Did Jesus take the punishment for our sins?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 24, 2012
When Jesus was on the cross (and maybe before) did He take the punishment for our sins?

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021
When Jesus was on the cross (and maybe before) did He take the punishment for our sins?
In the scriptures it's written about Jesus in Isaiah 53: 1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Let's go to end because Jesus says in John 19: 28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. 29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

So if you can understand these scriptures and put these verses together, you should get your answer.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Lets put it this way

If jesus, the lamb of God, did not take our sins on the cross.

We are still dead in our sin.. and dependent on animal sacrifice, which could never take away sin..

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
Yes He did. In order to save the sheep, He not only had to die in their place, He had to endure His Father's Wrath being poured out on Him so the sheep would not have to endure this Wrath.

It started that night in the garden of Gethsemane - as the sins of His people were being legally attributed to Him. This was over whelming and He began to sweat blood. Upon the cross - darkness fell upon the land for about three hours while God's Wrath was poured out on Him. This was so intense that Jesus died shortly there after.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
look to the term “ propitiation “

“My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭2:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
His Shed Blood covered all sin for all time and took it's punishment of death and eternal Hell --so no other sacrifice was needed for anyone who Receives Jesus in their heart -----Jesus did shed blood from the Cross from His hands and feet from the nails and also from His side -----but before the Cross He shed Blood in the Garden of Gethsemane ----from the crown of thorns on His head ---when he was punched and beaten by the soldiers and from the Flogging on His back ---

And many do not talk about this -----the 7 places that Jesus shed His Blood has significance ---

Read all here ---Just posted short parts of this ----

https://nathanandemilia.wordpress.com/2016/02/29/seven-places-jesus-shed-his-blood-its-significance/

1) The Sweating of Blood (In the garden of Gethsemane)
Luke 22:40-44-----This signifies that Jesus Won Back Our Willpower to resist temptation because He overcame the greatest temptation that was so intense, it caused Him to sweat blood.

2) The stripes on Jesus back and shedding of blood at the whipping post.
John 19:1 and Isaiah 53:5------This signifies that Jesus has won back our Health. His body was broken so ours could be made whole.

3) He was bruised and suffered Internal bleeding from being beaten.
Isaiah 53:5 ------This signifies that Jesus won back our right standing with God & delivered us from our iniquities (Wickedness/Sin)

4) The shedding of blood when receiving the Crown of Thorns upon his head.
John 19:2 ------ This signifies that Jesus has won back our Peace of mind and that we are free of torment. The enemy can no longer torment our minds.

5) The blood that was shed through Jesus’ Pierced Hands.
Matt 27:35 ------. This signifies that Jesus won back our prosperity so that everything we put our hands to, shall prosper.

6) The blood that was shed through Jesus’ Pierced Feet.
Matt 27:35----Luke 10:19 and Genesis 1:26----- This signifies that Jesus won back our dominion & authority

7) The blood that was shed through the spear in Jesus side.
John 19:34 ------This signifies that Jesus won back our Joy and healed us of our broken Hearts.

I say -----How great is this -----Thanks Be to God --------

L

Locoponydirtman

Yes.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Read Isa 53 John 3.. He loved this world more then man knows. No one has a clue to just how much He loves you

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021
Lets put it this way

If jesus, the lamb of God, did not take our sins on the cross.

We are still dead in our sin.. and dependent on animal sacrifice, which could never take away sin..
Paul explained this in; (Hebrews 10: (v.1) For the law (what law, the law of animal sacrifice?) having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. (v.9) Then said he, (Jesus) Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first that he may establish the second. (v.10) By which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: 12 but this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; 13 from henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. 14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

The point that is not understood is that we all have sin, but until Jesus came, there was no way of getting out from under your sins. So God institute a Priesthood and laws that went with the priesthood to control the sinning, and so the Lord use animal Sacrificial laws, even though it could not remove sins.

When Jesus died on the cross that was the end of the first covenant, which consisted of the blood of animals and the keeping of God’s commandments. And his death also brought in the second covenant, which consist of the blood of Jesus and the keeping of God’s commandments. (v.18) Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. In other words, no more animals are going to die for your sins. (20) by a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; (21) and having an high priest over the house of God; (v.26) For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.

Now do we understand what’s being said here? If you sin willfully after you have knowledge of what the truth is, no more animals are going to die for you. (v.27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Now if you are being deceived into believing that once you are under God’s grace you no longer have to keep his commandments, all you have to look forward to is the day of judgement and the lake of fire (fiery indignation).

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
Exactly what punishment did the Messiah take that would otherwise have to be taken by us?

Jun 12, 2021
Exactly what punishment did the Messiah take that would otherwise have to be taken by us?
https://spreadthegospel59.wordpress...s-powerful-how-do-we-receive-the-holy-spirit/

This is what Jesus had to take on the cross spiritually only for God's elects. Bottom explains it.

https://spreadthegospel59.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/heaven-and-hell/

Hell and Lake of fire bible verses

Lake of fire Revelation 20:15

A horrible tempest Psalm 11:6

A devouring fire Isaiah 33:14

A place of everlasting burnings Isaiah 33:14

A furnace of fire Matthew 13:42

A place of torments Luke 16:23

Lazarus and the rich man Luke 16:19-31

Extreme Dehydration, rich man begs for a drop of water.

