Golden Rule living or Holy Spirit led living?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 24, 2018
***The Golden Rule (“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” is similarly in 20 Holy Books other than the Bible. I teach the Golden Rule this way and live it most of the time: "Think before I say or do things, would I want them said or done to me." Most of our mistakes are when we are too hasty in communicating and don't take time to think of the possible consequences and ask God to guide us via His Holy Spirit. This is why I don't do chat rooms, even though with Holy Spirit help I have done quite well in all of the Bible discussion groups in churches and in homes. We would have a wonderful world if such was done a lot more, but anxiousness and selfishness usually stop such. That verse is actually secular and humanistic. It doesn't mention God or Jesus. In the past 15 years of Internet ministering this issue and unforgiveness have been very prevalent. But the better way of living is indicated in Romans 8 and Galatians 5:1-6:10. What is indicated in those Bible passages for daily living? What do you think is Resurrection living?

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I think loving others as we love ourselves is such a powerful message of instruction. He showed us exactly what unbridled sacrificial love looks like. Oh I pray that I love as we are called. I agree, though, we often lead with our flesh. We need His agape perfected, unconditional love and mercy. Whenever I see ugly actions and reactions from me or anyone else, I think this is why we need to love and forgive more. We need to show Him. He is what we all need in our hearts, more and more.

Sep 3, 2016
Just because a Believer is Spirit-filled doesn't mean they are Spirit-led. Most Christians are practicing Salvation by "Faith," and Sanctification by "Self." Galatians 3:3

JSM

Oct 24, 2018
I think loving others as we love ourselves is such a powerful message of instruction. He showed us exactly what unbridled sacrificial love looks like. Oh I pray that I love as we are called. I agree, though, we often lead with our flesh. We need His agape perfected, unconditional love and mercy. Whenever I see ugly actions and reactions from me or anyone else, I think this is why we need to love and forgive more. We need to show Him. He is what we all need in our hearts, more and more.
Very good summary, Charti. The Two Great Commandments are in both the Old and New Testaments, and all of the commandments in the Bible relate to either of them. The Ten Commandments can be divided into 2 groups because of that fact. Why don't we have to memorize the New Testament commandments?

Also most Christian church attendees don't actually understand or know agape love and 98% of the USA couples shouldn't have got married because they married for selfish reasons: for phileo and eros love or status improvement or for more money to use. Most pastors and justices of the peace do not teach couples about the Biblical requirements for a God-pleasing marriage.

I pray frequently for what is needed a lot more in the above in your posting and what I have posted to be done. Much repentance especially for the Christian leaders. But I am not holding my breath for such to happen. Religious routines and lack of careful Bible teaching and denominational/Catholic/cult prejudices dominates. denominational/Catholic/cult prejudices. How can God keep patient much longer? Please join with me daily in praying for the needed church reforms.

I just posted this in another site:
I meant that the Golden Rule can be considered not spiritual and could be even wrongly considered psychological. But the indicated Romans 8 and Galatians 5:1-6:10 indicate living according to the Holy Spirit are completely the right spiritual uses of time.

In regards to forgiveness--
Luke 17:3
“Take heed to yourselves:
If your brother [or sister] trespass against you,
rebuke him [or her];
and if he [or she] repents,
forgive him [or her].”

We as humans can't forget wrongs done against us, but we still should pray for those who have done wrong against us that they will become sensitive to the Holy Spirit convictions about their wrongs and make the appropriate confessions and changes to Christ-likeness. Repentance to righteousness is a major theme in the Bible along with Divine Love and Divine forgiveness and Divine compassion.

But Jesus Christ also commanded us to agapè love our enemies.
True Christians should be going for God's best in relating with all others.
So agapè is for spouses on down to even our enemies.
Think of a 10-1 scale:
10-9 love for enemies (with no praying for bad for them),
8-7 love for acquaintances at public places,
6-4 for best friends and relatives,
3-1 for Christian spouse.

(a) for forgiving-- Box
Note: The "1--" and "2--" items are what I considered the best.

Sep 3, 2016
Very good summary, Charti. The Two Great Commandments are in both the Old and New Testaments, and all of the commandments in the Bible relate to either of them. The Ten Commandments can be divided into 2 groups because of that fact. Why don't we have to memorize the New Testament commandments?

Also most Christian church attendees don't actually understand or know agape love and 98% of the USA couples shouldn't have got married because they married for selfish reasons: for phileo and eros love or status improvement or for more money to use. Most pastors and justices of the peace do not teach couples about the Biblical requirements for a God-pleasing marriage.

I pray frequently for what is needed a lot more in the above in your posting and what I have posted to be done. Much repentance especially for the Christian leaders. But I am not holding my breath for such to happen. Religious routines and lack of careful Bible teaching and denominational/Catholic/cult prejudices dominates. denominational/Catholic/cult prejudices. How can God keep patient much longer? Please join with me daily in praying for the needed church reforms.

I meant that the Golden Rule can be considered not spiritual and could be even wrongly considered psychological. But the indicated Romans 8 and Galatians 5:1-6:10 indicate living according to the Holy Spirit are completely the right spiritual uses of time.

rebuke him [or her];
forgive him [or her].”

We as humans can't forget wrongs done against us, but we still should pray for those who have done wrong against us that they will become sensitive to the Holy Spirit convictions about their wrongs and make the appropriate confessions and changes to Christ-likeness. Repentance to righteousness is a major theme in the Bible along with Divine Love and Divine forgiveness and Divine compassion.

Think of a 10-1 scale:

(a) for forgiving-- Box

rebuke him [or her];
forgive him [or her].”

Think of a 10-1 scale:

(a) for forgiving-- Box
How does a Christian keep the commandments of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ?

Oct 24, 2018
Just because a Believer is Spirit-filled doesn't mean they are Spirit-led. Most Christians are practicing Salvation by "Faith," and Sanctification by "Self." Galatians 3:3

JSM

I have grieved about such many times and done a lot of intercessory praying in response to my witnessing or reading about such. What do Ephesians 2 and the Epistle of James emphasize about Christian Sanctification? But like you indicated most Christian church attendees are just living secular humanism and many of them go to secular anti-Christianity psychologists or psychoanalysts. Did you know the Bobkins wrote a book titled Psychoheresy which documents the Founding Fathers of Psychology all despised Christians and Christianity. Like Dr. Freud did so because he witnessed his Dad being beaten up by "Christians"? But most pastors and church elders cannot do Biblical counseling like Dr. Jay E. Adams and Dr. Wayne Cook have taught in their books. And most of them are not carefully teaching Bible and providing for many Bible discussion group meetings (we learn and retain more in that method of education). I have free ways to do the latter.

I did this new thread because of what has already been mentioned. Thank you for your contribution. God bless you.

Oct 24, 2018
How does a Christian keep the commandments of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ?
Only by being sensitive to the Holy Spirit urgings by making time to commit to Proverbs 3:5-6 and Jude 20-23. Read this short Bible study tool:
***Very Important Teachings in John 13-17-- ETRS (7 pgs.)--
https://app.box.com/s/8uoyanljwo4l2trjqxokxemqbgztb9hk

For your information:
1-- New Testament commandments in groups with verses https://app.box.com/s/eptflx12r976xb2t569abnavicnsd3qo

Sep 3, 2016
Only by being sensitive to the Holy Spirit urgings by making time to commit to Proverbs 3:5-6 and Jude 20-23. Read this short Bible study tool:

For your information:
1-- New Testament commandments in groups with verses https://app.box.com/s/eptflx12r976xb2t569abnavicnsd3qo
The Holy Spirit keeps all commandments for the Believer by delivering us into the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ our Lord when our Faith is placed and maintained exclusively in Christ and the Cross of Calvary where the victory was won (always remember it is His life they brings victory, not ours). That is why it is called the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus (Rom. 8:2). Jesus said, "let him deny himself, and take up his cross.

Question? How do I deny myself and take up my cross daily so that the I (Believer) my receive all the benefits of this resurrection life (Luke 9:23)?

Oct 24, 2018
The Holy Spirit keeps all commandments for the Believer by delivering us into the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ our Lord when our Faith is placed and maintained exclusively in Christ and the Cross of Calvary where the victory was won (always remember it is His life they brings victory, not ours). That is why it is called the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus (Rom. 8:2). Jesus said, "let him deny himself, and take up his cross.

Question? How do I deny myself and take up my cross daily so that the I (Believer) my receive all the benefits of this resurrection life (Luke 9:23)?

I disagree. True Christian Sanctification is not automatic.
***The New Testament does not teach “Automatic Sanctification”.

A true Christian can be perfect only when he or she is sensitive to The Holy Spirit and Scripture

and doing what is being urged by them because they are perfect.

Anyone can be temporarily perfect

like in a 10 question quiz given by s teacher,

but true Christians are saved by God's Grace

for doing His predestined/preplanned works for each of His adopted children. See Ephesians 2:8-10.

Matthew 5:20

“For I say to you that unless your righteousness shall exceed that of the Scribes and Pharisees,

you shall in no case enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.”

(Attitudes and motives count according to God.)

Matthew 5:48

“Therefore be perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect.”

John 14:15 & 21

Jesus Christ said,

“If you love Me,

keep My commandments.

He [or she] who has My commandments and keeps them,

he [or she] it is who loves Me;

and he [or she] who loves Me shall be loved of My Father,

and I will love him [or her], and will manifest Myself to him [or her].”

And solution about how to take up the cross daily is in the following that I already posted for Charli:

Sep 3, 2016
Hebrews chapter 4 in telling the Believer that we must enter into God's rest which is called SANCTIFYING PEACE. Failure to do so, the Believer will die (spiritual) in the wilderness. Most do!

There are two kinds of peace with God the Father:

1. Justifying Peace - This is Peace with God, a legal standing (Rom. 5:1, 8:7; Eph. 2:14-15).
2. Sanctifying Peace - This is the Peace of God in the heart (Rom. 8:6, 14:19, 15:13; Gal. 1:3; 1 Thess. 5:23).

The first is the result of a legal standing. The second is the result of the Work of the Holy Spirit. The first is static, never fluctuates, the second changes almost from hour to hour. The first, every Christian has, the second, every Christian may have.

Sanctifying peace allows the Holy Spirit to deliver the Believer into the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, so that the life of Christ is manifested and lived through the Believer by the power of the Holy Spirit. This is a living sacrifice that is pleasing and acceptable to God (John 14:21, Rom. 8:2, 13; 2 Cor. 4:11; Gal. 2:20-21).

The LORD shall fight for you, and you shall hold your peace (Exodus 14:14). "In Justification, the Lord fights 'for' us, and in Sanctification, He fights 'in' us."

SANCTIFYING PEACE = The LORD's REST / ONLY A FEW FINDING IT (Matthew 7:13-14)

Question for all? How do we enter into His rest?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..
There is nothing wrong with the Golden Rule, since Christ also stated it thus:

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Mt 7:12)

The full teaching on the Law of Christ is expressed and explained in other parts of Scripture, and without the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit, we cannot truly love as God loves, since it is the agape love of God which is expressed in the two Greatest Commandments.

Sep 3, 2016

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Mt 7:12)

The full teaching on the Law of Christ is expressed and explained in other parts of Scripture, and without the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit, we cannot truly love as God loves, since it is the agape love of God which is expressed in the two Greatest Commandments.
The "Golden Rule," does not authorize capricious benevolent action, but only what is reasonable and morally helpful, and controlled by Divine imitation (Matthew 5:48); this principle of action and mode of life is, in fact, the sum of all Bible teaching.

JSM

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The "Golden Rule," does not authorize capricious benevolent action, but only what is reasonable and morally helpful, and controlled by Divine imitation (Matthew 5:48); this principle of action and mode of life is, in fact, the sum of all Bible teaching.

JSM
This information certainly has all the trappings of doctring excepting loving our enemies, returning good for evil, blessing those who curse us, turn the other cheek and so much more.

Had our Savior, Yeshua, taught the doctrine cited He probably would not have declared, "Father bless them for they know not what they do." That reference to "them" includes you and me.

God bless you in the love of Jesus Christ today an always, amen.

Oct 24, 2018

***I did not say there was anything wrong with it. I said that our country and our world would be so much better if more people lived it. But God has a better way to live which you indicated in your last statement.

Oct 24, 2018
Hebrews chapter 4 in telling the Believer that we must enter into God's rest which is called SANCTIFYING PEACE. Failure to do so, the Believer will die (spiritual) in the wilderness. Most do!

There are two kinds of peace with God the Father:

1. Justifying Peace - This is Peace with God, a legal standing (Rom. 5:1, 8:7; Eph. 2:14-15).
2. Sanctifying Peace - This is the Peace of God in the heart (Rom. 8:6, 14:19, 15:13; Gal. 1:3; 1 Thess. 5:23).

The first is the result of a legal standing. The second is the result of the Work of the Holy Spirit. The first is static, never fluctuates, the second changes almost from hour to hour. The first, every Christian has, the second, every Christian may have.

Sanctifying peace allows the Holy Spirit to deliver the Believer into the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, so that the life of Christ is manifested and lived through the Believer by the power of the Holy Spirit. This is a living sacrifice that is pleasing and acceptable to God (John 14:21, Rom. 8:2, 13; 2 Cor. 4:11; Gal. 2:20-21).

The LORD shall fight for you, and you shall hold your peace (Exodus 14:14). "In Justification, the Lord fights 'for' us, and in Sanctification, He fights 'in' us."

SANCTIFYING PEACE = The LORD's REST / ONLY A FEW FINDING IT (Matthew 7:13-14)

Question for all? How do we enter into His rest?

What do Hebrews 10:19-23, Romans 14:17 and Philippians 4:4-8 indicate?

***Lay on your bed or go outdoors in a quiet area where no one else is and wait on God for His spiritual gifts, even speaking in tongues if He desires to edify you in that way. Let God really enter in your life. God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit have their parts for doing such and help you live a supernatural life that will be of interest of others. And you can be part of the Great Commission as a Biblical teacher.

And the following information is all free:

1-- Kingdom Living PowerPoint Presentation--
https://app.box.com/s/e12jvn0b6a9pxas21ycmk9k544470la1

1-- Justification towards Glorification (2) -- ETRSF (11 pgs.)
https://app.box.com/s/h0ktubdx09ixbmi8pc08f35ziea31dde

***Two Kinds of Christians-- Part 1 in ETRSF (9 pgs.)
https://app.box.com/s/rgcw85mzd1mx09l2fh6o7wiol4x3r14d

1a) Thesis about Basic Christianity in ETRSF (51 pgs.)--
https://app.box.com/s/bx9mqm38ml4vgdn16bchs0d5453q3x02"

1b.) Abnormal True Children of God Scriptures-- in ETRSF (19 pgs.)--
https://app.box.com/s/qjhelfpshxs1f2moi999yvtthjp4xlzo

1c.) Great for finding great verses and contexts in ETRSF (240 pgs.)--

https://app.box.com/s/0axtq9gg3z7j7ikxa069kej8w5dohrmj

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You implied it: "The Holy Spirit keeps all commandments for the Believer".
Please share where this is taught. I must have passed over it the times I have read teh Word, perhaps I read it and simply misunderstood.....I would love to know where thaqt is in the Wrod. God bless you...j

Oct 24, 2018
Please share where this is taught. I must have passed over it the times I have read teh Word, perhaps I read it and simply misunderstood.....I would love to know where thaqt is in the Wrod. God bless you...j
***That was what MessageOfTheCross claimed and I said he was indicating automatic Sanctification for each believer by the Holy Spirit. I am also against the common easy believism doctrine being preached. The Bible's major themes include repentance to righteousness. That is what John the Baptist and Jesus Christ started with in their first sermons. But the Holy Spirit does not "yell" or be like a dictator in His urges. He "speaks" very quietly in our "hearts". We each have the right to do or reject what He urges. The best doctrine about the Holy Spirit is found in the following:

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
***That was what MessageOfTheCross claimed and I said he was indicating automatic Sanctification for each believer by the Holy Spirit. I am also against the common easy believism doctrine being preached. The Bible's major themes include repentance to righteousness. That is what John the Baptist and Jesus Christ started with in their first sermons. But the Holy Spirit does not "yell" or be like a dictator in His urges. He "speaks" very quietly in our "hearts". We each have the right to do or reject what He urges. The best doctrine about the Holy Spirit is found in the following:
Thank you so much. I really thought I had missed out on some understanding. Yes whe we commit ourselves to Jesus Christ we are expected to conduct ourselves as though we are truly grateful......you are so right, nothing is automatic.....Jesus says so if we hear Him, and obviously you do. God bless you always.