God killed the wrong prophet? 1 Kings13:18

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GreenNnice

You know what's worse than a false prophet? A disobedient one.
_____
Exactly. To be appointed a prophet or teacher or tongues or ?? anything good to glorify Him is a great thing to be given by God and misusing (abusing) that appointment will come with grave consequences, per the man of God story in 1 Kings 13.

So....

...being a prophet was a great CALLING of God on your life and that means that this phrase comes into play: To whom much has been given much will be required. Sure, this could be speaking of many things, but 'much' certainly applies to an appointment of one who prophesies, on of THE gifts of the Spirit. (1 Cor. 12:10)

It was a great blessing by God for this man of God to be this person in this area of the world and the moG chose not to listen to God after awhile. For some reason, we know not why, but we DO KNOW that the consequences of this act of not calling on God for wisdom of the situation presented by the false prophet of being a prophet too was a grand consequence. When you are in cahoots with GOD through direct revelation, and some dude, even an 'old prophet' who is older than you so respected, who too tells YOU that he too is being told by the word of the Lord that he wanted the man of God to go with him to his house for bread and water, YOU better consult God !

The consequence of not consulting God for this man of God was DEATH :( And, surely this man of God made a mistake that ended his human life but God granted mercy on the man of God's soul and he did go to Heaven. :)

I believe, too, like Cain, IF the man of God had repented of his disobedience, God would have spared him, but, sigh, the man of God did not say anything AFTER God SPOKE through the old prophet that he had dishonored him greatly

________
So, IF God makes you a pastor of a church, youth pastor, clergy, etc., KNOW that you are getting called to a great thing, one of incredible proportions, do not return that blessing of the Lord with a deaf ear, ignoring Him when He is the One who is speaking to you to do things in your ministry.

I see a GREAT parallelism of a pastor's duty with that of this man of God's duty. But, I do not want to pick on pastors, per se ( I LOVE those that teach me more and more of Christ, God and His Holy Spirit, and understand the magnitude and measure of their GREAT CALLING Read 1 Timothy 3 :) ), this parallelilsm can APPLY to any work God has appointed you in charge of , from running a small business or even a Fortune 500 company.

I will leave you with what God requires of someone entrusted with a gift....

1 Timothy 4:14-16

14 "Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership (This is speaking of a gift of knowledge imparted to others, like being appointed by God as a pastor, but surely this verse can refer to any gift given by God to you, like, yes, the gift of prophecy)

15 "Meditate on these things, give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all."

16 "Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.
'

The man of God did not take heed himself (going against God's will by not asking Him for wisdom for what old prophet said was 'the word of the Lord,' and, he was, therefore, not saved, as scripture says.

And, please, keep in mind, this, 'not saved,' is a literal translation, not figurative, as I already said the act of disobedience to God was just an act of not embracing the grace (gift of prophecy) God gave the man of God. He was not saved to stay on Earth but man of God WAS saved still and went to Heaven. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
keep asking questions,,,,,,,,,,,,don't not ask them,,,,,,,,,,,,,some who have first scolded you most are "very ,very intelligent",,,,,others come when they smell blood,,,,,,,if you ask how they fell over the cliff they will say they did not,,and then they will think ,,and they will say,,,,well we all did,,,,,,,,,,,and a few are a,,,,,"very,, very smart",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the questions ,,,, some may ask will revile,,,,,,the end of the matter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the amount in the hand,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
keep asking questions,,,,,,,,,,,,don't not ask them,,,,,,,,,,,,,some who have first scolded you most are "very ,very intelligent",,,,,others come when they smell blood,,,,,,,if you ask how they fell over the cliff they will say they did not,,and then they will think ,,and they will say,,,,well we all did,,,,,,,,,,,and a few are a,,,,,"very,, very smart",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the questions ,,,, some may ask will revile,,,,,,the end of the matter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the amount in the hand,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I am calling on those near edge of the cliff, though many turn back in anger.. they still continue on the path... that I am warning of.. and so the others continue to follow in vain....