Luke 16:24

King James Version (KJV)

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

You would experience about less than 1% of Hell, if you went to a desert with no water for hours dehydrated=having a dry mouth. I have been to a desert and I experienced what it is like.

A place of everlasting punishment Matthew 25:46

A place of no forgiveness Matthew 12:32

A place of weeping and gnashing of teeth Matthew 8:12

A place of outer darkness Matthew 8:12

A place of no rest Revelation 14:11

A place of blackness and darkness forever Jude 13

A place where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched

https://www.gotquestions.org/worm-will-not-die.html

"a nagging, guilty conscience that, like a persistent worm, gnaws away at its victim with a remorse that can never be mitigated."

Mark 9:48

A place where people are tormented with fire and brimstone Revelation 14:10

A place from which the smoke of people’s torment ascends up forever Revelation 14:11

Proverbs 27:20

King James Version (KJV)

20 Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

May 8, 2023
John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!"

Baldr

May 20, 2023
don't be blinded by the light! Remember god said let there be light! Sound came first! God 1d his word 2d the light made a by product of sound the 3d we see and perceive.
Do you close your eyes to pray? Why because you are listening carefully as he does.

Baldr

May 20, 2023
https://spreadthegospel59.wordpress...s-powerful-how-do-we-receive-the-holy-spirit/

This is what Jesus had to take on the cross spiritually only for God's elects. Bottom explains it.

King James Version (KJV)

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and coo
its called nothing, the word hell comes from the norse daughter of loki hela! The goddess of the under world that all wiil go through even the gods must pass in helas world sending her daughter to pick. Wolf time, sword time, sheld time, axe time. Time is norse for the angels of battle. If Christianity is truth explain how we use a germanic norse week form? Monday is moonday, Tuesday is tyrs day the one who scirficed his had to save the world from the devil's spawn fenrir. Wednesday day is the germanic norse pronunciation of odin wodans day Thursday is thors day the day of odins word. Friday is freyjas day that's odins counter part njord to jord. And Saturday we'll it means the wash day to cleans one self for odins favourite son bladr his child of light. Do you ever kiss under mistletoe? It's to do with loki being jealous of him and going to land of youtimihim then found the noors and found his only weakness mistletoe. That is why you kiss under mistletoe to try revive baldrs light on the 25th so the sun will rise that 1 degree after 25th. I am open to have deductions. Thus is not your wrong I'm wright ect. I use to live in a Christian hostel and cook in kitchen, and worked in 5 star hotels and I made deal with bethany Christian trust and got all food giving to the homeless. Believe and faith is personal. But sharing and kindness is hard work, it is easy to be evil but being good is mindful. In compete darkness we are all the same it is knowledge and wisdom is how we shine.

You would experience about less than 1% of Hell, if you went to a desert with no water for hours dehydrated=having a dry mouth. I have been to a desert and I experienced what it is like.

"a nagging, guilty conscience that, like a persistent worm, gnaws away at its victim with a remorse that can never be mitigated."

A place from which the smoke of people’s torment ascends up forever Revelation 14:11

King James Version (KJV)

Baldr

May 20, 2023
Yes it is a point of view I was Christian from very young age and travelled went to Vatican went to blue mousek and seen the only Christian church in Israel that is protected buy a old order of Muslim bodyguards. The holy trinity Jewish, Christian and Islam. The holy crusades was not for the ark but to kill of the tartaria people that hid in Ireland and us the scottish were the last defensive of the old world. Why else would Ower entire country being slaved? The only reason is we hold old knowledge that is brainwashed to be evil but not. 666 is the code for carbon-12 the make up of all life on earth, 6 protons, 6 electrons, 6 neutrons joing the dots makes the star of David. Or look up lucifer morningstar hymms sung in the Vatican!
I am not saying this as hate or nothing.ive read the bible back to front many times. book of enok. If you go to a church with a ring in the middle of the cross that is the kelitc cross that's pagan symbol.
Yes He did. In order to save the sheep, He not only had to die in their place, He had to endure His Father's Wrath being poured out on Him so the sheep would not have to endure this Wrath.

It started that night in the garden of Gethsemane - as the sins of His people were being legally attributed to Him. This was over whelming and He began to sweat blood. Upon the cross - darkness fell upon the land for about three hours while God's Wrath was poured out on Him. This was so intense that Jesus died shortly there after.
You know Jesus is the sun not son I. The old days when translated it was know as the lazy u. In old Italian it talk about him being the sun not son. Or the hiden book of James in the underground liberty in Israel.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023

I can only find scripture that says Jesus suffered for our sins, I can't find any scripture that says Jesus took the punishment for our sins.

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021

King James Version (KJV)

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

King James Version (KJV)

Good Verses showing the lake of fire which is the second death.......If Jesus didn't come and die or become a sin offering for mankind, all of mankind would have been put in the lake of fire, including, David, Solomon, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Elijah, etc. Paul says in Romans 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. This is talking about the first and second death.

Now let's take a look at what Paul says in Hebrews 10: (v.26) For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins. Now do we understand what’s being said here? If you sin willfully after you have knowledge of what the truth is, no more animals are going to die for you. (v.27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Now if you are being deceived into believing that once you are under God’s grace you no longer have to keep his commandments, all you have to look forward to is the day of judgement and the lake of fire (fiery indignation).