Fasting.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 22, 2018
The NT has instructions from Jesus around how to behave around fasting. I.e. Don't look like you are fasting, don't go round making a big thing of it. etc.

But, I don't hear much about fasting from Christians that I know.
Are they being really good by not telling anybody, or are they just not fasting?

Seems like they should be doing it, but it's never mentioned. 869091-7.jpg

How do you fast? How often? When do you do it? How often are you supposed to do it?

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I try to fast every 2 or 3months how the spirit leads. There are dozens of ways to fast. Not eating from dawn till dusk, only eating certain things or staying away from them,not eating or drinking at all...

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Anyone got any tips on how to not get GRUMPY when fasting?

M

Miri

Best way is to set a schedule beforehand and make sure you are prepared.
Decide what you can drink, tea, coffee, smoothies, water etc, assuming it’s a food fast.
If you don’t plan ahead your day of fasting will be wasted and you will wonder
what to do.

Break up your day so set a time to get up and get yourself washed dressed etc.

Have a drink then maybe set some time aside for having a quiet time bible study,
prayer etc.

Include a time for a bit of God TV if there are any programmes you like.

Set aside a time for worship, listening to music etc.

Also get some good Christian books and set aside time to do some reading.

If you like doing creative stuff, then get some paints, pencils etc and draw things
that come to mind, bible verses etc.

Add some more time for prayer and seeking God.

Oh and during the prayer times decide in advance what you will prayer for.
The day will go very quickly you won’t even notice how quick it goes by.

Something like this

7.00am. get up and get dressed showered.
7.30am. Have a drink and say a short prayer dedicating the day to God.
7.45am. Have a bible study for an hour. Look things up and write them down.
8.45am. Prayer time pray for wisdom for yourself and family. Prayer for salvation for
various family members. Pray for a closer walk with God for yourself.

9.15am have a drink and chill for 15 mins.

9.30 put on some worship music for half and hour and let the words sink in praise
God dance if you want to kneel if you want to it’s just you and God.

10.00 watch a bit of God TV if there is something you like maybe you can
pre record it and have a drink.

11.00. More prayer this time about missionaries you might now of, or you church.

11.30 do some drawing or painting of bible verses things you have learnt.

Etc etc

As the day goes by you will find yourself getting a little tired at times, that’s ok
have a nap,if you want to. Ask God to speak to you in dreams.

During those scheduled prayer times don’t forget it’s not all about you, set aside
time to wait on the lord and ask what He wants to say to you to.

Make sure you have a note book and pen to write down anything that comes to mind.

At bed time, have a large milky drink, something like a hot chocolate. It’s warming
and the milk will help with any hunger pangs, plus help you sleep better.

The next day don’t just let it all slip away, review what you did and wrote down etc.

Plan it out well and you won’t even notice the passage of time. Better still invite
a friend to share the day with you and do it together.

Fasting isn’t just about not eating, it’s about seeking God, drawing closer to Him.

Oh and if you do it on Sunday, you can incorporate going to church in your
schedule

newton3003

Feb 4, 2017
Matthew 6:16-18 says,
“And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

Writers have said this refers to Isaiah 58:5 which says, "Is such the fast that I choose, a day for a person to humble himself?
Is it to bow down his head like a reed, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? Will you call this a fast, and a day acceptable to the LORD?"

I don't know offhand if the NT requires anyone to fast, except to the extent provided for in James, but the OT designates the Day of Atonement as the day to fast.

But what Jesus is saying in Matthew 6:16-18 supplements James 2:10 - which says, "For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it," that is, if you're going to abide by the Law of the OT, meaning you will fast, then you should conduct yourself in the manner as Jesus said in Matthew 6:16-18. It is also consistent with the idea of you not showing off to people of how you worship. i.e. fancy robes and ostensible facial expressions.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
The NT has instructions from Jesus around how to behave around fasting. I.e. Don't look like you are fasting, don't go round making a big thing of it. etc.

Are they being really good by not telling anybody, or are they just not fasting?