If they do not listen to their Shepherd, why will they listen to a fellow sheep?
Do we look on and wait for the Shepherd's return or do we keep trying to sound like him?

G

GreenNnice

-----
Yes, assuming iamok is speaking here ^ of StarryGazingPilgrim. I agree, Av, and, PeterT, speak with God knowledge, it is good, but , and this goes for all of the scholarly, just because you can throw words around authoritatively, of Christ even, His words/others in the Word doesn't mean you should. In fact, to 'throw' in this way will not be considered false teaching but will be exacted of punishment by God per scripture somewhere I am sure (sorry, no verses) for what they say, concerning yelling at others, both loudly with words, and, quietly speaking hurts to one another sisters and brothers on c.c.
I do not judge, MY opinión of thought, and, I pray best for all but just know words carry meaning and consequences in scripture and I will find insts
Ances if anyone asks. The Lord leads. :)

Don't worry of anyone else, sGP, CanadaNZ, as, ultimately, your judge, jury, keeper, is God, YOU, sure, want to help/ answer/encourage/edify others but ALL of our ultimate plans are in His hands, from Him, detailed as uniquely/beautifully/amazingly as the making of the universe. Our lives' glory is known by God before we are even born (psalms 139) :)
And I pray all I have said in this thread has broke down but built us all up to a greater understanding of scripture and God's extreme handling of the man of God, who was , I can only guess being completely taken care of by God in life (his quartermaster ! ) and the moG, like 'Lot,' turned His back on God's providence in his life and was exampleized because God had no choice but to mete what was not followed, in this casé, going back on a road, KNOWING that God did NOT want man of God to travel.

I am thankful for situations in my life where I made an error, whether it was not tithing rightly or ?? whatever, and, though I received extreme punishment for the sin, God spared me much worse. Praise be to God, my Lord, my God , my Saviour, my leader, I pray, forevermore.
To God be the glory !

God bless everyone of you for your helping others in Love understand the great truths of the Word , understanding The Truth :)

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
-----
Yes, assuming iamok is speaking here ^ of StarryGazingPilgrim. I agree, Av, and, PeterT, speak with God knowledge, it is good, but , and this goes for all of the scholarly, just because you can throw words around authoritatively, of Christ even, His words/others in the Word doesn't mean you should. In fact, to 'throw' in this way will not be considered false teaching but will be exacted of punishment by God per scripture somewhere I am sure (sorry, no verses) for what they say, concerning yelling at others, both loudly with words, and, quietly speaking hurts to one another sisters and brothers on c.c.
I do not judge, MY opinión of thought, and, I pray best for all but just know words carry meaning and consequences in scripture and I will find insts
Ances if anyone asks. The Lord leads. :)

Don't worry of anyone else, sGP, CanadaNZ, as, ultimately, your judge, jury, keeper, is God, YOU, sure, want to help/ answer/encourage/edify others but ALL of our ultimate plans are in His hands, from Him, detailed as uniquely/beautifully/amazingly as the making of the universe. Our lives' glory is known by God before we are even born (psalms 139) :)
And I pray all I have said in this thread has broke down but built us all up to a greater understanding of scripture and God's extreme handling of the man of God, who was , I can only guess being completely taken care of by God in life (his quartermaster ! ) and the moG, like 'Lot,' turned His back on God's providence in his life and was exampleized because God had no choice but to mete what was not followed, in this casé, going back on a road, KNOWING that God did NOT want man of God to travel.

I am thankful for situations in my life where I made an error, whether it was not tithing rightly or ?? whatever, and, though I received extreme punishment for the sin, God spared me much worse. Praise be to God, my Lord, my God , my Saviour, my leader, I pray, forevermore.
To God be the glory !

God bless everyone of you for your helping others in Love understand the great truths of the Word , understanding The Truth :)

Stop soothing yourself with your own words, we are not writing books, or asking for donations, we are speaking the truth, and if we be out of line with the most High then we will be judged and punished, for it is only he that knows our intentions.

Because people disagree with your ways, does not mean they are not doing it out of love...
All those that agree with me are loving and right, all those that go against me are....

“Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers’ guilt. Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell? Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

G

GreenNnice

Stop soothing yourself with your own words, we are not writing books, or asking for donations, we are speaking the truth, and if we be out of line with the most High then we will be judged and punished, for it is only he that knows our intentions.

Because people disagree with your ways, does not mean they are not doing it out of love...
All those that agree with me are loving and right, all those that go against me are....

“Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers’ guilt. Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell? Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
----
Re-read what I said, loveme, and, thanks for the compliment, I like my writing through my God (and yours) writeworthy :)

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Peace and Love my friend. We need not continue on who is right, for we both know Almighty Yahweh is right, through Yeshua his son, we can be redeemed.

I respect your free will.

I offer the truth that I believe to be of my Yahweh Almighty God.

All that comes to pass, will pass for good.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Ouch harsh, he is just stating he doesn't understand why God did what he did because he would have done something different. Anyone honest would admit to quietly or openly questioning God at some point, there is nothing wrong with wanting to understand why God would do something.
My faith tells me God is good all of the time, and if one reads in His Word anything at all that sounds BAD, one should follow the good example of Mary, note it, and keep it to yourself. I know my Maker is Perfect, and I know He is Love. I also know He does not make errors. I have to be totally with Avinu on this matter. After all, to approach our Maker we must turn and become as children, for we are His Children. If anyone considers himself capable of discussing matters with the Source of all wisdom and knowledge as one adult to another, I am sorry for that person.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My faith tells me God is good all of the time, and if one reads in His Word anything at all that sounds BAD, one should follow the good example of Mary, note it, and keep it to yourself. I know my Maker is Perfect, and I know He is Love. I also know He does not make errors. I have to be totally with Avinu on this matter. After all, to approach our Maker we must turn and become as children, for we are His Children. If anyone considers himself capable of discussing matters with the Source of all wisdom and knowledge as one adult to another, I am sorry for that person.
I forgot to mention, I would put that person, the adult, with all those folks these days who pass on something from God's work and so authoratatively say they "agree" with God. I don't think God has ever asked me if I agree with anything in His Word, but He has asked me to believe. Where is faith when one puts himself in the position to have the authority to simply agree?

S

Stargazing_Pilgrim

I'm glad that I didn't ask the question, "Why did JESUS not prevent his 'friend' Judas from betraying HIM. HE could have, or couldn't HE?

U

unclefester

I'm glad that I didn't ask the question, "Why did JESUS not prevent his 'friend' Judas from betraying HIM. HE could have, or couldn't HE?
I have to suppose that He could have had He so desired and by the same token, He could have prevented you from asking any of your questions as well. But in His infinite wisdom He chooses not to. And each of us are left to seek His truth with our limited finite minds. I have to believe that our intellectual limitations are but only one reason for God's requirement that we search for Him with all of our hearts. As many have already learned by His grace freely given to us through faith, it is only in this manner that it is possible to begin to understand His perfect love for all of us.

L

luciddream1982

Joh 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; THAT THE SCRIPTURE MIGHT BE FULFILLED.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Joh 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; THAT THE SCRIPTURE MIGHT BE FULFILLED.
Well put...

G

GreenNnice

-----
StarGazingPilgrim, on Earth Jesus was capable of doing ANYTHING he wanted as a common man on Earth ....

He had the Divine power and authority from His father, but Jesus PERMITTED everything to happen, as it was prophesied by Isaiah, in, Malachi, and, pretty sure, other books of the Old Testament predict this coming greatest Love of all event in history.

A Saviour of the world would be born to save humankind from sin and death by His dying on the cross and God above orchestrated this to happen through the antagonistic figure, Judas of Iscariot.

Jesus even asked God in the garden of Gethsemane if he could be excused of what was to come--the crucifixtion of Jesus, so that sin could be atoned and death beaten, 'Take this cup from me, but not my will, but thy will be done.'

Jesus pleaded, His Father, God, did not answer.

So to speak, the show had to go on.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
,,,but you after figuring,,,and naming names,,,an wise old owl,,, and some of them can ask a pretty question,,,,,,,,,,

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
lol,,,,,,point is "stargazing -Pilgrim",,,,,you forgot all about him,,,,,,when you summed us all up,,,,,,,you didn't notice he had read the bible years ago,,,and he'd been thinking about it most of his life,,,,,,,,,,,scratching my head,,,,,,stargazing pilgrim,,,,,,,,this is how they saw it,,,"this is how i see some things,,,and (i do not see me "iamsoandso" as special,i am a man), there are pointers(just get to the point),,and there are painters(they seem to try to paint you a picture of it), "i suppose me to be an painter,so please suffer me to speak,,an so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i once read about a man,, and this is what i saw ,,,there was two mountains,,,and a river ran out from between the mountains down the valley of it and the bushes and the trees on both sides were on fire,,,and the river was on fire also,,up the river there was a cave and it had a swinging door,,,and it only swung in,,all the water of fire swept through the cracks around the door,and pushed it closed from the inside,,,,now you can pry the door open from the outside and sneak into one of the cracks,,,,but if you go inside the fire and the water is pushing so hard on the inside of the door you will not be able to come back out,,,,,that is you were born a baby,, and you did not know,, and you walked all your days and looked at both sides of the mountians,,and the things you said to "it is so",,,and kept it and to the other you said "not so",,,and it was cast into the river and was carried away in the fire,,,,you know or you do not know,,,you are innocent or you are guilty,,,,you may choose to pry the door open,and go inside,,,but if you do when you are inside and "you know",,,,,,,,,,you cannot go back out and be a baby again "when you did not know",,,,,,you cannot unlearn the thing you find on the other side of the swinging door,, and if you fall after you know,,,you will find the only way out of the cave that i told you,,,the worm of you will go to the door, and it will become the river of fire,and be pushed through the cracks of it, and carried away down the river between the two mountains,,,,it will be as the matter of the earth it will corrupt and return to the atoms,, and the particles of it will be pulled down to the earth in its center and consumed,,,,,,,,,,,stargazing pilgrim,,,,,,on the inside of the door there is no judgment,,, and water flows between the mountains on both sides of it,,,,,,,,,,most will argue with the words of me and others will find it in the scripture,,,,,,,,,,i am in the midst of loving you

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Destiny.......

Everything that comes to pass, for the harvest...

Before you ask why Almighty Yahweh did not stop Adam and Eve from eating bad fruit, remember free will... You are loved, but will you love back? and be obedient? that is the question........ We are all learning that we are nothing without our Almighty Yahweh our God.

Almighty Yahweh our God, is teaching us a lesson, we have a chance to accept the gift of Salvation and overpower the bad nature in us with his Holy spirit.
It all comes down to free will.
Yeshua was the sacrifice and did what none of us could, through Yeshua our Saviour we can be forgiven by Almighty Yahweh our God.

Last edited:
G

GreenNnice

I think the question was worded wrong, if you wanted to understand it then why not say, I do not understand why the Prophet was killed etc.. anyone help me understand this....

I find the question insulting, but i do not think it was intended to be insulting, not all ask things in the correct way, of course Yahweh never does wrong, all he does is for good, sometimes we can not see this straight away, but in the end we will.

The prophet was told to continue, the old man lied to the young man, I think this is a lesson for us all.

If Almighty Yahweh tells you to do something then do it.

Let no man come to you and take you away from the work you were told to do.

Though i also was a little surprised by this at the time of reading it, I soon understood that we must listen and obey.
Both Prophets learnt a lesson. The Old man was wrong, but he did not pay with his life, he lived with what he had done.

Excellent said words of situation, loveme, exactly do NOT abandon God's HEARD call on your life. A person who prophesies directly HEARS from God. The man of God undoubtably HEARD God tell him so many things and this man of God not only HEARD but he SAW things happen by God, like altar splitting, or, SIGNS of God's protection for him like when King Jeroboam stuck out his hand in signal for his men to 'arrest' the man of God and King J's hands withered as he stretched them out with the command.

Just doing summation, as I see this clearly now WHY it was such a great disobedience by the man of God to go back the way he came when God directly told him NOT to do that. In essence, the man of God spited God .

Just can't do that to God and live , in this casé, God accomplished purpose of His divine providence that unfolds in great revelation and story from 'In the beginning,' in first words of Génesis to the last word, 'Amen,' in Revelations.

May the peace and Love and insight to bless others from almighty God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit go with you

Destiny.......

Everything that comes to pass, for the harvest...

Before you ask why Almighty Yahweh did not stop Adam and Eve from eating bad fruit, remember free will... You are loved, but will you love back? and be obedient? that is the question........ We are all learning that we are nothing without our Almighty Yahweh our God.

Almighty Yahweh our God, is teaching us a lesson, we have a chance to accept the gift of Salvation and overpower the bad nature in us with his Holy spirit.
It all comes down to free will.
Yeshua was the sacrifice and did what none of us could, through Yeshua our Saviour we can be forgiven by Almighty Yahweh our God.
Yes ! Great wisdom in these ^ words ..Prsise God we all can hear them and , hopefully, prayerfully, use them to build up others and bring others to Christ. ,)

lol,,,,,,point is "stargazing -Pilgrim",,,,,you forgot all about him,,,,,,when you summed us all up,,,,,,,you didn't notice he had read the bible years ago,,,and he'd been thinking about it most of his life,,,,,,,,,,,scratching my head,,,,,,stargazing pilgrim,,,,,,,,this is how they saw it,,,"this is how i see some things,,,and (i do not see me "iamsoandso" as special,i am a man), there are pointers(just get to the point),,and there are painters(they seem to try to paint you a picture of it), "i suppose me to be an painter,so please suffer me to speak,,an so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i once read about a man,, and this is what i saw ,,,there was two mountains,,,and a river ran out from between the mountains down the valley of it and the bushes and the trees on both sides were on fire,,,and the river was on fire also,,up the river there was a cave and it had a swinging door,,,and it only swung in,,all the water of fire swept through the cracks around the door,and pushed it closed from the inside,,,,now you can pry the door open from the outside and sneak into one of the cracks,,,,but if you go inside the fire and the water is pushing so hard on the inside of the door you will not be able to come back out,,,,,that is you were born a baby,, and you did not know,, and you walked all your days and looked at both sides of the mountians,,and the things you said to "it is so",,,and kept it and to the other you said "not so",,,and it was cast into the river and was carried away in the fire,,,,you know or you do not know,,,you are innocent or you are guilty,,,,you may choose to pry the door open,and go inside,,,but if you do when you are inside and "you know",,,,,,,,,,you cannot go back out and be a baby again "when you did not know",,,,,,you cannot unlearn the thing you find on the other side of the swinging door,, and if you fall after you know,,,you will find the only way out of the cave that i told you,,,the worm of you will go to the door, and it will become the river of fire,and be pushed through the cracks of it, and carried away down the river between the two mountains,,,,it will be as the matter of the earth it will corrupt and return to the atoms,, and the particles of it will be pulled down to the earth in its center and consumed,,,,,,,,,,,stargazing pilgrim,,,,,,on the inside of the door there is no judgment,,, and water flows between the mountains on both sides of it,,,,,,,,,,most will argue with the words of me and others will find it in the scripture,,,,,,,,,,i am in the midst of loving you
--
Excellent , iamso.