First Thread: ☕🙂👍📖 Should the Bible Be the Text Book?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Well Folks ---this is a great plug in for attending a Seminary School and getting many degrees so you are well prepared to go out into the world and stand on a Pulpit and spout out what you learned in Seminary school about God ---and His Word -----

Here is my concern about all that is said here -----it is self driven ---and man driven ----------not one mention of being called by God to enter into the Ministry to have your heart and ears and mind open to grasp any teaching of His Word -----not one mention of following the direction of the Holy Spirit when studying the Word ----

This comment here -----
You have access to models who are kind and experienced people, with high levels of degrees in accredited institutions.------

I say
There is much talk about having a degree in this post -----Well hate to say it but degrees are only good in this world -----you see in this world degrees help you climb the ladder of success ----In God's world Degrees mean nothing nor does climbing up the ladder get you success ------In God's World you need to climb down the Ladder to be successful ----

Saying this Statement here in the Post --Even Jesus prepared himself before he began his ministry.

I say
To me shows---- lack of understanding ---trying to lump in Jesus preparation for His Ministry to a man driven Seminary preparation into Ministry ---- Jesus was fulfilling prophecy when He was preparing for His Ministry ----Humans are fulfilling their own want by going to a Man made Seminary school ------when you have no idea if the instructors are Born Again people or not -----if they have not the Holy Spirit then your getting Man's ideas only -----Many call themselves Christians but their hearts are far from God ------

All Born Again People are True Ministers -----The Holy Spirit is their Teacher not Man -----No amount of Seminary School or Degrees or Human instruction will ever give you what you need to understand a Spiritual God or His Word ---and everything you need to know to do Spiritual counseling is the Scripture ----there is not one thing that we humans go through emotionally or physically that God doesn't cover in His word -----and give instruction to overcome ------

This comment here ----
It gives you tools to counsel people, to preach, teach and care for God's people.

I say --------the only tool needed to Counsel people and care for God's People and Preach and Teach the truth of God's word is the Holy Spirit----- no Seminary needed in my view -------

So I say -------if one goes to a Seminary -----make sure your instructors and all who teach you are Holy Spirit indwelled true Christians -----so you get taught the Spiritual Truth of God's Word -----Not what man thinks about God and His Word ---Who is Jesus by the way ------

What a stupid answer! Of course I was only speaking to people that God called to seminary, to preach. Why would I be telling anyone to go to seminary who hadn’t heard God’s call on their hearts & lives?

God called me twice, loud & clear. The first time was in the late 1980’s. It was so strong. It was weird to me. I couldn’t understand why God would call me to go to seminary, when I was a woman, and couldn’t be a pastor or preacher. I also couldn’t understand, because I was happy in my teaching position, and a Master’s Degree in Divinity would not have given me any increments, teaching in the public school system.

Little did I know that I would soon become too sick to teach, and have to go on disability, for the rest of my teaching career. Then, in about 2005, I was in a small Baptist church and the pastor was calling the young men in the church to go to seminary. I heard the voice of God so clearly telling me to go! My daughter & I had been looking for something for me to do, because I was on good meds, my RA was under control. But doing a Master’s in Education, or even Physical Geography, or Environmentalism, which my undergrad degree had been in, didn’t seem right. Plus, my daughter was leaving to go to University herself, so I wanted to continue learning, even if I didn’t go to work.

When I heard that call, I knew God was giving me a second chance. The pastor needed to sign the forms, he didn’t believe women could be pastors. He asked me if that was my goal. God never called me to be a pastor, so I was able to clearly say, no, that wasn’t my goal. Although certainly seminary equipped me with skills and knowledge to be in leadership. I’ve lead many Internet forums, some Christian. Right now, I lead a large FB group for people with RA. I’m able to share my testimony, to direct people to find help for this disease, and also able to comfort people. I’ve made many friends, including people from other lifestyles & background. And be a testimony to what Jesus has done in my life. I do teach the Bible, and I was preaching in my church, but since COVID I haven’t been well enough, although I am over long COVID.

