Celebrations and Events

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Hello All,
I wondered what were your thoughts on celebrating Mother's/ Father's day.
With Mother's day looming in the UK some work colleagues asked if Christians celebrated these events.
I work with a Jehovah's Witness and she said she don't celebrate them because they are pagan holidays.

What does the Bible says of this?
I know we should honour/respect our parents and parents should treat their children right but I read that as all the time not just on a certain day.
Thanks for your help 🥰

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The very first thing popping into my mind is: Honor thy father and thy mother.: So both days are worthy of celebrating.

rrcn

Oct 15, 2023
Hello All,
With Mother's day looming in the UK some work colleagues asked if Christians celebrated these events.
I work with a Jehovah's Witness and she said she don't celebrate them because they are pagan holidays.

I know we should honour/respect our parents and parents should treat their children right but I read that as all the time not just on a certain day.
Thanks for your help 🥰
[Eph 6:2 KJV] 2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)

This quote is from the Ten Commandments:
“ [Exo 20:12 KJV] 12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.”

At the pivotal point in the history of the world, hanging on the cross Jesus provided for his mother:

[Jhn 19:25-27 KJV] 25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the [wife] of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! 27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own [home].

So don’t let anyone confuse the issue. Historically Mother’s Day came from Greek and Roman pagan traditions,, so various organized event may be discerned as not a good idea, but mothers came from God.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hello All,

Thanks for your help 🥰
As a Christian, I would not take any advice from a JW on what to celebrate.

Consider this: celebrating a non-religious event such as Mother’s Day is very different from celebrating the “special occasion” of a false religion such as Ramadan.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
As a Christian, I would not take any advice from a JW on what to celebrate.

Consider this: celebrating a non-religious event such as Mother’s Day is very different from celebrating the “special occasion” of a false religion such as Ramadan.
Thanks all for your help 🥰
I know, never take advice from JW 😊

I was just wondering if the Bible ever talks about Mother/Father's day or if that is just something people have made up.

rrcn

Oct 15, 2023
Thanks all for your help 🥰
I know, never take advice from JW 😊

I was just wondering if the Bible ever talks about Mother/Father's day or if that is just something people have made up.
In many respects the modern methods of celebration involve the exchange of money for a fitting present.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Hello All,

Thanks for your help 🥰
Did this not start (UK) in the 1600's called and I think this one word says it all "Mothering day". And then Fathers day was not until 1970's

Finally, believers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable and worthy of respect, whatever is right and confirmed by God’s word, whatever is pure and wholesome, whatever is lovely and brings peace, whatever is admirable and of good repute; if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think continually on these things [center your mind on them, and implant them in your heart.

So be it Mothering day or Fathers day I will gladly celebrate. Bless you

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Did this not start (UK) in the 1600's called and I think this one word says it all "Mothering day". And then Fathers day was not until 1970's

Finally, believers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable and worthy of respect, whatever is right and confirmed by God’s word, whatever is pure and wholesome, whatever is lovely and brings peace, whatever is admirable and of good repute; if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think continually on these things [center your mind on them, and implant them in your heart.

So be it Mothering day or Fathers day I will gladly celebrate. Bless you
I believe Mother's day came from the US.
As it's not mentioned in the Bible I guess it's not important 😊

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
So here's the thing.
Sometimes i celebrate without a reason on the calendar. Why? Because i'm grateful to God and i enjoy the day and the moment and i go on vacation with the family on a random day without notice.
And sometimes i don't celebrate an actual calendar holiday because i did it on another day, un-scheduled. And some other times i celebrate an actual holiday that's on the calendar.
All these actions or approaches are not to be seen as right/wrong but in-gratefulness to God. Every moment that we have we should be thankful not fearful if we're making a mistake because gratefulness is a sign of love we give to God for providing all these things for us, including the food on the table.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Anything not sinful is by definition lawful. So it is allowed.
Anything not of faith is sin. So it is possible to do lawful things in an unlawful way.
Regardless of what we do, it should be for the glory of God; even such mundane things as eating and drinking.
So celebrate or do not celebrate to the glory of God in either case.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Hello All,

Thanks for your help 🥰
I don’t think the Bible addresses modern secular holidays

Also I couldn’t imagine how it would be wrong somehow to celebrate a birthday or Mother’s Day Easter ect as long as we understand they aren’t biblical holidays or anything people create those later Christian’s said “ hey let’s celebrate a day for the resurrection spring seems like a new life type deal let’s do it in April “

I don’t see any wrong in it to make a special day to celebrate the resurrection and honor Jesus but it’s not a biblical thing we’re taught to do we should live every day appreciating parents and people and especially Gods love and perfection towards us I think humans have a desire to make holidays and celebratory events is all that really is

theres going to be a huge celebration in eternity gotta be careful about legalism when it comes to Christianity or it just becomes the law of Moses

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
Hello All,

Thanks for your help 🥰
Don't let that JW suck you in. They are a false religion and once you're in its very hard to get out. I feel sorry for them and those they have duped.

As for the holidays, there is nothing wrong with celebrating them.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
I'm not a huge fan of these particular secular holidays; I think they kind of alienate orphans.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
You are right, you do have to watch out for JW's (but never hate them) you also have to watch out for so call Christians who can quote scripture at you but who is full of hate and insults for everyone who doesn't think like they do. To me that is not following Christ. As Christ to me is loving, kind, patient, forgiving the list goes on. One thing I never get from Christ is hate towards people in fact he seems up the Ten Commandments beautifully love God and love people 🥰

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Hello All,

Thanks for your help 🥰
mothers & fathers days are not holidays at all. the "honor your father & mother" commandment teaches us to love our parents in every way. especially if a child was raised very lovingly, i totally agree with the celebration of those days. as for me, my parents beat us up tremendously, so much all the neighbors knew it & the whole city knew it. when an adult, i would spend time with them on f. & m. day but it was meaningless. out of respect i did it, but my heart wasn't there. same for my brothers. at my mom's funeral, 1 person showed up!

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Hello All,

Thanks for your help 🥰
If they're part of the culture and no harm in them (e.g. honouring one's father and mother), why get rid of them? Tradition and heritage can be good things.

The New Testament fulfilled many of the celebrations and rituals of the Old Testament, but Paul didn't force people to cancel these for the sake of cancelling them. He explained these were fulfilled in Christ, but it wasn't a problem to keep the traditions for their own sake.