Have you made any close friends on here?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
More specifically, you started talking with another member on here through PM's and now you talk a lot outside of CC through e-mail or Facebook or text? That kind of close friendship?

I don't expect you to say who exactly you became friends with. Just if you have and how many people you've become friends with.

And do you still talk to these people a lot? Have you ever met them in real life?

I haven't made any friends on here nor am I wanting to. That's not really why I'm here. But I was just curious about those here that have. :)

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
More specifically, you started talking with another member on here through PM's and now you talk a lot outside of CC through e-mail or Facebook or text?
And maybe you exchanged phone numbers and talk on the phone with each other? I forgot about that one....and maybe it's easy to understand why. Seems like most people these days would rather conversate through messaging than actually talking on the phone with someone.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I have messaged with some nice people here. They are encouraging and supportive. I appreciate their kindness. I am on Facebook with one person whose posts are about kindness and humour. I appreciate them.
There is something unique about connecting with people whom you will never meet in this world, at least most of us. We are joined by our faith. We all share a father whose home we will all share. That is wild! There is a freedom in being anonymous.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Been a few I've met on here and talked off CC. In retrospect quite a few. Some were only around a short while. A few longer.
Probably my closest friend I met on here. We've been talking for years. As well as my current gf.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
"We are joined by our faith. We all share a father whose home we will all share. That is wild! There is a freedom in being anonymous."
There are no accidents in this world, He knows the end from the beginning, He knew this thread would be started, who and how they started it, and that we each have contributed what, when and how we contributed it.
Many are called here in His name to share His love, wisdom, direction, etc. as He continues to conform each of us to His image.
Laughinghearts smile warms my heart first thing in the morning, Ruby123 reminds me and keeps me praying for Australia and it's terrible attack from the adversary who ONLY comes to steal, kill and destroy, CharliRenee's avatar reminds me of how precious it is to pour love into the little ones, GodsGirl posts wonderful things that keep the heart soft and ready to hear Him, each of you can and do support His ever continuing work.
So very important we take the mind off "me" and focus out to His world for Him.
blessings, in Jesus name.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Seems like most people these days would rather conversate through messaging than actually talking on the phone with someone.
Guilty as charged!!!

I am notorious for (not) talking on the phone, simply because a live conversation means I have to think of answers and topics right then and there. I prefer text and writing because it gives me time to organize and develop what I want to say. If a person wants to hear my voice, I prefer voice texts for the same reason. If I do have a phone conversation or live chat, it's not uncommon for me to then write a 6-page letter to the person trying to explain what I actually wished I'd said!

I grew up writing paper letters to pen pals and then meeting them on the phone or in person (with no way of Googling their background information or status - talk about a leap of faith!), so to me, the internet felt like a natural progression for making friendships. As I was growing up, two of my written-letters-only pen pals came to visit, and one was even from Japan. How on earth we managed to coordinate a visit just through paper letters that took 2 weeks to get to each other is a feat I'll always marvel at. But in time, even those friendships faded away.

I've been here on CC since 2009, and I say that just to demonstrate that it can take a long time to make a connection (in contrast to someone who might be here only a few months and wondering why they haven't connected with anyone.) It has taken me literally thousands of hours of messages over several years (so it certainly doesn't come without a lot of work, either.) My general "method" is to observe (aka, mildly stalk, lol) a person through chat or the forums for several months, then, if I feel comfortable, strike up a PM conversation with them and see where it goes.

Over the years I've met somewhere around 15 people from CC in real life, but usually it was after knowing them for a while. It's been mentioned elsewhere in the forum so I'm comfortable with mentioning it here as well -- I was recently able to meet @cinder and @Lynx (on separate trips), whom I've been talking to almost from the time they got here in 2014, along with other CC friends who aren't here anymore, but whom I have known for probably 8 years (I'm giving the time spans just to demonstrate that none of this happens overnight.) I usually have to travel a couple times of year to see family, so in general, I try to tack on a visit/invasion to any CC friends in the approximate area. :)

I have several more on my hit, er, visitation list, hopefully in the years to come.

Please don't be discouraged if making friends takes a while, or if you have a lot of false starts. Many of the friendships I made here faded away due to the hustle and bustle of life, even when we did meet in person. For every friend I have made here, there were at least a dozen (maybe two dozen) others I may have talked with that just weren't meant to be, for a myriad of reasons. Sometimes people tell me, "You sure do seem to know a lot of people here," but it's only because of I've put in so much working trying to convince people I'm harmless enough to talk to. :) I basically gave up watching TV for trying to make friends on this site.

I also went through a long stretch (about 5 years) in which, for some reason, God seemed to keep me from making ANY friends in real life. Try as I might, I couldn't make a friend at work or church (my usual stomping grounds) no matter how hard I tried. I asked one seemingly nice older lady at church if she'd like to grab lunch sometime, and she looked at me as if I'd planted a bomb in her car. Many of my co-workers were rumored to be on drugs, and it's often felt like God has been keeping me away from EVERYONE. During this very isolaated time, my online friendships were what really kept me going (and still do), as pathetic as some might think that is.

God has been bringing about tons of changes in my life, which is probably why He's keeping me from establishing any real-life roots. The best thing about online friends is that their friendships move along WITH you, no matter where God may lead. :)

I will be forever grateful to CC for the friends I've made here who have helped keep my faith - and my life - going. :) And for those who are trying or want to make friends here, keep on trying! Please don't give up if the first few, or even a few hundred, don't work out. :) There are always new and interesting people here to meet. :)

As for future plans, @Pipp has been at the top of my wish list for years, but so far, it just hasn't come together. :( She likes to joke that this is probably because the two of us being together would cause enough ruckus to land us in jail :), so if anyone wants to donate to our Saving-in-Advance, Please-Bail-Us-Out fund, be sure to send inquiries to #FreePippyAndHerSeoul as soon as possible. :cool:

Oct 31, 2019
I found some nice and interesting people here but haven't made any close friends yet. I joined CC in hopes of making Christian friends or finding fellowship, so I hope I can!

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Soulsearch- the check is in the mail.

I have heard our friends here will be our friends in eternity, thus He has us meeting, learning,growing with so many here so we will have them for eternity with Him.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Something to keep in mind... the more friends you have, the more effort it takes to maintain those friendships.

Proverbs 18:24
A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

I know, I know, we preachers always use the first part of that verse to say "you don't have any friends because you're not friendly." But it cuts both ways - if you have a lot of friends you have to put out a lot of effort to be friendly.

Oct 31, 2019
Guilty as charged!!!

I am notorious for (not) talking on the phone, simply because a live conversation means I have to think of answers and topics right then and there. I prefer text and writing because it gives me time to organize and develop what I want to say. If a person wants to hear my voice, I prefer voice texts for the same reason. If I do have a phone conversation or live chat, it's not uncommon for me to then write a 6-page letter to the person trying to explain what I actually wished I'd said!

I grew up writing paper letters to pen pals and then meeting them on the phone or in person (with no way of Googling their background information or status - talk about a leap of faith!), so to me, the internet felt like a natural progression for making friendships. As I was growing up, two of my written-letters-only pen pals came to visit, and one was even from Japan. How on earth we managed to coordinate a visit just through paper letters that took 2 weeks to get to each other is a feat I'll always marvel at. But in time, even those friendships faded away.

I've been here on CC since 2009, and I say that just to demonstrate that it can take a long time to make a connection (in contrast to someone who might be here only a few months and wondering why they haven't connected with anyone.) It has taken me literally thousands of hours of messages over several years (so it certainly doesn't come without a lot of work, either.) My general "method" is to observe (aka, mildly stalk, lol) a person through chat or the forums for several months, then, if I feel comfortable, strike up a PM conversation with them and see where it goes.

Over the years I've met somewhere around 15 people from CC in real life, but usually it was after knowing them for a while. It's been mentioned elsewhere in the forum so I'm comfortable with mentioning it here as well -- I was recently able to meet @cinder and @Lynx (on separate trips), whom I've been talking to almost from the time they got here in 2014, along with other CC friends who aren't here anymore, but whom I have known for probably 8 years (I'm giving the time spans just to demonstrate that none of this happens overnight.) I usually have to travel a couple times of year to see family, so in general, I try to tack on a visit/invasion to any CC friends in the approximate area. :)

I have several more on my hit, er, visitation list, hopefully in the years to come.

Please don't be discouraged if making friends takes a while, or if you have a lot of false starts. Many of the friendships I made here faded away due to the hustle and bustle of life, even when we did meet in person. For every friend I have made here, there were at least a dozen (maybe two dozen) others I may have talked with that just weren't meant to be, for a myriad of reasons. Sometimes people tell me, "You sure do seem to know a lot of people here," but it's only because of I've put in so much working trying to convince people I'm harmless enough to talk to. :) I basically gave up watching TV for trying to make friends on this site.

