In 1 Corinthians 12, it is referred to as part of the body of Christ, and it also states that not all will speak with tongues.It's still all about you isn't it? If tongues are a gift of the Holy Spirit and it is the Holy Spirit that gives them severally as He willeth then there is no possible way to resist the gifts.
You do not want to understand the scripture where it says we look through the glass darkly but then we will see face to face. This is talking of how the OT which they and was shadowy and the NT which was not yet fully given would make it so we could see as God wants us to see the mysteries of the faith and purpose of Gods will.
1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
For the cause of Christ
Roger
vs. 27-31
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.28And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
31
But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.
In my opinion, this part of the scripture explains that not everyone is given the same gifts. I don't know what part of the body of Christ it may be, but let's just say it is the foot of the body. If you are the hand in the body, and it is the foot would you wish to cut it off just because you are not the foot. I would hope not because we need the body to be whole in order for it to accomplish what is needed.