Eternal Security/OSAS is Bad Doctrine

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I always appreciate your good attitude. I started out in a Pentecostal/charismatic church, and I never liked the atmosphere of fear that was prevalent there, or in other, similar churches. People I disagreed with would say things like 'don't come against God's anointed,' or ,'beware you don't blaspheme the Holy Spirit.' Pastors who preached contrary to the bible would get angry if I questioned them about it. I was hurt and confused by that then, but now I realize that it was only ignorance.
I believe that the ignorance was on their part and not yours. The church that you described sounds like a horrid place and glad that you got out of that environment that promotes fear and guilt. It is not a spiritually healthy place to be.

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
People don't understand Christ and what He has done for us.

What people mostly do understand is the Law. Because everyone is, or has been, under the law, at least at some point.

And the law says do this and be blessed, don't do that or be cursed.

That is the argument against OSAS. It is how can a person be saved if they aren't doing the do's of being blessed and they are doing the don'ts of being cursed?

The bigger question is WHO is the One doing the defining of what the do's and don'ts are?

Most people think that the law is pretty easy to understand. It's because no one understands TRULY what it says until they are saved and no longer under it.

No longer under the threat of having to do the dos to be blessed and no longer worried about not doing the don'ts of being cursed. How is that possible? Because, Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ has done the dos to the Highest so that we can be blessed.

We are not blessed because we think we have done the dos. That is just pure imagination. Pure silliness really if you are a Christian and have read your bible.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

So if Righteousness before God doesn't come through your actions, or your "obedience" to the law, then how does Righteousness come?

It comes through faith in Christ. Without Christ we can do nothing. We can't grow the fruit of Righteousness just by our own will or understanding. It is Christ, and Christ Alone who grows this fruit of Righteousness.

A Christian doesn't keep himself saved by ensuring all his actions are righteous. Or maybe once in a while does some righteous actions to offset some of the un-righteous actions he has done.

A Christian is kept saved by the Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord Jesus Christ doesn't give His Gifts like some people do. He doesn't say "Here is life, but if you step over that line I will take it back". He gives His Gift eternally with no threats of revocation. Irrevocable.

Some people say that "Irr re VOC able" but I prefer saying it "Ir REV ocable" or Ir-revakabull. Either way it is Irrevocable.

Romans 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

If you insist that Salvation can be lost then you are saying that God does take His Gifts back. That is simply an un-biblical statement.

You can't be any more un-saved than you can be un-born from your mother or father. Its too late. Like it or not. You just have to live with it. The Lord Jesus Loves you and He's not going to stop. Just like our physical mothers and fathers, only better...

Matthew 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
God doesn't take his gift back, but I believe we can throw it away

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
People don't understand Christ and what He has done for us.

What people mostly do understand is the Law. Because everyone is, or has been, under the law, at least at some point.

And the law says do this and be blessed, don't do that or be cursed.

That is the argument against OSAS. It is how can a person be saved if they aren't doing the do's of being blessed and they are doing the don'ts of being cursed?

The bigger question is WHO is the One doing the defining of what the do's and don'ts are?

Most people think that the law is pretty easy to understand. It's because no one understands TRULY what it says until they are saved and no longer under it.

No longer under the threat of having to do the dos to be blessed and no longer worried about not doing the don'ts of being cursed. How is that possible? Because, Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ has done the dos to the Highest so that we can be blessed.

We are not blessed because we think we have done the dos. That is just pure imagination. Pure silliness really if you are a Christian and have read your bible.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

So if Righteousness before God doesn't come through your actions, or your "obedience" to the law, then how does Righteousness come?

It comes through faith in Christ. Without Christ we can do nothing. We can't grow the fruit of Righteousness just by our own will or understanding. It is Christ, and Christ Alone who grows this fruit of Righteousness.

A Christian doesn't keep himself saved by ensuring all his actions are righteous. Or maybe once in a while does some righteous actions to offset some of the un-righteous actions he has done.

A Christian is kept saved by the Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord Jesus Christ doesn't give His Gifts like some people do. He doesn't say "Here is life, but if you step over that line I will take it back". He gives His Gift eternally with no threats of revocation. Irrevocable.

Some people say that "Irr re VOC able" but I prefer saying it "Ir REV ocable" or Ir-revakabull. Either way it is Irrevocable.

Romans 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

If you insist that Salvation can be lost then you are saying that God does take His Gifts back. That is simply an un-biblical statement.

You can't be any more un-saved than you can be un-born from your mother or father. Its too late. Like it or not. You just have to live with it. The Lord Jesus Loves you and He's not going to stop. Just like our physical mothers and fathers, only better...

Matthew 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
Be careful how you use the word....saved.
Remember ...it is appointed unto man once to die (physical death) and then the judgement.