I also went through a long stretch (about 5 years) in which, for some reason, God seemed to keep me from making ANY friends in real life. Try as I might, I couldn't make a friend at work or church (my usual stomping grounds) no matter how hard I tried. I asked one seemingly nice older lady at church if she'd like to grab lunch sometime, and she looked at me as if I'd planted a bomb in her car. Many of my co-workers were rumored to be on drugs, and it's often felt like God has been keeping me away from EVERYONE. During this very isolaated time, my online friendships were what really kept me going (and still do), as pathetic as some might think that is.

God has been bringing about tons of changes in my life, which is probably why He's keeping me from establishing any real-life roots. The best thing about online friends is that their friendships move along WITH you, no matter where God may lead. :)

I will be forever grateful to CC for the friends I've made here who have helped keep my faith - and my life - going. :) And for those who are trying or want to make friends here, keep on trying! Please don't give up if the first few, or even a few hundred, don't work out. :) There are always new and interesting people here to meet. :)

As for future plans, @Pipp has been at the top of my wish list for years, but so far, it just hasn't come together. :( She likes to joke that this is probably because the two of us being together would cause enough ruckus to land us in jail :), so if anyone wants to donate to our Saving-in-Advance, Please-Bail-Us-Out fund, be sure to send inquiries to #FreePippyAndHerSeoul as soon as possible. :cool:
I, too, prefer text for the same reason and talking on the phone is uncomfortable for me...

It is easy to fade away if we only connect through the internet which is very sad but pros of the internet is we can make friends with people from around the world and meet many different types of people we may not be able to meet in real life. It's amazing! I love to get to know people from around the world:)

In Japan, it's hard to find Christian friends or fellowship in real life. So, Internet helps me a lot finding Christian fellows!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
not on CC as I have only been here for over a year.
On other forums occasionally I have PMed and then emailed and some I have chatted to. I dont ring people as its expensive. Some I have exchanged Christmas cards.

Because I am in nz, I dont actually get to meet a lot of people as most people are from other countries and its far away. But one (not from CC) may come to visit my country this year so I may get to see them :)

Its hard to be a close friend if you are physically far away but Jesus crosses the gap. I would consider the spiritual nature of many of our conversations mean that you do become close to people even if you dont see them everyday.

I have a number of friends already its not like I am a hermit who has no friends to interact with. But I think because I like to write my thoughts down and express myself that Im able to reach out to people that way and I like internet for that, hence why I am on CC.

Aside from that probably in eternity I will get to meet with everyone who i ever talked or prayed with on christians forums over the years. I can think of several who touched my life in a profound way especially the girl who shared with me the gospel online in the first place. She took the time to pray for me.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Guilty as charged!!!

Come meet me Seoul!

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
"We are joined by our faith. We all share a father whose home we will all share. That is wild! There is a freedom in being anonymous."
There are no accidents in this world, He knows the end from the beginning, He knew this thread would be started, who and how they started it, and that we each have contributed what, when and how we contributed it.
Many are called here in His name to share His love, wisdom, direction, etc. as He continues to conform each of us to His image.
Laughinghearts smile warms my heart first thing in the morning, Ruby123 reminds me and keeps me praying for Australia and it's terrible attack from the adversary who ONLY comes to steal, kill and destroy, CharliRenee's avatar reminds me of how precious it is to pour love into the little ones, GodsGirl posts wonderful things that keep the heart soft and ready to hear Him, each of you can and do support His ever continuing work.
So very important we take the mind off "me" and focus out to His world for Him.
blessings, in Jesus name.
And blessings to you. You are an encouragement and a blessing.

Jul 20, 2019
More specifically, you started talking with another member on here through PM's and now you talk a lot outside of CC through e-mail or Facebook or text? That kind of close friendship?

I don't expect you to say who exactly you became friends with. Just if you have and how many people you've become friends with.

And do you still talk to these people a lot? Have you ever met them in real life?

I haven't made any friends on here nor am I wanting to. That's not really why I'm here. But I was just curious about those here that have. :)
No

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

I met my wife JesusLives on this site shortly after I joined and we were married later the same year of 2014. My wife and I have had lunch quite a few times with another member and his wife who live nearby. My wife emails a few members and past members and also stays in touch with Facebook. We plan on meeting a couple other members sometime in the near future in their home state.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
And maybe you exchanged phone numbers and talk on the phone with each other? I forgot about that one....and maybe it's easy to understand why. Seems like most people these days would rather conversate through messaging than actually talking on the phone with someone.
Before we actually met we regularly exchange snail mail and talked on the phone for a couple hours each night.

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
I virtually know the ones who referred me to this site, and I text with them occasionally outside of here, but I don't know them in RL.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
I have made some great friends on here. Some are on my facebook, and some I text with and talk to on my phone.