Does God want us to choose between law and grace?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 26, 2018
But Jesus preach never ending truths.
Jesus' words didn't end when He rose from the dead and sat at the right hand of God the Father.
EVERY word of God MUST be fulfilled.
The law of faith from the old testament was carried into the new. It did not die away with the old.
for example, whatsoever a man sows that shall he also reap.
Both Jesus and Paul said that.

1 Corinthians 15 King James Version (KJV)
15 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Dec 26, 2018
Paul states:
The power of sin is the law 1Cor15:56 The legally enforceable law with the power to condemn for imperfections concerning it.
The law that is holy, just and good Rom7:12
God did not abolish what was holy just and good, he did not have to, to remove the power of sin from believers lives. He created a new covenant.
It is no longer an external law written on tablets of stone, but an internal law written on tablets of human hearts(2cor3:3), meaning in the believers heart they want to live as God desires them to live. God put what was holy, just and good in believers hearts. At the same time he did this, he gave believers a saviour from their sin/transgressions of the law. (Herb10:15-17)They have no righteousness of obeying the law. Believers cannot use this as a licence to sin, for they in their hearts want to live according to what is written in those commandments, for that is where the law has been placed.
With the penalty of sin being removed from the believer, the power of sin is also removed, what is left, is simply what is holy, just and good.
The born again christians heartfelt desire to obey(for that is where the law has been placed) can now come to fruition, for what opposes obedience(sin) was dealt a rushing blow by Christ dying to remove its true power from the believers life(righteousness of obeying the law, and so Paul states:
For sin shall no longer be your master, for you are not under law(righteousness of obeying the law) but under grace(through faith in Christ)
Hence
Do we make void the law through faith? God forbid. Yea, we establish the law Rom3:31
Great message Paul had isn't it

Romans has always been my favorite

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

T

Tim416

Romans has always been my favorite

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Romans is my favourite book to:
Do we make void the law through faith? God forbid! Yea, we establish the law Rom3:31

Dec 26, 2018
Romans is my favourite book to:
Do we make void the law through faith? God forbid! Yea, we establish the law Rom3:31
What were Christ’s words on the cross? It is finished, yes he fulfilled the law

Romans 7:12-25 King James Version (KJV)

12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

O wretched man that I am!!

Dec 26, 2018
Paul states:
The power of sin is the law 1Cor15:56 The legally enforceable law with the power to condemn for imperfections concerning it.
The law that is holy, just and good Rom7:12
God did not abolish what was holy just and good, he did not have to, to remove the power of sin from believers lives. He created a new covenant.
It is no longer an external law written on tablets of stone, but an internal law written on tablets of human hearts(2cor3:3), meaning in the believers heart they want to live as God desires them to live. God put what was holy, just and good in believers hearts. At the same time he did this, he gave believers a saviour from their sin/transgressions of the law. (Herb10:15-17)They have no righteousness of obeying the law. Believers cannot use this as a licence to sin, for they in their hearts want to live according to what is written in those commandments, for that is where the law has been placed.
With the penalty of sin being removed from the believer, the power of sin is also removed, what is left, is simply what is holy, just and good.
The born again christians heartfelt desire to obey(for that is where the law has been placed) can now come to fruition, for what opposes obedience(sin) was dealt a rushing blow by Christ dying to remove its true power from the believers life(righteousness of obeying the law, and so Paul states:
For sin shall no longer be your master, for you are not under law(righteousness of obeying the law) but under grace(through faith in Christ)
Hence
Do we make void the law through faith? God forbid. Yea, we establish the law Rom3:31
Great message Paul had isn't it

Yes, Paul is human!