I will stand by my post that anyone wanting to be a pastor, ie called by God, needs training and lots of it. People that are super spiritual & unwilling to learn, probably aren’t as spiritual as they would like to pretend. I just know I spent 25 years reading the Bible every day, studying it, reading through the Bible yearly, and thinking myself very spiritual, and I never learned a tenth as much in those 25 years as the years I spent in seminary. I learned Greek & Hebrew. And most important, proper Hermeneutics, which is essential to good doctrine. Bad hermeneutics is why there is so much bad doctrine, esp from super spiritual people, who think they know more than other people. Study to show yourself approved, is best done in a formal situation. I’m not talking about apostate, mainline seminaries. No one should go there. But seminaries that believe & teach the Word of God is true, is what I am speaking about.

I feel sorry for anyone that is called of God and is unable to go to seminary, for whatever reason. And I am so thankful God called me twice, and gave me that second chance to study the Word, and learn so much about Biblical backgrounds, Biblical counselling, about each book of the Bible, and a thousand other things, from the importance of prayer, to personal reflection and spiritual growth. The truly spiritual person should never be afraid to learn from others, and grow as a result of good mentoring and direction. Anyone who thinks God is going to reinvent the wheel every time he calls someone, probably is deluding themselves as to their calling! God uses other humans to teach us & train us. Even Paul studied under Rabbis. True, God did single him out & teach him, but then, Paul did write a lot of our New Testament. No one needs that kind of training these days, since the canon is closed. None of us is going to be re-writing the Bible!

But I guess if you knew anything about theology, you would realize that we do need to learn church history, and theology - ohh! The doctrines of men! Not really, theology must come out of the Bible, but people who are unwilling to learn from others will never understand that.

I remember a friend of mine, who became a doctor, telling me that it was ok to learn from others, in my pre-Christian days. I was an arrogant, selfish person in those days, felt my own intellect would get me there just as fast! Glad God was able to teach me the important lesson that not only could I learn from other people, but it was necessary.

selahsays

May 31, 2023
I was called to follow Jesus, the Word of God. Yep, the Bible is my textbook.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
"Those who aren't against us are for us".......
We don't know the end from the beginning and don't know but what His hand may be on that persons life all the time, the Creator knew the thief on the cross would repent and be saved regardless of the mess he had made of his life to get crucified.
best wishes:)

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I was called to follow Jesus, the Word of God. Yep, the Bible is my textbook.
" My sheep know my voice"... Notice He didn't say "My sheep read my book", grated He can reach us through His word, but we don't stop there.
blessings:)

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I know when I ask Him to reveal His word as I read He will often cause specific words to stand out, we are then to take these words that He has revealed in His communication to us and go to Him as we meditate .:)
Blessings

selahsays

May 31, 2023
God is so good. He gave us His Word to read about Him. God has foretold us all things. It is written. IMG_0055.jpg Bless you too, shittim.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
We will be careful to not stop at mere salvation and rest there, we will grow in Him as much as He desires us to grow.
Jesus commands to heal, cleanse, cast , etc.:)
blessings

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
What a stupid answer! Of course I was only speaking to people that God called to seminary, to preach. Why would I be telling anyone to go to seminary who hadn’t heard God’s call on their hearts & lives?
LOL -----:ROFL:

What a Stupid reply -----you can't have any idea if the person is saved or not when you tell them they need to go to Seminary School ------especially if your texting someone that you can't see ----and even if you do see them you have no idea if God actually called them into the Ministry or they called themselves into Ministry ----many say --I think I was called ----but were they really ---Only God and the Person whom He called knows that ------You Don't

There are so many False Christians in the pulpit today ----who say they were called by God -------when they are in Fact not called by God at all ------Did you know that many child molesters go into the Ministry as they think it might help them stay out of that sin -but it doesn't work because they are False Christians -----Do some research on that -----are they called by God when they go to Seminary to be ordained ---I don't think so ---

