Coffee: One of the greatest beverages, or the greatest beverage?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What kind of coffee do you like best?

• I like all kinds of coffee!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I can't stand coffee!

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Regular Coffee

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Bold coffee

• Caramel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • French Vanilla

• Hazelnut

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Irish Cream

• Amaretto

• Espresso

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
The extremes from the bible have no middle truth. One sin is enough to throw the whole world off kilter. We make think that is extreme. but God does not.
The same goes for diet. The bible states what the diet is that God designed for us. You may think it is extreme, but God did not.
The problem is we have fallen so far for so long that even though the bible clearly states what God has given us as a way to live, we consider in our heart and mind extreme.

"White lies" anyone?
This is just a curious question for you.... Are you a vegan?

A

AuntieAnt

This thread is a great example of the CC forum, before and after.

Before: A light-hearted thread about coffee.
After: A bunch of recrimination, complete with religious tie-ins and hyperbole.

Go back and read the posts from 2009. Then read the posts from this week (in this thread or frankly in almost all the threads currently active on the forum.) It's like night and day.

These days no matter what you say on the CC forum, somebody will promptly disagree and then hammer the disagreement home with a lot of blarney.
Well, I feel somewhat responsible, Lynx because I jumped on the bandwagon with my lighthearted, silly image of a tee-shirt with the coffee slogan on it. That pretty much got the thread going again.

Nevertheless, I get your drift about it going south, as it apparently became more of a moralistic thread. :p

Information is power.
My people perish because of a lack of knowledge.
i guess ignorance really is bliss.
I don’t know about information being power so much, but I do know there’s no greater power than God. It is the Truth of Jesus Christ which sets us free.

Ignorance is not bliss, except in the case where we ignore the ways of the world and ignore our own understanding and instead, submit to God.

Which of you, by being anxious, can add one moment to his lifespan? I tell you, do not worry about your life, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you.” [Matthew 6]

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, do not lean on your own understanding, in ALL your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your path. [Proverbs 3]

Acknowledging God means to submit wholly to Him, open ourselves up, lay bare our hearts so the Lord can reveal the motives of our hearts to us. It is to become intimate with Him.

What would be the motive of our heart to be for or against coffee? Isn’t that a silly question? C’mon now, folks! What in the world does it matter? God said, "Don’t worry about it." He tells us that the world concerns themselves with the outward man. And the Lord tells us NOT to concern ourselves with it.

When the disciples ate food with dirty hands, the Pharisees asked Jesus about it. And the Lord answered, “It is not what goes into the body that defiles a person, it’s what comes out of a person. Evil thoughts such as: jealousy, thoughtlessness, arrogance, deception, greed, slander, sexual immorality, lewdness, murder, evil eye (looking for trouble). These are what defile a person.

Was Jesus telling the truth? If He was, then there is no righteousness in being for or against coffee. There’s no righteousness in trying to save your life as if your body is a museum specimen.

It’s one thing to share our thoughts on a matter and exchange healthy ideas in love and gentleness. But we shouldn’t let our personal preferences get in the way of loving and having tolerance for one another. Let’s not let any negative thoughts, narrowmindedness, and selfrighteous defile our friendship and fellowship. When people seeking the Lord come onto this site, let them see a body of believers who are alive in the love of Jesus Christ.

the Church.jpg

A

AuntieAnt

BTW, there is a psychological and emotional component here.
First, simply put, some people don't like to be told they are wrong.
Also, if someone tells you that what you are eating is not good for you, and you actually believe the evidence, but still continue to indulge in that food, you have guilt. Nobody likes guilt, so it is easier for them to rationalize away why they can eat so and so food.
I totally agree with you that nobody likes to be wrong and nobody likes guilt. It's humiliating and emotional bondage. But the Lord Jesus died and set us free from all of that guilt and shame. How we can appropriate that liberty is by believing Him above our own understanding. It is by living not by might nor by our own power, but by the Spirit of the Lord. There is liberty in trusting in the righteousness of Christ Jesus. Hallelujah! \:)/

R

renewed_hope

I live, love, dream for coffee!!! It all started about 24 years ago at Grandma's house. I would take turns with my cousins to spend the weekend with Grandma and Grandpa. In the mornings she would wake us up and go into the kitchen and make breakfast that usually consisted of huge chocolate chip pancakes and our "secret" coffee. Her coffee had about 1/4 C of coffee and about a cup of milk and sugar. To this day I drink my coffee and think of all the memories my late Grandma and I had❤

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I am a human, but eat vegan.
For about 5 years I was all raw, but now am about 75% - 80% only.
Why?
Ah, THAT explains it!

JosephsDreams you might want to mention this fact whenever you lambast something like you blasted coffee. It would help readers understand the reason for your vituperation.

A

AuntieAnt

I live, love, dream for coffee!!! It all started about 24 years ago at Grandma's house. I would take turns with my cousins to spend the weekend with Grandma and Grandpa. In the mornings she would wake us up and go into the kitchen and make breakfast that usually consisted of huge chocolate chip pancakes and our "secret" coffee. Her coffee had about 1/4 C of coffee and about a cup of milk and sugar. To this day I drink my coffee and think of all the memories my late Grandma and I had❤
That's so beautiful, renewed_hope! :eek:

Can you believe my momma used a glass stovetop coffee percolator with a metal basket inside? That was back in the mid-60's. She always had that thing cooking on the stove when we had a houseful of company. You're so right, that brings back such lovely memories of precious family moments. :)

il_340x270.1437145569_6lv1.jpg

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yeah, saying "caffeine is bad for you" I don't mind. Comparing it to cocaine, alcohol and tobacco... that is a bit ridiculous. And the repeated references to disrespecting our Temples (our bodies) implies REAL christians shouldn't be drinking coffee - making it a religious thing.

