Has Anyone Ever Been Given a "Personal Prophecy" Predicting a Future Spouse and Family?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Well..hopefully youll have the oppertunity to find out..like a lot of things that God has created or given power for..man has twisted and manipulated into something bad and thats what turns a lot off to the miracles and Wonders that God has all around us and we are numbed by society and cant see...
Concurrence. That has been demonstrated in this thread. There is so much fakery in the world that some people wouldn't believe a real miracle or prophecy if it happened.

And the worst part is I can see why they wouldn't believe it. After you've seen enough fake stuff you start looking for the fakery in the real thing, and usually a person who looks for evidence of fakery will find it whether it's there to find or not.

SHORT VERSION: Sometimes this life really sucks rotten eggs.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
Concurrence. That has been demonstrated in this thread. There is so much fakery in the world that some people wouldn't believe a real miracle or prophecy if it happened.

And the worst part is I can see why they wouldn't believe it. After you've seen enough fake stuff you start looking for the fakery in the real thing, and usually a person who looks for evidence of fakery will find it whether it's there to find or not.

SHORT VERSION: Sometimes this life really sucks rotten eggs.
Its true. But its sad..hearts get hardened..we look for the worst in people and situations..but i guess WE can CHOOSE and ask for Gods help to see things differently in life...WE wouldnt want someone looking at US expecting the bad or suspicious untrusting etc

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Its true. But its sad..hearts get hardened..we look for the worst in people and situations..but i guess WE can CHOOSE and ask for Gods help to see things differently in life...WE wouldnt want someone looking at US expecting the bad or suspicious untrusting etc
I've seen alot, I mean alot of tricks that remind me of the movie "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin. I seen tricks so cheezy I'd be embarassed if a friend fell for one of them yet they continue to work. "I have a word from the lord that has placed on one of your hearts to write a check for $500. Now come on yo know he want's you to! Don't hold out on god, remember ."Sephira." "listen to your heart and give to god so he can give to you..." It's not a debt you owe think of it as a seed you sow!" "God will repay you tenfold for your generosity. Before they run out of hot air people caught up in the drama start bringing checks while others throw up their hands and shout praise the Lord! These wolfs wear Armini suits and drive limos.

When Jimmy carter was inagurated he wore a $200 dollar suit!

DKristine

Jul 22, 2018
I agree with all of these. While I can testify on some miracles in my life, I have come to rely on my daily devotionals to give me fresh perspectives on life everyday.

I work in a field that will turn the most idealistic people into hardened cynics. I have found myself praying for compassion and strength at times because I am exposed to the life of constant manipulations, intrigues and working with people mostly driven by self-interest. I do what I do because I have been called to be in this line of work eventhough I have come close to quitting several times. Yet I am still here.

I still think trust is something, you earn and not easily given. What you must always give though is the opportunity for that someone to earn it.

However, I can still attest to the fact, that miracles do happen. But life in general as Lynx has aptly written--suck rotten eggs. With this, I think I am allowed to have some reservations regarding people (pastor or not) and what they say about what my life will be. I would rather discover what God's plans are for me as they unravel on their own. Rather than getting fixated on a promise of something that might have been fake after all.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
I've seen alot, I mean alot of tricks that remind me of the movie "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin. I seen tricks so cheezy I'd be embarassed if a friend fell for one of them yet they continue to work. "I have a word from the lord that has placed on one of your hearts to write a check for $500. Now come on yo know he want's you to! Don't hold out on god, remember ."Sephira." "listen to your heart and give to god so he can give to you..." It's not a debt you owe think of it as a seed you sow!" "God will repay you tenfold for your generosity. Before they run out of hot air people caught up in the drama start bringing checks while others throw up their hands and shout praise the Lord! These wolfs wear Armini suits and drive limos.

When Jimmy carter was inagurated he wore a $200 dollar suit!

The pastor on sunday was addressing that he remembered when computers furst came out..the dial up to get AOL online..the sound it made and his FIRST message was from a nigerian scammer saying the same thing you did..well..he was a nigerian prince awaiting his inheritance soon but would need $500 to tied him over until he got it..but when he did..he would pay him back $5000...lol

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
The pastor on sunday was addressing that he remembered when computers furst came out..the dial up to get AOL online..the sound it made and his FIRST message was from a nigerian scammer saying the same thing you did..well..he was a nigerian prince awaiting his inheritance soon but would need $500 to tied him over until he got it..but when he did..he would pay him back $5000...lol
The same sort of thing happened to me but the perp took my identity ad said I was stuck at Heathrow airport. An aquaintense asked me "so how was London?":LOL:

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
If someone gave a prophecy, real or fake, wouldn't it then be possible for a person to not like it, and do whatever to avoid, or desire it very much to be true, and take actions to fulfill it?

