False teachers, is it our duty to rebuke them?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 21, 2020
Within the last few days I started a thread about Westboro Baptist Church.

Despite how members of the Church behave, I asked whether they are correct in some of their teachings.
In answer to this question I was given a resounding *NO!".
I was even attacked by other users of this forum, who asked whether I am a Westboro member.

The thread can be viewed here:
https://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/westboro.192419/

The reason I'm starting this particular thread is because I want to know if the Christian community will rise with a similar zeal in refuting other false teachers and heathens...

For instance:

- The new wave of so called 'mega-churches' that are light on scriptural teaching but heavily promote the so called 'prosperity gospel'.
These so called churches generally use the money that people give to enrich the lifestyle of the leaders.
Examples include Hillsong and C3.
Both of these organisations have been hit with child sexual abuse scandals.

- What about the Catholic 'church'?
What is the Biblical justification for the pope, cardinals, etc?
What is the Biblical justification for their traditions for example confessing sins TO THEIR 'FATHER' as oppose to Jesus, the hail Mary beads as a form of punishment, etc?
This so called 'church' has also been very heavily embroiled in a child sexual abuse scandal, and the Catholic hierarchy acted to cover it up.

Will my brothers and sisters in Christ act to rebuke these false teachings and un-Christ like deeds?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Your thread title asks, "Is it our duty to rebuke them?" as though you want a discussion about that question. Your opening post makes it clear that you have already answered the question and are looking for affirmation and support in doing so. If you want to be a heresy hunter, go right ahead; you'll get all the affirmation you need.

I'll just ask you one question: Who would you rather emulate: Jesus, or pre-conversion Saul? Think on that before your next hunting expedition. :)

Apr 21, 2020
Your thread title asks, "Is it our duty to rebuke them?" as though you want a discussion about that question. Your opening post makes it clear that you have already answered the question and are looking for affirmation and support in doing so. If you want to be a heresy hunter, go right ahead; you'll get all the affirmation you need.

I'll just ask you one question: Who would you rather emulate: Jesus, or pre-conversion Saul? Think on that before your next hunting expedition. :)
You're right, reading my post back I did answer the question in the thread title.
This was unintentional.

The point I was trying to make is that there are many do called churches that claim to preach the word of the Lord our God, but in reality many of these so called churches take advantage of people in some way.

My question was should we as Christians do more to counter these organisations?

Jan 17, 2020
Within the last few days I started a thread about Westboro Baptist Church.

Despite how members of the Church behave, I asked whether they are correct in some of their teachings.
In answer to this question I was given a resounding *NO!".
I was even attacked by other users of this forum, who asked whether I am a Westboro member.

The thread can be viewed here:
https://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/westboro.192419/

The reason I'm starting this particular thread is because I want to know if the Christian community will rise with a similar zeal in refuting other false teachers and heathens...

For instance:

- The new wave of so called 'mega-churches' that are light on scriptural teaching but heavily promote the so called 'prosperity gospel'.
These so called churches generally use the money that people give to enrich the lifestyle of the leaders.
Examples include Hillsong and C3.
Both of these organisations have been hit with child sexual abuse scandals.

- What about the Catholic 'church'?
What is the Biblical justification for the pope, cardinals, etc?
What is the Biblical justification for their traditions for example confessing sins TO THEIR 'FATHER' as oppose to Jesus, the hail Mary beads as a form of punishment, etc?
This so called 'church' has also been very heavily embroiled in a child sexual abuse scandal, and the Catholic hierarchy acted to cover it up.

Will my brothers and sisters in Christ act to rebuke these false teachings and un-Christ like deeds?
Most of my efforts are in trying to realign believers with historic Christianity. It's the truth that sets us free. The early church would reject most Christians today as heretics. An example, "free will = heresy. Premillennialism/Dispensationalism = heresy. Anything less than the Ecumenical Creeds on the trinity, Deity of Christ = heresy.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The point I was trying to make is that there are many do called churches that claim to preach the word of the Lord our God, but in reality many of these so called churches take advantage of people in some way.

IMHO, we should counter error in our own circles of influence.

Let's say that you have a Christian friend who often talks about the latest sermon from (insert big-name questionable-ethics-church leader here). You can say, "That's not really a Christian church because (insert critical gossip here)". Or, you can investigate the teachings of said church and leader, and present to your friend your well-researched and biblically-grounded rationale for rejecting their teaching and ministry. The friend is more likely to think carefully about the matter in the second case.

Another example: there is a contributor on this forum who constantly quotes a preacher who was defrocked for adultery. Said preacher never repented of his sin; he just cried some crocodile tears, and went on preaching his aberrant version of the gospel. I am not going to have any influence on him or his organization, but I will happily use biblically-based arguments to shred the hogwash of his quoted by the CC member. What's the result? Hopefully others will see the errors for themselves and avoid this particular preacher.

I've spent a lot of time listening to James White. I wouldn't call him a heresy hunter, though part of his work involves identifying and refuting people who teach error and falsehoods. He is careful to present accurately what they claim, and to counter it with Scripture, not bluster. That's the approach I prefer.

Apr 21, 2020
IMHO, we should counter error in our own circles of influence.

Let's say that you have a Christian friend who often talks about the latest sermon from (insert big-name questionable-ethics-church leader here). You can say, "That's not really a Christian church because (insert critical gossip here)". Or, you can investigate the teachings of said church and leader, and present to your friend your well-researched and biblically-grounded rationale for rejecting their teaching and ministry. The friend is more likely to think carefully about the matter in the second case.

Another example: there is a contributor on this forum who constantly quotes a preacher who was defrocked for adultery. Said preacher never repented of his sin; he just cried some crocodile tears, and went on preaching his aberrant version of the gospel. I am not going to have any influence on him or his organization, but I will happily use biblically-based arguments to shred the hogwash of his quoted by the CC member. What's the result? Hopefully others will see the errors for themselves and avoid this particular preacher.

I've spent a lot of time listening to James White. I wouldn't call him a heresy hunter, though part of his work involves identifying and refuting people who teach error and falsehoods. He is careful to present accurately what they claim, and to counter it with Scripture, not bluster. That's the approach I prefer.
I agree with countering error in our own circles, and I feel we should also counter error further afield too.

Christians should not allow the word to be misused.

We are told in the Bible of a false prophet.
We should counter this.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I agree with countering error in our own circles, and I feel we should also counter error further afield too.

Christians should not allow the word to be misused.

We are told in the Bible of a false prophet.
We should counter this.
What approach do you suggest?

Apr 21, 2020
What approach do you suggest?
Put simply, one broad suggestion is that people read their Bibles more thoroughly and not be afraid of holding people to account if something they preach is unbiblical.

You may remember my thread about tithing.
At my old 'church' there were people who did not regularly study scripture, but they tithed because "that's what we do at this church".
That's just an example, of course.

People should take personal responsibility for their own understanding of scripture, AND for holding to account those who preach incorrectly.

This is one of the problems I see:
There are a lot of Christians, particularly young Christians, who rely on others to tell them about God's word.
This not only opens them up to various kinds of manipulation, but allows meaningless traditions to take hold.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
You're right, reading my post back I did answer the question in the thread title.
This was unintentional.

if you find time. Read my thread The War on Ideas part 1 and 2. Of course we should combat false teachings but it should be within great discernment.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
if we cut off everyone who has a doctrine that doesn't align with our interpretation of scriptures we may not have any churches left.

Sadly we all have drifted far from the beginning.

One Mind in the Upper room, oh to find beleivers with that same one mind

Jun 5, 2018
Put simply, one broad suggestion is that people read their Bibles more thoroughly and not be afraid of holding people to account if something they preach is unbiblical.

At my old 'church' there were people who did not regularly study scripture, but they tithed because "that's what we do at this church".

People should take personal responsibility for their own understanding of scripture, AND for holding to account those who preach incorrectly.

There are a lot of Christians, particularly young Christians, who rely on others to tell them about God's word.
This not only opens them up to various kinds of manipulation, but allows meaningless traditions to take hold.
I can agree with your above statement .

