How do you know your denomination is right?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Well, one member here told me about two years ago that he had learned all he needed to know by the time he was 18, and that he had not changed his mind about anything since then. He is in his 40s now. (Yes, kind of frightening.)

That's pretty amazing.

I was 19 before I even figured out how stupid I was.

: )

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
Ask the pastor if he commits sin.
If he says "yes", you know he is not of God.
If he says "no", ask him to explain 1 John 1:8.
A pastor who doesn't sin will have been given the answer to that question by God.

The church is Christ's body, and there is no sin in Christ.
Your first answer to the pastor saying yes cannot be correct or Paul was not of God. He admitted in Roman's seven that he sinned after salvation.

Feb 7, 2015
Willie,

That remark was uncalled for since there are plenty of Christians here, and all over the world for whom the King James Bible is in fact the Word of God in English. And it has been so for at least the 300 years from 1611 to 1911. So the OP is perfectly correct in making the KJB the standard.

As to the OP, denominations have no scriptural basis. So the better question would be what are your Bible-based beliefs? In the end if there is no support for a belief from Scripture, then it must be discarded. At the very least the Five Solas should be the primary beliefs of all Christians (other than Catholics).
Do you use the 1611?

Jun 1, 2016
Acts 9:2
[SUP]2 [/SUP]and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.

Be mindful not to be contradicting, the belief the KJB is the only standard is not found in the Bible anywhere either.

anyone who takes a view on the Kjv, lol probably should first study the hebrew and greek to see where the accuracy is in english, Kjv is by far the closest to a word for word translation as one can get, its not possible to really make the judgement "which version" is best until one learns what the hebrew and greek actually says is the thing. sure one might say " well the language is old so i cant really understand it" thats understandable, that doesnt make the translation innacurate, or wrong because one person may not be able to grasp the words meanings.

the translation is most accurate with the Kjv authorized its not even close really with the other translations. if a person studies thoroughly the hebrew and greek texts, they will have no doubt which is the most accurate english version. it is the Kjv authorized undertaken By King James. One of the most elaborate and huge undertakings in reletive modern History was the translation of the texts to english.

the work was began in 1604 and was finished in 1611. there were five groups ( not counting the apocrypha) of linguistics and translation experts from caimbridge, oxford and westminster. over 50 experts pouring over the texts for 7 years. in a time when people actually cared about accuracy of scripture. the translations you see these days are done for profit, they have to come up with a newly marketed version that promises more accuracy or better language. the difference is the Kjv is accurate to what the text actually says, and there was no motive of profit. the motive was accuracy King james wanted the most accurate translation possible, and .....He got it.

i would encourage folks who insist on dispairaging the kjv, to study some of the Hebrew and greek it was translated from, i believe anyone who will do that for themselves, will come to the conclusion, that the Kjv has it as right as possible when translating from one ancient language, and another nearly ancient language to a modern language like english. the prooof for those who really care about what version is most accurate, is in the quest of determining for yourself. i did and it left no doubt, and i found that while all translations are helpful and good for study, when there is an issue the Kjv always holds the truth according to the original texts.......which is really the only proof we have of Gods written Word.

Redeemed2015

Jul 2, 2014
Willie,

That remark was uncalled for since there are plenty of Christians here, and all over the world for whom the King James Bible is in fact the Word of God in English. And it has been so for at least the 300 years from 1611 to 1911. So the OP is perfectly correct in making the KJB the standard.

Well, what many refer to as the 1611 KJV is not at all the 1611 KJV but is the 1769 Blayney Revised Version of the "Authorized Version" from 1611. Why is the KJV the standard? There is no scholarly basis for this. There were 3 Bibles in English before the KJV. Why aren't they the standard? Most Puritans during the Protestant Reformation much rather preferred the usage of the Geneva Bible over the "KJV". Not to mention the Wycliff Bible which before King James issued his "Authorized Version" was considered the standard.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
I prefer the KJV but it is ignorant to enforce it as a must.. GOD is above all and the only thing I would say is not answer His Truth with another man’s understanding and perception but to ask for understanding and to be taught by the Holy Spirit read and listen.. to this day I’m taught by the Holy Spirit and marvel... you may need to wait and pray and do not expect the answers of the universe.. GOD is able to share His Truth and teach you if you ask..

