Can a person be a Christin yet deny the Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
There seems to be some that consider themselves to be christians yet deny the authority of the Bible. In never met anybody that called themselves Christians and doubted the authority and prophesies (besides some that never read it, like most catholics) in the Bible before I got here. I a person denies the Bible can they still be considered Christians?
Note; I didn't say saved.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Once a person denies that the Bible is the Word of God they are establishing in their mind that non of what the Bible reveals is dependable.. They use the Bible as a smorgasbord taking what they think is good and rejecting what they think is bad.. They are in fact their own god, creating their own religion, based on their own imperfect judgement.. They have disbelieved God and created their own personal Idol religion..

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont think they can be called christians if they deny it. Some could maybe question it but to deny God who inspired the Bible and claim its all made up or its just the same as any other book would be pushing it.

Some could be just seekers who havent read all of it though.

Doubting isnt the same as denial though. Even Thomas was doubting at first but thing is he went to Jesus and asked him to show him he didnt just go well I wasnt here so the resurrection didnt even happen. Thats a bit ostrich like.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would say that a claim to saving faith in Jesus Christ and a denial of the reliability and authority of the Bible are incompatible but not impossible. That said, many people believe things that are mutually incompatible. Most of them don't examine those beliefs and so they get along in life just fine, generally. It's called cognitive dissonance.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
no.

1Jn 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

if i show you from bible that God created everything and all produce after own kind. you say no its evolution my science this that. then you are answering in the flesh or dont even have spirit of God and arent saved. you refuse to believe what God teaches and go with secular worldly science falsely so called.

its good example i can think of. if i show you from bible that God will resurrect everyone you say no then you disagree with God's record and you arent saved. thats it.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I say our Bible translations contain God's inspired word. They probably contain uninspired additions also. There is enough preserved to get us saved and instructed, somewhat, on what God is doing with mankind.

That said, tradition on how to translate many scriptures has the stamp of antichrist (Satan). He has offered a counterfeit Christianity that most have bought into. The hardest part of learning from the Holy Spirit was shelving the traditional teachings about His word. It is almost like tossing all doctrine and starting over.

I was blatantly appalled at how wrong mainstream Christianity has been duped by the RCC. The Protestants, like Martin Luther, moved away from what bothered them, but they did not start over like they should have. So, they carried many of the same errors into their "state" religions. People weren't free to decide for themselves what their Bibles said. It was the same old, same old.

M

Miri

It depends.

Just because some people are babes and are only able to cope with the milk not the meat,
it doesn’t mean they are not Christians, we all have to start somewhere and learn/grow.
I became a Christian age 11 and I can honestly say I was no expert theologian at that age, I
just believed Jesus died for me.

Whether you are 11 or 111 when you come to Christ, you are a baby!

It is Jesus who saves, not a bible, otherwise a high percentage of the world would be
a Christian by the fact they owned a bible, or knew a bible story. People even swear
on the bible under oath!

Many people where saved before the bible existed.

Apr 15, 2017
There seems to be some that consider themselves to be christians yet deny the authority of the Bible. In never met anybody that called themselves Christians and doubted the authority and prophesies (besides some that never read it, like most catholics) in the Bible before I got here. I a person denies the Bible can they still be considered Christians?
Note; I didn't say saved.
You cannot call yourself a Christian and deny the Bible, nor can you call yourself a Christian as it is understood in it's fundamental form that has been preached for thousands of years if you deny that, which the world understands it has been preached like that which cannot be denied.

And you cannot have salvation if you deny the Bible in the truth.

Which God said do not take away, or add to His word, or He will take away your name from the book of life.

We are born innocent until we sin and it appears as if everybody's name is in the book of life when born until they sin and it goes uncorrected with God and then their name is blotted out of the book of life.

But there is many people that do not deny the Bible but they have a different interpretation of the Bible based on whatever they believe that is not part of the Bible and it is their foundation for the interpretation of scriptures.

The Roman Catholic Church did not get rid of their pagan, occult ways, but held unto them and it became their foundation for the interpreting of scriptures.

Joseph Smith had a belief that was not part of the Bible and it became his foundation.

Christian Science, and Christian Science, and people like them a wrong foundation.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

The new age movement that does not deny the Bible but has a false interpretation of it based on the occult, and evolution, and people can still evolve to be greater and spiritual provided the New Age Christ in the future for evolution is not done with people yet.

The new age movement will lead the world to the New Age Christ, and the beast kingdom.

Which they took prayer out of school in America and taught evolution, and Science claims evolution, and many people believe in evolution.

Which they will forbid to marry for a man and a woman for population reduction.

Which we have women's lib, feminism, a men's group MGTOW, pointing out men in the media as being dogs towards women, and portraying women as only caring about money and material things and controlling to drive a wedge between men and women, which men and women not wanting to get married is increasing.

And saying they are born gay, and transgender, and be whatever sex you want to be so they will go in that direction, and trying to take the gender roles away like using the same bathroom.

There is a woman at my work that is in the process of becoming a man, but she does not seem like a woman or a man but stuck in between, and she uses the men's bathroom at my work and it is alright by them.

