Can someone lose their salvation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter selenah
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Well firstly I do not profess to be a teacher of the word, but you continually asked me to write an exposition of chs 6, 7&8 and when I did not immediately do so suggested with sarcasm that I could not do so.

I will just be honest now. You and Red think so highly of the spiritual knowledge you both believe you have, but as soon as you are asked to respond to something most of the time we just get excuse after excuse

Empty vessels make the most noise!

ummm...no....that's not how it went:

Oh I could go through Romans 6, 7 &8 with you, that would not be a problem, but you would not accept it, just as you do not accept the words of Christ as the neccessary belief in him to have eternal life. I am sure you would come out with many weird and wonderful answers. It would be a waste of time

And as in your heart you believe you know much 'theology' and are here to give others the benefit of what you know I doubt you would have the mindset to be open and empty your mind as you put it

but, i'm asking if you would present an exposition of Romans 6, 7 & 8.
i MIGHT accept your reading.

i'm perfectly capable of emptying my mind. i don't like doing it for long, but if you will present a proper teaching on Romans 6,7,8, i will.

deal?

else how will i know where you are right and where i went wrong?

thanks.

Well as I suspect sarcasm in your words I doubt in that spirit we would get anywhere. And I do not see the point in wasting much of my time with someone who picks and chooses what they believe in the Bible and believes they have the spiritual knowledge and authority to demand of others what is not demanded in the Bible

I am afraid Zone I do not believe you could accept anything other than what you believe anyway. All that 'head theology'!!!


LBG:
if you have the correct Biblical intepretaton of the book of Romans, why wouldn't you share it?

i am asking if you would please present those 3 chapters and explain them both individually and as a whole. i want to know what you see that i do not see.

thank you.

You will never believe what I believe, it would not matter how much I wrote.

And frankly I become a little weary at having lengthy discussions with people who believe they know so much of the truth of scripture but show by what they write they do not.

And as your words are plainly not said in true sincerity that says much as well

But why don't you spend time doing an exposition of Rm 6, 7 and 8 if you like, then we can all benefit from the great knowledge you have, after all, to them that know much surely it is their duty to share what they know

so....you can't do it i guess.
thats' okay.

thanks anyways.
maybe some other time.

(i know what you mean about wearying over the suuuuuuper long debates over imaginary things)

Your welcome. Enjoy your 'head theology'

And of course, how could I ever compete with someone who knows better than Jesus what belief is required to have eternal life. After all he cannot have explained properly what belief is required, but luckily for us you are here, to further expound the neccessary beliefs required

Tell you what I'll do Zone. Lets you and me go through the first eight chapters of Romans together

I'll do an exposition of a chapter then you do one and so on. You can add your own thoughts to my chapters and me yours. Hows that?

Now obviously I have grammatical errors as you have lovingly pointed out. I can only hope if you agree to this you will be patient and bear with my lack of grammer in love:)

Also I have not read up on theologians as you have and have not put in the 'hard work' in this area as have you, neither would I say I am an authority on scripture, so I hope you will in love bear with my failings
Also as I have never done anything like this before I hope you will be especially patient with me and bear with me as I am sure you will at times find my inadequate exposition exasperating

So if you agree I will get statrted on CH 1 and then it is up to you if you continue with ch 2 or not, but at least I have shown willing.

RED

As this would be expositions by Zone and I, if possible could you reserve your criticism of what I write until we have finished all eight chapters. I want to be able to fully concentrate on my dialogue with Zone.

Zone, if you agree to do this, please do not make your expositions too long of each chapter, I have trouble concentrating on too much at a time to read
Thank you:)

CH 1

verses 1-4

Paul affirms he is a servant of Christ and called to be an Apostle of Christ who was foretold through the scriptures and was through the spirit declared to be the son of God

In verse 5 Paul who had been an arch Pharisee sets out his stall of the Gospel he has been called to preach. He stresses that obediance comes from faith.

Paul then exhorts the faith of the people he is writing to and and affirms he longs to see them.

He is not ashamed of the Gospel which is for all Jew and Gentile.

verse 17

Paul after writing that we have an obediance that comes from faith now goes further and says our righteousness before God is also by faith, and this is from first to last, the whole of our Christian lives
In other words. We could be burned alive for preaching the Gospel and give all we had to the poor but we would still only have one righteousness for Heaven, faith, and that is also our obediance.

Paul then goes on to speak of God's wrath against mankind for their ungodliness and wickedness. God's invisible qualities have been plain to see since the begining of creation from what has been made so man is without excuse to deny God exists.