But in your OP you said "The reason I'm starting this particular thread is because I want to know if the Christian community will rise with a similar zeal in refuting other false teachers and heathens... "

Based on this passage alone it is quite clear who is to be refuted, 1 Corinthians 5:12-13 "What business of mine is it to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked man from among you "(inside the church)

How can we call it the good news gospel if we can twist the good news of Christ's salvation into the bad news of condemnation!
We are to be like a beacon of light on a hill guiding and directing the lost unto Christ's ultimate plan of salvation.

Apr 21, 2020
if we cut off everyone who has a doctrine that doesn't align with our interpretation of scriptures we may not have any churches left.

Sadly we all have drifted far from the beginning.

One Mind in the Upper room, oh to find beleivers with that same one mind
So are you saying that false teachings should go unchallenged?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Okay so far. Now, what do you propose is a workable and effective way to "hold others to account"?

Apr 21, 2020
I can agree with your above statement .

But in your OP you said "The reason I'm starting this particular thread is because I want to know if the Christian community will rise with a similar zeal in refuting other false teachers and heathens... "

Based on this passage alone it is quite clear who is to be refuted, 1 Corinthians 5:12-13 "What business of mine is it to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked man from among you "(inside the church)

How can we call it the good news gospel if we can twist the good news of Christ's salvation into the bad news of condemnation!
We are to be like a beacon of light on a hill guiding and directing the lost unto Christ's ultimate plan of salvation.
I didn't say that we should judge anybody. That's God's job.

I am saying that we should expose false teachers and not follow them.
https://www.openbible.info/topics/exposing_false_teachers

Apr 21, 2020
Okay so far. Now, what do you propose is a workable and effective way to "hold others to account"?
By simply not following them, and showing other Christians that they should not follow them either.

Dec 28, 2016
I sit here amazed at the perpetual pulling of the "don't judge" card by professing believers against other believers.

This reaction shows a very very shallow understanding of our duty to contend for the faith, Jude 1:4, to correct, rebuke, and reprove error in person's teachings and lives, 2 Timothy 4, and to understand sound doctrine. Today to do such a thing causes persons to, in ignorance, and in a quasi political correctness attitude, pull out their "don't judge" card.

Rebuking those who correct error with a "don't judge" card is to stand against the biblical mandate to do so.

Yes, we should stand to correct error, call it what it is, name it, reprove it, and share the truth.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
By simply not following them, and showing other Christians that they should not follow them either.
Okay... so let's pretend that I am a teacher/preacher with a modest to large circle of influence. You "follow" me for a while, and then stop, and tell others in your circle not to follow me, and why.

I don't notice. So how am I "held to account"?

Or in another case, I'm a local-church preacher. You attend for a while, then stop attending but tell people in my congregation that I'm out to lunch. I notice, but think you are just out to destroy the congregation and tell "my" people so. Again, how am I held to account?

Bear in mind I'm not trying to be a jerk; I'm just encouraging you to consider the effectiveness of your approach. :)

Jun 5, 2018

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
So are you saying that false teachings should go unchallenged?
if they in my cngregration I will speak to them, I not going looking for them in another congregration. if asked for advice I will give it .

I am no hunter, and I don't know peoples hearts. so not my role.

IF we all did it in our local congregation we would achieve the outcome without having to publicly do it .

Apr 21, 2020
Okay... so let's pretend that I am a teacher/preacher with a modest to large circle of influence. You "follow" me for a while, and then stop, and tell others in your circle not to follow me, and why.

I don't notice. So how am I "held to account"?

Or in another case, I'm a local-church preacher. You attend for a while, then stop attending but tell people in my congregation that I'm out to lunch. I notice, but think you are just out to destroy the congregation and tell "my" people so. Again, how am I held to account?

Bear in mind I'm not trying to be a jerk; I'm just encouraging you to consider the effectiveness of your approach. :)
Holding somebody to account doesn't necessarily have to mean punishing them in some way.

My focus would be on the people following the false teacher, not the false teacher themselves.

If I was following a false teacher I would want to know about it, wouldn't you?