Command to abstain from meats, nature worship, reverence of animals, which veganism is on the rise.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

The new age movement is the future for this world and religion will be evolution for that is their prosperity and spirituality, and the time will come that they will not want to hear the truth of the Bible but want to hear it according to their own lusts to evolve through nature exalting themselves and not acknowledging a personal God, but honor the God of forces, or the power of nature as their higher power, the evolutionary process.

The new age movement is what will cause the beast kingdom to come about in Revelation 13.

Many people do not deny the Bible but they do not have the right interpretation of it, and many religions believe the Bible has truth but not all of it, and will interpret it according to their religious ways, even Islam that believes the Quran is the last book of the Bible but they do not believe all the Bible.

A person cannot deny the Bible and be a Christian, and cannot be saved, but many people do not deny the Bible, but because of their false interpretation of it do deny the Bible.

It would seem if a person denies the authority of the Bible, and prophesy, and call themselves Christian, then it seems that they would not claim Jesus as Lord and Savior, but have a different interpretation of Him like He is a good man from God, a prophet, or like the new age movement that views Jesus as having evolved and became an ascended master, and avatar, which they hope to become that too when the Christ conscience comes upon them in the future.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Such a good question...

I mean it seems in direct opposition but what about those who read the bible but come up with so many different interpretations?

What about tribes of ppl who come to Jesus, without having the word?

I think finding the words of God, and consuming them brings joy and rejoicing for sure but ultimately who we are coming to is Him.

However, the word testifies to Him, so how can one dispute the thing that testifies to the One they receive?

and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe the one whom he has sent. You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
John 5:38‭-‬40 ESV

M

Miri

All I can say is that as a young Christian, I couldn’t think for myself and just
believed everything I was told whether right or wrong. It took a lot of growing
up, actually reading and re-reading the bible and forming my one ideas. Which even
then changed later on.

I’m sure if I came on CC as a young Christian in my teens up to late 20s, possibly early
30s, I would have been shunned as “that heretic”.

Dec 12, 2013
By very definition the word Christian means Christ like...can one be Christ like if not saved or if they reject the bible.....short end of the stick....NO........

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
If a person denies the Bible can they still be considered Christians?
That would be impossible. A genuine Christian believes that the Bible is the Word of God, which means that it is (a) inspired, (b) therefore inerrant, and (c) therefore infallible.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
You cannot call yourself a Christian and deny the Bible, nor can you call yourself a Christian as it is understood in it's fundamental form that has been preached for thousands of years if you deny that, which the world understands it has been preached like that which cannot be denied.

And you cannot have salvation if you deny the Bible in the truth.

Which God said do not take away, or add to His word, or He will take away your name from the book of life.

We are born innocent until we sin and it appears as if everybody's name is in the book of life when born until they sin and it goes uncorrected with God and then their name is blotted out of the book of life.

But there is many people that do not deny the Bible but they have a different interpretation of the Bible based on whatever they believe that is not part of the Bible and it is their foundation for the interpretation of scriptures.

The Roman Catholic Church did not get rid of their pagan, occult ways, but held unto them and it became their foundation for the interpreting of scriptures.

Joseph Smith had a belief that was not part of the Bible and it became his foundation.

Christian Science, and Christian Science, and people like them a wrong foundation.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

The new age movement that does not deny the Bible but has a false interpretation of it based on the occult, and evolution, and people can still evolve to be greater and spiritual provided the New Age Christ in the future for evolution is not done with people yet.

The new age movement will lead the world to the New Age Christ, and the beast kingdom.

Which they took prayer out of school in America and taught evolution, and Science claims evolution, and many people believe in evolution.

Which they will forbid to marry for a man and a woman for population reduction.

Which we have women's lib, feminism, a men's group MGTOW, pointing out men in the media as being dogs towards women, and portraying women as only caring about money and material things and controlling to drive a wedge between men and women, which men and women not wanting to get married is increasing.

And saying they are born gay, and transgender, and be whatever sex you want to be so they will go in that direction, and trying to take the gender roles away like using the same bathroom.

There is a woman at my work that is in the process of becoming a man, but she does not seem like a woman or a man but stuck in between, and she uses the men's bathroom at my work and it is alright by them.

Command to abstain from meats, nature worship, reverence of animals, which veganism is on the rise.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

The new age movement is the future for this world and religion will be evolution for that is their prosperity and spirituality, and the time will come that they will not want to hear the truth of the Bible but want to hear it according to their own lusts to evolve through nature exalting themselves and not acknowledging a personal God, but honor the God of forces, or the power of nature as their higher power, the evolutionary process.

The new age movement is what will cause the beast kingdom to come about in Revelation 13.

Many people do not deny the Bible but they do not have the right interpretation of it, and many religions believe the Bible has truth but not all of it, and will interpret it according to their religious ways, even Islam that believes the Quran is the last book of the Bible but they do not believe all the Bible.

A person cannot deny the Bible and be a Christian, and cannot be saved, but many people do not deny the Bible, but because of their false interpretation of it do deny the Bible.

