Half-truths and false doctrine.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego
Addressing the most accepted and detrimental lie: The sinners prayer does not exist.
You have to accept Christ as your savior.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The sinners prayer does not exist.
That is a lie. It does exist, but perhaps not as you imagine. You might want to study the Bible more carefully before proceeding any further.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Addressing the most accepted and detrimental lie: The sinners prayer does not exist.
hmm true you do to have to accept Jesus one can reject so great a salvation.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Welcome to CC... perhaps. It's a little counterproductive to come in swinging a club. However, to each his own.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
This would, in fact, require prayer. Glad to have you join us. Welcome to CC.

L

Locoponydirtman

Lol, I some what agree with ya, not that the sinners prayer don't exist, because early it does, but that it's kind of a weird doctrine based in decision theology. Kind of a revivalist idea if you will. As to whether it makes one saved is another thing, I don't believe the sinners prayer amounts to a hill of beans. What matters is do you believe, and confess. As Jesus said anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved and he who does not believe is condemned already. So to that extent I agree that saying a prayer at the coaxing of another person is nothing.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I think OP is saying it's a lie to say it doesn't exist....

L

Locoponydirtman

Clearly*

Feb 20, 2019
Totally agree!! complete fabrication!! jesus tells us how 2 pray in matt 6:8

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Pretty sure John 3:16 covers salvation........but, folks can pray a specific prayer, jump in a vat of water, or do whatever they believe will also do the trick. To each his own!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Watching this guy will be fun........................but he may not be around too long

PROFILE PAGE

BirthdayMay 28
Gendermale
Marital Statusnot married
Spiritual StatusChristian
When savedSometime in eternity past.
Country Flag/NationalityUSA
Country (Location)United States
Favorite Bible VerseJohn 6:63

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
Watching this guy will be fun........................but he may not be around too long

PROFILE PAGE

BirthdayMay 28
Gendermale
Marital Statusnot married
Spiritual StatusChristian
When savedSometime in eternity past.
Country Flag/NationalityUSA
Country (Location)United States
Favorite Bible VerseJohn 6:63
Indeed

Chester

May 23, 2016
Forget the sinner's prayer part . . . What about the "you have to accept Christ as your savior"?

I would instead say that you need to realize from a deep heart position that you need help and that you are a sinner without any chance of redemption or help by your own efforts. Then you need to hear about Jesus and "grab hold" of Him and believe in Him and his death and resurrection to save you from this miserable life of sin.

This is not a just "accept" transaction!

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
In regards to the sinner's prayer, saying a sinner's prayer will not accomplish anything on its own. I must have prayed the sinner's prayer 20 different times with Pat Robertson while watching the 700 Club when I was a teenager, yet nothing happened. Why? Because there was no repentance and faith. Such a prayer needs to include what a person knows, understands, and believes about their sinfulness and need for salvation, followed by repentance/faith. For a person who comes to the realization that he is lost and in need of Jesus Christ to save him, he may only obtain salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone. He needs to understand that Jesus Christ paid the penalty for his sins by His sacrifice on the cross of Calvary, was buried, and rose again the third day, and he needs to make a genuine and willful decision to totally trust in Jesus as the ALL-sufficient means of their salvation in order to be saved. In doing this he is calling on the name of the Lord to save him. Now if subsequent to such a decision, the person would like to pray what some call a "sinner’s prayer," (calling on the name of the Lord to save him in prayer) he may do so, as long as he understands that it was his decision to trust in Christ for salvation that apprehends his salvation and not simply reciting a prayer in of itself, as if it's a magical formula to recite a set of words, but prayer may be used to call upon the name of the Lord in faith to become saved.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Well this was about sinners prayer not how to pray. Just.. I don't know.

So.. to ask a sinner to repent.. to believe Jesus came in the flesh died on the cross for the worlds sin. Was buried rose the 3rd day and is the only way to the Father. "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

What are getting stuck on? Jesus come in to my life be my lord and savior? <---this is bad? Not written? I seem to remember and from Him of something I never read before.. It crossed my mind once when watching a Christian band play at this pup "behold I stand at the door and knock"..I wondered about it and "Rev 3:20" came right back.

The point is.. what is that DOOR He is knocking on that He wants to come in to? HAHA praise GOD glory to JESUS! No matter how someone comes to Him.. which HE draws to himself. He never cast them out. Be it using fear that GOD will send you to (forgive me Father) HELL! God never ever uses fear. Yet.. that person that was so scared and repented. Not the way God would ever do it. Yet.. He will in no wise case out.

L

Locoponydirtman

The sinner's prayer is a fallacy.
It's a way for decision theology evangelists to coax somebody into saying specific words so that they can put another check mark in their book.

Jesus said believe in your heart and confess with your mouth.
he who believes and is baptized is saved and he who does not believe is condemned already.

Nowhere in scripture do you find any type of formulaic sinner's prayer. Nor do you find anyone asking Jesus to enter into their heart. If you believed in the Holy Spirit has done his work and he is in your heart and has regenerated you, if this is the case go get baptized.

Feb 29, 2020
I do not recall anywhere in scripture where people were asked to pray a prayer.

In the scriptures, the gospel is preached (That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles - Acts 26:22-23).

People get added to the church by believing (receiving) the gospel.

Acts 2:41.
Acts 4:4.
Acts 8:12-13.
Acts 8:37.
Acts 10:45.
Acts 11:11.
Acts 11:17.
Acts 13:12.
Acts 13:48.
Acts 14:23.
Acts 15:7.
Acts 15:11.
Acts 15:19 (turned to God).
Acts 16:1.
Acts 16:31.
Acts 17:4.
Acts 17:12.
Acts 17:34.
Acts 18:8.
Acts 19:2.
Acts 19:18.
Acts 28:24.

No one is asked to bow their heads while music plays and to say "I know I am a sinner" type prayer anywhere in the new testament. This moves people to make an emotional decision not so much based on belief, but on feelings.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Salvation is by Believing Jesus and trusting that the Atonement He secured by His sacrafical death on the cross pays the penalty for all ones trangressions against the Will of God...

14meatcc

Feb 17, 2020
San Diego
That is a lie. It does exist, but perhaps not as you imagine. You might want to study the Bible more carefully before proceeding any further.
Please tell me where I can find this prayer so I may pray it!