Although man thought himself so wise he was foolish, exchanging the glory of God for man made images

So God gave them over to the sinful desires of their heart. Paul then speaks of the sinfulness of man, his depravity and the evil he commits. Paul says that man knew God's righteous decrees but ignored them, even though he knew he deserved death for doing so.
A pretty bleak picture of man is portrayed

Well I am sure that is not much of a start but at least I am showing willing:)

Please feel free to add ot what I hjave written. If you feel I should be writing more please tell me

I will do an exposition of ch 3 once you have done one on ch 2

~

um:confused:...nooooo....... but thank you.

i wanted to see your reading of it. if it flows, what illustrative language paul uses in each, how they are more than the sum total of each part. i don't think your reading/understanding would be fairly presented this way you propose. (not sure what it has to do with me - i could do one later i guess...but you already know what i believe)

the "team" idea might be an interesting experiment for some other time and purpose, though.

so...just carry on...i wanted to see your reading.
zone

OK

But I would have commented on the chapters you did expositions on so I would have commented on all the chapters you requested

But OK, never mind. I've never been asked to do a sermon/exposition on three continuous chapters before, not being a theologian or scholar I would have found it more interseting this way

CONT........
 
CONT....

Hi Anandya

Can I cheat and statrt at verse 9?

In Romans one and two Paul seems to speak much of the sinfulness of man, by the time we get to verse 9 of ch 3 he seems to me to sum up the state of man in verses that by some are described as the 'Total depravity of man.'

verse 9

What then shall we conclude? Are we any better? Not at all! We have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under sin. As it is written

There is no-one righteous, not even one
There is n-one who understands, no-one who seeks God
All have turned away, they have together become worthless
There is no-one who does good, not even one
Their throats are open graves
Their tongues practice deceit
The poison of vipers in on their lips
Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness
Their feet are swift to shed blood
Ruin and misery mark their ways
And the way of peace they do not know
There is no fear of God before their eyes

So it seems the law given to Moses had not made the Jews a Godly people. They were as guilty as the Gentiles. When I read those verses it just keeps hitting me that no-one could ever be good enough for God, we are all inherrently sinful.
So the standards God set could not be met by man
And how did man know what God required? Well the Jews had been given the law, but according to Paul the law when given had resulted in more sinning, the law did not just reveal the sin(Rom 5:20)

So no-one could be good enough, not one, the whole world was hushed and guilty before God.

Whether you had God's good laws as a Jew, or whether you were expected to believe in God because of all you saw that he had made(Rom 1:20) no-one could persist in doing good and living as God required

Now we know that whatever the law says is says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.
Therefore no-one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law, rather througfh the law we become concious of sin
verses19&20

Verse 20 has always been impressed on my mind. The law can only make us concious of our sin. Whenever we strive to be good enough for God, we just become aware of our faliures and sin. So if we are sincere and really want to be with God in our hearts it all seems hopeless from those verses doesn't it. If we try to live a good life for God(has to be trying in effect to obey His good laws) we will fail and simply become concious of our sin. Our very effort it seems to strive to live as God would have us live can only result in faliure and we stand condemned.(I wish I could mention Rom 7 here but I suspect that would be cheating)

But then Paul speaks of a righteousness from God apart from being good enough(the law) The arch Pharisee who had pinned his hopes of Heaven on obnediance to the law was now speaking of a righteousness apart from obediance to it. So man had a righteousness with God apart from being good enough, wow! He didn't have to struggle to attain a certain level of goodness to be with God, secure with him. And then for the first time in Romans he tells us what this righteousness is, faith in Christ.
Paul tells us that God justifies the one who has faith in Christ.
Paul then tells us that boasting is excluded, because we are not saved by being good enough/righteous by standards of goodness, but by faith in Christ who died for us. We are justified apart from obnserving the law

When I was a child I believed Christ died for the sins I committed before I becamec a Christian, but after that I was in effect back under law. The slate was wiped clean, but after that I had to shape up myself to what God required. I just found myself back at verse 20 that way. Chjrist died for ALL our sin.

Don't know about you but I often wonder how many Christians really in their heart believe their only righteousness in God's eyes for the whole of their Christian life is faith in Christ. The natural temptation of man is to try and earn what he gets, he must deserve what he gets. How many Christians slip back after conversion and with all good intyntion try and be good enough, maintain a righteousness of their own in effect for God? And how many actually stand on faith in Christ no matter what happens, knowing they are saved and kept by trusting him. Easy to say, but not always easy to do

So God justifies Jew and Gentile through faith ion his son though they have done nothing to deserve it, and they have not observed the law to be justified. A persons justification/righteousness before God had nothnig to do with the law, just faith in Christ. The law was irrelevant to this process

Now Paul must have known what the charge wpould be with this approach

'If I am not justified in God's sight by observing the law I can do what I want, I don't have to be 'good enough' to be saved or strive to obey the law, so I may as well ignore it and live as I please.

But in one of the most understated verses in the NT IMO Paul put that notion to bed.

Do we then nullify the law byu this faith? Not at all! Rather we uphold the law
verse 31

So according to Paul. By not living under the law, by not having to observe the law or strive to be good enough to get to Heaven, the law would be upheld in our lives. Why?

and then......