I'm very skeptical of people claiming to have prophecy.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
Yeah ive seen some doozies claiming to have prophetic words..everyone rushed up to the alter..the pastor was in fron of the people..with 2 people behind them "catching them" when they fell over backwards for the "spirit" being upon them..needless to say..i was the only one still sitting in my seat and the more i sat cause it freaked me out..the more frustrated and louder the pastor was determined to get me up there..oh..did i say..everything was videotaped ;(

Jul 27, 2018
Hey Everyone,

One of the things I've been trying to work through in my own spiritual life is the confusion that resulted from listening to the words of well-meaning church members. I spent all of my childhood in a conservative Lutheran church, then the next several years at an Assemblies of God church in which it was common for people to give "a word of knowledge" (presumably from the Holy Spirit) to people as a means of encouragement and guidance for their lives.

While I have no doubt that the people who prayed for me sincerely loved God and meant only the best with all their hearts, many, many years later, I am trying to sort through the aftermath of the emotional turmoil that their "prophecies" have caused in my life.

When I was 25, I went through a very unwanted divorce in which I kept hoping my husband would change his mind, but he never did, and so I relied heavily on my church family to help guide me through.

One woman told me confidently, "I honestly believe the Lord is saying that you are going to be married again in the next 2-3 years."

And so, in came the trickle of "messages", supposedly from the Lord, from people who told me things such as, "He (your future husband) is going to love you so much that it's going to make up for all the rejection you've felt in your life" to a prediction that I would have 4 kids, including a supposed confirmation of what I was to name the oldest.

This is why some people live the way that was described in the thread about putting your life on hold in order to prepare for "the one."

For example, the friend I wrote about in that thread had also been told certain characteristics about her supposed future husband ("He's going to be tall, with dark, straight hair") and so my poor friend even went so far as to reject any guy who asked her out and did not fit that description. Her heart was sincere--she simply did not want to disobey God by choosing someone else--but you can imagine the poor girl's train of thought: "Well, this guy seems really nice, but I have to say no... After all, he has curly hair, and The One God has for me is going to have straight hair..."

This is why some of us have lived in fear of making too many decisions about our lives on our own. Someone in the last thread made an excellent point that living this way is fear, not faith--but it was a total Catch 22 for those of us who believed in the words of some of the elders at our churches. If God had someone on the way for us, a life of carefree choices that didn't consider the other person (even in their absence) would be directly disobedient to what we presumed was God's will for our lives.

The other thing that made me believe (or want to even more strongly) is that the people telling me these things all told me independently of knowing what anyone else said to me and were often pastors, so it convinced me that this surely must be from the Lord! Because wouldn't pastors, of all people, be capable of hearing accurately from God?

Fast forward 20 years later... With no future prospects in site, and being well past the ideal child-bearing age (important footnote: I no longer have the desire to birth children at all), I have to look back and wonder--was the devil working overtime to whisper pretty lies into the ears of people I loved and trusted (including a family member), or were their own hearts just that eager to encourage me that they were able to convince themselves of made-up "prophecies"?

One of the things that was told to me was, "God has someone waiting for you, but not here." And so, when the opportunity came up to move out of the area, I felt the need to say yes, because surely I was on the way to meet The One God had for me!!! And once again, it's been several years... and all I hear now are crickets (literally--there's one somewhere behind my couch right now, happily chirping away.)

Now, I understand that some people will say, "But what about Sarah and Abraham? Nothing is impossible for God!" A couple of key things that I think must be considered about Sarah and Abraham is that: 1. They were extremely wealthy--no worries for them about how they would pay for Issac's daycare or education! 2. People lived a lot longer back then, and I will be 45 of my next birthday (my avatar picture was taken about 6 months ago), which puts me at a stage in life where I do not want to think about beginning to change diapers.

Even if I did meet someone today, I'd assume we'd date for maybe 2 years, get married and then hopefully have a few years to ourselves or with the family he already has, and that would put me at right around 50 years old and having my first baby.

Anyone else interested in starting a family at 50? Let's see a show of hands... Maybe a few... but for me, no thank you--unless God intervenes, I am looking to serve in other ways.

However, that doesn't erase the negative feelings I still have surrounding this whole experience. And I will never again believe any kind of supposed "prophecy" about my future marital status.

How about the rest of you?

Have any of the rest of you experienced this, and how have you coped with it? I would really like to hear your stories, thoughts, and experiences, whether from your own life or observations you've made of those around you.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I really want to thank everyone for participating in this thread.

Like I said several posts back, I really thought that maybe I'd get 5 replies at the most, and that they would mostly scold me for being naive enough to have believed in such things.

It really makes me wonder how much, if any of these kinds of methods, hold any validity at all. I'm so sorry for the suffering others have gone through because of this type of ministry, and that's exactly why I chose to speak against it at certain times of my life.

I guess one of the reasons I was excited about the church in which this happened is that, as I explained to someone, "In my childhood church, God was a SomeTHING. In the Assemblies of God church, He became a SomeOne (to me.)"

