C
Sunday morning
Does anyone have a testimony?
Yes I took drugs.
I'm really confused, haha. Are these three sentences related to one another?
The title is so funny. I didn't get it at first.
We have that question almost every sunday. Does anyone have a testimony? (of what the Lord did last week)
Would be a weird testimony.
My church does that, too, so I got the reference.Sunday morning
Does anyone have a testimony?
Yes I took drugs.
I didn't get it at first either lol! I thought it was asking if you have to take drugs before giving your testimony.. just to calm you down I guess.
No. There was one point at which I had that thought for a brief moment, but I banished it quickly, and won't let it return.Do you ever feel like you don't have much to offer other people or the kingdom of God because you're a "plain vanilla" Christian?
My Mom and I were talking about this because my parents regularly hear all kinds of testimonies through their work. She told that she often feels like she doesn't have anything to offer anyone because she's doesn't have an incredibly intense testimony as so many Christians do. She was born and raised a Christian, married early, stayed at home to raise a family... and continues to be my Dad's faithful help mate every single day.
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm often blown away by the testimonies some people have--recovery from drug and alcohol addiction, surviving abandonment and raising kids amidst the turmoil, and several "there is no cure" medical issues that were miraculously healed.
I admire each and every person for the personal struggles God has helped them overcome.
But it leaves me feeling as if... I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute to the Christian circle. This is part of the reason why I continuously come back to CC to talk about what's on my heart--in real life, I mostly listen, because nothing I have to add is nearly as powerful, and I don't want to detract from someone else's testimony.
On the flip side, I've also had some Christian people tell me (in a condescending way) that I've had a very easy life (with the implication is that I must be "Christianity Lite", and only a fraction of the true Christian that they are because of their trials.) To some people, more suffering and trials means they rate higher as a Christian.
Now, I am certainly NOT saying that anyone with a powerful testimony this way, but it often seems to me as if the most extreme testimonies are also showcased at the church or in a Bible study. The person who was rescued from the most sordid things is usually asked to share, not the small town girl who simply became a housewife.
I know that we all have a testimony, and that it's all valuable to our Lord.
But do find yourself ever feeling as if... The "true" Christians are the ones who have suffered the most, and somehow, you're not worth nearly as much to God or other Christians because your life hasn't nearly been so "colorful"?
Hey Everyone,
Do you ever feel like you don't have much to offer other people or the kingdom of God because you're a "plain vanilla" Christian?
My Mom and I were talking about this because my parents regularly hear all kinds of testimonies through their work. She told that she often feels like she doesn't have anything to offer anyone because she's doesn't have an incredibly intense testimony as so many Christians do. She was born and raised a Christian, married early, stayed at home to raise a family... and continues to be my Dad's faithful help mate every single day.
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm often blown away by the testimonies some people have--recovery from drug and alcohol addiction, surviving abandonment and raising kids amidst the turmoil, and several "there is no cure" medical issues that were miraculously healed.
I admire each and every person for the personal struggles God has helped them overcome.
But it leaves me feeling as if... I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute to the Christian circle. This is part of the reason why I continuously come back to CC to talk about what's on my heart--in real life, I mostly listen, because nothing I have to add is nearly as powerful, and I don't want to detract from someone else's testimony.
On the flip side, I've also had some Christian people tell me (in a condescending way) that I've had a very easy life (with the implication is that I must be "Christianity Lite", and only a fraction of the true Christian that they are because of their trials.) To some people, more suffering and trials means they rate higher as a Christian.
Now, I am certainly NOT saying that anyone with a powerful testimony this way, but it often seems to me as if the most extreme testimonies are also showcased at the church or in a Bible study. The person who was rescued from the most sordid things is usually asked to share, not the small town girl who simply became a housewife.
I know that we all have a testimony, and that it's all valuable to our Lord.
But do find yourself ever feeling as if... The "true" Christians are the ones who have suffered the most, and somehow, you're not worth nearly as much to God or other Christians because your life hasn't nearly been so "colorful"?
I have a testimony which I've only shared with two people. And people who tell me they've been inspired or motivated by me or my life, have not heard about it. I think the point it, as great it is to have a life changing testimony, we ARE living testimonies.
I used to have wonder about that for a long long time (and I mean 8-9 years) because every time I was in a youth camp or something, people ask for testimonies and what I tell them was how our family got together. After that, I always think it wasn't MY testimony, it was my parents' or our family testimony. And I asked God what my testimony was. Not exactly prayed for it, but mentioned it when I was lost in thoughts. So, yeah I got my testimony (and I still find it too sensitive to share xD) but living every day is a testimony in itself. Our very lives, actually.
Also, there's a guy I know (well not really know like know, he's a famous preacher), Andrew Wommack, he says he's never gone through what most people are going through today like drugs, fornication, other forms of addiction, etc., never had terminal disease but grew up a church boy and just lived 'normal' - That is what he shares as his testimony.
I didn't get it at first either lol! I thought it was asking if you have to take drugs before giving your testimony.. just to calm you down I guess.
Everyone who hasn't used hard drugs isn't a real christian.
I find those testimonies awesome, especially from Michael Brown and Steve Hill and they're always on fire. But the ordinary ones prayed for them and lead them to the Lord.
Michael Brown, that was so funny. A woman wrote in her diary: Antichrist has come to church.
There are often times I wish there WERE drugs available to help me cope with certain "holier than thou" attitudes and downright insane ideas within people's interpretation of Christianity.
There are often times I wish there WERE drugs available to help me cope with certain "holier than thou" attitudes and downright insane ideas within people's interpretation of Christianity.
If you are struggling with people, there's something far better than drugs to help you deal with this: His Name is God - through faith, belief and deed, there's nothing He can't help you cope with and resolve. In this scenario again, drugs are obsolete.
I do know that I've been working very hard to turn from my sinful ways since becoming saved and while it is sometimes difficult, I don't think I achieved anything special just because I was a former user of illegal drugs and did all kinds of other sinful things.
There are often times I wish there WERE drugs available to help me cope with certain "holier than thou" attitudes and downright insane ideas within people's interpretation of Christianity.
If you are struggling with people, there's something far better than drugs to help you deal with this: His Name is God - through faith, belief and deed, there's nothing He can't help you cope with and resolve. In this scenario again, drugs are obsolete.