There are many who believe THEY have striven to learn, THEY have strived through their own endeavour to learn much theolgy,, by reading up on various scholars/theologians and continually reading the Bible. This mostly brings a 'knowledge' that puffs up and makes a person proud of what they think THEY have achieved an understanding of.
Sadly, all too often it is not enough to accept plain scripture as it is written, that is not enough for such scholarly people driven by an understanding of the natural mind so they have to look for 'hidden extras' I call it in scripture so they believe by their own striving and effort they have uncovered much truth

You asked me in a sarcastic tone to speak of Rom 6, 7 and 8, pointing out as you did so my lack of grammatical expertise. I freely admit academically you are probably far ahead of someone like me, and Peter, James and John for that matter as they were uneducated fishermen, but they got by OK

But I will play along with your game for a little while Zone. But personally I believe you are led firstly by your rational mind, therefore there will be no agremenmt here. So I will give you my thoughts briefly on Rom ch 6 and then I will invite you to tell me where you disagree with what I write. If your motives are pure you will agree, if not you will demand all three chapters are written at once. But as I am doing as you asked and you are not doing any exposition of them I hope you can find it in your heart to agreee to my request in humility. You will certainly see how I believe the three chapters flow. Though for this to be done properly all the first eight chapters of Romans should have expositions done on them, but you seem reluctant to yourself partake in this. I guess it is just easier to sit back and criticise others than put your own head above the parapet as it were. But if these chapters are to be looked at it needs to be one at a time, but like I said you can then put my statements together and judge for yourself(as can anyone else) if they flow. Though Rom 7 on its own proves the contentious point between us.


Paul had spoken much in previous chapters of us having a righteousness before God of faith, not law, we could not get to Heaven by being good enough, or earning our way there, it was by a free gift of faith.

He also had explained in the previous chapter that when the law was given sin increased, so the law did not just reveal the sin. He had also previously said that law brings wrath, if we live by law(striving to be good enough) faith has no value. BTW this is why all the other chapters should have been gone into first as I am sure you in your heart are well aware.
So Paul has been speaking of a righteousness/justification by faith, but he has also stressed that this will bring the law to be upheld in our lives Rom 3:31. So, by not living under the law but by faith in Christ we will as Christians live far more as God would have us live.

Rom ch 6

Paul is speaking of the Christian living in grace, not under the law.

He is in general terms talking of us being dead to sin and alive in Christ. Now, does this mean we will never do anything wrong and every day lead perfect lives in every way?' No. But we are not to concentrate on the sins of the flesh, set out to satisfy them. We are in grace and must look to Christ in our hearts and praise and worship him with thanksgiving for our salvation. We are to look to him, desiring in our hearts to follow him because we love him. We set our minds if you like on following after Christ, not on desiring to fulfiull the lusts of the flesh. And if
in our hearts we are looking to Christ, if we truly love him and want to follow him it would be impossible at the same time for us to be seeking ways to satisfy the sinful nature. This is important. If you disagree please let me know. So although we are not perfect in the body we in one sense count ourselves dead to sin as we are not looking to satisy the lusts of the flesh but trust in Christ.

verse 5

Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires, but those who live in accordance with the spirit have their minds set on what the spirit desires.

So if we in our hearts do not have our minds set on what the flesh desires, but are following after the spirit we are living in true grace, as long as we are trusting in Christ.

In verse 6 Paul says
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with that we should NO LONGER BE SLAVES TO SIN-because anyone who has died has been freed from sin

Now, does this mean we will never once sin in any way? Of course not. But we will not be controlled by sin. There is a big difference between being controlled by sin/sin being our master and sin not being our master, but as humans we are still not perfect. Do any of us fully obey every teaching to the letter of Christ in the beatitudes or the rest of his commands? No we do not. Do we every minute of every day love our neighbour as ourself? No we don't(do we Zone!!) But their is much sin that if not dealt with will stop us taking up our cross and following Christ, it would consume us if not dealt with, it will be our master, we will be its slave. I know from experiance that you cannot be in a wrong relationship and still follow after Christ. The relationship drags you down, you are no longer close to Christ, you end up following the world. You lose your peace, heartfelt faith etc. You are a slave to the contunued wrong relationship and why you are in that relationship. I could go on and on but I am sure you get my drift.
But if I kicked the cat one morning(bless him) I may in one sense have sinned, but sin is not mastering me, I feel bad and don't do it again. If you cannot accept this then is no point in us going on here.

In verse 9
'you however are not controlled by the sinful nature but by the spirit, if the spirit of God lives in you.

I will come to the spirit later on, but Paul says we are not to be controlled by the sinful nature, we cannot be slaves to sin. We cannot set our hearts on what the sinful nature desires.

Now does this mean that all our lives we will look to Christ and trust him in the power of the Holy Spirit, we are secure with God by faith in his son who died for us, but we will see no victory over sin in our life?
We will not look to the lusts of the flesh and seek to satisfy them but to Christ in heartfelt faith and trust him, but still be consumed by sin?

For sin shall not be your master, FOR YOU ARE NOT UNDER LAW BUT UNDER GRACE
verse 14

Now, if sin is not our master it cannot control us, would you agree?

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey -whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obediance which leads to righteousness
verses 15&16

So because we are not under law but under grace sin will not be our master, it will not control our lives, we must not be slaves to sin, for that leads to death.