GOD’s Word sanctifies.. the Truth is revealed...

I was lead to read from Genesis to Revelation it took a few months of devotion.. Yet you are always a student and learning is ongoing... it is a Holy Book with depths and there is no explanation for its power other than the Almighty GOD.. and yet the heart will find what it desires.. for some will find lucifer helping them escape ... some will find power to exalt themselves and some find the Truth that sets them free.. forgiveness and Reconciliation with the Creator through His Son..

You would have to be short sighted to think GOD’s Word could be used to defeat Him in battle... for the Battle is won before you take your first breath.. it is an opportunity to make peace by Repenting and Believing.. Glory to GOD forever.

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
As it says in the title, I am asking how do you know that your specific beliefs are leading you on a path to third-heaven? I don't ask this to start argument or debate but I'm very curious as to what makes you sure that your chosen church/denomination is the correct one to follow. Naturally I'd like to comment on every response to evoke more thought! I am 16 and very well-read. If/when quoting or citing scriptures please use the KJV (1611) version of the bible to keep everything mainstream and no mix up's in translations when I respond :D God Bless
Anyone who believes Jesus is the Lord, and Loves One Another is Right with God.

^i^

††† In His Holy and Precious Name, Jesus Christ †††

DiscipleDave

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
As it says in the title, I am asking how do you know that your specific beliefs are leading you on a path to third-heaven? I don't ask this to start argument or debate but I'm very curious as to what makes you sure that your chosen church/denomination is the correct one to follow. Naturally I'd like to comment on every response to evoke more thought! I am 16 and very well-read. If/when quoting or citing scriptures please use the KJV (1611) version of the bible to keep everything mainstream and no mix up's in translations when I respond :D God Bless
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]John/Yahanan 10:16, "And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to My voice. So there will be one flock, one Shepherd (4166 - poimén)."[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Philippians 3:20, “But our citizenship is in heaven, out from which we also eagerly wait for our Ruler, Yahshua Messiah the King.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Revelation 11:15, “And the seventh messenger sounded, and there came to be loud voices in the heaven, saying, “The reign of this world has become the reign of our Master, and of His Messiah, and He shall reign forever and ever!”[/FONT]

Feb 7, 2015
A little bit from the KJ3:

Genesis 1
1 Creation of Heaven and Earth, 3 of light, 6 of
the Heavens, 9 land separated from the waters,
11 made fruitful, 14 the sun, the moon, and the
stars, 20 of fish and fowl, 24 of beasts and cattle,
26 of man in image of God, 29 and the appointment
of food.