If you want to say caffeine is bad for you, that's one thing. If you go to extremes to make your point, you lose a lot of people. Like me. When you try to make caffeine seem as bad as doing cocaine, when oldthennew tried to make it seem holy to eschew caffeine, I stopped listening.
There is nothing holy about refraining from coffee. The health benefits far outweigh any negative stuff. It certainly is not sinful to drink coffee. Chocolate has health benefits too. I'm trending towards dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The way some people feel about coffee they would believe that your grandparents contributed to the delinquency of a minor by allowing you imbibe a possible evil beverage.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Ah, THAT explains it!

JosephsDreams you might want to mention this fact whenever you lambast something like you blasted coffee. It would help readers understand the reason for your vituperation.
I used to be quite a vituperator myself until I discovered this truth:

Mark 7
7:15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
7:16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.
7:17 And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.
7:18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, [it] cannot defile him;
7:19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
7:20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Still, I promise to do my best to refrain from Kit-Kats, pig meat, and coffee when near a known vegan.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Ah, THAT explains it!

Why? It doesn’t change the facts about anything I posted, does it?

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
There is nothing holy about refraining from coffee. The health benefits far outweigh any negative stuff. It certainly is not sinful to drink coffee. Chocolate has health benefits too. I'm trending towards dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate.
The science proves otherwise. Just because you say it or want to believe it does not make it so. In fact if you were in a room with people educated in this field, you would be summerily dismissed if you could not provide evidence.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
I used to be quite a vituperator myself until I discovered this truth:

Mark 7
7:15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
7:16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.
7:17 And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.
7:18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, [it] cannot defile him;
7:19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
7:20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Still, I promise to do my best to refrain from Kit-Kats, pig meat, and coffee when near a known vegan.
I have heard all these arguments from Christians before. Like I said, you will find a way to rationalize and use the Bible out of context. Real simple; do you want to be the best you can be? Do you want to realize your full physical, mental and spiritual potential?
Do you want to be more finely tuned spiritually? Do you want to be around s little longer to help your kids, grand kids and family? So you can be a positive force for advancing His kingdom?

Do you want to live (prescription) drug free, without severely compromised health?

i could go on and on about the benefits of taking care of yourself.

Suffice to say that if you don’t care about anything that I stated above then keep eating like you are.

God made you. He designed a specific diet for you.
Do you want to ignore Him? Or honor him by doing the best you can to care for the special gift of your mind, body and spirit?

Last edited:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I’m at the movie theatre and I noticed they don’t serve coffee at the concession stand. The person working at the concession stand said that people ask her about coffee all the time. They should serve coffee! :p

Dec 28, 2016
Nah. I don't have a coffe drinking problem at all...

It goes down rather easily...

Dec 28, 2016
See, I told you I don't have a coffee drinking problem at all...

NosireeBob...

Dec 16, 2012
She said it; do you want your energy via the kreb cycle or from adrenal stimulation? Coffee over time will also damage nerve receptors

I am so glad you get it! Fantastic information has nothing to do with preaching, being religious or hyperbole. It's vital science and health factual education being made available to a much wider audience online than for those who aren't interested in listening. One of the major problems with caffeine is that it masks fatigue. To break it down: How does caffeine work? Caffeine is a pesticide. It's a naturally occurring pesticide in that little coffee or cacao plant that is to stop animals from eating too many of the seeds, because if you eat the seed, crush it up, the plant can't reproduce. So that seed, the caffeine, is a pesticide that kills animals who eat large dosages. So what happens is when humans eat caffeine we don't die but the body goes 'WOW' it's a neuro toxin, a poison but it's actually classified botanically as a neurotoxin so that damage can kill brain cells. When you consume caffeine, or theobromine which is in cacao, chocolate etc the body goes 'whoosh' *neurotoxin* and it releases adrenaline. what does adrenaline do? It pushes the fight - flight hormone. It pushes sugar into the cell giving you a boost of energy. It also vasodilates your arteries and increases your blood flow.

Caffeine = neurotoxin = adrenaline. Most people fail to understand how caffeine or theobromine works. They just say
"yeah i'm tired, boom have some coffee, caffeine"
and they don't question it. So when you have these stimulants, you're masking fatigue. You're delaying your growth hormone response. because when you're tired you should get some water, fruit or have a nap - restore, regenerate, replenish. Significant distinction between replenishing and getting a jolt of false energy. So this idolization of coffee "I live for coffee" "i have x number of cups of coffee a day" is a reminder of why these discussions are so necessary. Lifestyles need to be adjusted as all coffee does is bring you up a false level and then drops you off significantly, eventually you're going to have pay that depreciated affect, that masked fatigue. Caffeine can be likened to a credit card, you buy that shiny looking object called 'energy' today but you're going to be paying back in interest later on. "I don't' care, i just want it now, i just need it now!" Remember, you'll be paying it back. That's why when people get off the caffeine and join the raw, vegan lifestyle, they might gain some weight because their metabolism is thrashed, they don't sleep, their brain is just on fast forward and they're strung out.

I would recommend saying goodbye to caffeine for a good period of time, understanding that these are neurotoxins and it's a social drug - coffee is associated with the social scene and you can see the addictions it breeds with 3 or 4 cups a day. Instead of drinking what is botanically classified as a neurotoxin several times a day with follow up damage, drinking cold, clear, fresh spring water instead - the benefits are for the brain, body and life long term.