How do you recognize the Holy Spirit in you?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
How does one perceive the Holy Spirit within them and see his working? The Holy Spirit is spoken of as a Comforter, Teacher, seal of guarantee of the inheritance... etc. Galatians also mentions the fruit of the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. How do you know when the Lord is working in you to produce the fruit of the Spirit? There are also many people who are not Christian who are very loving and kind.

Sep 3, 2016
How does one perceive the Holy Spirit within them and see his working? The Holy Spirit is spoken of as a Comforter, Teacher, seal of guarantee of the inheritance... etc. Galatians also mentions the fruit of the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. How do you know when the Lord is working in you to produce the fruit of the Spirit? There are also many people who are not Christian who are very loving and kind.
The Holy Spirit operates in a Christian by the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:2). This Law requires the Christian to place and maintain their Faith exclusively in Christ and the Finished Work at Calvary's Cross where the victory was won (The Blood of Jesus). This Law delivers you into the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, which allows the life of Christ to manifest through you by the power of the Holy Spirit (this includes the gifts of the Spirit and the fruit of the Spirit in demonstration of the Spirit and of power). This is how you receive grace and favor from the Lord because you are not frustrating grace, but growing in grace by walking and being led by the Holy Spirit.

The Believer who doesn't understand this or has chosen a different way is operating in the Law of Sin and Death (the works of the flesh - sin has dominion over them).

Sep 3, 2016
Again, God has chosen to operate His work from the basis of faith. "The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:2) is God's prescribed order of victory for the Believer over sin, the world, the flesh, and the Devil.

Dec 26, 2018

The Holy Spirit operates in a Christian by the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:2). This Law requires the Christian to place and maintain their Faith exclusively in Christ and the Finished Work at Calvary's Cross where the victory was won (The Blood of Jesus). This Law delivers you into the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ, which allows the life of Christ to manifest through you by the power of the Holy Spirit (this includes the gifts of the Spirit and the fruit of the Spirit in demonstration of the Spirit and of power). This is how you receive grace and favor from the Lord because you are not frustrating grace, but growing in grace by walking and being led by the Holy Spirit.

The Believer who doesn't understand this or has chosen a different way is operating in the Law of Sin and Death (the works of the flesh - sin has dominion over them).

How Is grace frustrated by a brother in Christ?

Dec 26, 2018
Yes I Believe in eternal salvation! But I do not believe the false doctrine of OSAS.
Do you believe that you could ever do something that would deem you not your fathers son? If you believe that Christ died for your sins and ressurected on the third day....(truly believe) you are secure....you could not deem yourself fatherless anymore than you could lose your salvation.....thoughts?

Dec 26, 2018
Yes I Believe in eternal salvation! But I do not believe the false doctrine of OSAS.
If you are saying that sin, which was shown to us by the law, can be imputed upon you, once you are a believer and partaker in dispinsation of grace, where was the victory in the cross?

bygrace

Dec 3, 2018
JOhn chpater 14 to 16 read them. Gal chapter 5 &6 Eph 4 to 6

Sep 3, 2016
If you are saying that sin, which was shown to us by the law, can be imputed upon you, once you are a believer and partaker in dispinsation of grace, where was the victory in the cross?
This is not the form for that topic. Start a form for justification and sanctification.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I think we see growth in our hearts capacity to selflessly love and forgive, regardless the return. We are stronger and those fruits should be detectable. I think we have seasons where we feel more in line with the spirit. I think when we do or do not, the same result should ensue...more time in prayer and the word.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
The answer to the question is this:

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law (RSV)

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
Hi Cherie,

Those who are not Christians can not truly love according to God's definition of love. They may have a moral code, but they can't love as God loves. We as Christians can. They can exhibit love and kindness according to the world's definition of what that is. God's love is described in 1 Corinthians 13. Mankind can not love as God loves unless they've been born from above.

There's a scripture that says the world will know that we're Christians by the love we have for one another. The Holy Spirit is not only our comforter, but He is also our guide to lead us into all truth. That would be an outward manifestation of one who is born again. We will see the truth of God lived our in their lives through obedience and through the fruit that can only be produced by the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said in John 15 that if we abide in Him, we will obey His commandments and therefore we will abide in His love. A true and genuine faith will produce obedience. He can't but help himself/herself. A bird flies, a cat meows, a dog barks and a Christian loves. To love means to abide in Christ and to obey His commandments just as He obeyed His father is heaven.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
How does one perceive the Holy Spirit within them and see his working?
The first epistle of John gives the Christian thirteen indicators (or evidences) that the Holy Spirit is working within the believer:

1. CONFESSION OF PRESENT SINS
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1 Jn 1:9,10)

2. FORSAKING OF ALL SINS
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.
And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous ( 1 Jn 2:1)

3. KEEPING CHRIST'S COMMANDMENTS
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. (1 Jn 2:3)

4. REFUSING TO LOVE THE WORLD (SINFUL ATTRACTIONS AND WORLDLINESS)
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (1 Jn 2:15)

5. ABIDING IN CHRIST (DOING RIGHTEOUSNESS)
And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him. (1 Jn 2:28,29)

6. PURIFYING ONESELF FROM ALL DEFILEMENT
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. (1 Jn 3:4)

7. GENUINELY LOVING OTHER CHRISTIANS
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another... But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? (1 Jn 3:11,17)

8. TRYING OR TESTING THE SPIRITS
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. (1 Jn 4:1)

9. BEING WITHOUT TORMENTED FEAR
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. (1 Jn 4:18)

10. BEING AN OVERCOMER BY FAITH
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. (1 Jn 5:4)

11. BELIEVING THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT IS WITHIN
He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself
: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. (1 Jn 5:10)

12. HAVING CONFIDENCE IN PRAYER
And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us
: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him. (1 Jn 5:14,15)

13. REJECTING ALL IDOLS (REAL AND METAPHORICAL)
Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen. (1 Jn 5:21)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Many times while giving glory to God, praising Him, with others His Presence in the Holy Spirit is felt and He seals the assembly's prayers and praise……….all feel this and are comforted, but there are many other manners in which the Holy Spirit will manifest, too many to simply make a list.

Jul 23, 2018
Both Jesus and the disciples,as well as the first church did not go out until endued with power.
Clearly a separate experience than salvation.
Clearly.
The baptism of the Holy Spirit is what we need to minister,love,and walk in holiness. He is the third person power in our walk.

I am glad this was settled in me in 1977 right after Jesus came into my life.

Thank you Jesus
Thank you Father
Thank you Holy Spirit

E

eternally-gratefull

Another thread, another hard, but great question. You love to make us think, God bless you sis!!

You have me on this one sis.. I think no matter what we say are proofs. Many people who are saved and not saved will convince themselves they have these proofs..

About all I can think of is when I was a prodigal child. I felt the pain of Gods chastening.. Which brought me back, I was angry at life. And could have been happy right where I was doing things I thought would make me happy but God had other thingss in view. He would not let me continue,, he brought me to my knees where I had to make a choice.

P

pottersclay

One of my evidences are that my life values has changed a great deal.
In most of my adult life the arm of the flesh proved the man. The strong will survive. ......ahhh not so.
The Lord had his hands full with this hard head lol.
I still am being taught how to love, how to care, and with each thing that the Lord touches my heart with, a piece of the old me falls to the ground.
I have many regrets as I reflect on my pass life but as Paul said we must press on. The only thing I can do now is share with my love ones and friends or whoever may hear the wisdom God has given me.
I actually have days where I miss the presence of the Lord . I stop what I'm doing and start looking, singing, praising until a certain comfort is restored in me.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
ow does one perceive the Holy Spirit within them and see his working? The Holy Spirit is spoken of as a Comforter, Teacher, seal of guarantee of the inheritance... etc. Galatians also mentions the fruit of the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. How do you know when the Lord is working in you to produce the fruit of the Spirit? There are also many people who are not Christian who are very loving and kind.
First, when a person receives the indwelling Holy Spirit they speak in tongues or more correctly are able to pray in a new tongue.
Second, one experiences the indwelling Holy Spirit - not an emotion but more of a revelation of the truth of God and the gospel.
Also the Holy Spirit usually sets us free immediately from bad addictions and sins that have imprisoned us.

Third, a Spirit-filled disciple has signs and power manifesting in their life and walk that confirms the same experience we can read
of in the first century church - praying in tongues, laying hands on the sick for healing, miracles and blessings.

Fourth, as we continue on we grow in knowledge and understanding of righteousness and the gospel and through the Spirit we
overcome our carnal selves and begin to develop the fruit of the Spirit in our walk. We are the same in our private life as we are
in any public domain.

Fifth, over time others can see the integrity of our testimony and our walk: and therefore we ought to be able to witness to people
about our own salvation experience and how they too can enjoy a personal relationship with God through receiving the Holy Spirit.

Sixth, the Holy Spirit gives us the boldness to come before the throne of grace and to pray in our spiritual tongue for other people
and their needs whether it be for healing, or salvation, or financial help, or sorting out for good an intractable problem.
We are a people of power by the Holy Spirit.