It would seem if a person denies the authority of the Bible, and prophesy, and call themselves Christian, then it seems that they would not claim Jesus as Lord and Savior, but have a different interpretation of Him like He is a good man from God, a prophet, or like the new age movement that views Jesus as having evolved and became an ascended master, and avatar, which they hope to become that too when the Christ conscience comes upon them in the future.
Now we are getting somewhere. It's easy for someone that was raised to believe a pack of lies to adopt @MattforJesus type stance but there are those of us that were presented a false gospel first. Figured out that we have been lied to and had to investigate to determine what we can really believe before accepting the whole bible is the inspired word of God. I said in the op that this is not a question about salvation but weather a person should be considered a christian and not believe in the bible. Here's why.

I believe Christian is a title assigned to a follower of Christ, not a so called, (pardon the expression) Bible thumper. I think there plenty that fit that description that aren't saved either. My case in point is people who know the word backwards and forewords but never understood or accepted the salvation first came by grace first the by faith in the Lord. Not works.

They jump straight to an educational stance and never fully believed that, 'if we believe in our hearts and confess with our hearts the Jesus is lord we are saved.' Faith in the bible comes after faith in Christ for many. That dosn't make them unsaved or less saved if they believe in Christ. I wouldn't consider the criminal that spoke up for Jesus, beside him on another cross a Christian by any traditional standards, but none the less he was saved and never even heard of a Bible.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
By very definition the word Christian means Christ like...can one be Christ like if not saved or if they reject the bible.....short end of the stick....NO........
I am not very familiar with that definition :unsure: I understand the word 'Christian' to mean the name given by the Greeks or Romans, probably in reproach, to the followers of Jesus. It was first used at Antioch. The names by which the disciples were known among themselves were "brethren," "the faithful," "elect," "saints," "believers." The word 'Christian' occurs three times in the NT: Acts 11:26 ; 26:28 ; 1 Peter 4:16 :)

Dec 12, 2013
I am not very familiar with that definition :unsure: I understand the word 'Christian' to mean the name given by the Greeks or Romans, probably in reproach, to the followers of Jesus. It was first used at Antioch. The names by which the disciples were known among themselves were "brethren," "the faithful," "elect," "saints," "believers." The word 'Christian' occurs three times in the NT: Acts 11:26 ; 26:28 ; 1 Peter 4:16 :)
Yep and Jesus said we would he called by his name as well...Christian

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
In regards to the thread title the answer is apparently yes as evidenced in the BDF.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
All I can say is that as a young Christian, I couldn’t think for myself and just
believed everything I was told whether right or wrong. It took a lot of growing
up, actually reading and re-reading the bible and forming my one ideas. Which even
then changed later on.

I’m sure if I came on CC as a young Christian in my teens up to late 20s, possibly early
30s, I would have been shunned as “that heretic”.
I probably would be shunned too.

Feb 28, 2016
The Word is our 'new life' when our Father calls us out' -
if anyone one can deny this, then, may God have mercy upon them...

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
What about if they get saved befor believing the whole bible. Like maybe a Mormon, JW or Cathoilc that came to believe in Jesus and understood they (we) were taught a pack of lies. Mom had a Catholic bible, uncle Weimer had KJV plus the book of Mormon to explain it and aunt Winnie had her JW bible. all 3 different maybe 1 was telling the truth maybe all were lying. all told the resifixion story which resounded true to me. So I asked the Lord if he existed to help me first. Asked for forgiveness 2nd then started to understand and study. I was saved before I could honestly call my self any thing more that a student. That's why I joined the rescue mission. So I could take a time out to study the word.

I started with a terrible paraphrased New Testament version called, "Good News For Modern Man" the first week then graduated to KJV 1611 the next two then to NIV on the last week of my month there. The old testament followed as I continued and decided not only to ask for forgiveness because that part of the story made sence to me but to become not only a follower but to be a doer. You can't tell me I wasn't saved before clearing out the dung I'd been taught but didn't believe. It was the Lord and his Holy Spirit that led me down the correct path. All along. I'm a well vetted student of his word now and can tell the difference from the Shepard's teachings and that of the and Wolf. It didn't start that way and I came to trust the Bible after I was saved not before. There's others like me.

Still others that think they understand but put themselves under the law and works and discard faith & grace that call themselves Christians. They have been deceived, bewitched or never were saved to begin with. That was the entire point of this thread. SEE YAH!

Dec 12, 2013
I suppose it is an apples to oranges issue......At the end of the day there are a plethora of religions and people that identifiy as Christian and they are no more Christian than any lost man....The diaciples were called Christians as a term of derision.....and it was directed at those who were the followers of Christ and identified as Christian by word, deed and or lifestyle....it came to be universally applied in time to all who were "Christlike" and or identified as LITTLE CHRISTS.....Today the word itself is over used and applied universally for all so called CHRISTIAN religions.......at the end of the day if one exemplefies Christ by word and deed as a BORN AGAIN believer they are Christian...Now in all fairness, we can have Christian values like some old timers that are very moral, decent, never steal etc. and still be as lost as a goose.....And....there are some truths that are hard to bear or accept and maybe not believed by believers.....as well as things FALSE that are believed by believers.....So...how we define Christian has a lot to do with how we would answer.....