1 ¶ In the beginning God created the heavens
and the earth;
2 and the earth being without form and
empty, and darkness being on the face of
the deep, and the Spirit of God hovering
on the face of the waters,
3 ¶ and God said, Let light be! And there
was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good,
and God separated between the light and
between the darkness.
5 And God called the light, Day. And He
called the darkness, Night. And it was
evening, and it was morning, day one.
6 ¶ And God said, Let an expanse be in
the midst of the waters, and let it be dividing
between the waters and waters.
7 And God made the expanse, and He
separated between the waters which were
under the expanse and the waters which
were above the expanse. And it was so.
8 And God called the expanse, Heavens.
And it was evening, and it was morning, a
second day.
9 ¶ And God said, Let the waters under
the heavens be collected to one place, and
let the dry land be seen. And it was so.
10 And God called the dry land, Earth.
And He called the collection of the waters,
Seas. And God saw that it was good.
11 And God said, Let the earth cause to
sprout grass, the plant seeding seed, the
fruit tree producing fruit according to its
kind, which seed is in it on the earth. And
it was so.
12 And the earth bore grass, the green
plant seeding seed according to its kind,
and the fruit tree producing fruit according
to its kind, which seed is in it. And
God saw that it was good.
13 And it was evening, and it was morning,
a third day.
14 ¶ And God said, Let luminaries be in
the expanse of the heavens, to divide between
the day and between the night. And
let them be for signs and for seasons, and
for days and years.
15 And let them be for luminaries in the
expanse of the heavens, to give light on
the earth. And it was so.
16 And God made the two great luminaries:
the great luminary to rule the day, and
the small luminary and the stars to rule the
night.
17 And God set them in the expanse of
the heavens, to give light on the earth,
18 and to rule over the day and over the
night; and to divide between the light and
between the darkness. And God saw that it
was good.
19 And it was evening, and it was morning,
a fourth day.
20 ¶ And God said, Let the waters swarm
with swarmers having a soul of life; and
let the birds fly over the earth and the expanse
of the heavens.
21 And God created the great sea monsters,
and all that moves, having a living
body, which abounds the waters, according
to its kind; and every bird with wing
according to its kind. And God saw that it
was good.
22 And God blessed them, saying, Be
fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in
the seas; and let the birds multiply in the
earth.
23 And it was evening, and it was morning,
a fifth day.
24 ¶ And God said, Let the earth bring
forth the living soul according to its kind:

M

Miri

Willie you reminded me of when I was doing Sunday school and trying to
come up with a way of teaching the kids how to remember what happened in
what order, so I came up with this.

One - Sun (light)
Two - Blue (sea etc)
Three - Tree (green stuff)
Four - Soar (birds fish, Sun moon etc)
Five - Alive (animals etc)
Six - Lego bricks (people Lego men)
Seven - Heaven (day of rest)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Do you use the 1611?
The standard published KJB today is the same as the one published in 1611, other than changes is typeface, spelling, punctuations, and other minor differences. Here's a sample:

Authorized Version 1611

1In the beginning God created the Heauen, and the Earth.
2And the earth was without forme, and voyd, and darkenesse was vpon the face of the deepe: and the Spirit of God mooued vpon the face of the waters.
3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4And God saw the light, that it was good: and God diuided the light from the darkenesse.
5And God called the light, Day, and the darknesse he called Night: and the euening and the morning were the first day.
6¶ And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters: and let it diuide the waters from the waters.
7And God made the firmament; and diuided the waters, which were vnder the firmament, from the waters, which were aboue the firmament: and it was so.
8And God called the firmament, Heauen: and the euening and the morning were the second day.
9¶ And God said, Let the waters vnder the heauen be gathered together vnto one place, and let the dry land appeare: and it was so.
10And God called the drie land, Earth, and the gathering together of the waters called hee, Seas: and God saw that it was good.

King James Bible (contemporary)

1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
6And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which wereunder the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
9And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
10And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
No denomination is 100% right. I find important that the basic doctrine is right and gods word is treatet as gods word.

Dec 9, 2011
Because what it teaches matches with the bible on all the important basic foundational doctrines.

There are some things that cannot be negotiated, but many small issues that can be.
Some are taught wrong and don't correctly divide the Truth ,for Instance here on CC their are members that believe that salvation Is by Grace through faith alone and others might believe that salvation Is by Grace through faith plus works,so then I wonder why no one on here ever change their view regardless of how well the WORD Is Interpreted?

Last edited:

Sagart

May 7, 2017
As it says in the title, I am asking how do you know that your specific beliefs are leading you on a path to third-heaven? I don't ask this to start argument or debate but I'm very curious as to what makes you sure that your chosen church/denomination is the correct one to follow. Naturally I'd like to comment on every response to evoke more thought! I am 16 and very well-read. If/when quoting or citing scriptures please use the KJV (1611) version of the bible to keep everything mainstream and no mix up's in translations when I respond
style='font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal;orphans: 2; text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px' border=0 title="Big Grin" smilieid=3 class=inlineimg v:shapes="_x0000_i1025"> God Bless
My denomination does not have a statement of faith because it believes that statements of faith discourage pastors from seeking the truth from the Bible itself. I know that this is true from personal observation.