Seems like they should be doing it, but it's never mentioned. View attachment 194181

How do you fast? How often? When do you do it? How often are you supposed to do it?
Most likely not many are fasting. Any true believer who is fasting is going to keep it between them and God, so that they may please God and not look for the praise of men. If they do it to be seen by men, then Jesus said that they have received their reward in full. It is the same with doing good works, giving and praying. If we do these things in secret, keeping them between us and God, then we are looking to please Him and what He sees in secret He will reward us openly.

As far as how often, that would be between you and God. There is no set time for fasting, as well as no teaching on how often. I would suggest doing a study on those mentioned in scripture who fasted and why. For example, King David, after he had committed adultery with Bathseba and she became pregnant, as part of David's punishment God said that the child would not live. So, David humbled himself before God by fasting in hopes of changing God's mind about the child not living. Another type of humbling before God was that Daniel didn't eat any choice food; no meat or wine; and he used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over. Basically, it is to humble yourself before God. It is important also to understand that our salvation is not dependent upon fasting.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
I remember what my dear 'ol Dad told me concerning fasting, when I asked him about it, a long time ago.
And, it sure seems to hold water!
He said: "You are letting God know "you mean business!"" For whatever reason, or reasons you are fasting for.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Hi M,

A while (mos.?) ago, I was on a thread on fasting. I believe some Christians do fast once in a while, but it is not a popular thing. People prefer to be comfortable, and not deprive the body of food and drink we need and like... and as mentioned, those who do, do not talk abt it much. Still it's not because ppl do not talk abt it they do not do it, or that when ppl talk abt it, does it mean they are bragging that they're doing it... more of like reminding others perhaps who have forgotten that it is one offering we can give the Lord, at the same time helping us with self-discipline, discernment, among other benefits.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
WAIT WHAT?

You guys are DRINKING while fasting?

NO wonder you arent grumpy!

M

Miri

WAIT WHAT?

Why would you not want want to drink? Dehydration kills
quicker than lack of food, plus it causes headaches, increased blood
pressure, UTI, causes kidney stones,heat stroke.

You think Jesus lasted 40 days with no food and no water?

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
WAIT WHAT?

Hello Hevosmies!

While the human body can go without food for up to a month, because our bodies are made up of approx. 75% water and are bodies are continually exuding water, we can't go very long with out it. Fasting from food is not life threatening, where depriving your body of water for an extended amount of time is. I would say that when anyone fasts, that they should continue to drink water.

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
[for me anyway] fasting ought to be an every day matter when we behold fasting as what it is meant for: it is not the going without food only, but it is "going without" in all things that we tend to have an eagerness to possess or consume, such things as (especially in this modern time) the internet, or entertainment, or shopping, or secular worldly matters, or our hand held device, and such like things are those that we should insist ourselves to go without even daily for a period of time: for the purpose of learning to deny our own will, that we may keep the majority of our time submitting to and relying upon the Word of God, from where only faith comes from.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Anyone got any tips on how to not get GRUMPY when fasting?
I learn from YouTube, a cancer doctor say Fasting is like marathon, you have to practice it step by step.

Start with one day, only eat at night for a week, than 3 days, than 10 days etc.

For fast more then 5 days, the doctor recommend to be careful when you break, start eat sof fruit or prune juice to clean your colon.

I am learning fasting recently for my diabetes and high blood pressure. It work. It may the will of God to let me have high blood pressure so I learn how to fast.

I know it wrong motive, fast is for spirit purpose not for health, but after learn how to fast, I am not Afraid to fast for spiritual purpose.

Mar 28, 2016

Seems like they should be doing it, but it's never mentioned. View attachment 194181

Why a fast? A tool of the gospel? The kind of fast that cast out demons along with prayer?

Fasting literally depriving oneself of food or water. like other ceremonial laws as carnal ordinances are used as a shadow of the true applying the prescription in 2 Corinthians 4:18. it can help us find the unseen meaning to the true .

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:18

First shown being developed as part of the Sabbath ceremonial law, that also has it spiritual understanding hid in parables. Using "manna" coming down from heaven to represent the hidden meaning of fasting. Called hidden manna in Revelation.

Exodus 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.