is yes. Humankind does not, in it's current state, possess the capacity to be so limited.
Help me understand what you're saying......

I think you are saying that "with God it is possible, however, without God it is impossible for a man to only love his wife and not other women."

Is this what you are saying?

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
But, can a man LOVE ONLY ONE WOMAN - his spouse preferably?

A man can have only one wife, yet that doesn't mean he loves her.
Good point. Yes I believe you can love more than one at a time, but I would add with that a caution that what most people think is love is usually more lust and hormones.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Help me understand what you're saying......

I think you are saying that "with God it is possible, however, without God it is impossible for a man to only love his wife and not other women."

Is this what you are saying?
I'm just saying peoples love is too easily distracted. Too easily misplaced. Or even corrupted.
I'm not saying it's not at all possible, just that it's less common. Whether we love another person, or our toys and gadgets, or hobbies, etc... our love is easily swayed. All too often we see people marry as a couple and separate as two individuals more consumed with things outside their marriage. Sometimes this includes other people.
It can take discipline and being somewhat proactive to work against this and if two people aren't in agreement on this and willing to work at it as a unit then, eventually, the rift will occur.
As far as love naturally 'staying in place' on it's own, rather than being a concentrated effort, we are not capable of that at this point.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I am so enjoying all of your posts!!! Thank you! :love:(y)

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I've been pondering what God's design was for Adam and Eve, a husband and a wife............. becoming one in body, soul and spirit............

To love in Body:
- Love what I see (physically attractive to each other)
- Love what I hear (the sound of their voice, their breathing, their laughter)
- Love what I taste (kisses are sweet)
- Love what I smell (natural body scent or cologne/perfume that is stimulating and comforting)
- Love what I touch (enjoy each other's affection)
- Love to help each other physically when you need an extra hand

To love in Soul:
- Love how they think (intellectually stimulate and inspire each other to grow and learn new things, conversations that hold each others attention)
- Love how they feel (connect emotionally by laughing together, crying together, angry together, happy together, feel what each other feels emotionally)
- Love their dreams and desires (share dreams, goals, desires, future hopes with each other)

To love in Spirit:
- Love God together (both put God first and each other second, then the kiddos; provoke each other to good works that are pleasing in God's sight; pray with and for each other; read the Bible together; go to church together; etc.)

God's design is beautiful ..........................:love:

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
Is it possible that a man can ONLY LOVE ONE woman?

God created ONE WOMAN for Adam, yet the kings of Israel had so many wives.

Probably need some kind of a definition of "love" so, I'm asking about a man loving a woman with all his body, soul and spirit.

Feel free to define love in the way you understand it.

I look forward to reading your posts!
Yes it is sister ✊🏽

K

kaylagrl

Probably need some kind of a definition of "love" so, I'm asking about a man loving a woman with all his body, soul and spirit.

I don't know how many woman a man can love. I just know hubby better love just one! Me! Or he's in for a knee capping. ;)

All joking aside here is how the Bible defines love...

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." ~ 1 Corinthians

If we take our cues from secular sources,we do not understand love truly. If you watch movies,tv,read magazines or social media,you do not understand true love. I believe many marriages could be saved without a moment of counseling if couples read and lived by this passage in the Bible.JMO

GardenofWeeden

Jul 27, 2018
The Garden of Weeden
My dad was faithful to my mom for 40 plus years. My husband's dad was faithful to his mama for over 40 years, my brothers have been faithful to their wives for over 20 years, my husband has been faithfully loving only me for almost 30 years, I have 40some aunts and uncles (ginormous family) who've been faithful for decades.....Yeah I'd say it's possible. The Bible says a Man shall leave his mother and a woman shall leave her home and they shall cling to one another...paraphrased. It doesn't says they shall cling to whoever comes along.

I personally believe that love is a choice. God is love, and we have to choose God, so we have to choose love and to be love. Some times it takes a conscious choice (we're human and test each other) but often it's unconscious.

Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it, and right is right even if no one else is doing it.

M

Miri

There are entire generations in my church.

Kids / parents / grand parents / great grand parents etc. Who prove it’s possible.

Just one thing. Now what are we going to talk about on Valentine’s Day. lol

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Scripture speaks a lot about marriage being two humans, a man and a woman, becoming one. That would mean that you can't be one with three people, impossible. Two halfs make a whole. It doesn't speak about love in connection with this, although it speaks of love developing from this.

How it works out is that a solid, fine family is created and all members of that immediate family can absolutely depend on the stability and strength of the family. History is filled with arranged marriages that are solid and satisfying by following what scripture tells them to be.

Sex is an integral part of this and scripture describes it glowingly, but scripture sex is a long ways from what todays world has made of it. Scripture sex can be described as "the two become one" and that is not what our world tells of it.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I think Lauffer, it is possible but only with Him. I think His dying on the cross made it possible. I think He shows us as His bride, the church, how with Him it is possible, telling husbands to love their wives as Christ Loves the Church, with all they he.
I believe as you do. Loving more than one woman in a romantic sense would indicate a lack of commitment and instability in maintaining and growing an exclusive relationship. Yes, it is indeed possibly but I feel sorry for the women involved, especially the one that is actually married to such a man.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
But, can a man LOVE ONLY ONE WOMAN - his spouse preferably?

A man can have only one wife, yet that doesn't mean he loves her.
A man in this situation can pray for God to develop the spiritual tools necessary to focus on his wife, especially if the wife loves the husband and tries to be a good wife to him.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila

Of course. Jacob married 4 but he loved most is Rachel.

Elkanah the father of prophet Samuel married 2 women but he loved most is Hannah.

What is the point of marrying a lot of women if one of them is your most loved?

Then better to marry someone who think who has the best qualities in your liking.

L

Locoponydirtman

Love is not feelings. Those emotional warm fuzzies are hormone driven lust. Love is to actively participate in and work toward someone's best interest, with out regard to ones own personal feelings.
The warm fuzzies, and feeling of satisfaction, and the feeling of close connection should be a result of mutual investment into the best for each other.
It would not be possible for me to have those feelings for any other woman than my wife because we have work so hard together and have gone through so much together. Our closeness is because a since of shared life experience.
Sure some young thang could come flaggin and waggin, and cause me to have the warm fuzzies but that's not love it's lust. She could even make me feel good about myself while she came around, that's not love either. That too is lust. This can happen to any man or woman, it causes affairs and cheating and destroys marriages and families. So when it invariably happens I think of the investment I have in a lifetime with my wife and I laugh and walk away knowing it's the devil who comes to steal kill and destroy.
Why do people not understand the distinction between love and lust? This has always baffled me, even before I was a Christian.