Just as you used to offer the parts of your body to impurity and to ever increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness

So the Christian under grace cannot go on giving their body over to impuritiy, so victory must come about by grace over such things. Does this mean we will never have an impure thought? No! But our bodies are not given over to impurity, we see much victory therefore in the flesh over our impurity

But now that you have been set free of sin and have become slaves to God the benefit you reap leads to hoiliness and the result is eternal life
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord
verse 22&23

So, to sum up. We are to be dead to sin and alive in Christ by setting our hearts and minds on Christ and trusting him. We are secure with God by faith in his son. We are not under law but under grace. Therefore sin will not be our master and we are not to be slaves to sin

So, we must not look to satisfy the flesh but in our hearts look to Christ and trust him. We know that is our one and only righteousness for Heaven and because Christ is our one and only righteousness for Heaven and we are not under law sin will not be our master and we will see much victory over sin in our lives
Do we therefore nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather we uphold the law Rom 3:31(I know that is cheating)
Therefore if we live by faith in Christ, if we believe that is our one and only righteousness for Heaven, if we are not under the law, therefore we know in our hearts that security with God is dependant on believing in his son, not our own personal goodness we will actually uphold the good laws of God He would have us keep

Why is this?

Now I am going to a lot of trouble to accomodate you here, I hope you appreciate that though I am not convinced your motives are pure.
I ask that you respond to this chapter and tell me where you disagree. It will in no way change what I write concerning chapter 7 so you will see what you desire, the flow as you put it. But I prefer for one chapter at a time to be dealt with. Better we narrow down bit by bit where we disagreee I am sure you would not object to telling me where you may disagree with me here.
If you do not respond to this chapter I will write no more, but all I am sure will see who has made the effort and who has made no effort at all.

carry on LBG.
so Chapter 7 is next then.
thank you.
 
CONT....

Of course, after you tell me of anywhere you disagree with what I have thus far written

I am asking little of you, I am putting in nearly all the work. If you really in your heart with pure motives desire me to write an exposition of all three chapters you will firstly tell me if there is anything you disagree with concerning what I have written in ch 6
You would not mind doing that I am sure

and....

dont knock yourself out with all that work LBG....serious?

why do you need me to comment?
you said 7 was about paul before his conversion.
i said it is not.

we discussed 6, 7 & 8.

i would like to see your explanantion / expository teaching on 7 and how it shows this is not part of the life of the regenerated christian (particularly the new convert).

if you decide to use 6 and 8 to prove 7 is not a christian experience, please carry on. i can comment when you're done if you like.

then....

If you would really like to see my exposition of ch 7 concerning Paul speaking not of his Christian life but before he was a Christian I am positive you will comment on what I have written in ch 6 and show me where in your opinion I may be wrong in what I have written

But Don't worry Zone, if you will not comment on what I have written in ch 6 I understand why, but the offer was there to continue with this


and....

stop acting childish LBG.
if you have something to teach, if you are able to show 7 is not about regenerated paul, just do it.
how can i follow the flow of your teaching when you keep interrupting?
carry on or don't.

(it would be helpful if you provided the text you are commenting on).

followed by....

Well well well. You by your own admisssion have studdied and striven much to learn what you know. You are obviously more educated a person than am I, and you believe you are quite an authority on this subject, but if you were HONEST you do not want to comment on what I have written in ch 6. I would have thought it should be easy for someone with your learning from scholars/theologians to pull apart what I writre, or to have the courage to agree with it

I on the other hand have read nothing of theologians and scholars. I just read the Bible, and do not see myself as an authority on scripture, so why is it so hard for you to put in a bit of effort and comment on what I have written

You certainly would not lose the flow as you could easily read it all again afterwards when I had written my exposition of ch 7.

You also seem to be backtracking by now asking for my exposition of ch7 particularly concerning the new convert
You have stressed time and time again that Paul is speaking of his life AS a Christian, not of his life before he became a Christian. And can I remind you that it was you who asked me for an exposition on all three chapters, something I felt was needless, but as you have requested this and I have accomadated you, please comment on what I have written so far
If you do not, you simply prove everything I have been saying in this thread is the truth

and...

LBG:
if you have a presentation to make which will show me Romans Chapter 7 is NOT about the Christan experience, please proceed.
you don't need my intermittent commentary.
i don't stand up in church and interrupt the preacher.
you're playing some head game that doesn't exist.

i'll read ALL of your teaching FIRST...then comment. i've already lost the flow of what you had done previously. i said i would empty my mind and try to follow the simple words of scripture: so far you've posted a few lines from scripture and commented or expounded on them. and that's fine....but incomplete.

the purpose was to prove that 7 isn't a christian experience: you haven't gotten to 7 yet so why would i comment? and what do you want me to say about chapter 6? you lay out your teaching, then i respond, then you respond, etc.

why are you inventing some interactive method of teaching? its just a distraction.

Romans 7
Released from the Law
1Or do you not know, brothersa—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law is binding on a person only as long as he lives? 2For a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he lives, but if her husband dies she is released from the law of marriage.b 3Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress.

4Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God. 5For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death. 6But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.c

The Law and Sin
7What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” 8But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead. 9I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. 10The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me. 11For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. 12So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

13Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. 14For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. 15For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

21So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.
 
and:
Well firstly I do not profess to be a teacher of the word, but you continually asked me to write an exposition of chs 6, 7&8 and when I did not immediately do so suggested with sarcasm that I could not do so.

I will just be honest now. You and Red think so highly of the spiritual knowledge you both believe you have, but as soon as you are asked to respond to something most of the time we just get excuse after excuse

Empty vessels make the most noise!

are we any closer to knowing if Chapter 7 is about unregenerate Saul of Tarsus?
 
John 8: 31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine ;

John 15: 1 "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 "Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away ; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. 3 "You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.4 "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. 5 "I am the vine, you are the branches ; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing . 6 "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.

Romans 11: 17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree, 18 do not be arrogant toward the branches ; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in." 20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited , but fear ; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God ; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God's kindness, if you continue in His kindness ; otherwise you also will be cut off.

1 Corinthians 15: 1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

Colossians 1: 21 And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, 22 yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach - 23 if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.


1 Corinthians 9: 24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize ? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim ; I box in such a way, as not beating the air ; 27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

Galatians 5: 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law ; you have fallen from grace.

2 Peter 2: 20 For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. 21 For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them. 22 It has happened to them according to the true proverb, "A DOG RETURNS TO ITS OWN VOMIT," and, "A sow, after washing, returns to wallowing in the mire."


Certainly the above verses all point out the conditionality of our salvation to continue in the faith. One other point about works and faith. Romans 8: 7-8 pertains to our abilities to obey the law, NOT to our ability to accept the gospel through faith. And now for the bible passage used by all OSAS adherents.

Hebrews 6: 4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame. 7 For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God ; 8 but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.

A word about the Hebrews text above. The following interpretation is put forth by Jack Cottrell in his book The Faith, Once For All. Many interpret this to mean that once a person has fallen from grace it is impossible for them to repent and once again gain salvation. The word "since" above has been added by most authors and does not exist in the Greek. Because this connecting word does not exist, the relationship of the participles (crucifying again, and putting to open shame), to the main verb is open to interpretation. The relationship to the main verb (renew) is not causal, but temporal, thus setting a time frame in which the action of the main verb is true. Thus the correct interpretation should be, as long as they continue to crucify Christ and put Him to open shame, it is impossible to renew them.

Another reason for supporting this interpretation, according to the author, is that the scripture supports the possibility of restoration of the lost. This is seen in Romans 11: 20-23; Luke 15: 11-32; and Acts 8: 9-24.

I do believe that is possible for us to become so hard of heart, and have our consciences seared to the point that there is no return. And thus, for those who believe that there is no need to avoid sin are putting themselves at risk.
 
Last edited:
and:


are we any closer to knowing if Chapter 7 is about unregenerate Saul of Tarsus?

No we are not, because you have not got the confidence to simply say whether you agree with what I have written in ch 6 WHICH YOU REQUESTED ME TO WRITE, or to show me where you disagree with it

And I am positive that everyone who reads these comments between us will understand that if you really were seeking for me to do an exposition of ch 7 you would happily comply firstly with my request for your comments on ch 6

As you seem unable or unwilling to do so as I have repeatedly stated we will have to leave it there

I have my own opinions as to why you will not comment on ch6 as I am sure others will. You are in a hole basically of your own making.
 
No we are not, because you have not got the confidence to simply say whether you agree with what I have written in ch 6 WHICH YOU REQUESTED ME TO WRITE, or to show me where you disagree with it

And I am positive that everyone who reads these comments between us will understand that if you really were seeking for me to do an exposition of ch 7 you would happily comply firstly with my request for your comments on ch 6

As you seem unab;le or unwilling to do so as I have repeatedly stated we will have to leave it there

I have my own opinions as to why you will not comment on ch6 as I am sure others will. You are in a hole basically of your own making.

and leave it there we shall.

~

my position: Chapter 7 is about the believer and SIN and SIN and The Law.

it is describing the christian's need to understand that there will be a perpetual war against sin until they are released from this body of death. Paul included himself in this and never claimed weslyan perfectionism.

it says the Law can not sanctify.....the following Chapters describe how The Lord sanctifies.
 
and leave it there we shall.

~

my position: Chapter 7 is about the believer and SIN and SIN and The Law.

it is describing the christian's need to understand that there will be a perpetual war against sin until they are released from this body of death. Paul included himself in this and never claimed weslyan perfectionism.

it says the Law can not sanctify.....the following Chapters describe how The Lord sanctifies.


So tell me, is the whole of ch 7 about Paul's life as a Christian? and if not which parts are and which parts are not, I take it you will be prepared to answer this simple question

Please supply which verses he is a Christian, all or just some
 
Last edited:
So tell me, is the whole of ch 7 about Paul's life as a Christian? and if not which parts are and which parts are not, I take it you will be prepared to answer this simple question

Please supply which verses he is a Christian, all or just some

i've already answered that: at the beginning of this "session".
that's when you cried foul and we danced the tango.

you believe what you like ok, LBG? i don't know what that is, since you didn't finish presenting your case.
 
i've already answered that: at the beginning of this "session".
that's when you cried foul and we danced the tango.

you believe what you like ok, LBG? i don't know what that is, since you didn't finish presenting your case.