Convicted Child Molester Becomes Ordained Minister

BellaOnline
http://www.bellaonline.com › articles › art63514

Convicted Child Molester Becomes Ordained Minister ... Mark Hourigan has officially been ordained as a minister for a local church in Louisville, Kentucky

Child sexual abuse and what the church can begin doing about it
https://religionnews.com/2014/01/09/startling-statistics/

As much of the nation was recently celebrating Christmas, a Memphis pastor was arrested for sexually abusing a 16-year-old family member.
What makes this heartbreaking story even more repugnant is that church and family members had been informed about the abuse two years earlier, but failed to report the crime to the police. Instead, they decided that the best response was to simply pray for the offender and hope for the best.
Tragically, this response to child sexual abuse by those within the church is not uncommon. Equally as tragic is that such responses fuel perpetrators to continue destroying the bodies and souls of untold numbers of children.

I say -----
Show me one Scripture in God's Word that says people today need to go to a Seminary School to be an ordained Minister and Preach the Gospel ---and to Know God ---------I await your answer

When the Scripture clearly says that no man need to teach you ------when you have the indwelling of the Holy spirit --Man cannot discern the truth of the scripture ----knowing about Man made Religions is futile -----Religion is the killer of the truth of Scripture -----All Religions are Man made -----all one needs to do is Follow THE WAY -----which is laid out in Scripture -----Jesus is the Way ---The truth and the Life -----and the Holy Spirit teaches all things needed to know to be a Minister of God -------

Jesus said this ----

Attachments

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Well, so much for His Peace manifesting in this thread....:unsure::unsure::unsure::):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
The wisdom that comes from God is however...But the wisdom that comes from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle...

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Well Folks ---this is a great plug in for attending a Seminary School and getting many degrees so you are well prepared to go out into the world and stand on a Pulpit and spout out what you learned in Seminary school about God ---and His Word -----

Here is my concern about all that is said here -----it is self driven ---and man driven ----------not one mention of being called by God to enter into the Ministry to have your heart and ears and mind open to grasp any teaching of His Word -----not one mention of following the direction of the Holy Spirit when studying the Word ----

This comment here -----
You have access to models who are kind and experienced people, with high levels of degrees in accredited institutions.------

I say
There is much talk about having a degree in this post -----Well hate to say it but degrees are only good in this world -----you see in this world degrees help you climb the ladder of success ----In God's world Degrees mean nothing nor does climbing up the ladder get you success ------In God's World you need to climb down the Ladder to be successful ----

Saying this Statement here in the Post --Even Jesus prepared himself before he began his ministry.

I say
To me shows---- lack of understanding ---trying to lump in Jesus preparation for His Ministry to a man driven Seminary preparation into Ministry ---- Jesus was fulfilling prophecy when He was preparing for His Ministry ----Humans are fulfilling their own want by going to a Man made Seminary school ------when you have no idea if the instructors are Born Again people or not -----if they have not the Holy Spirit then your getting Man's ideas only -----Many call themselves Christians but their hearts are far from God ------

All Born Again People are True Ministers -----The Holy Spirit is their Teacher not Man -----No amount of Seminary School or Degrees or Human instruction will ever give you what you need to understand a Spiritual God or His Word ---and everything you need to know to do Spiritual counseling is the Scripture ----there is not one thing that we humans go through emotionally or physically that God doesn't cover in His word -----and give instruction to overcome ------

This comment here ----
It gives you tools to counsel people, to preach, teach and care for God's people.

I say --------the only tool needed to Counsel people and care for God's People and Preach and Teach the truth of God's word is the Holy Spirit----- no Seminary needed in my view -------

So I say -------if one goes to a Seminary -----make sure your instructors and all who teach you are Holy Spirit indwelled true Christians -----so you get taught the Spiritual Truth of God's Word -----Not what man thinks about God and His Word ---Who is Jesus by the way ------

This is true, but I have found over the years that some form of formal training would be an asset in dealing with certain issues. Especially in areas where you are working with vulnerable or at risk people, homelessness, mental health, victims of abuse, etc.

Its always good to know how to fill out forms properly and know what information to disclose or keep confidential in certain situations.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
LOL -----:ROFL:

What a Stupid reply -----you can't have any idea if the person is saved or not when you tell them they need to go to Seminary School ------especially if your texting someone that you can't see ----and even if you do see them you have no idea if God actually called them into the Ministry or they called themselves into Ministry ----many say --I think I was called ----but were they really ---Only God and the Person whom He called knows that ------You Don't

There are so many False Christians in the pulpit today ----who say they were called by God -------when they are in Fact not called by God at all ------Did you know that many child molesters go into the Ministry as they think it might help them stay out of that sin -but it doesn't work because they are False Christians -----Do some research on that -----are they called by God when they go to Seminary to be ordained ---I don't think so ---

Convicted Child Molester Becomes Ordained Minister
BellaOnline
http://www.bellaonline.com › articles › art63514

Convicted Child Molester Becomes Ordained Minister ... Mark Hourigan has officially been ordained as a minister for a local church in Louisville, Kentucky

Child sexual abuse and what the church can begin doing about it
https://religionnews.com/2014/01/09/startling-statistics/

As much of the nation was recently celebrating Christmas, a Memphis pastor was arrested for sexually abusing a 16-year-old family member.
What makes this heartbreaking story even more repugnant is that church and family members had been informed about the abuse two years earlier, but failed to report the crime to the police. Instead, they decided that the best response was to simply pray for the offender and hope for the best.
Tragically, this response to child sexual abuse by those within the church is not uncommon. Equally as tragic is that such responses fuel perpetrators to continue destroying the bodies and souls of untold numbers of children.

I say -----
Show me one Scripture in God's Word that says people today need to go to a Seminary School to be an ordained Minister and Preach the Gospel ---and to Know God ---------I await your answer

When the Scripture clearly says that no man need to teach you ------when you have the indwelling of the Holy spirit --Man cannot discern the truth of the scripture ----knowing about Man made Religions is futile -----Religion is the killer of the truth of Scripture -----All Religions are Man made -----all one needs to do is Follow THE WAY -----which is laid out in Scripture -----Jesus is the Way ---The truth and the Life -----and the Holy Spirit teaches all things needed to know to be a Minister of God -------

Jesus said this ----

if i've got a perfectly good fist, why would i bother using a hammer to drive in nails?

because it is the right tool for the job.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
if i've got a perfectly good fist, why would i bother using a hammer to drive in nails?

because it is the right tool for the job.

The right tool for A Preaching Job is having the Holy Spirit ------anyone who is Born Again is a Minister and has the right tool to know and Preach the truth of God's Word ---not a man driven Seminary ---

Show me one scripture where Jesus said to His Disciples ---you have to Go to a worldly Seminary school and be taught the Logos Word by man -----before you can be a preacher of My Word -----

The Scriptures clearly says this -----The Holy Spirit will teach you all things -----and bring into Remembrance everything Jesus told them -----all born again people have the right tool already

I'll stick with the Holy Spirit for Preaching the Truth ----you can stick with your right tool ---The hammer ----which is made by man -and used in this Physical world for pounding in worldly nails to make Physical things -----and has no use in the Spiritual Realm ------:)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The right tool for A Preaching Job is having the Holy Spirit ------anyone who is Born Again is a Minister and has the right tool to know and Preach the truth of God's Word ---not a man driven Seminary ---

Show me one scripture where Jesus said to His Disciples ---you have to Go to a worldly Seminary school and be taught the Logos Word by man -----before you can be a preacher of My Word -----

The Scriptures clearly says this -----The Holy Spirit will teach you all things -----and bring into Remembrance everything Jesus told them -----all born again people have the right tool already

I'll stick with the Holy Spirit for Preaching the Truth ----you can stick with your right tool ---The hammer ----which is made by man -and used in this Physical world for pounding in worldly nails to make Physical things -----and has no use in the Spiritual Realm ------:)

"study to show thyself approved"

"fools despise knowledge"