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

T

Tim416

What were Christ’s words on the cross? It is finished, yes he fulfilled the law

Romans 7:12-25 King James Version (KJV)

12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
Romans ch7 is an awesome chapter. It may sound strange, as much of it is about sin and defeat, but it is my favourite chapter.
Yes, Christ fulfilled the law, but he said he did not come to abolish it also.
Actually, the verses you quoted are quite contentious for many. Is Paul speaking of Saul the Pharisee or Paul the Christian in them?
Some say Romans is Paul's masterpiece, I love all his Epistles, but Romans is incredible

T

Tim416

This demonstrates that I was right not to answer your question. You're baiting, and when you don't get the answer you like, you post this c**p.

You have no business posting comments about others. Respond to EG if you like, but what you have done here is simply spread gossip born from your own twisted agenda. This isn't a tabloid page.
The comment was accurate. Ah yes, I asked you if desiring to sleep with your neighbours wife was sin. You chose not to answer, thank you for reminding me

T

Tim416

Yes, Paul is human!

If I may, Paul was indeed human, and every human has their faults/weaknesses. Spurgeon once said, we should not elevate the Apostles to such a place that is not achieveable(or something like that)

But the verses you quoted are interesting. Paul stated in rom6:16:

Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey – whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness

In ch7:14 he states:
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

Is Paul condemning himself, if he is speaking of his Christian life in ch7:14?

In ch6:17 Paul states:
But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance.
So if Paul the Christian is being spoken of in 7:14, are his readers living far holier lives than he is?

Paul's core message of grace and law was:
For sin shall no longer be your master for you are not under law but under grace Rom6:14
The man mentioned in 7:14-24 was assuredly a slave to sin, he said he was. A slave always has a master. So if sin was Paul's master in ch7:14-24, and he is speaking of his Christian life, that would seem at odds with his statement in 6:14. Let us not forget, in 7:14-24, he said he had the desire to do what was good but could not carry it out. He did not say, sometimes he did good and sometimes he did not did he
He could not do the good he wanted to do, but the evil he did not want to do this he kept on doing. Could Paul the Christian, living under grace not do any good when he wanted to do it? Its hard for me to accept that, when we take all his writings into account.
Of course, he does speak in the present tense, but then, people have said in those days present tense was often used when speaking of past events.
And of course, people will say if you believe saul the Pharisee is being spoken of you are proclaiming Christians are or must live perfect lives. That thought would not occur to me. But possibly, Christians live somewhere in the middle as it were, they are not always defeated, but neither are they anywhere near perfect. Just a view observations

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Till all be fulfilled......
Is all fulfilled?

The word fulfil in verse 17 = plēroō
play-ro'-o
From G4134; to make replete, that is, (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc.: - accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.

some of these words can be used to say Jesus came to do away with the law but many of the words can mean that Jesus came to uplift the law.
The opposite of destroy is to preserve.
I am not come to destroy, but to ..... finish the law, expire the law, end the law, these words don't fit.

I am not come to destroy, but to ..... replete = filled or well-supplied with something.

synonyms: filled, full, well stocked, well supplied, well provided, crammed, crowded, packed, jammed, stuffed, teeming, overflowing, bursting, brimful, brimming, loaded, overloaded, thick, solid, charged, abounding; More

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As long as this age yet exists, all cannot yet be fulfilled.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

This are about the law in verse 17, and 18 so you can presume that it is fulfilled and done away with but there is no logical evidence for this and verse 19 states that you will be called least in the kingdom for doing this.

Are you breaking and teaching other to break them, or teaching and doing these commandments?

Dec 26, 2018
If I may, Paul was indeed human, and every human has their faults/weaknesses. Spurgeon once said, we should not elevate the Apostles to such a place that is not achieveable(or something like that)

Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey – whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance.
So if Paul the Christian is being spoken of in 7:14, are his readers living far holier lives than he is?