And we both know why do we not Zone

You have a Christianity of head theology, one where you feel you have the right to condemn others according to them not accepting beliefs that are not written in scripture as a requirement for eternal life, so you have floundered at the begining
Then you and others who consider yourselves such an authority on scripture go around calling others heretics if they do or do not believe things like the pre trib rapture or filique, while feeling you have the authority not to accept the plain and continuous words of Christ as to the requirement of belief in him neccessary for a person to have eternal life
You freely add to the requirementy Christ set
This is all pure head theology, it cannot be someone led of the Holy Spirit for the Holy Spirit would never contradict the plain and continuous words of Christ

Therefore you and people like you are speaking for yourselves and then according to Jesus are seeking honour for yourselves. So you could never truly empty yourself to read what I write. Your only real determination would be to prove your 'head theology' right at all costs. That is how it works I am afraid

I have met many like you who strive to learn, pouring over theologians and scholars, but they normally end up contradicting the plainest of scripture in doing so.

No need to go on so I will leave it there

BTW

If you have much knowledge why not do an exposition yourself of Rom 6,7&8 and show me where I err and others like me
 
Last edited:
And we both know why do we not Zone

You have a Christianity of head theology, one where you feel you have the right to condemn others according to them not accepting beliefs that are not written in scripture as a requirement for eternal life, so you have floundered at the begining
Then you and others who consider yourselves such an authority on scripture go around calling others heretics if they do or do not believe things like the pre trib rapture or filique, while feeling you have the authority not to accept the plain and continuous words of Christ as to the requirement of belief in him neccessary for a person to have eternal life
You freely add to the requirementy Christ set
This is all pure head theology, it cannot be someone led of the Holy Spirit for the Holy Spirit would never contradict the plain and continuous words of Christ

Therefore you and people like you are speaking for yourselves and then according to Jesus are seeking honour for yourselves. So you could never truly empty yourself to read what I write. Your only real determination would be to prove your 'head theology' right at all costs. That is how it works I am afraid

I have met many like you who strive to learn, pouring over theologians and scholars, but they normally end up contradicting the plainest of scripture in doing so.

No need to go on so I will leave it there

BTW

If you have much knowledge why not do an exposition yourself of Rom 6,7&8 and show me where I err and others like me

if you say so LBG.
 
why do you need me to comment?
you said 7 was about paul before his conversion.
i said it is not.

.


This is not for you Zone, for you could never accept what I wirte, I know that

In the first three verses Paul gives an illustration from marriage of dying to the law

In verse 4 he says

So my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him that was raised from the dead in order that we might bear fruit for God

So Paul is telling the Christians they died to the law so that they might belong to Christ and bear fruit for God
So what does dying to the law mean? Well if we are under the law we must strive to obey the written law surely, and if we fail and constantly fail we will feel great guilt and condemnation, for
the law stands against us and can condemn us

verse 5

For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies so that we bore fruit for death, but now by dying to what once bound us(the law) we have been relesaed from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code

So when we WERE controlled by the sinful nature the sinful passions in us were aroused by the law, BUT WE HAVE BEEN RELEASED FROM THE LAW, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER IT

So why would the sinful passiions in us be aroused(made greater) by the law?

I have a grandson, he is two years old. There are six things in my computer room he must pot touch, one is the telephone. If I am not watching him and he can sneak into that room he goes straight for the things he must not touch. One day I was on my computer and he came in, stared at me and his hand hovered a couple of inches above the phone, almost daring me to say spomething to him. So why was he like this?

There is an allure, excitement in doing what we know is wrong, it is basic human nature. If my grandson had no rules(laws if you lioke) concern ing the things he must not touch, he would sometimes go to them but the allure would not be so great. We are like that with sin. We come to God and we know what is required from the Christian because of the good laws iof God, there is no other way, and sin/satan uses the good laws of Gods to arouse all kinds of sinful desires in us, as happened to Paul.
But if the law is taken away, sin/satan can no longer use the law to arouse all kinds of sinful passions in us.

verse 6But now, by dying to what once bound us WE HAVE BEEN RELEASED FROM THE LAW SO THAT WE SERVE IN THE NEW WAY OF THE SPIRIT AND NOT IN THE OLD WAY OF THE WRITTEN CODE
#
So the Christian dies to the law, therefore, and sin can only use the law to arouse sinful passions in a person if they are living under the law, not if they have died to it, or should I add make greater the allure to do wrong as previously mentioned.

verses 7-11 KJV

What shall we say then? Is the law sin?God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said. 'Thou shalt not covet
But sin, taking occassion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For withojut the law sinwas dead
For I was alive without the law once, but when the commandment came , sin revived and I died
And the commandment which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death
For sin, tyaking occasion by the commandment deceived me, and by it slew me.

