Free from the law??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2022
I thought we are suppose to keep the law but then it says were free from the law??? What exactly does this mean???

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Read Galatians, especially chapters 2-4, and Hebrews, especially chapter 8. Your answer is there. :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

John 8:36 plus Romans 8:2 If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set you free from the law of sin and death.

:)

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
I thought we are suppose to keep the law but then it says were free from
the law??? What exactly does this mean???

A number of curses for failure to comply with the Law are listed at Lev
26:14-39, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:15-68. Those curses are
covenanted, i.e. contractual. Well; Jesus' people are not contracted with God
to comply with the covenant that Moses' people entered into with God per
Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy; so if and when Jesus' people
break the Law, they need not fear the covenant's retribution.

In point of fact: Jesus' people need not fear any curses whatsoever because
their association with God is based upon a different covenant wherein are no
curses for non compliance.
_

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
I thought we are suppose to keep the law but then it says were free from the law??? What exactly does this mean???
My View

It means you can't keep the 613 laws that God put in place ---if you break one law you have broken them all ----only Jesus could keep the laws ------the curse was in place for disobeying the laws -----so the Blessings of God for His people were nil in void as no man could keep them ---

Jesus kept the laws and brought the Blessings back into play for Believers ----the unbelievers are still under the curses of disobedience -----as is this World ------only Believers are under the Blessings as Believers are not under the law anymore but under Grace ----

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When the law that applies is written upon ur hearts, we do keep the law.

Iconoclast

May 27, 2017
As Christians we are no longer under the penalty of the broken law of God.
We are law keepers as we are under law to Christ.romans 13:8-10

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.
Romans 3:31

Oct 29, 2022

Dear brother in Christ, we are not free from the law but should seek to follow it wholeheartedly, below are some but nor all verses from different books of the new testament that asks us to follow the 10 commandments;

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Luk 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
2Jn 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

the 10 commandments;

Deu 5:6 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Deu 5:7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.

Deu 5:8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:

Deu 5:9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

Deu 5:10 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.

Deu 5:11 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Deu 5:12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.

Deu 5:13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:

Deu 5:14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Deu 5:15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

Deu 5:16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Deu 5:17 Thou shalt not kill.

Deu 5:18 Neither shalt thou commit adultery.

Deu 5:19 Neither shalt thou steal.

Deu 5:20 Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Deu 5:21 Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Blessings to you brothers.

Oct 29, 2022
Dear brothers in Christ, we are not free from the law but should seek to follow it wholeheartedly, below are some but nor all verses from different books of the OLD testament that asks us to follow the 10 commandments;

Exo 16:28 And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?
Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Exo 24:12 And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.
Deu 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
Deu 8:6 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.
Deu 8:11 Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day:
Deu 11:1 Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway.
Deu 11:13 And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul,
Deu 11:22 For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cleave unto him;
Deu 27:1 And Moses with the elders of Israel commanded the people, saying, Keep all the commandments which I command you this day.
Deu 27:10 Thou shalt therefore obey the voice of the LORD thy God, and do his commandments and his statutes, which I command thee this day.
Deu 30:10 If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
Deu 30:16 In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
Jos 22:5 But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the LORD charged you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.
1Ki 2:3 And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:
1Ki 6:12 Concerning this house which thou art in building, if thou wilt walk in my statutes, and execute my judgments, and keep all my commandments to walk in them; then will I perform my word with thee, which I spake unto David thy father:
1Ki 8:58 That he may incline our hearts unto him, to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and his statutes, and his judgments, which he commanded our fathers.
1Ki 8:61 Let your heart therefore be perfect with the LORD our God, to walk in his statutes, and to keep his commandments, as at this day.
1Ch 28:8 Now therefore in the sight of all Israel the congregation of the LORD, and in the audience of our God, keep and seek for all the commandments of the LORD your God: that ye may possess this good land, and leave it for an inheritance for your children after you for ever.
Neh 1:9 But if ye turn unto me, and keep my commandments, and do them; though there were of you cast out unto the uttermost part of the heaven, yet will I gather them from thence, and will bring them unto the place that I have chosen to set my name there..
Psa 103:20 Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.
Psa 111:7 The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure.
Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.
Psa 112:1 Praise ye the LORD. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.
Psa 119:6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
Psa 119:10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
Psa 119:19 I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me.
Psa 119:21 Thou hast rebuked the proud that are cursed, which do err from thy commandments.
Psa 119:32 I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.
Psa 119:35 Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
Psa 119:47 And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved.
Psa 119:48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.
Psa 119:60 I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments.
Psa 119:66 Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments.
Psa 119:73 JOD. Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments.
Psa 119:86 All thy commandments are faithful: they persecute me wrongfully; help thou me.
Psa 119:98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
Psa 119:115 Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.
Psa 119:127 Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.
Psa 119:131 I opened my mouth, and panted: for I longed for thy commandments.
Psa 119:143 Trouble and anguish have taken hold on me: yet thy commandments are my delights.
Psa 119:151 Thou art near, O LORD; and all thy commandments are truth.
Psa 119:166 LORD, I have hoped for thy salvation, and done thy commandments.
Psa 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.
Psa 119:176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments.
Pro 3:1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
Pro 4:4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
Pro 7:1 My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
Pro 7:2 Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
Pro 10:8 The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.
Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Isa 48:18 O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea:
Dan 9:4 And I prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments;
Amo 2:4 Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Judah, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have despised the law of the LORD, and have not kept his commandments, and their lies caused them to err, after the which their fathers have walked:

Blessings.

Oct 29, 2022
A number of curses for failure to comply with the Law are listed at Lev
26:14-39, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:15-68. Those curses are
covenanted, i.e. contractual. Well; Jesus' people are not contracted with God
to comply with the covenant that Moses' people entered into with God per
Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy; so if and when Jesus' people
break the Law, they need not fear the covenant's retribution.

In point of fact: Jesus' people need not fear any curses whatsoever because
their association with God is based upon a different covenant wherein are no
curses for non compliance.
_
yes we do mot need to follow some of the ceremonial laws for the levites but the 10 commandments YES!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Whoever keeps the whole law but stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
James 2:10

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome To Chat.

Simplicity In Christ, According To The Scriptures, Under Grace,
And God's New Law of faith, which worketh by love (Gal 5:6),
Christ Living In us, To Fulfil:

All Of His Law, In "One Word: Love thy neighbor as thyself!"
(
Galatians 5:14; Romans 13:8-10)

Grace Cancels (and "we are Free From") the OLD
"law of works!" (Rom 11:6)
+
"Keeping This ONE Word" Gives All The Glory To God!:

Rom_3:27​
"Where is boasting then? It is Excluded. By what​
law? of works? Nay: but by The Law of faith.​
OLD ↑ ↑ ↑ .......................................... New ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑​
-------------------------

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II).

Grace, Peace, And JOY!...

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
yes we do mot need to follow some of the ceremonial laws for the levites but the 10 commandments YES!
Scripture says otherwise:

Galatians 3:10 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the book of the Law." (emphasis added).

You either do EVERYTHING under the Law, which is impossible, or you are justified by faith in Christ Jesus. There is no middle ground.

Further, there is no verse in Scripture that separates the Law into different components. It's one Law; you break one commandment, you have broken the whole Law.