For sin shall no longer be your master for you are not under law but under grace Rom6:14
The man mentioned in 7:14-24 was assuredly a slave to sin, he said he was. A slave always has a master. So if sin was Paul's master in ch7:14-24, and he is speaking of his Christian life, that would seem at odds with his statement in 6:14. Let us not forget, in 7:14-24, he said he had the desire to do what was good but could not carry it out. He did not say, sometimes he did good and sometimes he did not did he
He could not do the good he wanted to do, but the evil he did not want to do this he kept on doing. Could Paul the Christian, living under grace not do any good when he wanted to do it? Its hard for me to accept that, when we take all his writings into account.
Of course, he does speak in the present tense, but then, people have said in those days present tense was often used when speaking of past events.
And of course, people will say if you believe saul the Pharisee is being spoken of you are proclaiming Christians are or must live perfect lives. That thought would not occur to me. But possibly, Christians live somewhere in the middle as it were, they are not always defeated, but neither are they anywhere near perfect. Just a view observations
That is a fair observation, but if we are to consider, that Paul was speaking in the past tense, for this narrative, what is to say, he was speaking in the present tense for that narrative......if we do not consider the scripture

If your interested, i would like to go back to Romans 1:1 kjv, I would be happy to study with you....we can go through it together

T

Tim416

That is a fair observation, but if we are to consider, that Paul was speaking in the past tense, for this narrative, what is to say, he was speaking in the present tense for that narrative......if we do not consider the scripture

If your interested, i would like to go back to Romans 1:1 kjv, I would be happy to study with you....we can go through it together
That is a nice offer. However, it would take a lengthy amount of time to go through the whole of Romans, I think you may want to start a thread specifically for that. You may have to accept others wanting to quote other translations at times also.

T

Tim416

Outside of the internet, where people live their lives not dominated by ''theology'' almost all Christians would tell you, that if they stole, committed adultery, bore false witness, coveted they would be conscious they sinned by doing any of those things, and they would not tell you they were only conscious they did not love as they should. And, most on the internet, if they were honest would say the same. But the reality is not always peoples pet theologies. Theology can often be devoid of reality sadly. And biblical facts can often be overlooked, or ignored in the quest for understanding, or to cling to preconceived beliefs.
If you know in your mind such as mentioned is sin, and would have heartfelt conviction such was sin, that can only be because you are conscious of such sin through law placed within you.
And when people then say you are following law based salvation, condemnation under the law, it can only be through a failure to understand the very core foundation upon which the new covenant stands. That covenant states the law will be written in your mind and placed on your heart, and, your sins/transgression of the law will be remembered no more. If your transgressions will be remembered no more, you cannot be under the law of sin and death, that is not possible. You cannot be under the laws condemnation. You cannot be under righteousness of obeying the law/works of the law

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Just going to throw this out there and watch your debate. How are we aware of any post salvation sins? Like the ones 1 John 1:9 says we are to confess?
Thanks in advance.

P.s. if (and it is) the word heart is primarily used of our thinking, how does that fit in?
Outside of the internet, where people live their lives not dominated by ''theology'' almost all Christians would tell you, that if they stole, committed adultery, bore false witness, coveted they would be conscious they sinned by doing any of those things, and they would not tell you they were only conscious they did not love as they should. And, most on the internet, if they were honest would say the same. But the reality is not always peoples pet theologies. Theology can often be devoid of reality sadly. And biblical facts can often be overlooked, or ignored in the quest for understanding, or to cling to preconceived beliefs.
If you know in your mind such as mentioned is sin, and would have heartfelt conviction such was sin, that can only be because you are conscious of such sin through law placed within you.
And when people then say you are following law based salvation, condemnation under the law, it can only be through a failure to understand the very core foundation upon which the new covenant stands. That covenant states the law will be written in your mind and placed on your heart, and, your sins/transgression of the law will be remembered no more. If your transgressions will be remembered no more, you cannot be under the law of sin and death, that is not possible. You cannot be under the laws condemnation. You cannot be under righteousness of obeying the law/works of the law
If you look at the terms Paul uses to describe himself, you see an evolution to simple humility. Towards the end of his time his last description of himself is the “chief sinner.”

My favorite people have always been those with talent or prestige who treated the least around them with love and respect, kinda like Jesus,

I think that the greater Christian one believes themselves to be, the more blinded they are. Humility is key to understanding who God is, and who we are not. We are given a gift for a purpose, our job is to get with God and figure it out, and do it.

Think of the many times in Scripture God uses suffering to teach this humility, which causes one to be totally dependent upon Him. Suffering is not necessary, but alas our nature is so stubborn that is often the only way God can get through.

Theology is nice, all the doctrines and insights are wonderful, but if we can’t apply them with family, friends, neighbors, strangers and enemies, then it is an attempt to impress God and is no better than the motives of the Pharisee’s.

That’s where humility can correct and keep us on course.

Jul 23, 2018
They are one and the same.
One cannot enter into the kingdom of God without receiving the Gospel of Christ.
Paul was converted outside a preacher,as was i.
Many Muslims are getting visitations in dreams and such,getting born again without a preacher.
But the one called the Word (Jesus) shows up and transforms.
But yes you are somewhat right.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Till all be fulfilled......
Is all fulfilled?

The word fulfil in verse 17 = plēroō
play-ro'-o
From G4134; to make replete, that is, (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc.: - accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.

some of these words can be used to say Jesus came to do away with the law but many of the words can mean that Jesus came to uplift the law.
The opposite of destroy is to preserve.
I am not come to destroy, but to ..... finish the law, expire the law, end the law, these words don't fit.

I am not come to destroy, but to ..... replete = filled or well-supplied with something.

synonyms: filled, full, well stocked, well supplied, well provided, crammed, crowded, packed, jammed, stuffed, teeming, overflowing, bursting, brimful, brimming, loaded, overloaded, thick, solid, charged, abounding; More
YES. All was fulfilled.

At the Cross and subsequent Resurrection.

But for those who don't believe and have not come to Christ, no all is not fulfilled. Because the laws intent is to bring YOU to Christ.

For Believers ALL has been fulfilled. It has brought them to Christ and opened their eyes to what the Law was for.

For those who still work at the law and teach others to work at it as well, All is NOT fulfilled. They have not come to faith in Christ.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
People who follow Judaism have the same sin consciousness.

There is a difference between Christianity and Judaism.

And that is the DIFFERENT Law that is placed in the heart and mind of the Christian compared to the Law written on stone that was given to those who practice Judaism.

The Law written on the Christians heart and mind is Righteousness through the Spirit.

The 10 commandments cannot bring Righteousness as you already know. Therefore it ISN'T written on the heart of Christians.

2 Corinthians 3:3-9
3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

You can see here that the Ministration of Righteousness is juxtaposed with the Ministration of Death and Condemnation written on stone.

You can see here that what is written on the Christians heart is Righteousness and NOT Death and Condemnation.

You can see here that what is written on the Christians heart is NOT the Letter of the Law but the Spirit of God.

And you are right. You have a misunderstanding of the Core Foundation of the New Covenant.

T

Tim416

I am afraid it is farcical really. Grandpa states the law points out sin, and he is correct of course. Now in the real world, 99 percent of Christians would say if they committed adultery, bore false witness, coveted, stole, took the Lords name in vain, sin will be pointed out to them/they will be conscious of sin. But Grandpa apparently does not believe what he stated is true, for law relating to the ten commandments is not placed within the Christian.
The internet is fun at times, and obviously should not be taken tooo seriously

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I am afraid it is farcical really. Grandpa states the law points out sin, and he is correct of course. Now in the real world, 99 percent of Christians would say if they committed adultery, bore false witness, coveted, stole, took the Lords name in vain, sin will be pointed out to them/they will be conscious of sin. But apparently, what was stated is not really true, for law relating to the ten commandments is not placed within the Christian.
The internet is fun at times, and obviously should not be taken tooo seriously
Why would the law that is written on Stone need to be written anywhere but on stone?

People who practice Judaism know what is written on Stone and are conscious of sin.

Anyone who knows what was written on stone knows what sin is.

Is there something you don't understand about 2 Corinthians 3 that was posted. It seems obvious to me but maybe its not to you.