So, some believe this chapter is all about Paul as a Christian. Paul as a Christian died to the law, he tells us that we are enslaved to sin by the law, the sinful passions in us are aroused by the law. And here we have Paul telling us of the consequences in his own life when the commandment came

So Paul the Pharisee was not under the Ten Commandments?
The commandment did not come to Paul until he became a Christian?
So all manner of lust and concupiscence was not aroused in Paul by sin using the commandment until Paul became a Christian?
And Paul as a Christian who had died to the law was slain and put to death by the law?

I know some will find an answer but I am confident that most will see the absolute absurdity of such thin king

Paul is speaking of sin using the good and holy commandment of God to arouse all kinds of sinful [passions in us.

Can I repeat verse 5

For when we were controlled by the sinfull passions, THE SINFULL PASSIONS AROUSED BY THE LAW WERE AT WORK IN OUR BODIES SO THAT WE BORE FRUIT FPOR DEATH

In verses 7-11 Paul is telling us HOW sin used the law to arouse all kinds of sinful desires in him and to condemn him

But in verse six aftter telling us the sinful passions in us are aroused by the law Paul said he died to the
law.

In verse 12 Paul affirms that the law is Holy and Good and righhteous, but it was not that which was good that condemned him, but sin that used the commandemnt to condemn him

Now we come to verse 14 where many take great offence that Paul could not be speaking of his life but prior to becomingf a Christian, but as a Christian

We know that THE LAW is spiritual, but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin

So Paul is telling us here that he is sold as a slave to sin
So, is he speaking as a Christian? Or is he telling us of the consequences of when he strove to obey the written law/was under the law and therefore was not a Christian?

Don't you know that when ypou offer yourselves to someone to obey them as slaves you are slaves to the one whom you obey-WHETHER YOU ARE SLAVES TO SIN, WHICH LEADS TO DEATH, or to obediance that leads to life
1 Cor 6:16

So according to Paul's own words if he is speaking as a Christian in verse 14 of ch 7 he is doomed and heading for death

For I do not understand what I do, for what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate to do.

And if I do what I do not want to do I AGREE THAT THE LAW IS GOOD
As it is it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.
verses 15-17

So, if some are right Paul as a Christian is doing what he does not want to do, but what he hates doing, notice he says that he agrees the law is good while this is going on.
So sin is in charge of Paul. He is doing clearly what he does not want to do.

But in Rom 6:14 Paul says

Sin shall not be our master for we are not under law but under grace
Sin is clearly Paul's master for it forces him to do what he does not want to do.

I know that nothing good lives in me that is in my sinful nature, for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out
For what I do is not the good I want to do, no, but the evil I do not want to do, thjis I keep on doing
Now if I do what I dpo not want to do, it is no longer I who is doing it, but it is sin living in me that does it
verses 18-20

So are we saying that Paul as a Christian cannot do the good he desires to do?
Instead of doing the good he desires to do he instead does the evil things he does not want to do

Does this sound like someone who knows that sin is not his master, for he is not under law but under grace?

For in my inner being, I delighjt IN GOD'S LAW, but I see another law at work in the members of my body(verse 5), waging war against the law of my mind AND MAKING ME A PRISONER OF THE LAW OF SIN at work within my members

verses 22&23

So Paul here ius a prisoner of sin, and a slkave to sin, let me once again quote some verses of Paul's in pother chapters

For sin shall not be your master, for you are not under law but under grace
Rom 6:14

Do we then nullify the law by this faith(grace) not at all! Rather we uphold the law
Rom 3:31

Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to lobney them as slaves you become a slave to the one you obney, whether you are slaves to sin which leads to death, or to obediance which leads to righteousness
1 Cor 6:16

Therefore brothjers we have an obligation-but it is not to the sinful nature. FOR IF YOU LIVE ACCORDING TO THE SINFUL NATURE YOU WILL DIE
But if by the spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the bnody you will live
Rom 8:12&13

Poor Paul, in Roms ch 7
he was a slave of sin and a prisoner of sin so he is doomed if we believe some

I could go on but I have written enough. Many will simply cast all this aside, they have to, because to them they just want to cling to the knowledge they believe they have striven to know and by great effort aquired
But I am confident that those led by the Holy Spirit will understand that Paul's torture here is concern ing striving to obey the written law and his dismal faluire to do so. He explained in verses 7-11 that the law condemned him though he strove to obey it, obviojusly it would leaver him in the flames of anguish he then spoke of later in the chapter
 
It is a common mistake that people interpret chapter 7 to be Pauls pre-regenerate state

However language does not allow us to do this.

Oh what a wretched man I am. Who will (future tense) deliever me from this BODy of death.

We know from chapter 8 Paul considers the body dead, but the spirit alive because of Christ.

Rom 8 : 10 But if Christ is in you,
although the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is alive because of righteousness

Thus paul is speaking of a future delivering, when the OSN is removed.

Second. Paul says with the mind he will serve Christ. With the flesh he will serve sin. This is a present condition. Not a pre-regenerate condition. Because Paul could not serve Christ pre-regenerate. nor did he even believe in him.
 
