Galatian Conundrums

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

RickStudies

Sep 10, 2019
Galatian 2

7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Who knows what is going on in this passage?

E

eternally-gratefull

The circumcized refers to jews

The uncircumcised refers to gentiles

They went to the jews

Paul was sent to the gentiles

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
FYI: Matthew Henry's Commentary

(excerpt)

(Read Galatians 2:1-10)

Observe the apostle's faithfulness in giving a full account of the doctrine he had preached among the Gentiles, and was still resolved to preach, that of Christianity, free from all mixture of Judaism. This doctrine would be ungrateful to many, yet he was not afraid to own it. His care was, lest the success of his past labours should be lessened, or his future usefulness be hindered. While we simply depend upon God for success to our labours, we should use every proper caution to remove mistakes, and against opposers. There are things which may lawfully be complied with, yet, when they cannot be done without betraying the truth, they ought to be refused. We must not give place to any conduct, whereby the truth of the gospel would be reflected upon. Though Paul conversed with the other apostles, yet he did not receive any addition to his knowledge, or authority, from them. Perceiving the grace given to him, they gave unto him and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, whereby they acknowledged that he was designed to the honour and office of an apostle as well as themselves. They agreed that these two should go to the heathen, while they continued to preach to the Jews; judging it agreeable to the mind of Christ, so to divide their work. Here we learn that the gospel is not ours, but God's; and that men are but the keepers of it; for this we are to praise God. The apostle showed his charitable disposition, and how ready he was to own the Jewish converts as brethren, though many would scarcely allow the like favour to the converted Gentiles; but mere difference of opinion was no reason to him why he should not help them. Herein is a pattern of Christian charity, which we should extend to all the disciples of Christ.

(found here)

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geKeg2VnldCYwAOvpXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZDI2ZHZtBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM3BHZ0aWQDQTA2MDdfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1568261815/RO=10/RU=https://www.christianity.com/bible/commentary.php?com=mhc&b=48&c=2/RK=2/RS=u40eO_ghnP4e.viea0sg9ZNy3Ug-

7seasrekeyed

Why does verse 7 refer to 2 different gospels?
not at all. just one gospel

Paul is referring to Jews on the one hand...the circumcision

and Gentiles on the other...uncircumcision

there is only one gospel

here is the same verse worded in a more understandable format:

On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised. ESV

that is what happens when only the KJ is consulted. if a person is brought up on it, as I was, they ususally have an easier time of it

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
This passage must be understood in view of the fact that (a) Saul of Tarsus was originally a strict Pharisee who persecuted Christians, (b) he was never a disciple of Christ when the Lord was on earth, and (c) he received His Gospel and many other revelations directly from the Risen Lord.

However, after Saul was converted to Paul and began preaching Christ, the other apostles began to see that he was indeed the 12th apostle, and the replacement for Judas Iscariot.

Furthermore, they also noted that Peter was given the Gospel to the Jews (called the circumcision) while Paul was given the Gospel to the Gentiles (the uncircumcision). While the Gospel is identical, the apostolic commission was not identical. Each and every apostle was given his own mission field. At the same time both Peter and Paul preached to both Jews and Gentiles.

Indeed, Paul made it a point in his missionary journeys to always attend the synagogue in each city of the Roman empire, and preach Christ to the Jews first, and then to the Gentiles. Eventually -- because of Jewish unbelief -- he turned away from the Jews and ministered only to Gentiles.

So this passage is telling us that all the apostles were in agreement as to which ministry was given to which apostle, and there was no conflict. We see here that Paul was now fully accepted by all the other apostles, and later on Peter would call him "our beloved brother Paul" and confirm that ALL his epistles were in fact Scripture -- the Word of God.

RickStudies

Sep 10, 2019
All good comments and I wouldn`t bother splitting hairs with anyone who believes in just one gospel. There are however two different groups of churches. The difference between the two is law keeping. The circumcision continued to keep the law and the uncircumcision practiced the liberty given to Gentiles in Acts 15. This is all in the Bible.

Any thoughts?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Galatian 2

7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Using a modern translation might help you understand your Bible more easily. Wading through 16th-century terminology is enough to lead many people to frustration and confusion. :)

Jun 10, 2019
All good comments and I wouldn`t bother splitting hairs with anyone who believes in just one gospel. There are however two different groups of churches. The difference between the two is law keeping. The circumcision continued to keep the law and the uncircumcision practiced the liberty given to Gentiles in Acts 15. This is all in the Bible.

Any thoughts?
valueless

Gal 5
6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018

RickStudies

Sep 10, 2019

RickStudies

Sep 10, 2019
valueless

Gal 5
6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
Yes and that creates a sort of equality between the two groups.

RickStudies

Sep 10, 2019
Using a modern translation might help you understand your Bible more easily. Wading through 16th-century terminology is enough to lead many people to frustration and confusion. :)
I used to study a living Bible alongside the King James. It was very helpful in understanding King James but I outgrew the need to do that about 30 years ago. Also used a dictionary quite a bit.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Galatian 2

Paul was going to preach to the Gentiles (uncircumcision).

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Galatian 2

Simple the Apostles came to an agreement that Peter James and John would focus their ministry on preaching to the Jews ( the circumcision ) and Paul and Barnabas would focus on preaching to the Gentiles ( the uncircumcision)

Mar 28, 2016
Galatian 2

Same gospel for the Jew or the Gentile. God puts no difference when purifying hearts of mankind by a work of his faith or labor of love. For he that wrought effectually as a work of faith in Peter to both will and do the good pleasures of the father.(imputed righteousness)

Not havening to do with the flesh of nations. But did have to do with offering ones unseen Spirit life in jeopardy of his own Spirit life. A metaphor called the "drinking of blood" as it relates to mankind and the gospel

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Paul to the gentiles and Peter to the tribes of Israel...…........

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
2 Corinthians, Chapter 11:

1 Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.
2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Ephesians, Chapter 4:

1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

There is but ONE Church, ONE Gospel! There may be/and are a whole lot of folks in different groups believing/teaching/preaching different things than the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but they ARE NOT part of His Church. Scripture is crystal clear that Christ is THE ONLY WAY to Eternal Life!

Nothing in the Law can save anyone! Nothing. The Jews who continue to practice their Religion are as lost as any other group of people alive today. By continuing to practice their Religion, they are DENYING Jesus Christ, and that act alone will condemn them. This isn't me saying this, it is Scriptural Truth because Christ Himself said it!

Matthew, Chapter 10:
32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Luke, Chapter 12:
8 Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:
9 But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.

John, Chapter 14:
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

As for the Jews specifically: The Apostle Paul said this.....

Romans, Chapter 12:

21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.

ONE CHURCH! ONE WAY! ONE GOD! ONE SAVIOUR! ONE GOSPEL!
Any who teach different are false teachers in my opinion....