We are .....born again ......while on this earth...living a righteous life....hopefully.
G-d will decide if we are....saved.

I doubt He appreciates some folks using the term ...saved...note the pass tense....on this earth thereby trying to negate His judgement.

The prolific signs on the fence posts around the word....have you been saved....obviously not if I can read the sign .........for I am still alive.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
The new age religion folks want to spin that point into ....He renege's on the promise.
Not so.
We are the one's who can loose it.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
I always appreciate your good attitude. I started out in a Pentecostal/charismatic church, and I never liked the atmosphere of fear that was prevalent there, or in other, similar churches. People I disagreed with would say things like 'don't come against God's anointed,' or ,'beware you don't blaspheme the Holy Spirit.' Pastors who preached contrary to the bible would get angry if I questioned them about it. I was hurt and confused by that then, but now I realize that it was only ignorance.
You are missing a point...I am afraid.

The Bible tells us to ......fear G-d. Further...., the Bible tells us that we would be better off if we had never knew and never made a commitment than to backslide.
What did the church you speak of say that was not included in G-d's word.

(Sounds like some new age religion folks has swayed you...give it better thought..it's your eternal salvation ....not anyone else's..by your actions).

Do not be persuaded by the new age religion types that want to..."tickle your ears and tell you what you want to hear".

If you are.... born again.... and are living a righteous life since repentance and baptism...what would you be afraid of?
Give that point careful thought.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
I believe that the ignorance was on their part and not yours. The church that you described sounds like a horrid place and glad that you got out of that environment that promotes fear and guilt. It is not a spiritually healthy place to be.

Are you saying The Bible is...horrid?
You have made an improper assessment of that church's teaching. From what the poster said they were spot on.

When we deal with G-d's word we must take it as He has instructed. We have no authority to change, modify or amend His word, literally or by intent.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Are you saying The Bible is...horrid?
You have made an improper assessment of that church's teaching. From what the poster said they were spot on.

When we deal with G-d's word we must take it as He has instructed. We have no authority to change, modify or amend His word, literally or by intent.
The pastor obviously uses fear and guilt as a teaching tool and certain members chide others to get with the program. Yeah, horrid place to be. The message may have been spiritual but the delivery was harsh, ineffective and would tend to alienate the congregation and stifle spiritual growth. No, you know as well as I do that I was not referring to the bible in my response so let's don't go there, OK? There is church teaching and spiritual teaching, the two are often at odds with one another.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
You are missing a point...I am afraid.

The Bible tells us to ......fear G-d. Further...., the Bible tells us that we would be better off if we had never knew and never made a commitment than to backslide.
What did the church you speak of say that was not included in G-d's word.

(Sounds like some new age religion folks has swayed you...give it better thought..it's your eternal salvation ....not anyone else's..by your actions).

Do not be persuaded by the new age religion types that want to..."tickle your ears and tell you what you want to hear".

If you are.... born again.... and are living a righteous life since repentance and baptism...what would you be afraid of?
Give that point careful thought.
Fear of God takes the form of respect of God. One should not be afraid of God because He is a God of love and wants us to have life and have it more abundantly. He doesn't anxiety wait for us to screw up to drop the hammer on us. Someone who believes that fears God for what they think He will do to them but don't 'fear' God in the sense that they respect God.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011

Some people have faith in God.

Some people have faith in self.

IF you believe salvation can be lost, in any way, shape, or form, then you believe in self.

If you believe it is God that saves us and keeps us saved then you have faith in God.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
The pastor obviously uses fear and guilt as a teaching tool and certain members chide others to get with the program. Yeah, horrid place to be. The message may have been spiritual but the delivery was harsh, ineffective and would tend to alienate the congregation and stifle spiritual growth. No, you know as well as I do that I was not referring to the bible in my response so let's don't go there, OK? There is church teaching and spiritual teaching, the two are often at odds with one another.

You don't have the point yet. There is no room for ...PC.....with scripture. It says what it says.
Often when applying ...PC...in daily life, magnitude of the message is lost.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Some people have faith in God.
Some people have faith in self.
IF you believe salvation can be lost, in any way, shape, or form, then you believe in self.
If you believe it is God that saves us and keeps us saved then you have faith in God.
May I be able to translate this language into a different frame of reference.
God saves us, but asks us to respond.
Our response needs to be driven from a cleansed, purified heart.

So if the believer is not purified, then it is sin which responds and therefore fails.
If the believers is purified and dwells in Christ, it is Christ responding through them.

So here the distinction is response from the action of God on the heart of the believer.

Another faith says, we are saved separate from a heart change, and any connection with
our actions, is a statement of unbelief in the need for God alone to act.

So in this world self, is seen as innately evil and incapable of anything good even when
cleansed. So with this view, anyone claiming to be purified and make clean so acts
of righteousness can be performed is denying God and being self righteous.