It is a common mistake that people interpret chapter 7 to be Pauls pre-regenerate state

However language does not allow us to do this.

Oh what a wretched man I am. Who will (future tense) deliever me from this BODy of death.

We know from chapter 8 Paul considers the body dead, but the spirit alive because of Christ.

Rom 8 : 10 But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is alive because of righteousness

Thus paul is speaking of a future delivering, when the OSN is removed.

Second. Paul says with the mind he will serve Christ. With the flesh he will serve sin. This is a present condition. Not a pre-regenerate condition. Because Paul could not serve Christ pre-regenerate. nor did he even believe in him.


So by striving to obey the law as a Christian Paul's mind became full of lust and concupiscence(sexual desire) and he was put him to death and slain
 
Last edited:
Don't be frightened to accept in Roms 7 that Paul was talking about his life BEFORE he became a Christian, believing that sin in you would therefore condemn you, that is not what this is about. I have NEVER SAID anyone will be perfect in the flesh whilst they walk this earth

But if any of you have got sin issues that have never been dealt with and deep down you have much guilt concerning them, understand the grace that gave Paul the victory he had over much sin in his life

Scripture says he was consumed by lust and concupiscence, but look how he changed, and all of you can too if you believe in the grace Paul did. He was as human as you and I are, but the victory he had you can have too. There is POWER in the truth

If you are enchained in any sin you hate you obviously are a sincere Christian, but think about whether you are TRULY living in grace or just believe you are. It is Christ's responsibility to change you, not your own, and he will do it if you live in the grace Paul did, there is no need for sin to be your master, but that does not mean you will be perfect in the flesh.
 
So by striving to obey the law as a Christian Paul's mind became full of lust and concupiscence(sexual desire) and he was put him to death and slain

This does not explain tense of the verbs used. Paul could not with the mind serve Christ pre-conversion.

Paul also stated his body was dead due to sin. Which he reiterated in chapter 8. Which he was speaking present tense.

As for trying to obay the law. He stated truth. When we are told no, it arouses our curiosity and our flesh. And we want to do it more. Tell a kid not to do something, So how hard they want to do it. Where as if you did not say do not do it, they probably would not have thought about it..

This is what paul meant when he said sin increased.

This is also what he means when he said set your minds on the spirit and you will not fullfill the lusts of the flesh. You can not thinks spiritual things and fleshly things at the same time, If your not thinking of lust. you will not do it. WHen you think of it you are tempted. And if you continue thinking of it. You may fall.
 
This does not explain tense of the verbs used. Paul could not with the mind serve Christ pre-conversion.
Of course he could not serve Christ pre conversion
Paul also stated his body was dead due to sin. Which he reiterated in chapter 8. Which he was speaking present tense.

I never said we are perfect in the flesh

As for trying to obay the law. He stated truth. When we are told no, it arouses our curiosity and our flesh. And we want to do it more. Tell a kid not to do something, So how hard they want to do it. Where as if you did not say do not do it, they probably would not have thought about it..

I wrote about that in my long post on ch 7

This is what paul meant when he said sin increased.

This is also what he means when he said set your minds on the spirit and you will not fullfill the lusts of the flesh. You can not thinks spiritual things and fleshly things at the same time, If your not thinking of lust. you will not do it. WHen you think of it you are tempted. And if you continue thinking of it. You may fall.
Yes, if we are looking to Jesus in our hearts, and trusting in him
, wanting to follow him, we cannot at the same time be desiring to fulfill the desires of the flesh

But the question still remains

As a Christian did Paul strive to obey the law and his mind become full of lust and concupiscence as a result of this, and he was slain and put to death?
 
But the question still remains

As a Christian did Paul strive to obey the law and his mind become full of lust and concupiscence as a result of this, and he was slain and put to death?

The question is romans 7 concerning Pauls pre-regenerate life. Or his life at the time he wrote romans 7.

Tense and language shows it is the latter

 
The question is romans 7 concerning Pauls pre-regenerate life. Or his life at the time he wrote romans 7.

Tense and language shows it is the latter

EG



Paul strove to obey the law and his mind become full of lust and concupiscence, as a result of this, and he was then slain and put to death as a result. Did this happen before he became a Christian or when he was a Christian?
Did the law condemn Paul as a Christian, or before he became a Christian?

I will not ask you this question again if you choose not to answer it.
 
Last edited:
EG

Paul strove to obey the law and his mind become full of lust and concupiscence, as a result of this, and he was then slain and put to death as a result. Did this happen before he became a Christian or when he was a Christian?
Did the law condemn Paul as a Christian, or before he became a Christian?

I will not ask you this question again if you choose not to answer it.

It condemns him to death today. Just like it condemns you to death today and me and everyone else.

So we are just supposed to IGNORE language?? Plus you forget this!

Rom 8 : 10 But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is alive because of righteousness

Did Paul mean before he bacame christian, or after??

Paul is saying the our spirit is alive because of Christ. But our body is DEAD because of sin. The law still condemns our bodies.