Favourite Books in the Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GODisLOVE7

The Old Testament is my favourite. Love it :)
I really love the Old Testament too... For me, it was essential in piecing everything together. The Bible overall is beautiful work. So many different literary styles, and of course hudreds of similar threads throughout.

I know that its the Spirit and of course it should be amazing, cause, well, its from God... But it really is fascinating!

R

renewed_hope

Well yes, Jesus first appeared to a woman.

But it's only because all the men were busy doing men stuff!
Want to know why? Women are more important than men. Kidding :p

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Yeah! Burning tents. Selling cloaks to purchase swords. Jumping into furnaces. Rods. Snakes. Chariots of fire.

A lot of fire.
And honestly, with all that cool man stuff going on...

I really don't know how God managed room for women in the bible at all.

But our God is a mighty God,

he probably just had some extra pages.

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro
Numbers...

No, I'm kidding.

John & Ecclesiastes. I'm rereading it in Young's Literal Translation but I have only started. I think I will really like Isaiah as well as Romans and Hebrews. Maybe some of Deuteronomy.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
It does the heart good to see this love for the Old Testament!

One gets the sense that many modern Christians do not seem to care about it as much. I'm so happy to see I'm wrong, because I have been so unbelievably blessed by what the Holy Spirit has revealed to me in those pages.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I want to meet the man who would answer Numbers, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy.

He'd probably be worth having a beer with.

Numbers...

No, I'm kidding.

John & Ecclesiastes. I'm rereading it in Young's Literal Translation but I have only started. I think I will really like Isaiah as well as Romans and Hebrews. Maybe some of Deuteronomy.

Dec 16, 2012
The book of Joshua. I've read that more times than I can count and it becomes more inspiring each time. It helps me with the spirit of courage. Another book is the Psalms, it's very healing.

R

renewed_hope

Well, women smell better...

and I'm sure that counts for something.
This is true! I get told that all the time....even my friends say my car smells good. However some men smell good too

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro
I really love the Old Testament too... For me, it was essential in piecing everything together. The Bible overall is beautiful work. So many different literary styles, and of course hudreds of similar threads throughout.

I know that its the Spirit and of course it should be amazing, cause, well, its from God... But it really is fascinating!
I like reading about the ceremonial laws and offerings. I used to hate the Pentateuch but that was because I did not picture Jesus in those chapters.

This verse in Luke 24:26-27

And He[Jesus] said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

Now, I do and it makes all the difference in the world!

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Tintin... more Lost.

I like reading about the ceremonial laws and offerings. I used to hate the Pentateuch but that was because I did not picture Jesus in those chapters.

And He[Jesus] said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro
I want to meet the man who would answer Numbers, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy.

He'd probably be worth having a beer with.
Numbers, right now, is my least favourite. But I'm gonna try reading it in other translations. I'm sure God won't let me stay in the dark on this one.

notbythesword

Apr 28, 2015
As of right now, Daniel and Revelation are…because I’ve been studying them lately.

T

Tintin

It does the heart good to see this love for the Old Testament!

One gets the sense that many modern Christians do not seem to care about it as much. I'm so happy to see I'm wrong, because I have been so unbelievably blessed by what the Holy Spirit has revealed to me in those pages.
Of course, there are some terribly dry, difficult parts of the Bible (got to love all of the censuses etc.) but ever since I was a young boy I've preferred much of the Old Testament to the New Testament. It was probably because the OT is largely made up of raw historical narratives and has so much action and adventure. Good stuff!

G

GODisLOVE7

Here you go: (again it's not inspired, but it's interesting)

Bel and the Dragon
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Bel+and+the+Dragon&version=CEB
Oh so funny! Interesting to read the same characters of the Bible in different literature. It didn't seem to read like the Book of Daniel, but maybe that's just my brain knowing it's not included in the Bible versions I know and love.

I have to say it was hilarious that Habakkuk made a cameo appearance in the story... Like I said, its weird to see these characters we know so well doing other things than what we know from the Bible! Those minor prophets are kinda like the indie hipsters of prophet world. Nice for them to get some more exposure... Lololol ;)

T

Tintin

Abing, I'm glad you have a new found appreciation for some of the more dry and difficult parts of the Bible. I'm still getting there, but I do like the last three books of the Pentateuch more than I used to. I bought a crazy-good commentary on Leviticus (below). It should clear things up a bit more for me. I'd love to read a book on the symbolism of the Tabernacle and also of King Solomon's Temple.

41J3PPcilJL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

G

GODisLOVE7

Abing, I'm glad you have a new found appreciation for some of the more dry and difficult parts of the Bible. I'm still getting there, but I do like the last three books of the Pentateuch more than I used to. I bought a crazy-good commentary on Leviticus (below). It should clear things up a bit more for me. I'd love to read a book on the symbolism of the Tabernacle and also of King Solomon's Temple.

View attachment 163731
Nice to see the words "crazy-good" and "Leviticus" in the same sentence. I didn't mind Leviticus, and totally understand that each word, verse, chapter, and book have its place in the Bible.

I might have to check this commentary out... Anything to bring some cool insights to a book of the Bible that is not so riveting is certainly welcome!

T

Tintin

Nice to see the words "crazy-good" and "Leviticus" in the same sentence. I didn't mind Leviticus, and totally understand that each word, verse, chapter, and book have its place in the Bible.

I might have to check this commentary out... Anything to bring some cool insights to a book of the Bible that is not so riveting is certainly welcome!
I'm glad you enjoyed Bel and the Dragon. The Habakkuk story addition to the story is weird. Especially, since an angel holds him by his hair so he can throw food to Daniel in the lion pit. Haha! You can't make this stuff up.

As for Leviticus, I've always struggled with it. But on the whole, I much prefer Leviticus to Numbers. Numbers is super-tricky, although there are a few really cool stories (and they're all true). The great thing about this Leviticus commentary is that it's very detailed without being boring and the author knows his stuff and doesn't mess with Scripture like too many theologians and Bible scholars.