This is a view, but not of scripture. Paul declares we can be Holy and walk Holy.

For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.
1 Thess 4:7

Holiness is only achieved by being cleansed and purified, and having Christ move within us.

The excuse that is used for these verses is it is referring to Christ in us, while we are fallen
sinners still sinning, we have a dualistic experience of life, some actions driven by Christ,
holy and some by the flesh, sinful, so we can be viewed as two different people.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Could we also throw away Adam's sinful nature, without turning to Jesus?
Adams sinful nature could only be thrown away if it was a thing.

If Adams sinful nature is man living separate from God, it is a state of being that can only
be resolved with Jesus, ie God dwelling with us and in us.

Morality only exists because of rights.
If one has a right to something it is not immoral to possess that thing.
So if I own everything, me using it could not be immoral.

This is why when we are the focus and we claim ownership on other peoples things
we could claim in our world everything is actually ours so taking it is not immoral, while
in reality we have no such claim.

When you start to reduce morality down, it is God being the focus that brings a right
perspective and why we living separate from Him will always corrupt our way.

Jan 12, 2019
Adams sinful nature could only be thrown away if it was a thing.
It is said that, according the NT Greek, whenever Paul talks about sin, he is almost always using it as a noun, which means precisely, people, place, or thing.

Only in very few instances he used sin as a verb, which is action, most famously that verse, "shall we sin more so that grace would increase"

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Thank you sir, I appreciate your feedback.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
It is said that, according the NT Greek, whenever Paul talks about sin, he is almost always using it as a noun, which means precisely, people, place, or thing.

Only in very few instances he used sin as a verb, which is action, most famously that verse, "shall we sin more so that grace would increase"
I would suggest one needs to go deeper.
How do we make decisions and what is it out God we resist?

The nature of existence itself is the affirmation of our rights and our existence as if the world is actively denying
it. So when we see God what is our reaction, fear, fight or flee. So our very nature is to reject Him as a threat.

And in many ways we are right. One sin or evil deed is worthy of His judgement.
Without communion or knowledge of Him, this will always be our first reaction.

Equally every suggestion He proposes to us, we will filter, question and fit within our
own frame of reference, centred on what we want and how we view the world.

This leads us to rebellion and conflict, innate within our very outlooks.
And if He holds out love and sympathy we will knock His hand out of the way daring
to suggest we need any help, that our way of coping is in some ways flawed.

And if you go deeper you find a hurt lost lonely soul trying to make do in an aggressive
dangerous world. And below this is a loving person, who has given up, and few if any
know and care for this individual.

So how lost are we? Completely. And how easy is it to find the real person within?
The hardest thing possible.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
May I be able to translate this language into a different frame of reference.
God saves us, but asks us to respond.
Our response needs to be driven from a cleansed, purified heart.

So if the believer is not purified, then it is sin which responds and therefore fails.
If the believers is purified and dwells in Christ, it is Christ responding through them.

So here the distinction is response from the action of God on the heart of the believer.

Another faith says, we are saved separate from a heart change, and any connection with
our actions, is a statement of unbelief in the need for God alone to act.

So in this world self, is seen as innately evil and incapable of anything good even when
cleansed. So with this view, anyone claiming to be purified and make clean so acts
of righteousness can be performed is denying God and being self righteous.

This is a view, but not of scripture. Paul declares we can be Holy and walk Holy.

For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.
1 Thess 4:7

Holiness is only achieved by being cleansed and purified, and having Christ move within us.

The excuse that is used for these verses is it is referring to Christ in us, while we are fallen
sinners still sinning, we have a dualistic experience of life, some actions driven by Christ,
holy and some by the flesh, sinful, so we can be viewed as two different people.
God doesn't ask people to respond.

God CAUSES people to respond.

We don't cleanse and purify our own hearts, the Lord Jesus Christ cleanses and purifies us.

Everything that you think is a pre-requisite for being a Christian and being saved is a Gift from God and does not come from the will or imagination of man.

So you either have faith that it is God that causes you to respond and purifies you, therefore saving you and keeping you saved...

Or you have faith in self that it is you that makes all the right decisions and purifies your own heart, therefore saving yourself and keeping yourself saved...

Add as many words as you would like to these simple statements but the simplicity stands.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Be careful how you use the word....saved.
Remember ...it is appointed unto man once to die (physical death) and then the judgement.

We are .....born again ......while on this earth...living a righteous life....hopefully.
G-d will decide if we are....saved.

I doubt He appreciates some folks using the term ...saved...note the pass tense....on this earth thereby trying to negate His judgement.

The prolific signs on the fence posts around the word....have you been saved....obviously not if I can read the sign .........for I am still alive.
If you're born again what does that mean, precisely?

Can you be un-born again?