As to my own personal beliefs, I study the Bible in the three languages in which it was written—Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. I also compare my beliefs with very well read scholars who also study the Bible in the three languages in which it was written—and who have spent many years studying those languages. Additionally, I study the history of the interpretation of the Bible to make sure that I have not come up with a new interpretation—and so far, I have not. This is VERY important, because I am no one special, and if at least some other Christians throughout the history of Church did not find in the Bible what I have found, I did not really find it in the Bible. If the Bible is so difficult to understand that no one was able to understand it until the 16th century (or the 19th century), the Bible was so poorly written that it could not possibly be the inspired word of God.

Moreover, part of my daily morning devotional is to pray to God for Him to teach me His truths, and to protect me from error.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
A little bit from the KJ3:

Genesis 1
1 Creation of Heaven and Earth, 3 of light, 6 of
the Heavens, 9 land separated from the waters,
11 made fruitful, 14 the sun, the moon, and the
stars, 20 of fish and fowl, 24 of beasts and cattle,
26 of man in image of God, 29 and the appointment
of food.

1 ¶ In the beginning God created the heavens
and the earth;
2 and the earth being without form and
empty, and darkness being on the face of
the deep, and the Spirit of God hovering
on the face of the waters,
3 ¶ and God said, Let light be! And there
was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good,
and God separated between the light and
between the darkness.
5 And God called the light, Day. And He
called the darkness, Night. And it was
evening, and it was morning, day one.
6 ¶ And God said, Let an expanse be in
the midst of the waters, and let it be dividing
between the waters and waters.
7 And God made the expanse, and He
separated between the waters which were
under the expanse and the waters which
were above the expanse. And it was so.
8 And God called the expanse, Heavens.
And it was evening, and it was morning, a
second day.
9 ¶ And God said, Let the waters under
the heavens be collected to one place, and
let the dry land be seen. And it was so.
10 And God called the dry land, Earth.
And He called the collection of the waters,
Seas. And God saw that it was good.
11 And God said, Let the earth cause to
sprout grass, the plant seeding seed, the
fruit tree producing fruit according to its
kind, which seed is in it on the earth. And
it was so.
12 And the earth bore grass, the green
plant seeding seed according to its kind,
and the fruit tree producing fruit according
to its kind, which seed is in it. And
God saw that it was good.
13 And it was evening, and it was morning,
a third day.
14 ¶ And God said, Let luminaries be in
the expanse of the heavens, to divide between
the day and between the night. And
let them be for signs and for seasons, and
for days and years.
15 And let them be for luminaries in the
expanse of the heavens, to give light on
the earth. And it was so.
16 And God made the two great luminaries:
the great luminary to rule the day, and
the small luminary and the stars to rule the
night.
17 And God set them in the expanse of
the heavens, to give light on the earth,
18 and to rule over the day and over the
night; and to divide between the light and
between the darkness. And God saw that it
was good.
19 And it was evening, and it was morning,
a fourth day.
20 ¶ And God said, Let the waters swarm
with swarmers having a soul of life; and
let the birds fly over the earth and the expanse
of the heavens.
21 And God created the great sea monsters,
and all that moves, having a living
body, which abounds the waters, according
to its kind; and every bird with wing
according to its kind. And God saw that it
was good.
22 And God blessed them, saying, Be
fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in
the seas; and let the birds multiply in the
earth.
23 And it was evening, and it was morning,
a fifth day.
24 ¶ And God said, Let the earth bring
forth the living soul according to its kind:
How could earth be empty in the verse 2 when it was created in the verse 10?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Perhaps Masonian is his religion. Mason-ian a secular religion promoting the betterment of man by mans virtue.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

preacher4truth

Dec 28, 2016
It appears no one played into the set up of the OP so he boogied? :D

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Haven't read the whole thread, but surprised no one touches on this "path to the 3rd heaven" bit.

Jesus is the ONLY Path, no matter what Translation you use, or denomination you are.