I was so overjoyed at the thought of a personal God who spoke to me, knew my life closely, and would actually give me specific answers to my situation instead of just 30 generic Bible passages and the catch-all answer that God is Sovereign.

And now, in many ways, I'm back to where I started--strongly believing in God, but wondering just how "personal" my "personal relationship" is supposed to be with Him.

Jul 27, 2018
I have been in ministries where they walked in the office of a prophet. And also been told different things in years past. But if you get a word from someone it should be confirmed by the Holy Spirit. And that still does mean that its gonna happen overnight, or when you think it should. But it doesnt mean you have to make it happen either. Sometimes people are not completely accurate with the word of knowledge or prophecy. If it is truly from God it will come to pass. Please make a choice to forgive those that have let you down. They are people. Not God.

Ask Him to heal your heart. You must believe God wants you to be happy, healed and whole. Get into the word and let it reach down into
your soul. He is able to restore what you have lost and give you a new beginning, in Jesus name. God bless you. I will keep you in my
prayers.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
I really want to thank everyone for participating in this thread.

Like I said several posts back, I really thought that maybe I'd get 5 replies at the most, and that they would mostly scold me for being naive enough to have believed in such things.

It really makes me wonder how much, if any of these kinds of methods, hold any validity at all. I'm so sorry for the suffering others have gone through because of this type of ministry, and that's exactly why I chose to speak against it at certain times of my life.

I guess one of the reasons I was excited about the church in which this happened is that, as I explained to someone, "In my childhood church, God was a SomeTHING. In the Assemblies of God church, He became a SomeOne (to me.)"

I was so overjoyed at the thought of a personal God who spoke to me, knew my life closely, and would actually give me specific answers to my situation instead of just 30 generic Bible passages and the catch-all answer that God is Sovereign.

And now, in many ways, I'm back to where I started--strongly believing in God, but wondering just how "personal" my "personal relationship" is supposed to be with Him.
I think EVERYONE has had times like youre experiencing whether they want to admit it or not..especially if youre a long time christian..we lose our "fire and passion"..like a "slow burn"..lol..best thing is..Hes right there..has been all along..pray for that God would reveal Himself in might ways to you..and then be watching..He said.."whoever seeks shall find"...i once heard (and this might be your case) that complacency is a coffin with the ends kicked out..i guess thats food for thought. And..i dont think there is a rating scale as to "how personal" your relationship with God should be..sometimes you might be dancing with the Lord..sometimes quietly walking together..not saying a thing..YOU are your own best radar..if you feel God is far away..pray that Hell ignite that fire again and youll burn brightly..if theres a purpose for this season in your life..He'll be there with you through it. You have a lot of friends and support here ;)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I am in a curious (and somewhat uncomfortable) position in this thread. I have multiple times seen a real word from God, that the deliverer could not know anything about beforehand and it made a difference in the recipient's life. So I can see where some people are adamantly opposed to the idea that God does not give people messages any more.

I have also personally seen people who have made a profession out of being a prophet, to the point of making it a big show, and their "prophecies" are kind of like the things you read in fortune cookies. I have also seen people tell other people things, allegedly from God, that were obviously just to make the recipients feel better. So I can see where people would decide that "prophecy" is all flim-flam. I can see where people might get quite bitter about the whole matter.

My problem is I can't figure out how to get either side to see the other side. :confused:

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
I am in a curious (and somewhat uncomfortable) position in this thread. I have multiple times seen a real word from God, that the deliverer could not know anything about beforehand and it made a difference in the recipient's life. So I can see where some people are adamantly opposed to the idea that God does not give people messages any more.

I have also personally seen people who have made a profession out of being a prophet, to the point of making it a big show, and their "prophecies" are kind of like the things you read in fortune cookies. I have also seen people tell other people things, allegedly from God, that were obviously just to make the recipients feel better. So I can see where people would decide that "prophecy" is all flim-flam. I can see where people might get quite bitter about the whole matter.

My problem is I can't figure out how to get either side to see the other side. :confused:
There is flam..glam and no thank you mam..comes down to the ones prophecyings heart and motives..religion sells too..

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016

I'm not saying prophecy isn't real, I just ain't buying it.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018

Lol..silly cat..are you being michievious? Lol

Jul 27, 2018
I have seen people that are very accurate in that gift. Some others not so much. But you know its from God
when you see or hear or experience it coming to pass.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
First allow me to say that I am not a cessationist thus I do believe that the gifts of the Spirit are still for the modern church but I also believe that much of what gets passed off as the prophetic is nothing more than the overactive imaginations of the persons passing it off as prophecy. Unfortunately many of these persons have derailed the faith of more impressionable believers.

That being said, there's an easy way to get to prophetic wannabe's to shut their mouths....................

Reinstate the OT penalty for false prophets. :eek:

Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NIV

20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.”

21 You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed.